Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sora96

Final Fantasy X’s main theme “Zanarkand” almost didn't make the soundtrack

Composer Nobuo Uematsu revealed in a set of declassified emails exchanged between him and scenario writer Kazushige Nojima that he fought for the inclusion of Final Fantasy X’s main theme “Zanarkand” in the game, as it was not considered for use by the rest of the development team:

“I coaxed the team in using it for certain event scenes, but they always replied ‘Hmm…perhaps’. In the end, they decided to try using it on the opening screen. And I was surprised that it was just perfect for the scene! I hurriedly sent an email to [event director Motomu] Toriyama, telling him ‘Toriyama! That song is perfect for that scene! It’s GOOD!’ When the staff reviewed the opening scene, there was a sense of common agreement on it. In the end, that theme together with “Suteki da ne?” became the main theme for FFX. Hard to believe, isn’t it?”
-Composer Nobuo Uematsu

I don't get it. Does he just makes the soundtrack and then sends it to the dev team? I thought the producer or director was the one who worked with the composer in order to make the soundtrack he envisions for his game.

I don't get it. Does he just makes the soundtrack and then sends it to the dev team? I thought the producer or director was the one who worked with the composer in order to make the soundtrack he envisions for his game.

Yes, they generally work with the director/s to make the soundtrack. Toriyama was one of the directors on FFX. And Toriyama has continued to be very active in the creation of the soundtracks even co-writing some songs in the XIII series.