Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

In many of the Kingdom Hearts games, many villains are able to create these invisible force fields that block you from leaving a room and forcing you to fight or blocks of part members from helping you fight. This is clearly for plot convenience and it shouldn't be thought about too seriously, but how does it make sense plot and lore wise? What are these invisible force fields? When you go up to them and touch them, you can see the same hexagon pattern on them that you see on Reflect, so are they just an advanced version of Reflect that these villains are using? It's strange because sometimes they appear without any villain even there.

I know that this currently has no real answer, other than plot convenience, but what are your thoughts and opinions on this? What do you think these invisible force fields are? Everything in-game in all KH games is canon, even save points are canon, so it's a pretty interesting thing to think about.

I  never really gave it much thought: The KH world plays by videogame logic, and some of that logic truly makes no sense. You might as well try to figure out how Sora wore the same clothes for over a year, and didn't smell like a dead elephant. 

I assume the barriers are just plot devices to keep you in battle, or let you know a battle is starting: the patterns might just be patterns for the heck of it. 

But I've never perosnally thought about it too much. 

It's just there because the developers don't want people to be able to cheat the system and leave in the middle of a fight.  In the "real world" these would not exist.

they're there because it's a video game and the devs don't want you to run away during the fight.

as for an in-game explanation it's just a barrier spell of some sort that the boss casts. it doesn't really need an explanation. very minor aspect of the games. 

In many of the Kingdom Hearts games, many villains are able to create these invisible force fields that block you from leaving a room and forcing you to fight or blocks of part members from helping you fight. This is clearly for plot convenience and it shouldn't be thought about too seriously, but how does it make sense plot and lore wise? What are these invisible force fields? When you go up to them and touch them, you can see the same hexagon pattern on them that you see on Reflect, so are they just an advanced version of Reflect that these villains are using? It's strange because sometimes they appear without any villain even there.

I know that this currently has no real answer, other than plot convenience, but what are your thoughts and opinions on this? What do you think these invisible force fields are? Everything in-game in all KH games is canon, even save points are canon, so it's a pretty interesting thing to think about.

Actually I never really thought that they were the work of the villains. I always just kind of assumed the world itself put those up. I mean, if the worlds could have barriers around themselves it makes sense for them to make smaller barriers around particular people right? It probably prevents the carnage and destruction from harming anyone unfortunate enough to pass by. Maybe there are some cases where villains do take them to their advantage, like Ansem-possesed-Riku isolating Sora from Donald and Goofy right before their climatic battle....twice.

It probably wasn't meant to be thought about plot-wise. If you're like me and enjoy cooking up in-universe explanations, you can handwave it as some kind of nifty barrier-type spells the baddies use to trap the goodies.

Actually I never really thought that they were the work of the villains. I always just kind of assumed the world itself put those up. I mean, if the worlds could have barriers around themselves it makes sense for them to make smaller barriers around particular people right? It probably prevents the carnage and destruction from harming anyone unfortunate enough to pass by. Maybe there are some cases where villains do take them to their advantage, like Ansem-possesed-Riku isolating Sora from Donald and Goofy right before their climatic battle....twice.

The barriers around the worlds themselves are made from Gummi.

Judging from their Honeycomb Pattern that is present in a lot of games anyway, plus the spell Reflect, it is likely a very powerful Barrier Spell similar to the aforementioned Reflect tree of spells, but it surrounds a larger area and is completely impregnable, lasting for the duration of the conflict at hand.

For bosses, I can assume the Boss him/herself casts the spell before commencing in order to prevent escape, minimize collateral damage and/or to isolate their opponent from any and all assistance such as when Riku-Ansem fought Sora, and I'm certain Saix cast this spell when Riku(Ansem) protected Kairi and was thrown quite the distance in order for the Berserker to fight only Sora and his useless in-game companions. xP

For normal enemy filled scripted encounters, either someone is casting it behind the scenes, the enemies collectively combine their powers for a moment to make the shield or it's done by the Heart of the World. The latter is very unlikely in my personal opinion.

Considering how powerful people are in Kingdom Hearts, it's not unreasonable to assume that they can make such large Barriers themselves. I mean, Master Xehanort was able to make huge Rock Pillars erupt from the ground with a simple raise of the hand. Damn. xD