Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sora96

The greatest JRPG of all time turns 14

The greatest JRPG of all time is now 14-years-old. Despite the PlayStation 2's initial small market at the time, it achieved platinum status in Japan after only one day. It would go on to sell almost 7 million copies worldwide by January 2004. Readers of Famitsu magazine voted it the best game of all time in early 2006. Final Fantasy X can be considered a pioneer in 3-D RPG maps. It holds a 92 rating on Metacritic. It also spawned the first direct-sequel in franchise history with Final Fantasy X-2 which sold 4 million copies before its release in Europe.

Final Fantasy X featured an all-star team of devs including producer Yoshinori Kitase, directors Motomu Toriyama, Takayoshi Nakazato and Toshiro Tsuchida. The game also featured four scenario writers in Kazushige Nojima, Daisuke Watanabe, Motomu Toriyama and Yoshinori Kitase. Along with art directors Yusuke Naora and Shintaro Takai. Main character designer Tetsuya Nomura, composers Nobuo Uematsu, Masashi Hamauzu and Junya Nakano with programmers Koji Sugimoto and Takashi Katano.

Over a decade later, it was beautifully remastered in high definition with its sequel and released as Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster for PlayStation 3 & PlayStation Vita and despite the PS3 market moving onto PlayStation 4 the HD collection still still sold very highly with over 500,000 copies sold in Japan alone after less than a year. With even further enhanced graphics they were released on PlayStation 4 earlier this year.

Final Fantasy X continues to win various awards even in 2015.

Following the release of a novella titled Final Fantasy X-2.5 by Kazushige Nojima and an audio drama included in Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster and Nojima admitting he'd like to see a second sequel speculation remains high that Final Fantasy X-3 is now in development with director of the Final Fantasy X series Motomu Toriyama confirming his new project will be announced in 2015.

Guys it's alright to state your differing opinions but please do so in a kind civil manner, and try to keep things on topic please!

Anyways I'm really enjoying Final Fantasy X (playing it right now actually haha) glad to hear it turned 14 today. 

Guys it's alright to state your differing opinions but please do so in a kind civil manner, and try to keep things on topic please!

Anyways I'm really enjoying Final Fantasy X (playing it right now actually haha) glad to hear it turned 14 today. 

Wakeless has amazing taste!!!!!!!!!!  :wub:

Kind of a bold decision to call it "the greatest JRPG of all time." If it is, I must have horrible taste in games, because I didn't enjoy it.

not bad taste, FFX is a deeply flawed game in many respects

"Why does everyone ask about Chrono Trigger?" he laughed. We told him it's a very loved series. "That's not what the sales tell me!" he responded.

"If people want a sequel, they should buy more!" 

this quote was when they released a barebones port for the DS and charged more than a full 3D remake of FF4. It was great for me, who hadn't played Chrono Trigger yet, but offered very little to fans (outside a scene that ties it to Cross)

Square was stupid to think this would sell well, when you can get the original on Virtual Console for 8 bucks

not bad taste, FFX is a deeply flawed game in many respects

this quote was when they released a barebones port for the DS and charged more than a full 3D remake of FF4. It was great for me, who hadn't played Chrono Trigger yet, but offered very little to fans (outside a scene that ties it to Cross)

Square was stupid to think this would sell well, when you can get the original on Virtual Console for 8 bucks

It wasn't released on Virtual Console until 2011. Lol. Also it was the very first ever release of Chrono Trigger in Europe/Australia and the first release in the entire world since the buggy PSOne ports.

but the point is that virtual console SNES games were 8 dollars

Chrono Trigger DS was sold for 45

And a lot more people owned DS over Wii, not to mention Wii used that silly Wii points system. And the DS version added a lot of new content and again, first release in Europe/Australia.

And a lot more people owned DS over Wii, not to mention Wii used that silly Wii points system. And the DS version added a lot of new content and again, first release in Europe/Australia.

100 points = 1 dollar doesn't seem confusing enough that a person wouldn't get it. Or emulate it, as you might be forced to do ("Gee, I wonder why Chrono sold bad... maybe it has something to do with us not releasing it in half the world?")

The DS version's added content was pretty insubstantial. All the extra dungeons were major grindfests with lackluster rewards. The only notable addition was the five second new ending they added that tied it to Chrono Cross. And again, for comparison, Final Fantays IV DS came out around the same time, was cheaper, and was a full 3D remake with sweeping revisions and voice acting. The least they could've done with Chrono is make it cheaper, since it was little more than a straight port

Basically, Chrono does bad because Square Enix sets it up to do bad, it's not the fans fault they have standards

Nah FFX is just the ancestor to VII and has a lot of the same staff.

the actually games are signficantly different though, one is ATB, one is turn based, one is linear, one has a world map, one has defined class, the other has a party of mage knights

even the world and story are pretty significantly different

though of course, they do take place in the same universe

What makes FFX a great game? I didn't really enjoy it at all.

Everything! Amazing story, great battle system, amazing soundtrack, fun mini-games, and for the time amazing graphics and world.