Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
supermegaroxas

Bigger chances for Sora to appear in smash?

maybe, but it does prove that any character who gets enough votes will most likely be in smash. It also proves that Sora being in smash is still possible, not impossible. 

Well, it wasn't said that Cloud was chosen from the Smash Ballot

It's incredible to see a PS1 Original appear in Smash. Sure, he showed up in like, 4 or 5 games on Nintendo Systems, but still, just, incredible. Cloud's appearance in Smash Bros. has given me a bit more hope for some other characters' appearances...

Don't kill my joy, peeps. Don't kill it.

Rock on!

Well, it wasn't said that Cloud was chosen from the Smash Ballot

I know. I'm just assuming that Cloud got in the game because of the number of votes he got, but may not be the case. 

cloud isn't part of the ballot because i'm pretty sure nobody really voted for him, plus when mewtwo was announced sakari said that it takes time for character to be made thus why it took 6 months for him to be release (i think he was announced in Dec.) and the smash ballot ended last month so its not the ballot. still, though no one has came out and said it so made maybe he could be.

cloud isn't part of the ballot because i'm pretty sure nobody really voted for him, plus when mewtwo was announced sakari said that it takes time for character to be made thus why it took 6 months for him to be release (i think he was announced in Dec.) and the smash ballot ended last month so its not the ballot. still, though no one has came out and said it so made maybe he could be.

that's why I said earlier that people voting for Cloud was probably not the case. 

I don't think Cloud was a ballot winner because on every fan ballot I saw he was not listed and if he was, it was not very high.  Plus Cloud was in development before the ballot closed so he could not be an all in all winner.  I think Cloud is in there because either Nintendo and Square are finally reconnecting or because they knew Cloud would sell well.  I personally don't think and don't want Sora in Smash at this point at least on the current generation of Smash.  I am fine with him being in a future installment, but I would much rather that they put in more first/second party characters and maybe one more 3rd party for this generation.

Edited by Ven983

I figured that Cloud would kill Sora's chances, but seeing as Cloud wasn't even from the ballot, I guess Sora'd still have a good enough chance. Depends on how many people voted for him. Also depends if Ninty's going for character/game variety or if they just don't care about that stuff xD

Isaac pls

Maybe, it seems like a bit of a better chance since Square Enix has their foot in the door now with Cloud. But that still leaves the ball in the hands of Disney. From what everyone keeps telling me, Disney owns the character rights to the original characters of KH, namely Sora. So even though they were made by Square Enix, in the style and look of Square Enix, they could technically be considered "Disney characters", despite the fact that they aren't really used to the extreme anywhere outside their source material like Mickey and everyone else is. It's because of that fact that makes the likelyhood of Sora getting in debatable. On the one hand, Disney can be a stickler like Nintendo is and can be very protective of their IP. A popular example by every nay-sayer is that Dissidia was originally meant to be a Kingdom Hearts based fighting game, but that Disney didn't go with it since they didn't like the idea of their characters fighting each other...oddly hypocritical considering how they have been doing that for YEARS in Kingdom Hearts anyway and still show no signs of stopping! Odds are whoever was in charge of that decision probably didn't fully understand a lot of the goings on between the projects, just that they involved Disney IP, so it might have been a rather 2-dimensional solution to a 2-dimensional perspective of the issue. That said though, that was years ago, and while positions will remain, the faces and minds of those positions can sometimes change. Disney has grown a lot since then, gaining access to more action-centeric IP like Star Wars and Marvel, allowing both to continue to do their things. Likely by now they recognize how they can use diversity in their brands to appeal to more consumers and between Kingdom Hearts, Epic Mickey, and Disney Infinity they recognize the value of having mass-crossover based forms of entertainment to utilize that radioactive goldmine today known as nostalgia. Between all those factors, I wouldn't be surprised if their collective stance on having one of their better known video game IP's act as a representative in a Nintendo-sponsored fighting game may have changed to a more favorable position.

Sora would fit that bill easily and well as he is already established as a character who travels between various worlds based off different movies and comes across various characters from popular Square Enix titles, and the fact that while he is technically Disney IP, he's still very heavily Square Enix inspired, so you would never be able to flat-out call him out for it ("duhhhh I don't know, this guy looks a little too Disney to be in my Smash"). Yet at that same time he'd be able to display enough of that Disney charm through his personality, making him appear distinct yet subtly Disney-esque. His crossing over nature serves as a good alibi and he's got a variety of moves to pick from, so it would nonetheless make an interesting choice for both Disney and Nintendo.

That said however, another possible obstacle for Sora getting in would likely be Nintendo, as regardless of how Disney will feel about letting their only solely video game based IP into a largely Nintendo-based crossover fighting game, Nintendo might have more reason to not want the thing to happen, as I have been told that they are VERY adamant about not getting "consumed" by Disney in the same way that Marvel, Lucasfilms, and so many other TV networks have over the years. Their paranoia of that may have likely been what prevented us from fully seeing Mario in Wreck-It Ralph, and it would likely be a reason they could have for not letting a Disney-affiliated video game IP through the door into the party, no matter how much Cloud/Square vouches for him. But who knows, maybe minds have changed within Nintendo as well. While I highly doubt that Nintendo is suddenly completely fine with the idea of becoming integrated with Disney, they would probably be able to stop seeing the tree as a forest and see the opportunity for what it really is: just a single lone tree. Something as minor as letting Sora into Smash wouldn't be huge enough for Disney to get their foot stuck in Nintendo's door to leave it open for the possibility of taking them over, not unless Disney had an agenda and wanted to get REALLY sneaky about it, but that would take a ridiculous amount of effort just to make that work anyway, so I doubt even Disney would go that far. If anything, if Disney really wanted to take over Nintendo, they would have to make a bigger, grander gesture than that, all this would really do would be to promote Kingdom Hearts, something that's already had some history on Nintendo systems anyway. Maybe trying to leave out Donald, Goofy, and Mickey from trophy gallaries might be tricky, but you could always find ways around that, even if it would simply be by name-dropping (if it worked for Mario, I don't see why not), and even then there's still a large amount of Square and original KH based IP to fill in those spaces anyway. Sora would not be the "virus" that would ultimately infect the body that is Nintendo, and so long as Nintendo truly recognizes that and Disney tries not to make anything more out of this than what it already is, this could be a simple action that would satisfy everybody, the will just has to be there.

So yeah, Square's willingness to be a part of Smash shows promise for Sora getting in, but in the end the rest of that chance has to be carried out by both Nintendo and Disney. I'd like to say that it just might happen, as we do not yet know the poll results and that will likely be what will be discussed in the December event this year. I voted for both Sora and Solid Snake, as well as Big Boss, so if ANY of those guys I voted for get in there, I will at the very least be pretty satisfied! Here's hoping!

so you're saying that Cloud is one of the winners? Makes sense.

No, he's saying that whoever the winners are, they will be announced in December. It's likely that Cloud might not have been a winner (maybe he still got a good number of votes, or even got third place. I was always under the impression that at least 2 characters could become the winners, so if that's the case, maybe Cloud was the third highest and they put him in anyway), but they still wanted to have him in anyway. Sakurai is pals with Nomura after all, it makes sense that he would have one of his children in the game. But WHOEVER the winners are, we will know for sure next month. It's very unlikely Cloud is part of that though, since they wouldn't drop something like that a month before they mean to. There's likely even more stuff they didn't tell us about that will be revealed that day, Cloud's just the icing on the cake.
Edited by Hero of Light XIV

No, he's saying that whoever the winners are, they will be announced in December. It's likely that Cloud might not have been a winner (maybe he still got a good number of votes, or even got third place. I was always under the impression that at least 2 characters could become the winners, so if that's the case, maybe Cloud was the third highest and they put him in anyway), but they still wanted to have him in anyway. Sakurai is pals with Nomura after all, it makes sense that he would have one of his children in the game. But WHOEVER the winners are, we will know for sure next month. It's very unlikely Cloud is part of that though, since they wouldn't drop something like that a month before they mean to. There's likely even more stuff they didn't tell us about that will be revealed that day, Cloud's just the icing on the cake.

yeah, you're right. he probably didn't get on there because of the ballot. 

Here's hoping that Sora makes it in.  I think there's definitely a high chance since he appeared in several Nintendo titles.  'Sides, if Cloud can do it, so can Sora. ; )

I know. I'm just assuming that Cloud got in the game because of the number of votes he got, but may not be the case. 

I'm actually wondering if Cloud made it into the game because it would be good marketing for the remake of Final Fantasy VII that is underway.  It'd be good for Square, good for Nintendo, and probably just a big money-maker all the way around.  I'm sure that Cloud also received a lot of votes, but to be honest I'm a little surprised that Lightning wasn't voted in before Cloud.

Nope that's why I said Disney owns Sora. They own KH and all original characters.

I learned of this not to long ago and I was honestly quite surprised.  You'd think it would be the other way around since Square is doing all of the work and Disney just owns the rights to the characters and worlds. : P

Here's hoping that Sora makes it in.  I think there's definitely a high chance since he appeared in several Nintendo titles.  'Sides, if Cloud can do it, so can Sora. ; )

I'm actually wondering if Cloud made it into the game because it would be good marketing for the remake of Final Fantasy VII that is underway.  It'd be good for Square, good for Nintendo, and probably just a big money-maker all the way around.  I'm sure that Cloud also received a lot of votes, but to be honest I'm a little surprised that Lightning wasn't voted in before Cloud.

I learned of this not to long ago and I was honestly quite surprised.  You'd think it would be the other way around since Square is doing all of the work and Disney just owns the rights to the characters and worlds. : P

SE develops the games but bc Disney owns them they give final clearance and handle promotions and all that. xD