Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dio Brando

Turn-based\Active-Time Battle systems in RPGs ARE NOT BAD

Regardless of what many believe, it is a dying genre of combat. It still sticks around in games like Pokemon, but very few use the system. Hyperdimension Neptunia isn't positively the greatest game out there, but it uses a turn based system, but when it's your turn, you have a limit on how much you attack for your turn, but it's a real-time combat system at point. I'm think that's how VII is gonna work out with the remake, considering Kitase said it wasn't gonna be purely real-time.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII had pretty good ATB-style combat. You would wait for a few seconds, then you could string together a huge combo of attacks, or hold your guard for longer depending on how much ATB gauge you had. And that's not nothin'!

Rock on!

For me, when I play on a big screen of a "powerful" console, I prefer a more "free" and action style video game. Because in a game console that can sustain fast paced gameplay and high definition, I expect to play games that are not slow and turn-based.

In my portable small game console, however, where I do not have the need to get fully engrossed and my expectations on gameplay are lower, I do not mind games which contain turn-based and leisurely gameplay.

yea i never got the hate for turn based combat. i've played games like FFIX and the Persona series and never had a problem with the gameplay. I actually had lots of fun with the combat. There was something about the turn based gameplay in FFIX and P3/P4 that felt so satisfying to execute. I wanna say it was the battle music. Selecting attacks and performing them to the music gave things an extra bit of fun. 

it's fine if developers want to use different combat styles but i wish they wouldn't' bash turn based gameplay. it's still a good form of combat, when done correctly. reminds me of a group of businessmen trying to relate to kids today. "Turn based is too slow man! Kids today like things fast and in your face! Real time action packed explosive combat!"

Turned based and active time are terrible, yeah, that's why Final Fantasy and Pokémon never got to sell much, exactly, yeah. And also Fire Emblem, yeah, and Bravely Default, those are all terrible games that haven't sold at all, yeah, they just did multiple parts to make sure they were terrible, and Golden Sun was terrible too, yeah, basically all of the games that had turn based system were terrible, especially those that had no action time bar, like Final Fantasy X (how did it get to 10 is still mysterious...).

All of above was sarcastic, now this is the serious part: 

I agree with you completely, I love turned based games, Golden Sun, Final Fantasy, Pokémon, etc., and I think it's a real shame that now no one sees how good that system is due to how strategic it is, and how you have to think before taking action. It's ceirtanly underrated nowadays.

Yeah I don't get it either,this mentallity that turn-based RPGs are archaic and action-RPGs is the futur of RPGs makes no sense,its like saying 2D Mario games shouldn't exist on consoles anymore because 3D Mario is the evolution of Mario and thus 2D Mario is boring and archaic.Both can exist at the same time because they are completly different types of games and like the guy said Bravely Default was a succes and Pokemon is like the best selling RPG of all-time so surely people still like turn-based RPGs.They are fun to play for different reasons.

I prefer Action-RPG over Turn-base but that doesn't mean they should go away from consoles

I think the issue is that a lot of gamers these days just aren't patient enough, and need something flashy and fast. Personally, I never got the complaints about turn-based. It's a little slower, yes, but it makes you think about your next move a lot more than any Action RPG does. ARPGs are fine too, but most of them are missing that strategy element that I find to be so fun. I'm getting to a point where I'm kind of burned out on Action RPGs because a lot of them feel similar and don't make me plan out my attacks as much as turn-based RPGs do. Turn-based games feel like they have a lot more depth to them, and that's why I love them. Balancing my team, choosing the right skills and spells, and racing against the clock in an ATB-style game is a lot of fun, and I've missed having so many options in that genre. Thankfully, Dragon Quest is still carrying on that legacy with XI, so I'm really excited for that.

Devs saying that it's a dying breed because they themselves are killing it. 

E.g. Konami stopped making 2D Castlevania games because "people don't like it".  Meanwhile Bloodstained was one of the most succesful Kickstarted games in the history of Kickstarter. 

The thing is, we should have both. Right now we are overflowing with Action RPGs instead of Turned Based.

I hope FFXVI will be turn based/ATB but I know it's false hope, cuz square.

Edited by Sorarocks93

There a lot of people who love turned based games, Boogie from Youtube stated in his reaction to the FF7 Remake trailer, that he loves turned based games. I LOVE FF10, it's my 2nd favourite game behind the KH games. I adore the battle system and grinding in that game was a lot of fun. If it's turned based, it should be a fast type of turned based game, i don't mind waiting my turn as long as I'm not waiting forever and ever. 

FF7 REMAKE has become real time because it is more appealing. Mainly due to the impact of the KH series, a lot of KH fans are put off by the turned based gameplay of final fantasy, but with the KH series Square have realised that real time battle systems are more appealing and having completely new gameplay that is very similar to one of SE's best selling and received IP's-Kingdom Hearts, it will attract more KH fans and attract more people. Look at FFXV, a lot of KH fans have been clamoring for that game because it has a battle system similar to one of their favourite games.

It's more of a business decision, the new FF7 is a REMAKE. Nomura has said this previously "if you want the original FF7 on PS4 then you should play the port" (Not as bluntly of course). This is a remake, not FF7 with XV graphics. This game is going to sell a lot no matter what, Square are trying to milk as much money as they can out of FF7 Remake and if I was in their position I'd do the same. 

:D

I really like turn based battle systems like Persona, Pokemon, and Bravely Default. I've always found them to be fun. Sure they can get boring if I play a bunch of long turn-based games back to back, but I just mix it up with something different.

I must admit, though, I've never found any ATB battle system to be fun. I've tried Xenoblade, FF12, & FF13, and got bored. Pretty much anything with an auto-attack mechanic just turns me off. Either give me pure turn based or pure action, this weird in between combat isn't for me...

That's not to say that I think ATB is objectively terrible, it just isn't for me.

Action oriented titles are more appealing than turn based to the general audience nowadays, thus resulting in a larger amount of sales for a game. Don't hate me though, i really much like turn based games, but i prefer action ones.

As an RPG gamer myself, I personally think that the turn based system of old has always been a fun gameplay style for me!  A lot of people I know don't like it because they're like: "But why do you have to wait a turn to attack?" and other such questions.  I can understand that turn based gameplay isn't for everyone, but for those who do have the affection for it, good for them!  I don't think turn based combat sucks, because with this system, you have to carefully think what actions you'll take in order to secure victory!  Be too hasty, and my party dies.  Think a bit more, and I can eventually survive a few more turns!  It adds a sense of thrill, ya know? Games like FFIV, The Lord Of The Rings: The Third Age, Pokemon, etc. are great examples of how turn based combat excels!  But yeah, most people today just want fast and flashy! 

Don't get me wrong, though, I also love fast paced combat!  Kingdom Hearts is one of those RPG series that greatly excels at this type of combat, and I find it to be fun and engaging!  But anyways, what I'm getting at here is that there can be room for both styles of play, ya know?  Turn based combat doesn't have to go away, because many people still love that style, such as myself!

But yeah, that's just my two cents on all this. :3

I dont agree with Jim at all.I think jrpgs has way too many games with turn based gameplay that, it's becoming tiresome for me.

It's fine if it's not your cup of tea but it's a genre in itself, people can't decide that its dead

It's fine if it's not your cup of tea but it's a genre in itself, people can't decide that its dead

But they cant decide that turn base should be only gameplay jrpgs (or FF for example) can & should have.

But they cant decide that turn base should be only gameplay jrpgs (or FF for example) can & should have.

Jim does state that console rpgs and even square's own return to rig gameplay is still successful, so why try to change things drastically to action? so far it doesn't seem slightly strategic

i think Smash Mega Koopa already made a thread with the same video, if im not mistaken

oh shit, i guess he beat me to it ):

To those who point out Smash Mega Koopa did this topic, i just got informed but i'll let this topic stay up

Jim does state that console rpgs and even square's own return to rig gameplay is still successful, so why try to change things drastically to action? so far it doesn't seem slightly strategic oh shit, i guess he beat me to it ):To those who point out Smash Mega Koopa did this topic, i just got informed but i'll let this topic stay up

Maybe because the developers started to get boring of using the same gameplay over and over again ? As a creator and artist you eventually get bore of repeating the same.

Maybe because the developers started to get boring of using the same gameplay over and over again ? As a creator and artist you eventually get bore of repeating the same.

That can be also redirected to shooters and other genres, each project and title mix things up or add variety to the spectrum of Media