Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Disney Infinity Discontinued

They'll probably just go under a new contract with Square Enix and give them license to use their characters and settings and everything will continue as planned. Hopefully at least.

Edited by Geralt

In an 2016 fiscal earnings report released by The Walt Disney Company, it was listed that the company would be discontinuing Disney Infinity. Disney Interactive later released a statement on their website confirming this news.

Unfortunately, this announcement confirms that there will be no future collaborations between the Kingdom Hearts series and Disney Infinity. The Kingdom Key was announced as the Ultimate Unlock for Disney Infinity 3.0 at D23 2016 and attendees also received special power discs that allowed their Mickey figures to don his outfit from the Kingdom Hearts series. The Ultimate Unlock became available in Disney Infinity 3.0 as of March 15, 2016.

Disney Infinity will release two final play sets for the upcoming movies Alice Through the Looking Glass and Finding Dory before ceasing production. The Alice Through The Looking Glass play set will release May 2016 and the Finding Dory play set will release in June 2016.

What other sort collaborations would you like to see Kingdom Hearts be involved with in the future? Let us know in the comments.

Click here to view the article

Well, considering Kingdom Hearts is published by Square Enix, this should have no effect on the future of the Kingdom Hearts series. Disney Infinity was was used as a way to stop having to publish games for every movie that came out (look at the old pirates of the caribbean games and stuff) and just put them all into one game. Kingdom Hearts has never been published by Disney or Avalanche, the game studio that Disney owned and closed today.

Well, considering Kingdom Hearts is published by Square Enix, this should have no effect on the future of the Kingdom Hearts series. Disney Infinity was was used as a way to stop having to publish games for every movie that came out (look at the old pirates of the caribbean games and stuff) and just put them all into one game. Kingdom Hearts has never been published by Disney or Avalanche, the game studio that Disney owned and closed today.

But Kingdom Hearts was a collaboration between Square Enix and Disney Interactive Studios. Plus Disney Interactive Studios was supposed to be the distributor for KH3. There's gonna be some problems. 

But Kingdom Hearts was a collaboration between Square Enix and Disney Interactive Studios. Plus Disney Interactive Studios was supposed to be the distributor for KH3. There's gonna be some problems. 

Disney could still pay for the distribution of the game even if their game studio no longer exists.

Disney Interactive is not going anywhere, but a few studios were shut down including the one producing Infinity. Regardless, as has been said already, Square Enix is the publisher for the Kingdom Hearts series. 

Also, look at the original article at the top of this thread and read the last sentence. KH should have no issues

Yeah pretty much. It's probably just a few business papers between Disney and SE to work out the details on how distribution and what not will happen now. Not too much of a biggie for everyone but the companies themselves. Paperwork is a hassle. ;)

Yeah pretty much. It's probably just a few business papers between Disney and SE to work out the details on how distribution and what not will happen now. Not too much of a biggie for everyone but the companies themselves. Paperwork is a hassle. ;)

Haha yeah I mean, nothing they can't work out in the 6 months till 2.8 and who knows how long till KH3, right? ;)

You may as well delete my identical topic. I hope the people at Disney Interactive get new employment asap. 

Wise decision for Disney to stick with third party publishers. Ducktales and Castle of Illusion were what they were because of Capcom and Sega respectively.

Wait what? I honestly thought Disney Infinity was a gold mine for them.Maybe there just became too many characters to buy? Or maybe the fact that the toy box could only go so far without much content?Idk. It's a shame definitely :/

The KH figures dream is dead :(

It was my dream too so I feel you. 

You may as well delete my identical topic. I hope the people at Disney Interactive get new employment asap. 

Wise decision for Disney to stick with third party publishers. Ducktales and Castle of Illusion were what they were because of Capcom and Sega respectively.

Nah yours is more of a discussion so it's up to you. 

Wait what? I honestly thought Disney Infinity was a gold mine for them.Maybe there just became too many characters to buy? Or maybe the fact that the toy box could only go so far without much content?Idk. It's a shame definitely :/

It definitely is a shame. I guess they weren't making as much money as they hoped and to be honest The Walt Disney Company has lost a ton of money on Disneyland Shanghai which is a big damper on everything right now. I used to work at Walt Disney World and a ton of my co-workers have had their hours cut and the Disney Parks have had to increase their ticket prices and come up with all sorts of schemes to try and make up the money because they went so over budget with Shanghai. 

This is saddening. I have surprisingly enjoyed Disney Infinity a lot. Though even then the amount of play sets available already is huge. The possibilities with whats already here is a large wealth of content. But I would have loved to get more from upcoming Disney films and such. 

Incredibly disappointed by this news. I'm a huge fan of the figures (and 3.0 wasn't bad either), so to get the news that there will be no more is quite a shame. Talk about dropping the ball there Disney.

Also wishing the folk affected by the closure of Avalanche Software all the best for the future, after all it's never nice hearing when a studio closes down.

It's not even just Disney infinity being cancelled but that Disney is no longer going to publish games.

Disney Interactive is remaining in place (which is the entity connected to the Kingdom Hearts series) and Square Enix is the publisher of the Kingdom Hearts series, so I didn't include that information as to not cause a mass panic for no reason since it's technically not relevant. 

It might cause a few snags, but Kh should go on as planned: 80% of the material (Characters, story, settings, items, weapons, Ff related material) is owned by Square, so Disney can easily make a deal to still let out their characters for the series. 

Slightly off topic, kinda sad to see the Disney games go: some of the movie tie ins, while not exactly great, were fun little diversions. The Alice game for

wii was even fairly decent, almost good for a tie in.

Guess those days are over. 

Edited by Jack Snow