Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Katie Armstrong

Famitsu Interviews series Director Tetsuya Nomura about Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, Discusses Progress on English Recording

Kingdom Hearts series director Tetsuya Nomura recently sat down with Famitsu to give an interview on Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, focusing on specific details in each of the three portions of the collection. Though the interview covered many of the same topics as the earlier Dengeki interview, Famitsu's team managed to pose some interesting questions, and received equally interesting responses.

Here is a summary of each of Nomura's responses in the interview. A full translation will be added as soon as possible.

In regards to Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep 0.2 -A Fragmentary Passage-:
  • Nomura remarked on the ability for the product to be easily altered with Unreal Engine 4, especially in regards to lighting, as previously mentioned in Dengeki.
  • What is in the demo will be in the retail version of the game. He wanted to give the players something to explore in the demo, someplace where they would have to get up high to get a lay of the land before proceeding. Nomura says KH3 will have a similar feel, where free-running to a high place and scoping out the map will be necessary. 
  • Nomura states that time has stopped in this place only, and that moving to different locations will result in different 'effects'.
  • As in the Dengeki article, Nomura explains the battle system, and also says that the concept of Command Styles has been transferred to Keyblade Transformations in Kingdom Hearts III.
  • Nomura calls the Heartless Swarm a 'Devils Wave', mentions they've been present since the first KH3 trailer, and that they're still not at full power.
  • Aqua will only gain strength through leveling up--there are no new Keyblades for her to obtain. (Famitsu's interviewer hypothesizes that this is why the Command Styles remain in 0.2, when they won't really be present in KH3, where you can change Keyblades. Nomura doesn't remark on this point one way or another.)
  • When discussing the length of Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep 0.2 -A Fragmentary Passage-, Nomura says that it will feature a lot of cutscenes.
  • The intended play order is Dream Drop Distance, then -A Fragmentary Passage-, then Kingdom Hearts III.
  • Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep 0.2 -A Fragmentary Passage- is not exactly scrapped content from Kingdom Hearts III. It was something he felt the need to make, but Nomura didn't want to bog down the pace of storytelling in KH3 with backstory, so he separated it out and created a separate installment around it.
  • Kingdom Hearts III will have a short prelude before the game really starts to make sure everyone is caught up.
In regards to Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD:
  • Nomura mentions the Catanuki, explaining it was something the Osaka team really wanted to add to the game. He also discusses PS4 trophies, 60fps, and the difficulties in transitioning to a game without two screens to work with. He mentions the 'spirit' of developing for the unique properties of the 3DS continues, in now developing for the unique properties of the PS4.
In regards to Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover:
  • Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover is being made with the same tech as Kingdom Hearts III.
  • Famitsu asked directly if the Black Coat is the Foreteller's Master. Nomura says yes! He is a 'unique glue' between them, and he apparently has nicknames for each of the Foretellers.
  • Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ has recently hit 4 million downloads, and after the North American release, there was a very strong demand to release in the EU. He is happy for this chapter of Kingdom Hearts to be brought to fans all over the world.
  • Nomura also hints that the Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ story will soon branch from the Kingdom Hearts χ [chi] story. Kingdom Hearts χ [chi] is complete, but Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ can be considered 'Season 2'.
  • Nomura anticipates that Kingdom Hearts III may hit Japan slightly earlier than the rest of the world, but it will be nearly simultaneous. 
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue is in the final stages of production, with English recording currently being mastered and timed. He also told fans to please be patient and anticipate this winter for new Kingdom Hearts III information, and focus on Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue for now.
  • Next year is the 15th anniversary of Kingdom Hearts, and also the 30th anniversary of Final Fantasy; he told fans to anticipate a lot of features next year relating to those series.

Which of these answers has you most intrigued? Let us know in the comments!

This post has been promoted to an article

• Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover is being made with the same tech as Kingdom Hearts III.

Back cover looked amazing visually so if this is what we can expect from cutscenes in KH3...damn.

• Nomura anticipates that Kingdom Hearts III may hit Japan slightly earlier than the rest of the world, but it will be nearly simultaneous. 

I don't know how to feel about this...

• What is in the demo will be in the retail version of the game. He wanted to give the players something to explore in the demo, someplace where they would have to get up high to get a lay of the land before proceeding. Nomura says KH3 will have a similar feel, where free-running to a high place and scoping out the map will be necessary. 

Now this sounds amazing.

• Next year is the 15th anniversary of Kingdom Hearts, and also the 30th anniversary of Final Fantasy; he told fans to anticipate a lot of features next year relating to those series.

So that means something BIG will happen in 2017 for Kingdom Hearts. So Hyped.

Edited by MarieltheKeybasHGirl

DUDE LITERALLY SAYS THE BLACK COAT GUY IS THE MASTER OF THE FORETLLERS AND HE HAS NICKNAMES FOR THEM????? I CAN'T OH MY GOD. STILL CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR'S 15TH ANNIVERSARY! @ u @

Yup--when they asked 'Is the man in the black coat the Foretellers' master?' he replied with a straight 'Sou desu'. I was shocked! lol

Yup--when they asked 'Is the man in the black coat the Foretellers' master?' he replied with a straight 'Sou desu'. I was shocked! lol

Tbh I thought he would say something like "nah not possible :D!" XDDD

Wow. Nomura dropping some bombs over here. Mark me down as very intrigued. I'm eagerly anticipating the release of 2.8, and how the story will continue to develop in 'season 2' of Unchained X.

I knew it! The guy in the black coat is the Master of Masters (Should be called the Grandmaster honestly). I cannot wait for Kingdom Hearts Chi (Back Cover) to show the mysteries surrounding the keyblade war, the origins of xehanort's keyblade and why it is special, the foretellers goals and motivations, the mysterious sixth apprentice, the traitor (if there is one), the Master of Masters purpose and other details which connects to the story of Kingdom Hearts 3.

So,, the intended play order is 3D》0.2》KH3. Okay. But are we supposed to watch BC before or after 0.2?

I still wish he'd give us an hour count for 0.2.

I'm honestly suprised Aqua can level up given how powerful her abilities are. I thought she'd be at lv 99 just for the heck if it.

I know it won't happen, but I really want a 2.8 demo now. Even if it were just the 3 demos that where at E3 (Sora in Traverse Town, Riku in Le Cité des Cloches, and Aqua in the "Castle of Nightmares" I'd be happy.

But, as the Master of Masters would say, "Nah, not possible"

Black coat guy being the Master of Masters was already stated in an interview last year, but somehow nobody caught on to it. So yes, it seems like he has more malevolent intentions in mind, as I suspected.

Hmm so if the black coat guy is the Master of Masters and he's given nicknames to each of the Foretellers, are those nicknames the names we know them by? The fact that they are each named after the seven deadly sins seems to indicate nicknames rather than real names to me. Also if that's true could it be that he gave them those names to try and make them see darkness within themselves that wasn't really there? I mean Ava doesn't seem particularly greedy to me and Ira hasn't shown much wrath from what we've seen of him so far. Could it all be a ploy?

This is very good and intriguing and all but... what does "slightly before in japan" mean?... If it's 2/3 days or even a week it would be fine... but more... please Nomura no... that "nearly simultaneous" reassures me a bit at least :P

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I CALLED IT! I KNEW MR. HOODED GUY WAS THE MASTER OF MASTERS! I think Nomura intentionally spoiled the Master because his status is revealed early on.

But Nomura-san, you better give a simultaneous worldwide release for KH3, no Japan preference.

Famitsu asked directly if the Black Coat is the Foreteller's Master. Nomura says yes! He is a 'unique glue' between them, and he apparently has nicknames for each of the Foretellers.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?!?!? I was so sure he was the 6th apprentice

Kingdom Hearts χ [chi] is complete

this makes me sad

so in the end our player will die in the War and will never see Ephemera and Skuld again : 

''but it will be nearly simultaneous''

''japan prefernce hurr huur''

*facepalms*

Idjets, listen. What he means is there maybe be a day or two or even just a couple hours difference. Whatever. That is not a big deal.

''but it will be nearly simultaneous''

''japan prefernce hurr huur''

*facepalms*

Idjets, listen. What he means is there maybe be a day or two or even just a couple hours difference. Whatever. That is not a big deal.

Yeah, seeing as how it'll probably be on a specific day, since Japan technically hits that day first, they'll get it like a day before, so I'm not too worried about that.

I'm hoping for the release date being next year.  REALLY hopping for that!

The Master of Masters gave upon five of his six apprentices one copy of the tome of prophecies... He has an eye that foresights the future... maybe this Black Coat Master never gave a copy to his sixth apprentice since maybe he wasn´t born yet, though he knew it would exist one day... and then Xehanort came to exist as the sixth apprentice! This would explain why he has such knowledge and foresight! He has one copy of the tome! But this is all conjuction... Nomura you! Why you doing this to us!? :P

He flats out says that the black coat guy is the master of masters what the hell?! Where is the sixth person then!!!

My question exactly! :/