Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Exiblade7

video games that you think are overrated

I dislike Five Nights at Freddies immensely. It started as a cool, unique indie game that became an overhyped, repetitive series that was overblown by the fandom, with a story that never really seemed to go anywhere, and seemed to almost go back on itself, with ridiculously stupid ways to actually learn anything about the plot.

Awww SHET, wish this was for Anime, oh well...

Bioware titles (Dialogue is painful and dull, put some emotion into it)

Five Night's a Freddy's (Jesus Christ have mercy all everyone's soul who love this cheap series,

The Witcher III (Yes I'm butthurt about it winning Game of The Year)

Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne (I guess shaving your characters health bar super fast is awesome?)

Fallout (I tried to get into this series, but the Presentation and gameplay, plus VATS is appalling, the ridiculous over-hyping was painful. At least the narrative is well)

The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim (Game is firetrucking boring)

Basically everything Nintendo (People seem to ride Ninten-Dick's, people's reaction to this E3 were surprising.)

Sonic Adventure 2 (Seriously, HOOOWWW, Only Pros in this game is City Escape, Chao Garden and the Shadow boss on the colony, ProJared best sums it up)

The Last of Us (Trust me, I love this game, but the plot is so cliche at moments, the only thing that saves it is the acting, now everyone praises Naighty Dog relentlessly.)

Edited by Gamerazor247

There's quite a few:

- Final Fantasy series- Kingdom Hearts series- Chrono Trigger- Five Night at Freddie's- Mario games- Sonic games- Assassin's Creed series- Call of Duty games- The Last of Us- Legend of Zelda series- Undertale

Now, don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with something being overrated.  In fact, I like most of the games or series I've listed!  The only ones I don't like are CoD, Last of Us, and FNaF (Sonic and AC I'm neutral towards)  There are some games in a series I like that I don't like, such as the FF XIII Trilogy or Super Mario 3D Land.  But, this is all my opinion.

*Edit

I forgot to add:- Pokémon games- Minecraft

I don't like either of those games.

Edited by mag77

That would be too big of a list to describe, so I'll pick some highlights of overrated games (in my opinion).Minecraft, Call of Duty (series), Five Nights at Freddy's, BattleField, and maaaybe Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.And I'm getting kinda questionable with Pokemon with all these spin-offs they're making. :/As many others have stated before me, this is merely opinionated. (Plus, since I don't have any proof backing up my opinions about these games, you can still like them AND you won't have to counteract my opinion. Neat eh?)Please don't killRock on!

I'm fine with spin-offs such as PMD, but by Arceus what is up with the Pokemon Rumble games? Now there's even Picross Pokemon edition? Not sure if overrated or milking the name via spin-offs. inb4tetrispokemonedition 

And yes, I'm well aware Pokemon wasn't the first in doing this sort of thing, but it's an example.

Edited by OmegaForte

Final Fantasy VII.Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this game, one of my favorites. I'm super excited for the remake! But...I feel like, it gets too much attention, and distracts people from other games in the series. I also feel like, because of the attention it gets, Square Enix doesn't move forward. They're constantly looking back at Cloud for inspiration. I feel like half the reason it's so popular is because 8 didn't do as well, so people automatically say that all games after we're crap.

Hmm, overrated . . . .

I'd probably have to say that Final Fantasy VII and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World are overrated.  While I loved Final Fantasy VII, it just receives too much hype and isn't the greatest Final Fantasy in my opinion.

There are others, but those two are the first that come to mind.

Not to mention how they've run FFVII into the ground so much that I think a lot of people forget what made it cool to begin with... including its creators. I hear it's becoming kind of a joke that Cloud's Smash Bro's trailer makes it seem like Nintendo knows the game and character more than the guys who made it. I'm the kind of person who generally assumes the creators know best, so for me to kind of agree with that joke really says a lot. It would be nice if they could give other FFs in the series some attention. No single FF represents the whole series, after all, so even though VII is my favorite, I also love other games in the series.

More on topic, I don't feel good calling anything overrated. It doesn't even matter whether or not I actually like the game in question -- it's not a judgement call I feel like I have the right to make, because who gets to decide what deserves its popularity or not? Even that FFVII example above has more to do with the direction the games and characters have been taking over how much praise it gets. Besides, more often than not 'overrated' is just a buzz word people throw around when things they don't like get attention. It's lost its meaning.

Not to mention how they've run FFVII into the ground so much that I think a lot of people forget what made it cool to begin with... including its creators. I hear it's becoming kind of a joke that Cloud's Smash Bro's trailer makes it seem like Nintendo knows the game and character more than the guys who made it. I'm the kind of person who generally assumes the creators know best, so for me to kind of agree with that joke really says a lot. It would be nice if they could give other FFs in the series some attention. No single FF represents the whole series, after all, so even though VII is my favorite, I also love other games in the series.

More on topic, I don't feel good calling anything overrated. It doesn't even matter whether or not I actually like the game in question -- it's not a judgement call I feel like I have the right to make, because who gets to decide what deserves its popularity or not? Even that FFVII example above has more to do with the direction the games and characters have been taking over how much praise it gets. Besides, more often than not 'overrated' is just a buzz word people throw around when things they don't like get attention. It's lost its meaning.

In general, Overrated kind of offers a term in which people can vent about games that they really don't like, but other people enjoy enough to the point where they can't find sympathetic sentiment. Definitely not an objective term of judgement by any means, but handy if you want to emphasize how alone one might feel in their opinions, 

Super Smash Bros Melee:I'm a big Smash bros fan and I love all the games,but I don't think its the best game of the series.I don't think Melee controls as good as Brawl or Smash Wii U and to me wave dash and all the other "advance" techniques doesn't make the game more interesting.

Chrono Trigger:I played it and its fun,but I don't get why everybody love it so much,I don't know why but it didn't do anything for me,the story is ok,the gameplay is ok the soundtrack is ok except for Wind Scene,that music is awesome.To me it was an average game,maybe I should replay it someday and maybe I'll see something I didn't before.

Those are the big two for me, I could also say that COD,Assassins Creed,Any Sports game,Dead Space,Mass Effect or Minecraft are overrated the list could go on,but they are not my type of game so of course I'm not gonna like them as much as other people and think people overhype those games,its all about personal preferances.

I feel that Dragon Quest 8 is completely overrated. Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but it recieves way too much attention. I mean, it's getting a 3D remake when it was already in 3D.

That and Harvest Moon 3D.

Also forgot a few more.

Minecraft

The Legend of Zelda series and one game in particular (I'm looking at you Twilight Princess)

The Mario Bros. Series

The Madden games.

I don't see how Dawn of a New world is overrated. It got a good amount of hate when it came out. 

I suppose that's the difficulty in saying something is overrated because it really depends on the individual.  I've thought that Dawn of a New World was overrated because I see so much praise and hype for that game, perhaps even more than its predecessor, Symphonia.  Since the game isn't all that I feel that it is overrated because I don't see what people love in it, but I'm sure that there's a good amount of haters as well.  Kind of like any popular game, you'll find both lovers and haters, and personally I just felt that Dawn of a New World is overrated.  I won't deny that there's some haters for it, though. ; )