Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Toominator

Toominator's Rise of the Tomb Raider review!

Hey everyone! Today I would like to share with you my thoughts on Rise of the Tomb Raider, published by Square Enix and developed by Crystal Dynamics.

I would like to preface this review by saying I will not spoil any of the story, and if you did not like the 2013 reboot, Tomb Raider, then you will not like Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Now, if you did like the 2013 reboot, then you are in for a treat. Rise of the Tomb Raider keeps common elements from the previous game: gorgeous environments, upgradeable skills and weapons, and a thrilling, action-packed story. It has been debated as to whether the story becomes too predictable, but I'll say that I did not see the large twist coming, so the story kept me on-edge and wanting more!

Aside from bringing back the enjoyable elements that made the previous game great, Rise of the Tomb Raider introduces just a bit more. The most notable of these additions is the inclusion of side quests, or extra missions. There weren't that many, so it did not get repetitive, and the missions were different pretty much every time. It was an interesting addition. Aside from that, combat was much more fluid and crafting weapons/ammo was simple and made gameplay that much better. Lastly, the greatest improvement is the much more tame action. Let me explain: In the first game, it seemed that every jump you make would lead to some disaster in which Lara goes through a near-death experience. It seemed really over-the-top. That doesn't happen nearly as much in this title. 

Really, the only gripes I have with the game are the occasionally wonky movements (it took a few tries to get the jump placed perfectly to climb the wall, etc.) and the fact that ammo/crafting materials are WAY too plentiful. I never felt the urgency or desperation to collect materials because I was always in full stock. Also, the fact that I could craft ammo means that there really didn't need to be ammo lying around every corner. Other than that, the game was very enjoyable.

In conclusion, if you enjoyed the first, you'll love Rise of the Tomb Raider. They didn't fix much, which is fine, and the things they did improve on were for the better.

Verdict: 9.4/10

This was my first reboot Tomb Raider game.

After this, I'm buying the first one.

All I can say is 10/10

Would spend 30 minutes walking around not noticing I can throw a lantern at a tarp with wood and burn it to progress again.

Edited by Rocketboy227