Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
artast

I'll try to translate the shot novel "Men without Women"

Everyone! I'll try to translate the shot novel "Men without Women" by Ernest Hemingway for my test in the job.
And there're so many phrase that I'm not so sure.

“I don’t want to take a cure,” William Campbell said. “I don’t want to take a cure at all. I am perfectly happy. All my life I have been perfectly happy.”
“How long have you been this way?”
“What a question!” William Campbell breathed in and out through the sheet.
“How long have you been stewed, Billy?”
“Haven’t I done my work?”
“Sure. I just asked you how long you’ve been stewed, Billy.”

What is this phrase "Stewed" really mean?

“Listen, you think I’m drunk.”
“You are drunk.”
“No, I’m not.”
“You’re drunk and you’ve had D.T.’s.

What is this phrase D.T.’s. really mean?

“Dear sheet,” he said. He breathed against it gently.
“Pretty sheet. You love me, don’t you, sheet? It’s all in the price of the room. Just like in Japan. No,” he said.

What is this phrase It’s all in the price of the room. Just like in Japan. really mean?

“Listen Billy, dear Sliding Billy,
I have a surprise for you. I’m not drunk. I’m hopped to the eyes.

“No,” said Mr. Turner.

“Take a look.” William Campbell pulled up the right sleeve of his pyjama jacket under the sheet,

What is this phrase I’m hopped to the eyes. really mean?
and I'm not sure that pyjama jacket is usual pajama in jacket or special pajama?

お邪魔でしたらごめんなさい。
That's all for now, I'm sorry if I disturbed you, but if everyone here could explain it for me I'll be VERY HAPPY!

ありがとうございました。
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, EVERYONE!!

PS.Full text here.http://pdbooks.ca/books/english/hemingway-ernest/short-stories/part-one/a-pursuit-race.html

1: Stewed is another way of saying drunk or intoxicated.

2: I'm guessing DT stands for delirium tremens, i.e. the state of confusion that is caused by the withdrawal from alcohol addiction.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens).

3: I have no idea. He could be talking about his sheet, how it was included in the price of the room, but it's certainly not a saying I know. He could also just be delirious and talking nonsense.

4: I think that means he's on a kind of drug. From the puncture marks mentioned later, I'm presuming that drug is heroin.

And by pyjama jacket I think he just means the top part of the pyjama, the shirt, not the pants.

I hope this helps a little! 

1: Stewed is another way of saying drunk or intoxicated.

2: I'm guessing DT stands for delirium tremens, i.e. the state of confusion that is caused by the withdrawal from alcohol addiction.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens).

3: I have no idea. He could be talking about his sheet, how it was included in the price of the room, but it's certainly not a saying I know. He could also just be delirious and talking nonsense.

4: I think that means he's on a kind of drug. From the puncture marks mentioned later, I'm presuming that drug is heroin.

And by pyjama jacket I think he just means the top part of the pyjama, the shirt, not the pants.

I hope this helps a little! 

Wow! It's really helpful, thanks!

Actually there're one more sentence that I'm not sure because it's very simple.

“You can’t fire me because I’ve got down off my bicycle.”

He has got down off his bicycle so...

1) He think that's the reason Mr.Turner can't fire him or...

2) Mr.Turner'll fire him because he has got down off his bicycle in the first place and he think that reason isn't good enough? (like "You can't kill me just because I've killed your father")

What is this sentence really mean?

Wow! It's really helpful, thanks!

Actually there're one more sentence that I'm not sure because it's very simple.

“You can’t fire me because I’ve got down off my bicycle.”

He has got down off his bicycle so...

1) He think that's the reason Mr.Turner can't fire him or...

2) Mr.Turner'll fire him because he has got down off his bicycle in the first place and he think that reason isn't good enough? (like "You can't kill me just because I've killed your father")

What is this sentence really mean?

From the text above that part, I can see it's a metaphorical bicycle. He was in a "race" but in the end he failed to stay ahead of Mr Turner. I think what Campbell is trying to say is that he chose to get off his bike, meaning Turner didn't "beat" him in the race. His thinking is in the line of "You can only fire someone if he is participating in the race, and I'm not participating anymore". Mr. Turner then fails to understand what Campbell is trying to say and thinks he is just a drunken idiot.

Keep in mind this is only my interpretation, so it could be totally wrong. :)

From the text above that part, I can see it's a metaphorical bicycle. He was in a "race" but in the end he failed to stay ahead of Mr Turner. I think what Campbell is trying to say is that he chose to get off his bike, meaning Turner didn't "beat" him in the race. His thinking is in the line of "You can only fire someone if he is participating in the race, and I'm not participating anymore". Mr. Turner then fails to understand what Campbell is trying to say and thinks he is just a drunken idiot.

Keep in mind this is only my interpretation, so it could be totally wrong. :)

I'm worried that this last question might sound stupid so that why I don't want to disturb everyone here with it in the first time. If I get this job would you allow me to credit you in the book I translate? (I'll credit your avatar's name but if you want me to credit your real name you can send me the message!)

Thank you again, I'm very happy that we've got KH's fan here that like the same things as me!!

Edited by artast

I'm worried that this last question might sound stupid so that why I don't want to disturb everyone here with it in the first time. If I get this job would you allow me to credit you in the book I translate? (I'll credit your avatar's name but if you want me to credit your real name you can send me the message!)

Thank you again, I'm very happy that we've got KH's fan here that like the same things as me!!

Sure, of course you can credit me. You can just use my username, but if you rather have my actual name, just PM me and I'll send it to you.