Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Exiblade7

There is NOTHING wrong with preferring story over gameplay

just saying this because I think there are some people on here who actually have that kind of opinion, but are scared that "true" gamers or people who think that their opinions are facts will bash on them for having an "invalid" opinion. I know that opinions CAN be wrong, but this isn't an invaild opinion actually, there is A LOT of games in this era that have gameplay AND story. Also, just because the story in the video game is simple doesn't mean that people can't like it. A LOT of people like Twilight Princess because of the story. Remeber guys at the end it all comes down to the person's opinion to like or to not like or even don't care about certain things. 

Actually, nearly every game these days have gameplay and story (save for the games that are heavily based on an Internet connection like Dota and Counter Strike. for those games, gameplay is VERY important). Yes there is nothing wrong with preferring story over gameplay, but without good gameplay you'll likely not play the game even if it has the best story you've ever stumbled upon. The Legend of Zelda series is a good example of having both good story and gameplay. Skyrim is another good example, heck each quest in that game is a story on it's own. The Devil May Cry reboot is also good and I really desire to play the originals because of it. I can't think of a game with bad gameplay from the top of my head, but I hope you get my point.

Actually, nearly every game these days have gameplay and story (save for the games that are heavily based on an Internet connection like Dota and Counter Strike. for those games, gameplay is VERY important). Yes there is nothing wrong with preferring story over gameplay, but without good gameplay you'll likely not play the game even if it has the best story you've ever stumbled upon. The Legend of Zelda series is a good example of having both good story and gameplay. Skyrim is another good example, heck each quest in that game is a story on it's own. The Devil May Cry reboot is also good and I really desire to play the originals because of it. I can't think of a game with bad gameplay from the top of my head, but I hope you get my point.

yeah, you're right. people will most likely won't play the game or won't care for the story if they don't like the gameplay and is honestly based off of people's opinions. I think that Tales of Graces' gameplay/battle system is bad gameplay wise, so i don't care much for the story.  

TBH I couldn't care less if someone bashed my opinion on this. I'll always prefer story over gameplay. Now if the gameplay is good, then that's a bonus and adds alot of replayability. For example the MGS series. Has very good story. But the gameplay is also so good that I would replay it all the time without getting bored.

just saying this because I think there are some people on here who actually have that kind of opinion, but are scared that "true" gamers or people who think that their opinions are facts will bash on them for having an "invalid" opinion. I know that opinions CAN be wrong, but this isn't an invaild opinion actually, there is A LOT of games in this era that have gameplay AND story. Heck, there is even a youtuber who has 17k subs that has that opinion. Also, just because the story in the video game is simple doesn't mean that people can't like it. A LOT of people like Twilight Princess because of the story. Remeber guys at the end it all comes down to the person's opinion to like or to not like or even don't care about certain things.

Unless people have said so in your thread about this, I personally think you are being a bit paranoid now. Relax. People have their opinions and you have yours.

Unless people have said so in your thread about this, I personally think you are being a bit paranoid now. Relax. People have their opinions and you have yours.

what do you mean by that?

Edited by Luke Fon Fabre

You're playing the wrong games.

Nah they are usually pretty bad.If a game does have a good story but horrible gameplay then i rather not play it at all and just watch all the cutscenes online.

you obviously haven't played tales of the abyss. 

Honestly can't stand the tales series.The story is usually the main things i just don't like and i doubt it'll ever change.

Nah they are usually pretty bad.If a game does have a good story but horrible gameplay then i rather not play it at all and just watch all the cutscenes online.

just because you think video game stories are bad doesn't mean that people can't like them. People are entitled to their own opinion. 

Edited by Luke Fon Fabre

Honestly, as long as a game has a great story and great gameplay, you can bet that I'll be playing it, for sure!  I just love the stories that video games tell, ya know? They're the kind of stories you get emotionally invested in, and well, when you see all the plot twists and turns and resolutions to the conflicts present, it makes you feel like you're part of it all, ya know?  Personally, I love story in a video game, and if a game doesn't have story, well, I find it hard to play.  Some games, like this year's Star Wars Battlefront and Super Smash Bros. 3DS are the exception, since both of these games have insanely fun gameplay that don't necessitate a story to go along with it, ya know? :3

But yeah, for me, I prefer story in video games. :3

So if you like the story and don't like the gameplay... why buy the game? Wouldn't you rather save $60 by watching the cutscenes online? This is a serious question btw.

So if you like the story and don't like the gameplay... why buy the game? Wouldn't you rather save $60 by watching the cutscenes online? This is a serious question btw.

Good question, but I'd say people usually like to experience the story first hand. In fact, in most cases where the gameplay is bad, the story is usually what drvies them to complete the game. They can even become emotionally invested in the story since they may enjoy it just that much.

If people have come out and say their opposition to your opinion whether it's in your thread or somewhere else, I think you are being paranoid.

maybe you're right. I do kinda fear people's opposition to my opinion because it feels like I have to agree with them, causing me to defend whatever I have to defend.  

just saying this because I think there are some people on here who actually have that kind of opinion, but are scared that "true" gamers or people who think that their opinions are facts will bash on them for having an "invalid" opinion. I know that opinions CAN be wrong, but this isn't an invaild opinion actually, there is A LOT of games in this era that have gameplay AND story. Heck, there is even a youtuber who has 17k subs that has that opinion. Also, just because the story in the video game is simple doesn't mean that people can't like it. A LOT of people like Twilight Princess because of the story. Remeber guys at the end it all comes down to the person's opinion to like or to not like or even don't care about certain things. 

For me it all depends on how well the integration between Gameplay and story is done

If it's an excellent integration like with the Shin Megami Tensei franchise(especially the main series and the Persona series),Metal Gear and the first ten Final Fantasy games then yeah I might love one over the other more but one would still be a core to the experience

Cuz if the gameplay doesn't matter I could just........y'know........watch the cutscenes over on youtube and never buyplay the game in the first place,defeating the entire point of making it a video game instead of making it an animemovieTV showVisual Novel.....etc

For me it all depends on how well the integration between Gameplay and story is done

If it's an excellent integration like with the Shin Megami Tensei franchise(especially the main series and the Persona series),Metal Gear and the first ten Final Fantasy games then yeah I might love one over the other more but one would still be a core to the experience

Cuz if the gameplay doesn't matter I could just........y'know........watch the cutscenes over on youtube and never buyplay the game in the first place,defeating the entire point of making it a video game instead of making it an animemovieTV showVisual Novel.....etc

nobody said the gameplay doesn't matter. In my opinion I think that the story is just as important as gameplay so if I just watch the cutscenes on youtube from a video game that I MAY or REALLY like, it ruins the experience for me.  xP

Edited by Luke Fon Fabre

nobody said the gameplay doesn't matter. xP

Maybe but the way you worded it didn't help me understand that you meant such a thing

Cuz the general opinion on this site seems to stomp any opposing perspective regarding what they prefer or align themselves with

Hence why people get super defensive when we criticize stuff like Final Fantasy XIII,Lightning, or mentioning the importance of giving the player control & choice.....etc heck just saying one bad word against Square Enix is some how the gravest sin a son of man can make on this site

Edited by Smash Mega Koopa

Maybe but the way you worded it didn't help me understand that you meant such a thing

Cuz the general opinion on this site seems to stomp any opposing perspective regarding what they prefer or align themselves with

Hence why people get super defensive when we criticize stuff like Final Fantasy XIII,Lightning, or mentioning the importance of giving the player control & choice.....etc heck just saying one bad word against Square Enix is some how the gravest sin a son of man can make on this site

maybe so, but that doesn't happen all the time. I guess they (including me) need to learn how to not defend what they think they believe/what we prefer because at the end, people do in fact have opinions whether they disagree with them or not. I do believe that my opinion (this topic's title) is just as equal to people's opinions that are the straight opposite. 

so... my opinion is invalid? 

Edited by Luke Fon Fabre