Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Firaga

"Power Rangers (2017)" Suit Designs Revealed

I opted to post this video about the article instead of just the article itself because... well, because Black Nerd is awesome, that's why.

Anyways: the suits, much like Rita's design, are clearly made for a contemporary and modern audience. I didn't mind Rita's design, and I don't mind these designs either. Honestly, they look really cool.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Oh wow, I actually thought you were going to go off on another rant or something, but yeah, I think they look pretty cool too. It seems practical for what a modern day theatrical version of Mighty Morphin would look like. I haven't seen Rita yet though, guess I'll have to look for that on my own. X3"

Oh wow, I actually thought you were going to go off on another rant or something.

I'm trying to look at this movie with an open mind. I'm not one to cling to nostalgia or wear rose colored glasses, especially concerning Power Rangers because even though I love it so, translating it to a mainstream film is going to require some major rehauling in terms of how it looks and how it feels. And as long as it doesn't go into tryhard edgelord territory, which would be a full betrayal of the source material (*coughPower/Rangerscough*), I'll accept any other form of "modernization"... as long as I actually like it that is. But in terms of the very idea that it needs modernization, then yes, I understand that its necessary.

I'm trying to look at this movie with an open mind. I'm not one to cling to nostalgia or wear rose colored glasses, especially concerning Power Rangers because even though I love it so, translating it to a mainstream film is going to require some major rehauling in terms of how it looks and how it feels. And as long as it doesn't go into tryhard edgelord territory, which would be a full betrayal of the source material (*coughPower/Rangerscough*), I'll accept any other form of "modernization"... as long as I actually like it that is. But in terms of the very idea that it needs modernization, then yes, I understand that its necessary.

Well good on ya there. Yeah, I feel that some modernization is necessary when it comes to bringing back old things, it just really depends on how you use it sometimes. As with Power/Rangers, I'm pretty sure the whole point of that was to joke about how a Hollywood remake/reboot movie of the Power Rangers would be like, complete with the ultimate joke of the director/creator having never watched a single episode of the show. At least, that's how I interpreted it, so maybe it's meant to be a joke in afterthought. Point is though, yeah, changes are necessary sometimes when it comes to a media transition, especially with the retelling and retooling of a story. I mean, that show was fun and all, but that was back in the 90's, we didn't expect things to look as good as they do nowadays. A lot of movie goers outside of the fan base would be really confused seeing a bunch of brightly colored people in thin jumpsuits running around doing Sentai poses when these days we're used to armored or dark-colored heroes in suits dealing heavy punches, explosions, and having a slightly more heavy feel and such. So if the movie has to step a bit in that direction, I say it's fine, so long as they don't overdo it. Like, yeah, make the bad guys present an actual threat and put a little bit of seriousness into the idea that teens have to defend an entire planet, but don't forget to have at least a little fun with it, I mean it's still Power Rangers after all. So far the suits seem to be a physical representation of what the movie is doing so far, kind of modernizing and roughing out the look and feel a bit, but leaving just enough that's still recognizable, iconic, and fun to watch from Power Rangers, so hopefully the writing, action, dialogue (well, maybe not the dialogue as much, that got kinda bad sometimes), and visuals harken back in a similar manner, than I'm sure it'll be great.

EDIT: After just seeing the image of new Rita, I will say, while I do find it to be the most drastic of redesigns out of the reboot so far, it still doesn't feel as unsettling to me as much. I mean, yeah she doesn't look as "witchy" as she used to, but then again, how many rebooted and redesigned witch movies are we getting these days anyway? Cause at this point every other witch type character has gotten some form of a redesign that looks along the lines of this, so at the very least she fits in with the crowd a little bit. Of course, she could probably also do that thing where she just wears a different outfit every other scene, cause ego, but either way, she looks menacing enough, which is kind of the point of her being there anyway.

Edited by Hero of Light XIV