Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Alright, so I've been looking at news for the upcoming Disney flick Zootopia for some time, and after gathering some more infomration today, including some recent adverts, something occurred to me:

This is possibly one of the worst ideas that Disney has ever come up with.

I mean, what is the appeal behind this movie? "The ultimate anthro tribute"? "Animals walk and talk like humans, lol"? "There's never been an actual movie where all that happens is that animals literally replace humans and they do basically all the stuff we do?"

Who's bright idea was this? And who's idea was to make the concept seem so generic as all Hell, and yet at the same time treat it like some revolutionary and original idea based on the trailers I've seen? We're not stupid, Disney, we've seen this schtick before.

Also, there's another side to this that involves furry undertones but... uh... I'm not gonna even try with that. Mostly because I don't want to think about it...

All I know is that this is a painfully average concept that Disney should never even considered. It just seems so f*cking lazy. And yet, I'm seeing all these hype around it like it's going to be the next Lion King. I just don't get it. At least Cars took something that you don't normally see - literal cars and other vehicles - and made them talk. Seriously, Disney literally has a library of talking animals, plus human-esque animals in general.

Maybe I'm just missing the point. If anybody has a logical analysis to share, please do so.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Well, this is all coming from the eyes of a furry, so bear with me.

...heh, bear...

Anyways, I'm personally with you on this. There isn't anything revolutionary here. Not in the direct sense. The only revolutionary thing about it is that it contains anthro animals that actually play to their real-life traits. Be it in size, mannerisms, what have you. I don't remember a movie that's ever done that before, and I personally think it's really cool. But take that element out, and it really is the plot, characters, jokes, etc. that will make the movie what it is. So no, it isn't as revolutionary as people make it out to be. I personally believe that it will be a great movie, though!

I signed in for the first time in AGES just to say I disagree. Sure the movie might end up being dumb, but there's nothing wrong with the concept. I could say all the Disney Princess movies are copies of each other because they all follow the same basic formula. But they're still different enough to set them apart.

I totally disagree with your opinion,the concept is not wrong, you're who is wrong with the concept, I'm from spain and the film is on theaters atm, I went to see it and I can tell that is one of the BEST movies that Disney has made lately, It can be equiparable to Big Hero 6 or Tangled as well, a very nice movie that I recommend to all of you, and that I hope to see it in a future Kingdom Hearts.

It's not the concept, but the characters and the jokes, that appeal to people. Whether you share their opinions is entirely up to you.

All that is very true. Also, the animation is probably the most detailed and beautiful I've seen in a film. When you think they can't possibly make animation look any better, DIsney come out and outdo themselves I mean look:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those are pretty poor SD screens, and even they look good. Watch the actual HD trailer and these two parts will blow you away.

And judging by the music in the trailers it's going to have one hell of a soundtrack.

And another thing. The story seems to have hints of a mystery, with a detective exploring what's causing some of the animals to turn savage (i.e what's making them go from acting as humans to their actual animal selves), while having a protagonist that has something to prove: solving a case while overcoming the odds and showing the world, who won't take her seriously because of her size, that size doesn't matter. I think that's fairly original, definitely moreso than Disney's Princess love stories (which are almost all <i>very</i> awesome and different enough to stand out from one another). 

Also Disney made Tangled (my favorite Disney film), Frozen (Didn't like it that much but it's their most successful), Big Hero 6 (fantastic, could watch it 20 more times and never get bored.) They are on a role! I don't see hat changing.

So yeah, I am VERY hyped for this film. Day 1 viewing for me. :)

Hey, I understand where you're coming from. From the beginning I really questioned the idea and premise too. I mean, "What if animals could walk and talk and do all the things we humans do today?" As opposed to which Disney movie again? And the fact that the whole anthro thing was the big selling point of the movie, yeah, I would be lying if I didn't feel some kind of furry vibe with the first few teasers.

But then after I saw a few more trailers and got more exposed to the jokes and teased plot a little more, I came to the conclusion: "Hey, who the hell cares? It's a Disney movie! They have reused formulas before in the past and still manage to make each film enjoyable, why should this be such an exception?" The main premise it's trying to sell, sure, it's already been done to death by Disney (if anything Illumination's rival film might be a touch more inspired....if they would only tell you what the actual plot is supposed to be other than pets having fun...), but you know what else has been done to death by Disney? Fairy tail movies, princess movies, adventure, etc. We have literally been given similar things by Disney multiple times, but each time the experience always feels new because it's adding something unique to each movie. The main difference I can see that sets this movie apart from something like say, Chicken Little, is that in that movie the anthro jokes wasn't the main focus, it was just kind of a funny byproduct from setting the world up that way in the first place. Zootopia seems clearly intent on having that idea be the main selling focus of the movie, while trying to keep whatever plot there is as tightly wrapped as they can, though giving a few more (perhaps too many) hints as it nears release.

But again, the premise, why is it worth sitting through the "same thing" all over again? Well, the things that are winning me over so far are actually the things that Disney does best at: the characters and their fitting personalities, how they interact off each other, the jokes that go behind the animal they are and the kind of person they are parodying, societal parody and humor, funny dialogue, appealing art style (each of these characters actually feels like a well drawn 2D sketch brought to life), and my personal favorite, the promise of being surprised. I found that the less I knew about the movie, the more interested I was. "Exactly what kind of a plot are they going to try and push in a movie like this anyway?" For the first time in years I could go into a movie knowing little about the subject matter and actually be at mercy to the plot, without fear of it being a horrid experience. However as I said they are getting more and more liberal with how much they show in their trailers and I'm really worried that they may have just given away not only crucial plot details but also some key jokes, so hopefully there's a few in-between ones that are just as good.

As for the whole "furry thing", pfffffft, dude, seriously? People have been making fan art of characters like Mickey and Robin Hood for years now and now you think "Oh god they're making this movie just for the furries, it's worse than I thought they're taking over!"? Man, the whole furry-phobia thing is kind of a stale potato, who honestly cares about what other people are fascinated in? If anything it makes sense. The sheer fact that more than half of all animated films revolve around anthropomorphic animals alone is proof that to some degree we all like human-like animals, it only makes sense that there are people out there that are a little more enthusiastic about them. It's no weirder than most straight males being attracted to adult women but a few being really really attracted to high heals on women or something like that. There's nothing wrong with it and there's no need to make such a fuss about them and their internet presence either.

As far as I'm concerned if the movie ends up having a good story and great characters as well as some good jokes and genuine moments, then really who cares what it's face looks like? It's still a good movie either way. Cars may have been the same way for a lot of people, yet it's got people who really love the movies. I'd say this has a fair shot. It's really just a matter of opening up your mind and just saying "Okay, alright Disney, let's see what you actually do with this that makes it so interesting." If there's anybody you can trust with doing something like this, it may as well be Disney. We can only really judge what it actually is after we've seen it. Personally, I'm really hoping to be pleasantly surprised, despite how much I've seen in the trailers.

All of this. Amazing post

I really admire your opinion and I can see where your coming from. However I actually do like the concept of the movie. Yeah, there's plenty of movies about talking animals but I think the setting itself is unique. Most talking animal movies takes place in the old times, while this movie is actually a very modern casual present day in the city. What I like most however is the fact that it's about a bunny cop, which is something I think is unique. Because of the fact that all the other animals are big, I think it's also very interesting and unique to see a bunny try to take on the challenge of being a cop.

Lol, Cars isn't also a original concept or anything. Talking vehicles have been around for a long time in movies, cartoons and videogames :') 

Yeah, but they've never been the focal point of an entire movie before Cars. Not that it's a good thing.

I signed in for the first time in AGES just to say I disagree. Sure the movie might end up being dumb, but there's nothing wrong with the concept. I could say all the Disney Princess movies are copies of each other because they all follow the same basic formula. But they're still different enough to set them apart.

See, Disney Princess films at least all have a sense of granduer as well as a couple of different themes here and there. Still, my point isn't really that it's not different enough, it's that it feel uninspired.

I totally disagree with your opinion,the concept is not wrong, you're who is wrong with the concept,

Posted Image

It can be equiparable to Big Hero 6 or Tangled as well, a very nice movie that I recommend to all of you, and that I hope to see it in a future Kingdom Hearts.

That's a "no" on both points.

Alright, so I'm not really feeling the feedback I'm getting here obviously. However, I do understand where all of you are coming from. And for those I didn't quote, your posts are too damn long. xD

But, my opinion still stands. I just expect better from Disney is all. This is the sort of thing I expect from maybe Dreamworks or Blue Sky, but not the same company that gave us Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Toy Story, etc. It just feels complacent, an easy movie to make with an easier audience to please.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Same concept or not but hey these concepts had been done in the past. And no matter how we look at it these same concepts will be made in the present and in the future, but it doesn't matter if Disney using the same concepts, what really matters is if the story is good and entertaining. If you ask me Zootopia actually looks really good this movie is buddy-comedy movie which is different from Chicken Little. And I don't see how this movie is "lazy?" This movie looks like is being made by a couple of creative animators who just loves movies and they want to tell a entertaining story to the world.

Same concept or not but hey these concepts had been done in the past. And no matter how we look at it these same concepts will be made in the present and in the future, but it doesn't matter if Disney using the same concepts, what really matters is if the story is good and entertaining. If you ask me Zootopia actually looks really good this movie is buddy-comedy movie which is different from Chicken Little. And I don't see how this movie is "lazy?" This movie looks like is being made by a couple of creative animators who just loves movies and they want to tell a entertaining story to the world.

Again, this is Disney we're talking about. The company/studio that sets standards in animation. I expect them to try harder. I'm not discrediting the people behind this movie, but this just feels like taking two steps back instead of one step forward. Especially since the execution could very well turn out to be painfully average at the end of the day.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

I just watched Zootopia. I wasn't too keen on seeing the movie in the first place, but like usual, doesn't hurt to try. I was surprised at how really good the movie was.

It has a quality of 9/10. The humor is handed out purfectly, every scene would have a clever joke that actually got me to laugh and I don't usually do that :P Even the ending was well made xD. Expect many laughs, some cute moments because animals, a few scares, intense moments, sad moments and the clever writing which will without a doubt get your attention quickly.

It turned out to be another great Disney movie. Disney definitely delivered with this one. When it releases world wide, give it a shot.

Yeah, but they've never been the focal point of an entire movie before Cars. Not that it's a good thing.

See, Disney Princess films at least all have a sense of granduer as well as a couple of different themes here and there. Still, my point isn't really that it's not different enough, it's that it feel uninspired.

Posted Image

That's a "no" on both points.

Alright, so I'm not really feeling the feedback I'm getting here obviously. However, I do understand where all of you are coming from. And for those I didn't quote, your posts are too damn long. xD

But, my opinion still stands. I just expect better from Disney is all. This is the sort of thing I expect from maybe Dreamworks or Blue Sky, but not the same company that gave us Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Toy Story, etc. It just feels complacent, an easy movie to make with an easier audience to please.

At least I watched the movie before talk,even the if the idea was used in the past the movie is good, another thing is that you hate the concept that's why I said you're wrong with the concept not for being badass, you think you're funny? I'm sorry but no, watch the movie and then came and say whatevar you want, but my opinion must be respectable the same way that I can respect yours.

At least I watched the movie before talk,even the if the idea was used in the past the movie is good, another thing is that you hate the concept that's why I said you're wrong with the concept not for being badass, you think you're funny? I'm sorry but no, watch the movie and then came and say whatevar you want, but my opinion must be respectable the same way that I can respect yours.

I was pulling your leg, guy. Chill out.

But really, I'm not "wrong" for having an opinion. Yes, I haven't seen the movie yet and I can't fully judge the final product because of that, but I'm not talking about the final product, just the concept and the hype built around it based on advertising.

Again, this is Disney we're talking about. The company/studio that sets standards in animation. I expect them to try harder. I'm not discrediting the people behind this movie, but this just feels like taking two steps back instead of one step forward. Especially since the execution could very well turn out to be painfully average at the end of the day.

As a man who went to watch the movie, I can assure you that the movies execution was fantastic.

So feel free to take that opinion however you will.

The movie was alright in my opinion, not spectacular, not god awful, I agree with Firaga in that it is something you'd expect someone like Dreamworks to make. And people saying that it should be in Kingdom Hearts, I am terribly sorry, but just... No...

I'm not going into why it shouldn't be in KH because I've already deeply expressed why it shouldn't be before and I've given evidence to back it up.

This IS Disney we are talking about here, so I wouldn't put my standards up too high.

I just hope to god it isn't in three.

It's funny looking back at this topic, Zootopia is one of Disney's few properties to hit the 1 billion mark. Oh how expectations have defied us.

It's funny looking back at this topic, Zootopia is one of Disney's few properties to hit the 1 billion mark. Oh how expectations have defied us.

I forgot I even made this thread.

My opinion still hasn't changed.

I forgot I even made this thread.

My opinion still hasn't changed.

Really, this movie distinguishes itself because it confronts racism though metaphorical animal analogies. That alone completely surpasses the moral of nearly every other Disney (and even Pixar) animal movie to date.

Really, this movie distinguishes itself because it confronts racism though metaphorical animal analogies. That alone completely surpasses the moral of nearly every other Disney (and even Pixar) animal movie to date.

It still doesn't belong in Kingdom Hearts, imo.

It still doesn't belong in Kingdom Hearts, imo.

That's got absolutely nothing to do with the movie as a standalone product, and as an extension, why you originally created this topic. Not every movie created by Disney Animation/Pixar has to fit the ideal Kingdom Hearts model for it to be good.

Edited by Guest

That's got absolutely nothing to do with the movie as a standalone product, and as an extension, why you originally created this topic. My every movie created by Disney Animation/Pixar has to fit the ideal Kingdom Hearts model for it to be good.

Yeah, well, this is my topic, so this is what it's about now. NYEAAAH...

In all seriousness, I literally just forgot the point of this thread in the span of a few seconds. See how irrelevant to my life this thread became? xD