Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Hero of Winds

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - General Discussion

Breath of the Wild is Nintendo's most ambitious game in years. Not only is it a new Zelda, but it's massive and it breaks away from the conventions that made Zelda what it is today, and for that reason this title has huge promise. 

I think one of the coolest things about this game is that, in a way, it's going back to the idea of the original Zelda game. It's just far more massive and adds in features from all the other entries in the series. The original threw you into Hyrule with little direction, letting the player take Link wherever they wanted; this looks like it does the same. Obviously, it's going to have stronger story elements, but in terms of game progression, it's very similar. That's a great thing in my opinion. Definitely looking forward to playing this game next year!

I watched all of footage from this game from the Nintendo treehouse and I've got to say I'm kinda excited to play the game. The storyline so far looks interesting even though I still have no idea where it takes place in the timeline. The gameplay looks pretty interesting too. I'm honestly kinda nervous about gameplay because I may not like it, but I think i'll end up liking it at the end because I haven't even played the game yet. 

In all honestly I feel as though this game is a reboot just borrowing gameplay elements and familiar characters/landmarks and putting it in the game. I have a feeling that nintendo wants us to forget about the zelda timeline. I'm fine with that because the zelda timeline is really convoluted and the timeline could be holding the series from evolving. Can't wait to get this brand new zelda title next year. :)

Tbh, if I heard about all the news from someone else, idk how I would have reacted. But with seeing the game in action and seeing all of these new gameplay elements work well, I can definitely say I'm really excited for this, and I may even try grabbing those amiibo(s?) too, depending on what they do.

Although... the massive world is killer for my backlog. I'm still in the middle of Xenoblade X as it is. x.x

In all honestly I feel as though this game is a reboot just borrowing gameplay elements and familiar characters/landmarks and putting it in the game. I have a feeling that nintendo wants us to forget about the zelda timeline. I'm fine with that because the zelda timeline is really convoluted and the timeline could be holding the series from evolving. Can't wait to get this brand new zelda title next year. :)

Ehh, most of the gameplay elements are pretty new (ruuuuuunes), and some of the landmarks/locations are new as well (I don't remember there ever being a Mt. Hylia). Unless for gameplay you weren't talking strictly about Zelda.

But all that would still support the idea that it's a reboot xP I'm just not sure if I'd want them to ditch the old timeline entirely xDx

Tbh, if I heard about all the news from someone else, idk how I would have reacted. But with seeing the game in action and seeing all of these new gameplay elements work well, I can definitely say I'm really excited for this, and I may even try grabbing those amiibo(s?) too, depending on what they do.

Although... the massive world is killer for my backlog. I'm still in the middle of Xenoblade X as it is. x.x

Ehh, most of the gameplay elements are pretty new (ruuuuuunes), and some of the landmarks/locations are new as well (I don't remember there ever being a Mt. Hylia). Unless for gameplay you weren't talking strictly about Zelda.

But all that would still support the idea that it's a reboot xP I'm just not sure if I'd want them to ditch the old timeline entirely xDx

We've got about a year to whittle down our backlogs, at least. xD

what do you mean by that? Keep in mind that I am excited for the new zelda game, but as of right now, I don't think I'll like it until I play it 

Edited by Zeldablade7

what do you mean by that? 

Things like open-world/open-air and living off of the land and getting enemy weapons and things like that have been done in other games. It's just that most of them are new for the Zelda series.

So maybe they're not new new, but they're new to Zelda, I guess xP

Things like open-world/open-air and living off of the land and getting enemy weapons and things like that have been done in other games. It's just that most of them are new for the Zelda series.

So maybe they're not new new, but they're new to Zelda, I guess xP

oh, no wonder I was skeptical about the new gameplay in breath of the wild. I haven't played a lot of open world games that are like Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto whatever title.Not saying that I hate it or anything, but it's just so new and fresh to me that I don't even know if I'm going to like it or not, but since this zelda title will have more survival gameplay elements in it like minecraft and other survival games, this title should keep me on my toes gameplay wise :)

I didn't watch all the treehouse gameplay but from what I saw I feel like this Zelda could be my new favorite game,if exploring the open world and the towns never gets boring,if there's enough story and sidequests and if the dungeons are really fun to explore with cool boss fight I can easily see this game being better then Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time.Also THIS is how amiibo should be integrated in games,having wolf link as an optional companion is awesome,I didn't get the Wolf Link amiibo because I didn't care about the giant wallet is Twilight Princess HD,but now I'm definitly getting it.

My only consern is the soundtrack,Zelda games always have great music,it'd be a shame if the entire game only had ambiance music.

I didn't watch the whole thing (it was like 2-3 hours gameplay by the time FFXV's part was over in the SE Presents! No way I'm watching the whole thing!), but when I was looking, aside from the massive map, I was surprised by the gameplay; Link is a lot faster attacking than ever before, he has multiple weapons and armours with different stats! By the looks of it, this Zelda game is a lot more like an Action RPG game than the ones before it.

If this is the case then I'm going to expect 1-2 hour speedruns of this game. 

Also this looks interesting 

If you can go straight to the final boss... If the speedrun strat is just get to the boss, that would be pretty boring imo

As for the leak... why would anyone go through the trouble? If they're already at E3, they can just play the demo. It's not like it's the full game they're trying to get, so what's the use?

If you can go straight to the final boss... If the speedrun strat is just get to the boss, that would be pretty boring imo

As for the leak... why would anyone go through the trouble? If they're already at E3, they can just play the demo. It's not like it's the full game they're trying to get, so what's the use?

maybe because it has happened before with skyward sword i don't know

There has been a major increase in speculation after Aonuma mentioned that BotW really has a spot on the timeline. Many are making guesses, there's plenty to work with here. Some believe that it's in the Child Timeline because of the Wolf Link amiibo (which has no canonical purpose in BotW), but the biggest guesses are the Decline Timeline after the first 2 Zelda titles mostly because of the Twin Peaks in the distance that are from Zelda and then there are those that are guessing Adult Timeline because we have Koroks, Rock Salt can be found in the game and many other references to previous titles within the Adult Timeline. Now we could say it's the new Hyrule they formed after finding the new continent, but we have a Master Sword (banged up and rusted). Now I wanna say this is Hyrule after the Great Sea naturally drained out over the years. But I also wanna stick with New Hyrule. The Master Sword is the biggest speculation, as it can cancel out these ideas because it exists. However, it is broken, rusted, and hidden somewhere within Hyrule. In WW, Link sank the sword into Ganondorf's head, but we know that Ganon has since revived and is known as Calamity Ganon (according to articles, Aonuma says that this Link is in charge of keeping Calamity Ganon imprisoned). Ganon may have revived once the the sea disappeared and the rusted sword lost its power. Koroks are big point in keeping to the Adult Timeline. Many have tried to deny it because "koroks could have occurred at any time," but evidence from the Hyrule Historia itself says that Kokiri (and Zoras) made drastic changes through evolution to survive the flood. Koroks purposely exist as an evolution made to survive and adapt to the flooded world. This is where I find it hard to theorize otherwise. It's all just speculation right now, but most of the evidence in the game we've seen so far, at least points to the Adult Timeline.

Edit: One thing I feel should be pointed out is that, Ganondorf was also referenced as just Ganon in the Wind Waker. Most terms used in it to refer to him were simply the shorter, Ganon. But Ganon is supposed to be the pig beast form that Ganondorf undertakes. But regardless, within the Adult Timeline, even Ganondorf is just Ganon, so it's really hard to make speculation using just Ganon.

Edited by Hero of Winds

I hear the game won't have the same gamepad features Wind Waker HD and Twilight HD had because aparently the gamepad would disrupt the flow of the gameplay.That kinda sucks,I like playing Zelda with the gamepad,it made the games flow better in my opinion,I never though they'd get rid of it so soon.

I hear the game won't have the same gamepad features Wind Waker HD and Twilight HD had because aparently the gamepad would disrupt the flow of the gameplay.That kinda sucks,I like playing Zelda with the gamepad,it made the games flow better in my opinion,I never though they'd get rid of it so soon.

They didn't wanna use any gimmicks. I believe the NX won't have a console gimmick. That's actually a good thing imo.

They didn't wanna use any gimmicks. I believe the NX won't have a console gimmick. That's actually a good thing imo.

Yeah,maybe that means the NX won't use the gamepad

Yeah,maybe that means the NX won't use the gamepad

It won't. It's not a successor to the Wii U. The NX is it's own thing. But I believe they cut the gimmicks partial due to this and the fact that Miyamoto actually stepped back from this title and that gave Aonuma more freedom to actually break conventions.

here's an interesting video on where breath of the wild could take place in the zelda timeline

This guy went super in depth and I really like that. This is very likely in the Downfall Timeline. However, he argued that Koroks are forms the forest spirits have taken and can take at any time in any timeline. I have to disagree, as even after saying that he read through a major portion of the Hyrule Historia, he still missed the minor detailing that is within the book itself. It is read "Some of the people in the Era of the Great Sea underwent drastic changes in form during the tumultuous eras of the past. The Kokiri now appear plantlike, having transformed into the Korok tribe, who spread greenery around the world with the spirit known as the Deku Tree. The Zora tribe, who now bear birdlike beaks, have transformed into the Rito. They grow their wings upon being blessed with one of the spirit Valoo's scales."  It literally states that these changes were not only made for the Great Sea, but also that they were made to Kokiri and Zora. Both tribes transformed (or evolved). Ignoring this for the whole forest spirits can take on any form bit is like telling me that the Zora can take on whatever form they want. It's basically like saying the Rito bird tribe is just another form of "water spirits." 

I don't believe him to be wrong in this theory, but Koroks are definitely an evolution made to survive the flood and they alone throw off any theory regardless of which timeline you choose to place it in.

This guy went super in depth and I really like that. This is very likely in the Downfall Timeline. However, he argued that Koroks are forms the forest spirits have taken and can take at any time in any timeline. I have to disagree, as even after saying that he read through a major portion of the Hyrule Historia, he still missed the minor detailing that is within the book itself. It is read "Some of the people in the Era of the Great Sea underwent drastic changes in form during the tumultuous eras of the past. The Kokiri now appear plantlike, having transformed into the Korok tribe, who spread greenery around the world with the spirit known as the Deku Tree. The Zora tribe, who now bear birdlike beaks, have transformed into the Rito. They grow their wings upon being blessed with one of the spirit Valoo's scales."  It literally states that these changes were not only made for the Great Sea, but also that they were made to Kokiri and Zora. Both tribes transformed (or evolved). Ignoring this for the whole forest spirits can take on any form bit is like telling me that the Zora can take on whatever form they want. It's basically like saying the Rito bird tribe is just another form of "water spirits." 

I don't believe him to be wrong in this theory, but Koroks are definitely an evolution made to survive the flood and they alone throw off any theory regardless of which timeline you choose to place it in.

I think I'm going to have to agree with you because he's denying that the Koroks didn't evolve in order to survive the great flood and made up a theory that they can change their forms whenever they wanted too. Since we can't deny what I said earlier, it's actually pretty likely that breath of the wild could take place after the wind waker, but in a timeline split in which Ganondorf in the wind waker manages to get his wish granted which brings the old hyrule back. The following video can elaborate in it more 

Edited by Zeldablade7

I think I'm going to have to agree with you because he's denying that the Koroks didn't evolve in order to survive the great flood and made up a theory that they can change their forms whenever they wanted too. Since we can't deny what I said earlier, it's actually pretty likely that breath of the wild could take place after the wind waker, but in a timeline split in which Ganondorf in the wind waker manages to get his wish granted which brings the old hyrule back. The following video can elaborate in it more 

A second timeline split is very likely. The timeline within the Legend of Zelda is full of paradoxes itself. But what if it were that the Great Sea actually disappeared? What if there was a massive drought that brought about the land of Hyrule once more and in that time they were able to travel back and discover a land of ruin? If anything, this Shiekah technnology could have existed during the time Ganondorf returned and brought ruin to the land of Hyrule. Not everything adds up though as the Master Sword has been placed in a pedestal in a grove similar to the one in ALttP. But I still have a feeling that it could be Adult Timeline regardless of what way it ends up going in.