Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Jake

Nomura explains the meaning of "2.8" in Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue

In an interview with Famitsu Weekly, Tetsuya Nomura, director of the Kingdom Hearts series, explained the meaning behind the "2.8" in Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue.

Since this is the first title after Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX, Dream Drop Distance HD is being treated as "Kingdom Hearts 2.6". Then, Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover/Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ represents "0" since it is the first title in the Kingdom Hearts storyline. Lastly, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep represents "0.1", which leads to Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A Fragmentary Passage-. Then from all three titles in the collection, you add 2.6 + 0 + 0.2 to get 2.8.

We will provide translations of the interview as soon as we receive them.

What do you think of Nomura's math? Let us know in the comments below!

Click here to view the article

I think that "0.1" might be a typo. You meant "0.2", right? Because 2.6 + 0 + 0.1 = 2.7 . Anyway, yeah, this makes sense to me. BBS used to be KH0 since it was the furthest back in the series' timeline, but now Unchained X takes that spot. OH, OH WAIT! I think I get it now! Because Unchained X is KH0 now, that relegates KH BBS to KH0.1, and that would explain why Volume 2, a sequel to BBS, is called KH0.2!! NOW I GET IT!! So in that sense, it isn't a typo, it's just explaining how BIRTH BY SLEEP ("Volume 1" I guess now) is 0.1, which explains why Fragmentary Passage is now called BIRTH BY SLEEP 0.2!! OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I know these titles are confusing at times, but man oh man, it feels SOOOOOOO GOOD to figure them out! It gives me the illusion of being cleaver, and lately my ego's been pretty starved.

Anywho, ok, so 3D makes 2.6, Unchained X/Back Cover makes 0, and BBS 0.2 makes 0.2. So add those all together and that makes 2.6 + 0 + 0.2 and you get 2.8. Alright, in that case, then the 0.2 wouldn't necessarily be the gap between 2.8 and 3, so maybe there might be a chance for a KH3 demo/2.9 if they felt like it? Maybe? I don't know, depends on what Nomura says, but at the very least he helped explain how the title works. I hope that this whole interview gets revealed to us soon. And I really REALLY hope that we get a release date on the English release of Unchained X soon too, because we need to get that before Winter this year already, otherwise you would be jamming two KH releases into 2016 and that would be kind of overwhelming. Plus, I NEED X NOW!!! <3

Oh, that actually makes a lot more sense than the 2.8 + 0.2 = 3, which makes sense now when you think about cause 0.2 is a part of 2.8

Wouldn't it be the other way around, though? You don't add sequential numbers to get the next one in the sequence, unless you're Fibonacci. That 0 and 0.2 are technically already part of the 2.6.Buuuut I still find the math hilarious and, much like DDD's plot, it makes more sense the less you think about it, so I'll take it.

Nomura being cryptic as always, but I sure do love the meaning behind it. While we know where and when the game take place the explanation doesn't need to be too in depth. Now, to explain the meaning of the name to someone who's never played the games before is going to take a while.  xD

Sooo title way its:

Kingdom Hearts 0 (x)

Kingdom Hearts 0.1 (BBS)

Kingdom Hearts 0.2 (BBSAFP)

Kingdom Hearts 1

Kingdom Hearts 1.1 (358/2 Days)

Kingdom Hearts 1.4 (CoM)

Kingdom Hearts 2

Kingdom Hearts 2.4 (Coded)

Kingdom Hearts 2.6 (DDD)

Kingdom Hearts 3

Wow, its like patches from an expansion or something.

Doesn't really make sense why would it skip 1.2 1.3 and 2.1 2.2 and 2.3.

PS: Still has more patches than WoD.

Edited by Sorarocks93

Nomura from 6 years ago:

"Nomura: Since Birth by Sleep is the first part of the Kingdom Hearts storyline, I’d like if you considered it as Kingdom Hearts, “Episode 0”. This title isn’t placed as a side story, with its storyline and battle system, it is substantial like that of a numbered title. Also, there are Secret Movie-like contents in it. Since you could say that is the true ending, I want you to see it by all means! By seeing it, you can tell how much further the Kingdom Hearts story expands!"

Nomura now: BBS is 0.1. Still KH 0, but with .1 at the end. *laughs*

Aside from Sora being the MC for the game to have a number in the title, we now know why BBS wasn't exactly called "KH 0: Birth by Sleep" back then(X/Chi). Though, 0.2 in the title...well, you know. *laughs*

Sooo title way its:

Kingdom Hearts 0 (x)

Kingdom Hearts 0.1 (BBS)

Kingdom Hearts 1

Kingdom Hearts 1.4 (CoM)

Kingdom Hearts 2

Kingdom Hearts 2.6 (DDD)

Kingdom Hearts 3

Then how is the HD remixs known as 1.5 and 2.5? Cause 1.5 has 1, 1.1, 1.4 and 2.5 has 2, 2.4, and 0.1! If you add those like you do with 2.8, then it would come out as 3.5 and 4.5, which that isn't right because the final product is known as 1.5 and 2.5, not 3.5 and 4.5. The math just doesn't add up here, unless we really do get a 3.5 and 4.5 that end up being 1.5 and 2.5 for the PS4!

Sooo title way its: Kingdom Hearts 0 (x)Kingdom Hearts 0.1 (BBS)Kingdom Hearts 0.2 (BBSAFP)Kingdom Hearts 1 Kingdom Hearts 1.1 (358/2 Days)Kingdom Hearts 1.4 (CoM)Kingdom Hearts 2 Kingdom Hearts 2.4 (Coded)Kingdom Hearts 2.6 (DDD)Kingdom Hearts 3 Wow, its like patches from an expansion or something.

Personally I'd switch around CoM and Days. I know Days starts before CoM, but the majority of the game happens afterward.

Then how is the HD remixs known as 1.5 and 2.5? Cause 1.5 has 1, 1.1, 1.4 and 2.5 has 2, 2.4, and 0.1! If you add those like you do with 2.8, then it would come out as 3.5 and 4.5, which that isn't right because the final product is known as 1.5 and 2.5, not 3.5 and 4.5. The math just doesn't add up here, unless we really do get a 3.5 and 4.5 that end up being 1.5 and 2.5 for the PS4!

You're looking way too into the half-joke.

But still I was going by the decimal part like .1 + .4 = .5. Not the number "2" or "1".

Sooo title way its:

Kingdom Hearts 0 (x)

Kingdom Hearts 0.1 (BBS)

Kingdom Hearts 1

Kingdom Hearts 1.4 (CoM)

Kingdom Hearts 2

Kingdom Hearts 2.6 (DDD)

Kingdom Hearts 3

Eh, I'd make Chain of Memories 1.25 and Days ............

...On second thought, never mind, that works.

KH1 + KH1.1 + KH1.4 = KH1.5, KH2 + KH0.1 + KH2.4 = KH2.5, KH2.6 + KH0 + KH0.2 = KH2.8. I get it now. I think I'll adopt this numbering convention if you don't mind! xD

You're looking way too into the half-joke.

But still I was going by the decimal part like .1 + .4 = .5. Not the number "2" or "1".

Well I am only looking hard into it because it actually is a good point. I don't think you realize how much of a great point that is, just it has problems in it, but it does have a good point to it.

Well I am only looking hard into it because it actually is a good point. I don't think you realize how much of a great point that is, just it has problems in it, but it does have a good point to it.

Lmao I got ya I got ya. Whenever you add fractions/decimals to anything people are going to get confused (unless its for updates) or at least thinking if its necessary. That's why iPhone goes with their 6S or things like that and not 6.2. mo numbers = mo problems

So does this take place after Aqua meets Ansem the Wise?

Before. It takes place immediately after Aqua stumbles upon the Castle of Dreams in the Secret Episode which happens before she meets DiZ as is shown by the rapid rewind in the beginning of the Episode.Chronologically, without accounting for 0.2, it goes Final Episode》Secret Episode》Blank Points Edited by Isamu_Kuno