Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Klonoa the Dream Traveler

Why do people want Marvel characters in Kingdom Hearts?

I've NEVER seen a member on this site ask for Marvel characters to be in KH. In fact, threads that have talked about this sort of thing always have members saying "Noooooo Marvel would ruin Kingdom Hearts".

Edited by Tails

I actually wouldn't mind marvel in KH I could see Avengers fitting in somewhat perfectly if they just change things around a bit. I'd actually like a Loki secret Boss battle in the Colosseum if anything. I highly doubt it'll be in, but in my opinion there is no reason why it can't/shouldn't be, though, if it's not in there whatever. If it is, neat, but It won't destroy the series. 

The only reason they wouldn't fit is because of how hard it would be to figure out a world, and how to structure everything like story and such. The world wouldn't do it justice. Now, secret bosses, summons, items? Those would be fine. 

Pixar and Star Wars could legitimately work, though. Definitely Pixar, Star Wars might be tricky, but the tone and themes fit perfectly.

I've NEVER seen a member on this site ask for Marvel characters to be in KH. In fact, threads that have talked about this sort of thing always have members saying "Noooooo Marvel would ruin Kingdom Hearts".

You must have skipped nearly every post I and at least a couple others have made on the subject. (Although I've tended to flip-flop on my position admittedly.) Right now, I'm at the point to where I would like to see them in the games, but it's not top-priority or anything. You're right, though, that there's more people who absolutely do not want them in the game at all.  

Edited by Kaweebo

Look, I love Marvel ever since they were purchased by Disney. They've created a fantastic cinematic universe which is entertaining to watch and provides memorable characters and funny story-lines and it's unfortunately evident that Marvel video games (aside Marvel versus Capcom) are just downright terrible.

I see why people want Marvel in Kingdom Hearts: it'll be an absolute overload of all things awesome! The stuff of dreams! The Avengers and The Guardians Of Light collaborating in unison to stop a larger threat than themselves! But this is the very reason why it shouldn't be in Kingdom Hearts 3 at least: it's an overload.

Unlike Disney movies, Marvel (and Star Wars) is far too rich with lore. Pirates Of The Caribbean and Tron worked because they were movies that were not too rich with their lore and were not overloaded with key characters. It just wouldn't mesh well: it's like putting curry with ice cream. Final Fantasy and Disney fusing worked because they are both Fantasy and Fairytale inspired properties. Marvel + Star Wars with Kingdom Hearts 3 would be too much to suffice.

Look, I love Marvel ever since they were purchased by Disney. They've created a fantastic cinematic universe which is entertaining to watch and provides memorable characters and funny story-lines and it's unfortunately evident that Marvel video games (aside Marvel versus Capcom) are just downright terrible.

I see why people want Marvel in Kingdom Hearts: it'll be an absolute overload of all things awesome! The stuff of dreams! The Avengers and The Guardians Of Light collaborating in unison to stop a larger threat than themselves! But this is the very reason why it shouldn't be in Kingdom Hearts 3 at least: it's an overload.

Unlike Disney movies, Marvel (and Star Wars) is far too rich with lore. Pirates Of The Caribbean and Tron worked because they were movies that were not too rich with their lore and were not overloaded with key characters. It just wouldn't mesh well: it's like putting curry with ice cream. Final Fantasy and Disney fusing worked because they are both Fantasy and Fairytale inspired properties. Marvel + Star Wars with Kingdom Hearts 3 would be too much to suffice.

Given how many times S/D/G enter into random parts of the Disney films (Mulan just before she joins the army, Hercules after his quest of self-discovery and training to become a hero, Aladdin after meeting Jasmine, Pirates after Jack Sparrow arrives at Port Royal, The Lion King when Simba's grown up, Tron after the film itself had already happened, etc.) I don't really think it'd be that big of a deal if, say, they adapted The Avengers movie in a KH game to not have experienced the last five films of Phase 1. We don't need to re-tread the origins of Iron Man, Thor, Cap, Hulk or any of the characters (and any details we need to know would probably be brought up in the game) just like we didn't need a full game showing Simba's origins or Mulan's decision to join the army and meeting Mushu or any of that stuff. The important part is being able to hang out with the Avengers and beat Loki and that's really it.

Same thing with Star Wars. What if there was a world being fought over in the Clone Wars that S/D/G run into? Do we really need to have seen Anakin's rise to Jedi Knight status or any of the events of Episodes I and II? No, these games run on the assumption that you already have a general idea of what these characters have gone through. It would be different compared to the Disney Animated films since Disney obviously owns all of them so Square can use any of them whereas they can't with some of Marvel and all of SW's films, but the core idea is the same. The 'lore' is not important, it's the current story and the characters you meet that are important and give you some sense of either nostalgia or just good feelings. 

I'm not saying either would be great ideas, (I would like to see them, though) and they could easily be screwed up. But in concept, it's not really different than any other Disney world that has a larger history and you're just jumping in the middle. Square has balanced that and the cast of characters with relative skill before so I don't have reason to doubt they would with either of those properties. (Even Pirates handled that decently well, it was really just some the lack of any sort of acknowledgement of how out-of-place S/D/G were in the world besides the first cutscene and the generally amateur voice-acting that throws me off. I can see Marvel & SW getting screwed up easily in this regard, though.)

Edited by Kaweebo

Given how many times S/D/G enter into random parts of the Disney films (Mulan just before she joins the army, Hercules after his quest of self-discovery and training to become a hero, Aladdin after meeting Jasmine, Pirates after Jack Sparrow arrives at Port Royal, The Lion King when Simba's grown up, Tron after the film itself had already happened, etc.) I don't really think it'd be that big of a deal if, say, they adapted The Avengers movie in a KH game to not have experienced the last five films of Phase 1. We don't need to re-tread the origins of Iron Man, Thor, Cap, Hulk or any of the characters (and any details we need to know would probably be brought up in the game) just like we didn't need a full game showing Simba's origins or Mulan's decision to join the army and meeting Mushu or any of that stuff. The important part is being able to hang out with the Avengers and beat Loki and that's really it.

Same thing with Star Wars. What if there was a world being fought over in the Clone Wars that S/D/G run into? Do we really need to have seen Anakin's rise to Jedi Knight status or any of the events of Episodes I and II? No, these games run on the assumption that you already have a general idea of what these characters have gone through. It would be different compared to the Disney Animated films since Disney obviously owns all of them so Square can use any of them whereas they can't with some of Marvel and all of SW's films, but the core idea is the same. The 'lore' is not important, it's the current story and the characters you meet that are important and give you some sense of either nostalgia or just good feelings. 

I'm not saying either would be great ideas, (I would like to see them, though) and they could easily be screwed up. But in concept, it's not really different than any other Disney world that has a larger history and you're just jumping in the middle. Square has balanced that and the cast of characters with relative skill before so I don't have reason to doubt they would with either of those properties. (Even Pirates handled that decently well, it was really just some the lack of any sort of acknowledgement of how out-of-place S/D/G were in the world besides the first cutscene and the generally amateur voice-acting that throws me off. I can see Marvel & SW getting screwed up easily in this regard, though.)

The thing is, Marvel and Star Wars is its own franchise. Aside Frozen, none of these Disney worlds are really "their own franchise" that is as large as Star Wars and Marvel. Marvel and Star Wars are too rich in lore and downsizing them as "select worlds" would be disrespectful to the source material (which is probably why Marvel/Lucasfilm wouldn't accept them in the series anyway). Disney worlds can get away with the downsizing because the lore just isn't as rich: Marvel/Lucasfilm can't.

A Marvel summon-yes. Not a world though. I want Marvel in KH3 but ONLY a small thing such as a keyblade, summon or a small cameo.  Not a world though.

No, I even disagree with that. I just want Marvel weapons as small Easter Eggs. An Iron Man Keyblade, A Captain America Shield and a Thor Staff. Anything more and it would negatively dilute the Kingdom Hearts Universe.

The thing is, Marvel and Star Wars is its own franchise. Aside Frozen, none of these Disney worlds are really "their own franchise" that is as large as Star Wars and Marvel. Marvel and Star Wars are too rich in lore and downsizing them as "select worlds" would be disrespectful to the source material (which is probably why Marvel/Lucasfilm wouldn't accept them in the series anyway). Disney worlds can get away with the downsizing because the lore just isn't as rich: Marvel/Lucasfilm can't.

Sure, you and I know that, but the characters don't. I'm not sure how skipping on a few of the MCU movies before The Avengers would be any amount of 'disrespectful', especially considering that Square can't actively use them since they aren't owned by Disney. Are those franchises more rich in lore than the Disney films? Yes, obviously. But even some of those films have a great deal of lore that haven't and most likely won't ever be revisited in the KH franchise, as well. I mean, Merlin the Wizard is a pretty big supportive character in the KH series yet it's not like we've ever gone through a 'The Sword and the Stone' world. Is it somehow disrespectful to include that character without faithfully adapting the film that he comes from?

The point is that deciding that there being a world set during The Clone Wars TV show and skipping the first two Star Wars prequel films that Square can't legally use anyway is somehow being 'disrespectful to the source material' and missing out on all of that 'rich lore' is you projecting your own preference to not include SW at all and acting as if there are somehow rules in place that would make something like that unfeasible, which there aren't. There is nothing that prevents an MCU movie or one of the SW animated cartoons from being adapted on its own merits without requiring any sort of additional history. 

Also, the fact that this...

http://kh13.com/forum/gallery/album/1233-star-wars-cancelled-kingdom-hearts-game-concept-art/

...exists disproves the idea that Lucasfilm wouldn't accept it in the KH series. The jury's still out on Marvel, but I have a feeling they probably wouldn't be as lenient on letting their properties show up in KH. But even if they did, I don't think either would negatively impact the series at all. I didn't like how the Pirates world turned out and even then, that didn't significantly impact my overall opinion of KHII. Ultimately, these franchises would exist as literally just separate 'levels' in a game much bigger than the both of them and acting as if either inclusion would ruin everything is insane. 

Edited by Kaweebo

I Don't Think They'd Fit In Too Well. But If They Do Decide To Put Them In There I Doubt It'd Be Bad Because We Haven't Really Been Let Down By The Decisions The Developers Made Thus Far :3

Sure, you and I know that, but the characters don't. I'm not sure how skipping on a few of the MCU movies before The Avengers would be any amount of 'disrespectful', especially considering that Square can't actively use them since they aren't owned by Disney. Are those franchises more rich in lore than the Disney films? Yes, obviously. But even some of those films have a great deal of lore that haven't and most likely won't ever be revisited in the KH franchise, as well. I mean, Merlin the Wizard is a pretty big supportive character in the KH series yet it's not like we've ever gone through a 'The Sword and the Stone' world. Is it somehow disrespectful to include that character without faithfully adapting the film that he comes from?

The point is that deciding that there being a world set during The Clone Wars TV show and skipping the first two Star Wars prequel films that Square can't legally use anyway is somehow being 'disrespectful to the source material' and missing out on all of that 'rich lore' is you projecting your own preference to not include SW at all and acting as if there are somehow rules in place that would make something like that unfeasible, which there aren't. There is nothing that prevents an MCU movie or one of the SW animated cartoons from being adapted on its own merits without requiring any sort of additional history. 

Also, the fact that this...

http://kh13.com/forum/gallery/album/1233-star-wars-cancelled-kingdom-hearts-game-concept-art/

...exists disproves the idea that Lucasfilm wouldn't accept it in the KH series. The jury's still out on Marvel, but I have a feeling they probably wouldn't be as lenient on letting their properties show up in KH. But even if they did, I don't think either would negatively impact the series at all. I didn't like how the Pirates world turned out and even then, that didn't significantly impact my overall opinion of KHII. Ultimately, these franchises would exist as literally just separate 'levels' in a game much bigger than the both of them and acting as if either inclusion would ruin everything is insane. 

But the thing is, compare the fanbase of a Disney movie like The Sword and The Stone against the fan base of any Marvel movie? It's clearly evident that the Marvel fanbase is far more vocal and sensitive about their Marvel property as opposed to "The Sword and The Stone". Besides, half the target demographic of that movie are middle aged men and women who couldn't care less for Kingdom Hearts, so, "Merlins world not being featured" is not the strongest argument. It's pointless adapting "The Sword and the Stone" in Kingdom Hearts 3 as it's another Forest and Castle world (Tangled/The Black Cauldron).

Also, do you notice something in regards to that beta KH game? It's not developed by Square Enix. That company that was producing the game is not a major competitor for Activision, therefore, implementing Star Wars/Marvel wouldn't be an issue. However, because this is a Square Enix developed game, earning rights to I.P's outside Disney Interactive (Disney/PIXAR) is difficult and more expensive to accomplish. Tetsuya Nomura wouldn't have said the quote he said in regards to Lucasfilm just becuase he's trolling, Marvel/Star Wars just cannot be implemented in this moment in time.

Imagine the Avengers as secret bosses in Olympus Coliseum. That would've been awesome!Also, a Marvel-related summon actually seems possible.

It will probably never happen, though.

The most closest thing to Marvel I want to see is either Sora, Donald and Goofy having marvel inspired weapons or superhero outfits for San Fransokyo (as Big Hero 6 is inspired by the Marvel series of the same name). Sora having an Iron Man Keyblade/Inspired Superhero Costume, Donald having a Thor Staff/Inspired Superhero Costume Goofy having a Captain America Shield/Inspired Superhero Costume would be awesome!