Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Kingdomhe

Why does Overwatch not have a story?

Because Blizzard.

Seriously though, it just downright baffles me. It makes zero sense. Blizzard is doing so much promotions for Overwatch between the cinematic trailers and folklore, so the fact that there's no storynkde is pretty stupid. I really hope the update the game with a storymode or even make a show of Overwatch. If they don't then it's a giant missed opportunity.

I'm fine with it because personally I don't think the game needs it. You can almost compare it to other moba's like League. No story mode but plenty of lore about the characters.

There's already plenty of information and backstory about the characters and the game online and I'm sure Blizzard is going to add more.

I wouldn't complain if they decided to add story campaigns for the characters in the future though.

It doesnt need one?

Games that are focused solely on multiplayer arent necessarily made with the mindset of people wanting to play the game on their own. From what Ive seen it isnt exactly selling itself as a game that has its own story campaign to play, so Im not exactly pissed about it not having a story. However,with all the characters that theyve put into it, along with the shorts that they keep pushing out for it, I wouldnt be surprised if later down the road Overwatch ended up doing what Team Fortress 2 did and start having its own dedicated comics and shorts.

It seems like the game is the start of a bigger plan that Blizzard has in mind to make Overwatch this big new franchise. But you gotta have a good product to sell from the get go in order for that to happen, so for them to focus their priorities on making a good game first and focus on any story stuff later is honestly not a bad decision for Blizzard to make.

I'm fine with it because personally I don't think the game needs it. You can almost compare it to other moba's like League. No story mode but plenty of lore about the characters.

There's already plenty of information and backstory about the characters and the game online and I'm sure Blizzard is going to add more.

I wouldn't complain if they decided to add story campaigns for the characters in the future though.

It doesnt need one?

Games that are focused solely on multiplayer arent necessarily made with the mindset of people wanting to play the game on their own. From what Ive seen it isnt exactly selling itself as a game that has its own story campaign to play, so Im not exactly pissed about it not having a story. However,with all the characters that theyve put into it, along with the shorts that they keep pushing out for it, I wouldnt be surprised if later down the road Overwatch ended up doing what Team Fortress 2 did and start having its own dedicated comics and shorts.

It seems like the game is the start of a bigger plan that Blizzard has in mind to make Overwatch this big new franchise. But you gotta have a good product to sell from the get go in order for that to happen, so for them to focus their priorities on making a good game first and focus on any story stuff later is honestly not a bad decision for Blizzard to make.

But it's being marketed as a story, especially with the last trailer for it and even in the gameplay points that there is some lore because if you have Tracer and Widowmaker in the same team they have dialog that points to them being enemies but they are on the same team? What would cause them to team up? Bottom line is they are showing trailers that points to there being a story and someone who just looks at the trailers would think there is a story, so why are they doing like this?

I'm fine with it because personally I don't think the game needs it. You can almost compare it to other moba's like League. No story mode but plenty of lore about the characters. There's already plenty of information and backstory about the characters and the game online and I'm sure Blizzard is going to add more. I wouldn't complain if they decided to add story campaigns for the characters in the future though.

It doesnt need one?Games that are focused solely on multiplayer arent necessarily made with the mindset of people wanting to play the game on their own. From what Ive seen it isnt exactly selling itself as a game that has its own story campaign to play, so Im not exactly pissed about it not having a story. However,with all the characters that theyve put into it, along with the shorts that they keep pushing out for it, I wouldnt be surprised if later down the road Overwatch ended up doing what Team Fortress 2 did and start having its own dedicated comics and shorts.It seems like the game is the start of a bigger plan that Blizzard has in mind to make Overwatch this big new franchise. But you gotta have a good product to sell from the get go in order for that to happen, so for them to focus their priorities on making a good game first and focus on any story stuff later is honestly not a bad decision for Blizzard to make.

You could say it doesn't need one, I would honestly say it doesn't need one if it wasn't for the 60$ price. 60$ just for a multiplayer game is harsh. I want them to add a storymode that way it would make the price much more worthwhile

You could say it doesn't need one, I would honestly say it doesn't need one if it wasn't for the 60$ price. 60$ just for a multiplayer game is harsh. I want them to add a storymode that way it would make the price much more worthwhile

The game is being sold for $39.99 in North America. You're mixing the standard game with the Origins edition.

Once the actual game launches, I think there will be a story mode compared to the beta.

Blizzard said there isn't going to be one, but maybe if they fan base wants one then they might add one later on but it won't be upon release.

The game is being sold for $39.99 in North America. You're mixing the standard game with the Origins edition.

It's $60 for ps4 and Xbox1, PC it's $40.

Mostly because Overwatch is meant to be solely a PvP multiplayer game.

Besides, when there's a story mode, there might have to be an actual progression system where you could customize characters and their abilities, which is pretty much against Overwatch's key concept of character-switching in the game. This is what I assume anyway :P

BUT I wouldn't say that an idea for a story mode is impossible though. They might consider an expansion or a spin-off type of game in the later future. Just not right now.

Edited by GGDude00

Mostly because Overwatch is meant to be solely a PvP multiplayer game.

Besides, when there's a story mode, there might have to be an actual progression system where you could customize characters and their abilities, which is pretty much against Overwatch's key concept of character-switching in the game.

BUT I wouldn't say that an idea for a story mode is impossible though. They might consider an expansion or a spin-off type of game in the later future. Just not right now.

There doesn't need to be a level system like that. Can do a story mode because there already bots in the game.

There doesn't need to be a level system like that. Can do a story mode because there already bots in the game.

True, but I'm just assuming things.

When compared to previous Blizzard games, it's easy to be confused as to why it has no story mode. They'd rather just promote the lore in cinematics, comics, etc. rather than doing a single player mode. Their focus for the game is entirely multiplayer based and it's clear they wanted a shooter of their own to be represented in the eSports scene.

I do think hope is not entirely lost on a single player mode. The demand for more story is there and if Blizzard have a good idea on how to make such a mode then they'll no doubt look into it. A good example I can think of is Hearthstone, that game launched originally with really only a practice mode for single player, but they then added Adventure Mode to the mix. Overwatch is getting a lot of buzz from the community and the cinematics in particular are getting praised. I'd say hang tight and eventually Blizzard might give a SP mode. Chances are there just isn't one available at launch and they'd rather just not say there is one.

Just remember it's the first game in a new series. A lot could come from this. Yeah it does seem weird that there's no story but maybe Blizzard is getting you hyped for a story and then they'll release new games that give fans what they want. Blizzard could end up doing a lot with Overwatch, so I say just sit back, enjoy this game, and get ready for what's to come.

Also just to add in, apparently all DLC in the future will be free so that would make up for the price :) 

But it's being marketed as a story, especially with the last trailer for it and even in the gameplay points that there is some lore because if you have Tracer and Widowmaker in the same team they have dialog that points to them being enemies but they are on the same team? What would cause them to team up? 

ALL OF THESE QUESTIONS AND MORE WILL BE ANSWERED IN OVERWATCH'S NEW DLC PACK/COMIC!

You see that?That kind of curiosity you have their is what Blizzard has in mind. With that kind of curiosity, they can sell you more products to help answer your questions and give them more money.

But as far as it being "marketed as a story" goes, thats not what I got from what its marketing.

Thats a fair point to make, but with multi-player games people are focused on how long they can play the game without getting bored of it. I mean I can play Smash 4 and Melee FOREVER because playing friends is just fun. If youd like more story thats fair but multi-player games are driven by good gameplay that doesnt get stale.