Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Klonoa the Dream Traveler

My reaction when people say FF7 is better than FF8

also half of the points youre making are firetrucking bullshit

"it was made after vii so its obviously better" no comments

"it has an amazing score" implying vii does not

"a better character driven story" even though squall is wildly considered one of the worst final fantasy protagonists

"has great pre rendered graphics and models so its obviosly better" still no comment

Edited by Bit.

Posted Image
Seriously, FF8 is nothing when compared to FF7. FF7 has great pre-rendered graphics and great models (Than FF8 blocky graphics), a better character driven story, an amazing score, and unique systems in GFs and juctioning. You can't say that FF8 has better content than FF7. Since FF7 is made before FF8. Plus I remember, the number 7 is cooler than the number 8.

Posted Image

Seriously, FF8 is nothing when compared to FF7. FF7 has great pre-rendered graphics and great models (Than FF8 blocky graphics), a better character driven story, an amazing score, and unique systems in GFs and juctioning. You can't say that FF8 has better content than FF7. Since FF7 is made before FF8. Plus I remember, the number 7 is cooler than the number 8.

No matter how you resist, FF8 is better than FF7.

It has sold more copies tho, thus making it at least statistically the "better" game. I played all of em and I still think ff7 is superior to all the others. With X being the 2nd best followed by 6,9,4 and 8. Also I don't remember ff8 having any other game/movie associated with it while there are numerous ff7-connected games and even a movie. Not to mention they even decided to finally remake it for ps4 because it's just THAT popular. There's a reason why kh 1 and 2 got sephiroth as a secret boss and not ultimecia ^^

Edited by kurasa25

Let's preface this by saying

Final Fantasy IX is better than either of those games

Now then

Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWnFqpAtRT0

Seriously, FF7 is nothing when compared to FF8.

That's what happens when you multiply by zero, you get nothing

FF8 has great pre-rendered graphics and great models (Than FF7 blocky graphics)

Exactly, which is why Advent Children is better than Toy Story. The CGI is better

a better character driven story

if by character driven  you mean action driven, then yes. The characters are pretty irrelevant to the plot, besides Laguna and his GF

While FF7 had an in depth world to explore that fit together, with simple but charming characters, FF8 dropped all that n order to tell an awful "love" story that ends with a time witch for no reason

an amazing score

unlike other Final Fantasy games, which are known for their lackluster sound design

a unique systems in GFs and juctioning.

Unique doesn't mean good. The Junction system basically gave you two ways to play, you could either completely break the game, or be hopelessly underpowered. It also gave you two remarkably tedious ways to grind, either drawing 100 of every spell for eveyr party member, or grinding a card game, hoping against hope to destroy the Random rule forever

You can't say that FF7 has better content than FF8. Since FF8 is made after FF7

Ah, but I can, FF7 wasn't he;d back by unnecessarily advanced graphics, so they have a great breadth of content on offer without sacrificing much else. By comparison, FF8 relied pretty much entirely on hiding its content in the most obscure ways possible to ensure nobody played it (probably because they were worried getting people to play FF8 would become a war crime in the future)

Plus I remember, the number 8 is greater than the number 7.

Only according to modern science

You seriously think FF8 is better than FF7? That is so laughable.

It's called having an opinion

a wrong opinion

but an opinion

It has sold more copies tho, thus making it at least statistically the "better" game.

Exactly, much like how 358/2 Days is the best KH spin off, on account of its sales

I played all of em and I still think ff7 is superior to all the others. 

That's interesting, considering FF7 has by far aged the worst besides MAYBE the NES games

With X being the 2nd best followed by 6,9,4 and 8.

I can understand some misguided belief that FF7 is better than FF9, but FFX? C'mon

Also I don't remember ff8 having any other game/movie associated with it

which is a good thing

there are numerous ff7-connected games and even a movie.

Not exactly a great selling point to have a bunch of garbage spin offs and an awful movie

Not to mention they even decided to finally remake it for ps4 because it's just THAT popular.

Yup, because luckily for Square not many people have actually gone back and replayed FF7 and realized how bad it aged. Heck, a lot of people who love FF7 haven't even played the actual main game, getting their interpretations of Cloud and the like from things like KH or Advent Children

There's a reason why kh 1 and 2 got sephiroth as a secret boss and not ultimecia ^^

Yeah, pandering fanservice in lieu of creative or fitting crossovers

Personally I prefer FF9.

that's called being correct

This might be in the random section but I don't care, I played them both for the first time in 2010 and yeah FF8 is better. It's aged much better, better graphics, better translation, better story, it at least tries to have its own story whereas VII took VI's and wrapped it in a newer (worse) package. It was far more ambitious, too, having you play as two different parties in two different eras then eventually intertwining them. Yes, please. Awesome. The gameplay too was great. Junctioning magic to your stats discourages spamming, ensuring for more reserved tactical battles. The antagonist for a good part of the game is connected to the whole party making it a personal thing, whereas in FFVII it's Cloud settling the score and the party tagging along cause the world is at stake. The antagonist is also more than a deranged lunatic with dedication to something that's clearly not his real mother and has a more interesting goal then setting a comet on a crash course for the world.Reply with a gif or video of overexaggerated laughter or just someone shaking their head I don't care.Of course FFIX is the best of the PSX era but this topic isn't about that.

it at least tries to have its own story whereas VII took VI's and wrapped it in a newer (worse) package

I mean, that's the common joke, but it's not REALLY true

It was far more ambitious, too, having you play as two different parties in two different eras then eventually intertwining them

...how exactly is that more ambitious? FF7 is definitely the more ambitious game, they made the jump to 3D, adn they went all out on it. Like the old trailers said, they were making the video game equivalent of a movie

The gameplay too was great.

It really wasn't

Junctioning magic to your stats discourages spamming

actually, magic besides Meltdown and Aura were useless, which discouraged spamming

ensuring for more reserved tactical battles. 

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

reserved

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

tactical

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

yeah

okay

The antagonist for a good part of the game is connected to the whole party making it a personal thing

I mean, maybe if anybody KNEW about that it might be personal. As it stands the plot was more "BLAH EVL WITCH"

in FFVII it's Cloud settling the score and the party tagging along cause the world is at stake.

Yeah, it definitely wasn't personal for any of the other party members, like Tifa who's home was torched and her father killed by Sephiroth, or Barret who had his life destroyed by Shinra and then ended up getting his AVALANCHE team killed. Or Red XIII being experimented on. Or uffie having her culture destroyed. Or Aeris being a ember of a species integral to the plot. Or Vincent, who was killed and turned into a vampire and stuff. Or Cid, who lost his space dream

Yeah, it was completely impersonal. They were practically in the adventure for no reason

Not like in FF8, where your team mates all have deep and personal reasons to be there such as "We go to school together" and "I'm your teacher" and even "I love you I guess"

The antagonist is also more than a deranged lunatic with dedication to something that's clearly not his real mother and has a more interesting goal then setting a comet on a crash course for the world.

Agreed, we got a much better villain in the form of a time witch from the future who is revealed at the last second has no character development who wants to destroy time because reasons. Truly, what's her face will go down in history as one of gaming's greatest antagonists

FFVIII is my favourite one since it's the first FF I played, I loved its story, characters, gameplay and blah blah blah all of the things like that. I also do recognize FFVII is one of SE's biggest masterpieces, but that doesn't mean everyone loves it... One may like FFVII more than FFVIII or viceversa, that's just a personal opinion about two "different" games... but that means nothing to me. I like this, and you like that: that's all.

Edited by Seeker Of Nothingness

My god I've been looking for this song for years and I never found it till today. thanks mr skeletal

Wow Klonao you finally found a successful troll xD bwahahahaha!!!

This strikes the nerves of hurt fanboys everywhere. The butt hurt is reaaaaal /shot Edited by Guest

I mean, that's the common joke, but it's not REALLY true

An evil empire (corporation) is draining life energy from espers (mako) and making genetic super soldiers through magitek augmentation (the Jenova Project). The first subject to under magitek augmentation (get infused with Jenova cells) is the game's ultimate villain, Kefka (Spehiroth). Kefka (Sephiroth) becomes a general in Emporer Gestahl's (President Shinra's) army and eventually kills his master. The heroes, the Returners (Avalanche), include a girl with a mysterious mystical background and a former Imperial (Corporate) soldier. Finally, Kefka (Sephiroth) is confronted, turns into an angel-like being and is destroyed by the heroes. Yeah it's REALLY true. Kinda hard to miss. 

...how exactly is that more ambitious? FF7 is definitely the more ambitious game, they made the jump to 3D, adn they went all out on it. Like the old trailers said, they were making the video game equivalent of a movie

I was talking about the story. Though I don't know what movies you watch if you agree that FF7 is the videogame equivalent of a movie 

It really wasn't actually, magic besides Meltdown and Aura were useless, which discouraged spamming

So it discourages spamming? Good glad we're in agreement. 

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAyeahokay

Laugh all you want but when you can beat the final boss of your game by using KotR ONCE then yeah to say VII has a more tactical and reserved battle system than VIII is just refusing to accept what you don't want to.   

I mean, maybe if anybody KNEW about that it might be personal. As it stands the plot was more "BLAH EVL WITCH"

Ah, so you didn't pay attention. Got it. That also explains why you don't see the extreme similarities between VI and VII's plot. 

Yeah, it definitely wasn't personal for any of the other party members, like Tifa who's home was torched and her father killed by Sephiroth, or Barret who had his life destroyed by Shinra and then ended up getting his AVALANCHE team killed. Or Red XIII being experimented on. Or uffie having her culture destroyed. Or Aeris being a ember of a species integral to the plot. Or Vincent, who was killed and turned into a vampire and stuff. Or Cid, who lost his space dreamYeah, it was completely impersonal. They were practically in the adventure for no reasonNot like in FF8, where your team mates all have deep and personal reasons to be there such as "We go to school together" and "I'm your teacher" and even "I love you I guess"

Yes, all of that is definitely has everything to do with Sephiroth. 

Agreed, we got a much better villain in the form of a time witch from the future who is revealed at the last second has no character development who wants to destroy time because reasons. Truly, what's her face will go down in history as one of gaming's greatest antagonists

Yeah you definitely payed no attention whatsoever just like any other person who hates VIII simply because it follows after VII without being VII cause Ultimecia was there since disc 1. As for her reasons, they're there, they're just not thrown into your face ad nauseum. That's one of the good things about VIII's writing, they had (clearly misplaced) faith in the intelligence of the player and didn't feel the need to spoon feed you everything. Even IX was cleverer with the way they revealed the villain's motives with Zidane travelling to Terra. But VII went lazy and cliche with a lame flashback.