Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
mag77

How long do you prefer rpgs?

There's probably already a topic like this, but I can't find it.  Anyway, just like the title says, how many hours do you prefer it takes in order to finish an rpg?

I personally like very long rpgs; the longer the better.  Anything that's over 30 hours is good, though I really like games that take over 60 hours.  However, there are plenty of rpgs I like that aren't particularly long, such as Final Fantasy IV and VI.

normally i'd say anything past 40-50 is pushing it for me. i see RPGs as major time investments and knowing that i've got dozens of other good, less time consuming games i've never played, it's hard to pick one up these days.

of course Persona 5 will be the one i definitely pick up simply because i feel confident going in that i'll enjoy it

No real preference here. I've played short RPGs, like Arc the Lad (1st one), Undertale and some others, and have enjoyed them quite a bit. I won't deny that I like longer RPGs, though. Anything I can spend a good 50+ hours on is most wonderful, but really, as long as it has a good story and decent gameplay, it's good enough for me. I think it also just depends on the game itself. For example, Undertale felt like it had the perfect length, and there are some games I've played that felt a little stretched out.

Edited by Svard

I don't know that I have any particular preference, but I love longer ones. I mean, my favorite RPGs of all time (Xenoblade + Xenoblade X) took me in the range of 75-90 hours each to complete. 20 hour RPGs just aren't all that impressive to me anymore after I've played incredibly long ones that managed to still amaze me 70+ hours in. Doesn't mean that shorter ones are bad, though. Still love games like EarthBound, Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger.

Hehe, okay then.

I don't know if that was sarcasm or not, but being that I've played MANY more longer RPGs, I can safely say Undertale is one of the much shorter ones (not undermining its quality, however).

I don't know if that was sarcasm or not, but being that I've played MANY more longer RPGs, I can safely say Undertale is one of the much shorter ones (not undermining its quality, however).

Quite a bit of replayability though so it does add quite a bit more hours on to it.

Quite a bit of replayability though so it does add quite a bit more hours on to it.

I'm not counting replayability as length of an RPG. I'm counting how long it takes for an RPG's full content to be experienced in the time of the current content's availability. For Undertale, this would be Neutral, Pacifist, Genocide, etc. Combined, this could take 20-30 hours, more or less, depending on your skill level in battles. I've played RPGs with over 100 hours of game content, some with even more.

I'm not counting replayability as length of an RPG. I'm counting how long it takes for an RPG's full content to be experienced in the time of the current content's availability. For Undertale, this would be Neutral, Pacifist, Genocide, etc. Combined, this could take 20-30 hours, more or less, depending on your skill level in battles. I've played RPGs with over 100 hours of game content, some with even more.

Ahh yeah fair enough. 

20-25 is short but sweet and 40-50 is a nice meaty one like a zelda or FF. anything above that is usually the best since it means I'm really enjoying it and it has a lot of content like Witcher 3, Monster Hunter tri, and KH2

dragon quest 8 took me around 100 and i there was alot i missed x D i like them long so i can go through phases like the characters(getting tired, the dread of grinding, fearing a boss, etc)

Me and my dad are playing Dragon Quest 8 right now!  We've beaten it about 10 times now, and it is pretty long.  The first time we played it, it took us about 80 hours and we didn't find everything, but now it takes us about 40-50 hours and we've gotten everything.

I don't know that I have any particular preference, but I love longer ones. I mean, my favorite RPGs of all time (Xenoblade + Xenoblade X) took me in the range of 75-90 hours each to complete. 20 hour RPGs just aren't all that impressive to me anymore after I've played incredibly long ones that managed to still amaze me 70+ hours in. Doesn't mean that shorter ones are bad, though. Still love games like EarthBound, Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger.

I don't really care how long it is. It could be five hours, it could be sixty. So long as they did a good job with it and made it feel complete, I'll love it. Because there are tons of pointless, boring, long RPGs and tons of fantastical short RPGs. 

So, yeah. Depends.

Agreed; there's nothing wrong with short rpgs.  Like I said, I love Final Fantasy IV and VI, as well as Undertale, which are all pretty short.  It just depends.

I love long RPGs. *cough* Undertale. *cough*

I love Undertale (but you know this already)!  However, I do find it to be rather short, which is totally fine.

Edited by mag77

I love to play an RPG that has quite the lengthy story, so yeah, I like playing RPG's that make me really sink my time into them, ya know!  I think I've logged quite the considerable amount of hours into the Kingdom Hearts series, and I've also dug a whole lot of hours playing the Tales games!  And just recently I finished up the first Dark Souls with 90+ hours!  So yeah, I like an RPG that has a great story that takes a long time to beat! :3

I prefer games don't take a very long time to beat like tales of xillia 1 and slightly longer ones. I might have said this before in a post in the kh3 section, but whatever; I honestly can't stand lengthy games