Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

What do Donald and Goofy add to Kingdom Hearts?

Dolan and Gooby. Now that they're back as party members, this suddenly makes me wonder: what does everybody else think Donald and Goofy provide in the series storyline? Imagine how the storylines would be like if Sora traveled solo like KH3D then you can imagine the contributions that Donald and Gooby provide to the Disney worlds?

Edited by Guest

Well, Sora's strength comes from his friends to begin with. It wouldn't really make sense for him to be going solo if he, unlike Riku, draws his power from his friends. Having Dolan and Gooby there is also a way to have two of the most popular Disney characters be able to interact with other popular Disney characters in an interesting way alongside Sora. Plus, Sora's interactions solo in DDD (and Data Sora in Coded) were kind of drab compared to how they work as a trio in the numbered titles and CoM. (Riku's side, I felt was much more enjoyable in DDD. The best world that Sora visited in DDD was, funnily enough, the Country of Musketeers, which featured Donald, Goofy and Mickey.) The duck and dogman round Sora out and keep him balanced...and not just in personality, but also in gameplay, since the entire party system is built on 'Mage--Fighter---Mixed', with variances there depending on if you're using a world-based party member as substitute. 

The only way a party like that could be equaled would be if they swapped Donald and Goofy with Riku and Kairi, but honestly, at this point, Donald and Goofy have been mainstays in the party for so long that KH would feel like it was missing something without them. Sora, as a character, works best alongside those guys during their adventures, as they're all on the same page most of the time.  

Edited by Kaweebo

Sora would have never come so far without Donald and Goofy in the first place, especially in Kingdom Hearts 1. But at this point they don't really provide anything in the storyline, besides accompanying Sora and being funny. Nevertheless I really missed them and am happy they're back as party members, it was kinda boring running through the big worlds all alone. Donald and Goofy are Sora's friends, his family, and like he said: "My friends are my power!" Sora needs them, especially Goofy who is the brain of the trio, to activate his full power (for the drive forms he needef them too). So they may don't provide much to the story or worlds, but are important for Sora being who he is now.

Edit: This is worth a thousand words:

Posted Image

Edited by Felixx

Well besides offering comic relief, and helping Sora fight,  they have their strengths! :D

Donald: The Motivator, and Go Getter- He wants things done, and he wants them done right. He's learned to be more sympathetic of his teammates feelings since the first game, but he's definitely the "motor" of the group.

Goofy: The Inspiration, and Protector- He's literally the emotional support of the group, often suggesting calmer ways to resolve an issue. Not to mention his silly mannerisms often put a smile on the face of the others.

Jimney is also a great member of the party. Although he's often forgotten, he does pop up every now and then to put the others back in line, and offer sound advice! :)

Putting aside the fact that Donald could burn in hell for him being completely useless gameplay wise, like most people have said already, both of them are Sora's goofy pals, I couldnt imagine going on an adventure without them, which is why Im glad they are back as party members for 3, its been too long.

Dolan and Gooby and Sora make sense as a group because they have fought and braved the hardest of trials. They have also become best friends on their journey.

Sora, Riku and Kairi work as best friends, but only Sora and Riku have that synchronization when they fight. Also, I don't think Sora would like to endanger Kairi, she being a newbie Keyblade wielder and all. But in the end, I just prefer Dolan and Gooby, for their cheerful and supportive nature.

Goofy ads nice attacks like the tornado or the shield throw, as well as funny quotes and scenes (like his ahyuk, or however is written, and his revival scene after Demyx's death). Donald just ads sentences that can't be understanded without subtitles; learn how to speak, Donald!

Well, and storyline wise, is just like what many people said, they give Sora strength and have saved him in several ocasions: Larxene (Chain), Riku (KH1), Pete (Coded)...

And gameplay wise, in KH1, Goofy gave you MP and Donald HP, while you striked the enemy with Ars Arcanum, which was quite a combo. In Chain, you could do nice stuff with them before you had good cards and Sleighs (or however they were called). In KH2, Goofy wasn't bad, actually, his Limit Breaks were good, but Donald... he is terrible, especially when you get Curaga, that's when his Cure is useless.

Edited by Xamtehwt Trece

Idk but its nice to have them as party members. I hope they're somehow involved in the final battle. It'd be a shame for them to get kicked to the curb in favor of the other original KH characters. Donald and Goofy have been there with Sora since the beginning, after all. Might as well be with him at the end too.

Plotwise, keep in mind that they were very much on a journey of their own in KH1, CoM, and KH2 as they tried to track down the King. In fact, if anything, the plot NEEDS them to find Sora, as they're the ones who help him go to other worlds to try and find Riku and Kairi. More importantly, their relationship to Sora is probably one of the best things in the game. They start off as complete strangers, and, in Donald's case, view each other as temporary allies and a means to an end. But eventually, they wind up becoming truer friends then they thought possible, putting aside the mission to try and aid a friend in need. Not to mention they act as the catalyst for why Riku gives in to his illusions of abandoment.

Charm and levity. Kingdom Hearts would be too serious without them, especially KH3 where we're going to be trying to stop a literal apocalypse. Even Sora can get mopey sometimes and when he does, they're the ones who drag him out of it. And we all saw what happens when they're not there to do that in 3D.

Edited by Isamu_Kuno

Wow, half these reasons like...

Larxene would have killed sora if it was not for donald and goofy remember?

never really occurred to me as to why these two were so vital towards his journey. I'm glad that Donald and Goofy are consider important to the series.

I've always seen Sora as the personification of Mickey which is why the gang of Sora, Donald and Goofy work so well.

I've always seen Sora as the personification of Mickey which is why the gang of Sora, Donald and Goofy work so well.

I think that's true too. I always saw Sora as the spirit of disney seeing how he is always so happy and goofy (just like Donald, Goofy and Mickey)

Because you can't have Disney without Dolan and Gooby. It's also refreshing how Sora, Donald, and Goofy seem to be the strongest trio of friends without any betrayals or angst or strings attached, alongside Hayner, Pence, and Olette.

Well besides offering comic relief, and helping Sora fight,  they have their strengths! :D

Donald: The Motivator, and Go Getter- He wants things done, and he wants them done right. He's learned to be more sympathetic of his teammates feelings since the first game, but he's definitely the "motor" of the group.

Goofy: The Inspiration, and Protector- He's literally the emotional support of the group, often suggesting calmer ways to resolve an issue. Not to mention his silly mannerisms often put a smile on the face of the others.

Jiminy is also a great member of the party. Although he's often forgotten, he does pop up every now and then to put the others back in line, and offer sound advice! :)

Wow, that is arguably one of the best plot related reasons as to why Sora, Donald and Goofy work so well. Fun fact, Pinocchio isn't the only movie Jiminy Cricket is featured in for Walt Disney Animation Studio. Another point with Goofy is that he's also designed to spot subtlety. He realised Mulan was a woman immediately.

They make me laugh.  Do we need any other reason?

Yeah, in the world of Kingdom Hearts: we do. The soldiers in Mulan are funny and that's pretty much it: they didn't really add anything memorable as staple Disney cameo characters. Don't worry though, both Donald and Goofy are guaranteed to add more to Kingdom Hearts 3 as opposed to the previous two titles.