Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Seyin95

Should new worlds be based on film events or should something like the Big Hero 6 world be a new trend?

In anticipation for the upcoming D23 I've been going a few of the old details and reached an interesting dilemma; should new worlds follow the traditional formula of following the world's film events with the inclusion of Sora and co to the plot or as was revealed by Roy Conli at the last D23 have a new world world with a post film plot?

Looking at what worlds people are hoping for further raises the question, since we know some film's plot would fit into the KH Jigsaw perfectly such as Traeasure Planet/Frozen etc the list goes on. However I personally wouldn't be against more post film worlds. It would allow some worlds where Xehanort's reason to interfere would be cloudy to understand and it would make the worlds more unique too.

That saying, I feel we should have a fusion of both formulas in order to truly mix up the worlds

I like the idea of having worlds that are based on the events of their movies and also having worlds with an original plot. Original plots can make for really interesting worlds, especially when pulled off right, but at the same time it's also fun to play through the plot of your favorite Disney movies alongside the characters and such too.

Having a balance of both would be interesting, the traditional formula could work better for some scenarios, while a post movie/original plot could probably work better for others. 

In case I wasn't clear for people here is an example. Say Frozen is a world in KH3, the traditional formula would be to head off to Find Elza either with Anna or trying to locate Anna afterwards and reach the Ice Castle etc resulting in a probable clash with Hans at the end on the Frozen Lake.However if we use the post film formula- we could see Arendelle restored at first with Elza ruling peacefully, then you can include the heartless invading the world and Elza trying to save the world causes an accidental Blizzard storm again. Sora can agree to stop the heartless etc etc and you can then have Xehanort/Sod try and use the situation in order to bring a previously disgraced Hans to regain the crown etc etc Another example using this formula could be Treasure Planet- say Sora runs into Jim who is now at the academy and is set for duty when they run into John Silver who reveals that someone in a black coat has been recruiting for a mission that is set to leave for an unknown destination with promises of great wealth. John Silver could leave at this stage and be along the lines of ' be careful Jim' Sora would want to stop this so would enlist with Jim at the academy. They could set off resulting in a reunion with John Silver who either could have fallen in with the Pirates or was looking to steal what the Pirates were looking for. This could result in a new ' Planet' with the original Treasure Planet having been destroyed with a final battle against the hooded figure for this world

I like the idea of having worlds that are based on the events of their movies and also having worlds with an original plot. Original plots can make for really interesting worlds, especially when pulled off right, but at the same time it's also fun to play through the plot of your favorite Disney movies alongside the characters and such too. Having a balance of both would be interesting, the traditional formula could work better for some scenarios, while a post movie/original plot could probably work better for others.

It all depends on each individual world really, and I agree with you original plots would need to be done right and in the case of classic older films say we have a Jungle Book world, it wouldn't feel right not to play through that film's events.

It all depends on the film. Its natural for something like Lilo and Stitch, Wreck it Ralph, Hercules and Big Hero 6 would work better as a original story (since they can carry on multiple stories) compared to the more fairy tale musical like Beauty and The Beast, Tangled or Frozen. Of course we don't know which worlds will exactly have original plots (Besides BH6 and Hercules.)

Like most members here have said, I think the best way to go in terms of world storytelling is having a healthy mix of both film adaption and original story!  Having a mix of both storytelling techniques could prove to be very effective, and if all the pieces fit in nicely, then all the better!  The fact that Big Hero 6 in Kingdom Hearts III will take place after the events of the film is something that has raised a question in us fans in terms of how world storytelling shall go forth from now on in the Kingdom Hearts series! We'll have to wait for more interviews with Nomura to see where things go from here!  I'm sure it'll be exciting! :D

It's not like this is a new thing, KH has done post-film plots before. It's been implied that Space Paranoids takes place after the events of the original TRON since this is a copy of that original program and Tron says the MCP has been "brought back", suggesting that it was eliminated already. Tron also has a bit of a better knowledge of how Users work, suggesting that he remembers his experiences with Flynn from the original movie.

Halloween Town/Christmas Town is a little ambiguous, as it has been suggested that the events of the movie had already taken place, they just aren't clear when it would have happened. It could either have been before the events of the first game or it could have been during the year-long gap between KH1 and KH2. Before KH1 would make the most sense as Jack's first instinct in KH1 and Days is to find something new within the confines of Halloween Town, probably still trying to avoid the mistakes he made in the movie, while still making some mistakes here. Jack and Sally already seem pretty close, so their relationship must have already gotten to where it was at the end of the movie. As for Oogie being there? Well, same as in the Nightmare Before Christmas sequel game, Lock, Shock, and Barrel likely revived him by gathering as many bugs as they could and filling up his burlap sac to bring him back to life. And with the prospect of taking over the town kind of sunk, it makes sense that Oogie would want to side with Maleficent in an attempt to concur several worlds at once. That also brings up another possibility, Maleficent may have brought Oogie back just as she did in KH2. This would make more sense than having it take place between KH1 and KH2 as the last thing anyone mentions about Oogie's previous defeat is that it was at the hands of both Jack AND Sora, and Sora was never present for the plot of the movie, so that would mean that the events of the film happened before the events of KH1 so that Oogie's more recent defeat was at the hands of Sora and the others. He wouldn't remember things like Christmas Town or Santa Clause because he seems to be suffering from some form of post-resurrection memory loss (he had to be reminded of how he was defeated last) (could also be a side-effect of Namine's tampering with Sora's memories). However, there is always the chance that the events of the movie did take place between KH1 and KH2 after the Halloween Town events in Days, just without Oogie being the source of the second catastrophe of kidnapping Sandy Clause. It could have just been Jack messing up X-Mas and that was it. However, I like the pre-KH1 theory better, as it allows for the full possibility of the full movie taking place in the timeline.

Beast's Castle could be whatever you would make it, since there is never any mention of Gaston or Belle's father or anyone else from the nearby town at all. How I would theorize it is that maybe the events of the movie occurred up until the climax between Beast and Gaston, with Gaston already beaten. Amidst the confusion however the Heartless may have taken over the castle while everyone was distracted, the villains could have taken off with Belle, and the Hearless consumed the world's heart, leaving the already weary Beast in a doomed foresaken world, with only his fury and will being enough to take him to Belle via corridor of Darkness. This would explain why they are already so close to each other. Although considering the dress, maybe it happened during the dance they had planned, or maybe just magic clothes explanation or something, I don't know. Point is that it could have happened somewhere around the middle of the movie (post-Christmas) towards the climax of the movie. The climax just makes more sense because then we wouldn't have to worry about Gaston or the villagers' absence in KH2.

And of course, every game Olympus Coliseum is in (save Birth by Sleep) takes place after the events of the movie, so every story with Sora and Herc is a post-movie story.

So as you can see, the whole post-film plot thing isn't anything new, we've had it for a while. The only noteworthy thing about this is that we will be introduced to the world of Big Hero 6 without having to go through the events of the film. It makes sense for what it's meant to do, as we already have established heroes that Sora can get acquainted with right off the bat (there would have been no time in the first film anyway, since most of the first half is them as civilians and as soon as they are done testing out their powers they move right into finding the bad guy, which then leads right into stopping the bad guy's plan. There would have been no down-time for Sora to get introduced to anyone when things were interesting enough). This also allows them to come up with some creative ideas while occasionally dabbling in re-creating some iconic scenes from the movie in a bit of a nostalgic call-back.

To me, it really depends on which film and their limitations that could go for the original story of the said film. For example: Wreck-it Ralph & Frozen should follow the movie's story but something like if they were to add Ducktales or Darkwing Duck should follow an original story.

None of the worlds that stuck close with the plot of the actual movie really seemed to have a big impact on the overall storyline in the past, and that's made them almost tedious to go through. (Example: KH2 worlds as compared to KH1 worlds.) I would be all for sticking with the original plot if there was something in each world that tied it to Xehanort or one of the missing lights. Otherwise I want to have an original plot that somewhat centers around Xehanort's antics.

Edited by SarcasmAbounds