Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Hargleblargleboo

Why Do People Think Animation is for Kids?

People think animation is for kids because people are ignorant judgmental bagots who don't have a life other than going to work and wallow in their dull existence.Well, except for you guys.Sorry for my rant, that stuff pisses me off.

^This is exactly what I was thinking! 

Without actually watching the video: because it was originally was. Early cartoons were typically directed at young people, mostly very simple and wacky- look an any Mickey Mouse cartoon from the 30s. Even feature films for a long time were adaptations of fairy tales (Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella), which are more or less cautionary tales for children. Over time as animation became more refined and more accessible, cartoons branched off into different genres and styles. Animation just still has that stigma of being kiddie stuff.

(Same thing with comic books; there's a reason people used to call them funny books, y'know.)

After watching the video: don't agree with every point he made, but I sure as shit appreciate the A Scanner Darkly footage in the background.

Edited by HeyMouseSayCheese

Without actually watching the video: because it was originally was. Early cartoons were typically directed at young people, mostly very simple and wacky- look an any Mickey Mouse cartoon from the 30s. Even feature films for a long time were adaptations of fairy tales (Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella), which are more or less cautionary tales for children. Over time as animation became more refined and more accessible, cartoons branched off into different genres and styles. Animation just still has that stigma of being kiddie stuff. (Same thing with comic books; there's a reason people used to call them funny books, y'know.)

The fairy tales those movies were based off of were not directed towards children though they were actually really dark and violent stories. If i remember correctly snow white was raped and Pinocchio was a murderer.

The problem with society is that people asume that a show is for kids, just because it's animated. Seriously, look at all the critisism Japanese animation gets when someone brings up they watch it. They are called weebs, otakus and possibly even children. The most annoying thing about those people however, is that some of them watch Western animations and have absolutly no problems. Talk about hypocrisy.  A very small group of people don't want to consider that different animations have different target audiences.

Disney and Dreamworks are some of the best examples. All the animations that come out of them are suitable for the whole family. Big Hero 6, Kung Fu Panda and many more.

Then you got Fuzzy Door Producations, creating animated features such as American Dad and Family Guy, directed to a more adult audience.

Then you have the countless companies that create animation specifically for kids (one of which I have already mentioned).

People just don't want to accept that different animated programs are targeted to different age groups. There is no way in hell, I would show Another to a kid (which, by the way for those who haven't watched it, is a Japanese animation in the horror genre). And there is a reason why 4Kids stopped dubbing One Piece (especially with all the censorship they have done).

People need to learn. Just because it's animated, doesn't mean it's for kids.

The fairy tales those movies were based off of were not directed towards children though they were actually really dark and violent stories. If i remember correctly snow white was raped and Pinocchio was a murderer.

Just because they were dark doesn't mean they weren't for kids. What was appropriate for children centuries ago is a lot more mature than what we think of today as children's stories. You're right about Snow White and Pinocchio, and Cinderella's step-sisters cut their feet up to try and fit into Cinderella's shoe and later got their eyes pecked out by birds. It's dark shit, but fairy tales are like that. Parents always try to scare their kids into being good, and in the past, that meant telling them they'd get firetrucked up by supernatural forces if they didn't behave.

Point is, Disney adapted those into more family friendly versions. No parent in the mid-1900s wanted to take their kid to a cartoon- something that was explicitly for children, remember- that was going to show people getting raped, murdered or mutilated. Standards had changed, so Disney changed the stories. They were still aimed at kids, though, and always had been.

Edited by HeyMouseSayCheese

Anyone can watch animation. However, who the animation is intended for when created, is a different story. I think parents who believe that "cartoons" are only for kids are setting themselves up for an awkward confrontation when their little ones come across some hentai, or other adult stuff. lmao

Most people assume animation is for kids just..well because people figure A. Cartoon = B. young child so C. Animation is for kids. 

Which is pretty wrong, on all accounts. What's considered one of the most depressing (and awesome) films is animated (Perfect Blue, in case anyone wondered). And one of the most popular post-apopcalyptic films (Akira) is also animated, and I wouldn't even try to say either of those films are for kids. 

Not just anime, or gorey/sexual films though. People look at something like Snow White, and figure it's for kids based on the songs, story, and general over whelming G-ratedness of it all. Yet, a majority of its audiences are adults who appreciate animation and/or disney. 

True, a lot of animation is for younger children (Jake and The Neverland Pirates, Sophia the First, Arthur, e.t.c) but a lot of "kids shows" have mostly adult or older teen audiences. 

Ad target audience can miss its mark easily: A newer animated Peter Pan movie that just came out had a 15-20 target buyer on it, so that one sort of missed the "kid" audience.

Long, mostly nonsense rant short, all animation is not for kids, and even animation FOR kids isn't just watched BY them. 

Rant over, sorry for wasting your time. 

That's actually why they where for kids. Back then people didn't coddle their children like they do now. They used those fairytales to set their kids straight by terrifying them.Perfect exaple, that Krampus movie coming out, the story of Krampus was intended to scare children into behaving at Christmas time. Same principle.

And Ariel became sea froth.

And I'm pretty sure Rapunzel had a kid out of wedlock and the kid's father had his eyes torn out or something. Anyway. Moving swiftly forwards.

The thing that I would guess would be the reason many people think animation is just for kids is because the movies are presented in a way that makes it seem as though it doesn't have any "dark" elements.  But hey, I beg to differ!  A lot of animated films have gone pretty dark, even given the fact that they are animated!

I love animated films, and that's something I'm not ashamed of!  In fact, it's part of what makes me who I am!  There's just a simple joy to watching animated films! Watching these masterpieces proves that one can be able to witness a great story and amazing things from different perspectives other than live action, ya know?  And a lot of my friends and other people I know think of animated films affectionately, and when a discussion comes about animated films, it's often quite the fun debate! Some of my favorite animated film series are Kung-Fu Panda, the Disney Animated Classics, Pixar Films, and many more!  People should know by now that just because a movie is animated, doesn't mean that it doesn't have an engrossing story and topics that really make you think!  But, as usual with most people, they only see what's on the surface.  They don't pay attention with an open mind, ya know?  But hey, the good thing is, that as long as the world exists, there will always be animated films, and that's something we can all take comfort in! :3

Man, if only we could get hand drawn Disney films again...