Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sorual

Nintendo Going A Bit Overboard W/ Mainstream Marketing?

is nintendo going a bit overboard with hype fuel and mainstream marketting? it seemed to all start pretty recently. around when the new 3ds was comming out. it seemed like they were giving a new 3ds to just about every "popular" youtuber in existance (like ijustine, smash games, black nerd, etc.) and to be honest, it seems like they are only mentioning the good things about the game or system or whatever. first it was the new 3ds, then splatoon, and now mario maker. dont get me wrong. hype is fine. but nintendo seems to be trying really freaking hard to hit the mainstream market. i was thinking that maybe they are even paying the youtubers who they give the things to to do videos on them. and maybe even only mention the good thing. thankfully, i dont think the second part is true because jwittz gave kirby's rainbow curse a sub-par review. so thankfully i know that they arent getting paid to say good things. but still, i feel this might be a bit much. giving all their games to popular youtubers to get th youtubers' fans to buy the game and all that. hype is fine but its just meh for me with what they are doing with the youtubers. i just watch these videos and here them say "its so hype!" or "i love this" and all that. not all of it is good like that (again, jwitts' kirby rainbow curse review), but like 95% of it is really good. obvoisly this doesent apply to reviewers tho. i understand that reviews arent marketting perse unless the review scores are good. and i know reviews are important to have as early as possible. (hense early copies)

and at the end of the day, i know. its marketing. they are just doing what is needed for their products to sell as well as possible. and i also know nintendo isnt the only one doing this. i saw a similar think with MGSV phantom pain, but its still seems like nintendo is most prominant. i know what their doing isnt "bad". its really only "good" because it improves their sales. it still feels like the youtubers selling out and nintendo being the ones buying them. it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. but i know, its marketting. everything needs good marketting. (its one of the reasons the wii u wasent selling well. bad marketting) but it still feels like their method is a sellout. even if they might not be paying the youtubers directly with money, they are still paying then in giving them publicity, and of course, the game. and theres no denying that they are most likely doing it to improve the games sales. i know its marketting, but just feels like selling out. sry if i come off as nit-picky or anything. i just wanted to share how i felt and see if i was the only one who felt this way.

It sounds like the people you're mentioning who are saying all these good things aren't reviewers, but just the popular Youtubers, so of course they won't really say much other than "This is fun!" They're not really experienced in proper reviews, so they're not going to go into detail, or really point out where the game could improve. They're just helping Nintendo to show the games off, and I'd imagine that they're doing a good job at that (I personally can't stand channels like Smosh, but they have large fanbases, and using them for exposure is a smart move on Nintendo's part).

JWittz does a lot of reviews professionally, so it makes more sense for him to give an in-depth analysis at a game's inner workings. I can't possibly imagine channels such as Smosh going into a professional discussion about what games do well, and what they do not so well. Nintendo's not really doing anything shady, they're just trying to show their games to new audiences in the hopes of getting more attention and sales. It's definitely a major improvement from their times of barely marketing their games (And only popular games like Mario at that. Ever remember seeing commercials for Xenoblade or Fire Emblem before the current console generation? Me neither). Advertisements from the more popular Youtube channels are good for spreading word, while reviews from professional review channels are more effective for those of us who are more serious about gaming.

Nintendo hardly markets so this is finally a good move by them, it's about time they did, there brand alone can't sell if they don't promote their new products

It sounds like the people you're mentioning who are saying all these good things aren't reviewers, but just the popular Youtubers, so of course they won't really say much other than "This is fun!" They're not really experienced in proper reviews, so they're not going to go into detail, or really point out where the game could improve. They're just helping Nintendo to show the games off, and I'd imagine that they're doing a good job at that (I personally can't stand channels like Smosh, but they have large fanbases, and using them for exposure is a smart move on Nintendo's part).

JWittz does a lot of reviews professionally, so it makes more sense for him to give an in-depth analysis at a game's inner workings. I can't possibly imagine channels such as Smosh going into a professional discussion about what games do well, and what they do not so well. Nintendo's not really doing anything shady, they're just trying to show their games to new audiences in the hopes of getting more attention and sales. It's definitely a major improvement from their times of barely marketing their games (And only popular games like Mario at that. Ever remember seeing commercials for Xenoblade or Fire Emblem before the current console generation? Me neither). Advertisements from the more popular Youtube channels are good for spreading word, while reviews from professional review channels are more effective for those of us who are more serious about gaming.

purhaps your right about it being better then them doing jack squat marketting before. and i know that the youtubers dont do reviews. thats why i mentioned them. there just people that were payed to give the game publicity. i just take issue with nintendo paying popular youtubers to promote their game. i stated that i never had anything wrong with reviews and stated why i know they need to exist. its just the youtubers that dont review that are acting as means of publicity for nintendo not because of the love of the product by the youtubers, but because nintendo payed them with success in their own channel as well as of course, the game. its a win win for both parties. i just feel that the reason behind this publicity (being payed with publicity/the game and not the actual love of the product) is a bit distasteful imo. thats not to say that they dont actually love the product, (im sure many of them think its great) but i dont think smosh games would have put out videos about the new 3ds and MH4U if it worent for them being payed. some might legitametly love the product, but in the end, from what im seein, whats pushing them to make a video is again, the free publicity for their channel given to them by nintendo in exchange for them promoting the product. however, i know this is business. both parties need publicity in order to be succesful. and i understamd that this a a means of perfectly attaining a win win scenario for both the youtuber and nintendo. however it still leaves a meh taste in my mouth. however you guys are right in that it is better than no marketing at all i suppose. sry i missed that.

Edited by Sorual

well as people playing games for the enjoyment of others becomes a more common occurrence, companies are no doubt going to be looking into paying the most popular people to showcase their product for some extra cash. it helps the person fulfill their dream of playing video games for money and the company gets to make more money off the person.  

So you complain that they don't market(which is a legit complain) but now you complain that they market way too much?Huh?

I never said there marketing too much. Pugs ps going overboard was bad wording. By overboard I mean their methods. I stated previously in the discussion why their methods leave a bad taste in my mouth. But as I said previously in the discussion, I agree that it's better than no marketing tho. It's just the method that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sorry that it made it sound like I said "Too much". I meant their methods