Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Spoilers for the end of Kingdom Hearts 1 and Dream Drop Distance (just in case someone reading this hasn't finished either of those games) and for Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage- (if you haven't watched the E3 2016 demo):

At the end of Dream Drop Distance, we see Master Xehanort finally return.  This was made possible by the destruction of his Heartless, Ansem, and Nobody, Xemnas.  However, many people were confused, because since Terra-Xehanort was the one who became the Heartless and the Nobody, shouldn't he be the one who returned?

This left the state of Terra a mystery, and when the official E3 2016 trailer for Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue was released, this mystery deepened even more, as we saw a glimpse of Terra approaching Aqua in the Realm of Darkness.  Now, since then, we learned that this Terra was indeed just an illusion.  However, we still don't know for sure where Terra is.

I personally think that Terra is still a vessel for Master Xehanort and is now a member of the thirteen seekers of darkness.  When King Mickey listed off all of the Keyblade wielders he knows of, Master Xehanort told him that Sora and another on his list belonged to him, which put him three guardians of light short.  Who was the other one that Master Xehanort has in his possession?  I think the obvious answer is Terra.

However, while I think this is the true state of Terra right now, there is a strong possibility that I am wrong.  After all, we don't know any of the fates of any of the Birth by Sleep trio for sure.  For all we know, Master Xehanort may have been talking about either Aqua or Ventus as being in his possession.  Terra-Xehanort was looking for the Chamber of Waking after all.  We never found out why he was.  Maybe he was searching for another vessel there, and maybe he did end up finding the Chamber of Waking, which means that Ventus could be one of Master Xehanort's vessels.

That is the other most likely explanation for who Master Xehanort has is his possession as one of his vessels, in my opinion.  I don't think that Master Xehanort has Aqua, but we won't know for sure until all of the Birth by Sleep trio's fates are revealed to us.  However, if Terra is no longer one of Master Xehanort's vessels, where is he?

I think the answer would be that Terra is in the Realm of Darkness.  Just because the Terra that Aqua saw in the Realm of Darkness turned out to be an illusion doesn't mean that Terra isn't in the Realm of Darkness or that Aqua won't eventually meet him there.  But if Terra is in the Realm of Darkness, how did he get there?  I think the answer to this would be Master Eraqus.

Terra hinted that Master Eraqus was with him in the secret ending to Birth by Sleep.  Maybe Master Eraqus gave Terra the strength to fight back against Master Xehanort's control.  Maybe Terra banished Master Xehanort from his heart, which, as we saw in the Final Episode of Birth by Sleep, when Master Xehanort tried to banish Terra from his heart, ended up causing Terra to fall into the Realm of Darkness.

However, I think there is one other explanation as to how Terra could actually be in the Realm of Darkness and still be in Master Xehanort's control, which would connect back to my original theory.  I think that the answer in this case would be that Terra was banished by Master Xehanort to the Realm of Darkness, just like Riku was banished to the Realm of Darkness by Ansem in Kingdom Hearts 1.  In Kingdom Hearts 1, Ansem remained in possession of Riku's body, while Riku's heart was trapped in the Realm of Darkness.  This would mean that Terra probably does not have his body, but is just a heart, which would also mean that Master Xehanort is probably still in possession of Terra's body.  If this is true, could we see Terra be both a guardian of light and a seeker of darkness in Kingdom Hearts III?  That would certainly make for an interesting boss battle.

What do you guys think?  Did anything I said make any sense?  Where do you think Terra is right now?  Do you think Terra will be a guardian of light, a seeker of darkness, both, or even neither?  Please let me know your thoughts.

Edited by Dagesh Lene

The way I see it the most likely answer is that Master Xehanort's heart has engulfed Terra's heart (as he hinted it would), giving him  full control of Terra's body and appearance (The heart shapes the vessel).

My personal theory is that Terra exists, on some level, inside of Xemnas. However, he's sealed off due to Xehanort's influence. KHIII will deal with them purging Xehanort's influence and the Xemnas we know will instead become the 'new' Terra, with brown hair and blue eyes. He'll be one of the seven guardians. In a way, his permanently changed appearance will parallel that of when Riku took on Ansem's form in KHII, which makes sense as Terra is the extreme form of what could have happened to Riku. 
Posted Image
Honestly I think that was a lot more possible before DDD's plot change. However the problem lies within the fact that Xemnas was also growing a heart. This means that even if Terra did manage to obtain some level of control, it would be wrested away by Xemnas' new heart. As Xemnas was under the full influence of Xehanort it seems unlikely that Terra was ever in control.
Edited by Robbie the Wise

The way I see it the most likely answer is that Master Xehanort's heart has engulfed Terra's heart (as he hinted it would), giving him  full control of Terra's body and appearance (The heart shapes the vessel).

I never thought of that!  That's a really good theory!

Spoilers for the end of Kingdom Hearts 1 (just in case there is someone reading this who never finished the game):

Also, we saw Ansem completely change the appearance of Riku's body in Kingdom Hearts 1, so that may be even further proof of this theory.

My personal theory is that Terra exists, on some level, inside of Xemnas. However, he's sealed off due to Xehanort's influence. KHIII will deal with them purging Xehanort's influence and the Xemnas we know will instead become the 'new' Terra, with brown hair and blue eyes. He'll be one of the seven guardians. In a way, his permanently changed appearance will parallel that of when Riku took on Ansem's form in KHII, which makes sense as Terra is the extreme form of what could have happened to Riku. 

Posted Image

I just hope we see a much older Terra with long hair.

C'mon let's be real, Aqua is in the RoD and Ventus is still sleeping in CO (confirmed by DDD ending).

Obviously MX was talking about Terra when he said he had another person on his side

I don't know why but it is implied that for some reason when Terranort's heart(Ansem) and nobody(Xemnas) were destroyed Terranort didn't return as a single being, but instead the two person who formed him, MX and Terra, returned as separate beings (and this actually goes in Terra's favour)

However I believe that since the problem of oldness is still there for MX he's going to put again his heart into Terra's body

Edited by MasterLorX

Honestly I think that was a lot more possible before DDD's plot change. However the problem lies within the fact that Xemnas was also growing a heart. This means that even if Terra did manage to obtain some level of control, it would be wrested away by Xemnas' new heart. As Xemnas was under the full influence of Xehanort it seems unlikely that Terra was ever in control.

He's not in control and never was, however his presence inside of Xemnas cannot be denied as seen in the KHII Final Mix scene where we have Xemnas going to the Chamber of Repose and speaking to Aqua's armor or really wanting to find the Chamber of Waking in Castle Oblivion during 358/2 Days. Terra is in there in some form.

He's not in control and never was, however his presence inside of Xemnas cannot be denied as seen in the KHII Final Mix scene where we have Xemnas going to the Chamber of Repose and speaking to Aqua's armor or really wanting to find the Chamber of Waking in Castle Oblivion during 358/2 Days. Terra is in there in some form.

Those instances don't really confirm his presence. Xemnas is the shared Nobody of Terra and Xehanort, as such he has access to Terra's and Master Xehanort's. So it makes sense for him to know whose armor that belonged too, and possibly manipulate Aqua(Assuming he was actually speaking to her). You could also argue that Xemnas was looking for Ventus to use as a vessel, especially since that was Xemnas' mission. Like I said pre DDD I would very much agree with you. It's just the current retcons make it hard.

Edited by Robbie the Wise

Those instances don't really confirm his presence. Xemnas is the shared Nobody of Terra and Xehanort, as such he has access to Terra's and Master Xehanort's. So it makes sense for him to know whose armor that belonged too, and possibly manipulate Aqua(Assuming he was actually speaking to her). You could also argue that Xemnas was looking for Ventus to use as a vessel, especially since that was Xemnas' mission. Like I said pre DDD I would very much agree with you. It's just the current retcons make it hard.

You're correct that they don't confirm his presence, they imply it. Which is almost exactly the same thing. There's no beneficial reason for Xehanort to want to talk to Aqua's armor in the same way that he wishes to find Ventus's body, it makes sense that he's getting faint feedback from Terra's heart that beckons him to speak to it, even if nothing is actually happening.

However, I could also point to DDD and say that nothing in that game indicated that Xemnas was growing a heart at all. All Xemnas said was that Nobodies can grow hearts, but he never specified himself. It's entirely possible that every moment of his in KHII where he couldn't 'feel' was all an act and he's had Terra's heart in him all along, merely subjugated by Xehanort's influence. Given the Blank Points scene inside of Terra-Xehanort between the two of them, I can't see Square making it so that Terra's heart went somewhere else. It's always been inside of his body, locked away. That's what I think, anyway.

Edited by Kaweebo

You're correct that they don't confirm his presence, they imply it. Which is almost exactly the same thing. There's no beneficial reason for Xehanort to want to talk to Aqua's armor, it makes sense that he's getting faint feedback from Terra's heart that beckons him to speak to it, even if nothing is actually happening.

However, I could also point to DDD and say that nothing in that game indicated that Xemnas was growing a heart at all. All Xemnas said was that Nobodies can grow hearts, but he never specified himself. It's entirely possible that every moment of his in KHII where he couldn't 'feel' was all an act and he's had Terra's heart in him all along, merely subjugated by Xehanort's influence. Given the Blank Points scene inside of Terra-Xehanort between the two of them, I can't see Square making it so that Terra's heart went somewhere else. It's always been inside of his body, locked away. That's what I think, anyway.

Xemnas did say exactly that though. "There may be variances in our dispositions. But a number us showed unquestionable signs of a burgeoning replacement." He definitely implied that each of them had started growing hearts, albeit some were much farther then other's. He even confirmed it when Sora asked if they all had hearts. The whole point of creating Nobodies were to create empty vessels, have them abandon their sense of self, then fill them with the Xehanort identity. That's why Xemnas pushed so hard for the Organization members to abandon their old identities. Also it's never been confirmed but I would imagine that that blank points scene took place during the end of BBS. Again, I'm not saying that Terra is completely gone it's just his ability to influence has been consumed by Xehanort.

Xemnas did say exactly that though. "There may be variances in our dispositions. But a number us showed unquestionable signs of a burgeoning replacement." He definitely implied that each of them had started growing hearts, albeit some were much farther then other's. He even confirmed it when Sora asked if they all had hearts. The whole point of creating Nobodies were to create empty vessels, have them abandon their sense of self, then fill them with the Xehanort identity. That's why Xemnas pushed so hard for the Organization members to abandon their old identities. Also it's never been confirmed but I would imagine that that blank points scene took place during the end of BBS. Again, I'm not saying that Terra is completely gone it's just his ability to influence has been consumed by Xehanort.

Keyword: Us. As in the Organization of Nobodies in general. Not him specifically. He's speaking in a collective sense and not even completely since he only says a 'number' of them. ie. not every single one of them. Such as Xigbar and Saix, who are both growing a piece of Xehanort inside of them. Never once in his entire speech did he deliberately say he, himself, was growing a heart. Even then, It's obvious that he has a piece of Xehanort inside of him by virtue of being under Xehanort's influence. My point wasn't that he wasn't growing a heart, anyway, merely that that doesn't disprove the existence of Terra within him.

It doesn't really matter when the scene between MX and Terra's hearts takes place, they made it a point to emphasize that Terra is still active in some way. Regardless of Xehanort making it so that he stays in control, Terra's heart isn't gone. Where Xehanort's heart became Ansem, Seeker of Darkness; Terra's remained inside of his body, with a sliver of Xehanort remaining to keep his control. 

Edited by Kaweebo

Keyword: Us. As in the Organization of Nobodies in general. Not him specifically. He's speaking in a collective sense and not even completely since he only says a 'number' of them. ie. not every single one of them. Such as Xigbar and Saix, who are both growing a piece of Xehanort inside of them. Never once in his entire speech did he deliberately say he, himself, was growing a heart. Even then, It's obvious that he has a piece of Xehanort inside of him by virtue of being under Xehanort's influence. My point wasn't that he wasn't growing a heart, anyway, merely that that doesn't disprove the existence of Terra within him.

It doesn't really matter when the scene between MX and Terra's hearts takes place, they made it a point to emphasize that Terra is still active in some way. Regardless of Xehanort making it so that he stays in control, Terra's heart isn't gone. Where Xehanort's heart became Ansem, Seeker of Darkness; Terra's remained inside of his body, with a sliver of Xehanort remaining to keep his control. 

Context would suggest that us, referring to the collective group, would not exclude Xemnas. He specifically says that there were variances in each of their growth and that some were much farther then others. Sora straight up asked if the Organization members had hearts and Xemnas responded yes. Also, Xehanort and Terra's hearts were mingled together it's not like Ven and Sora where the two are independent of each other. Nomura even said over time Xehanort's heart would slowly consume Terra's.  At any rate I digress, I think we're just misunderstanding each other. I'm not arguing that Terra has no shred of presence within Xehanort's forms, he still there somewhere under Xehanort's control. Just that Xehanort's is the one that is in control, and that those moments that seem like they were Terra before, have been changed to been Xehanort. 

I'm not arguing that Terra has no shred of presence within Xehanort's forms, he still there somewhere under Xehanort's control. Just that Xehanort's is the one that is in control, and that those moments that seem like they were Terra before, have been changed to been Xehanort. 

I agree with all of that except for the idea that DDD retconned Terra's influence in some form. I stand by that there is no real reason Xehanort would ever speak to Aqua's armor without the presence of Terra. Not that Terra is in control, but that Xemnas is hearing things from two lives. 

Edited by Kaweebo

I agree with all of that except for the idea that DDD retconned Terra's influence in some form. I stand by that there is no real reason Xehanort would ever speak to Aqua's armor without the presence of Terra. Not that Terra is in control, but that Xemnas is hearing things from two lives. 

I'd argue the opposite. Xehanort was obviously looking for vessels, who better then Ventus, the empty husk. What a better source of info, on how to find Ventus, then Aqua. It's not like Aqua knew that Xehanort was in there. As far as she knew it would have been Terra she was talking to. 

I'd argue the opposite. Xehanort was obviously looking for vessels, who better then Ventus, the empty husk. What a better source of info, on how to find Ventus, then Aqua. It's not like Aqua knew that Xehanort was in there. As far as she knew it would have been Terra she was talking to. 

But as far as we know, and I doubt 0.2 will confirm this (although I won't say it won't happen) there is no proof that Xemnas is actually communicating with her at all. For all we know, he's talking to himself and thinks he hears her. It's obvious from his demeanor in KHII that he's not all there in the head as he acts very strangely even as far as Nobodies go, it makes perfect sense for him to be hearing the call of two people. His master personality is Xehanort but somewhere deep within him, Terra lives and is reaching out in any way he can, even if it's twisted to serve the others' goal.

I say that it's the Terra side that is pushing him to want to reconnect with his old friends and the Xehanort side that wants to find his friends and use them for the ultimate plan. However the voice is so faint that even Xemnas is unaware it's even there.

Edited by Kaweebo

But as far as we know, and I doubt 0.2 will confirm this (although I won't say it won't happen) there is no proof that Xemnas is actually communicating with her at all. For all we know, he's talking to himself and thinks he hears her. It's obvious from his demeanor in KHII that he's not all there in the head as he acts very strangely even as far as Nobodies go, it makes perfect sense for him to be hearing the call of two people. His master personality is Xehanort but somewhere deep within him, Terra lives and is reaching out in any way he can, even if it's twisted to serve the others' goal.

I say that it's the Terra side that is pushing him to want to reconnect with his old friends and the Xehanort side that wants to find his friends and use them for the ultimate plan. However the voice is so faint that even Xemnas is unaware it's even there.

Well I'm not dismissive of what you're saying, like I said before there is merit there. I just find that find that in the post DDD narative, there is not a whole lot of wiggle room for it to be the actual case. 

Wow, this is quite the enticing and interesting topic!  Terra's fate is sad indeed, and the fact that his body has been seemingly taken over by Xehanort doesn't help matters either!

And well, as for why Xehanort appeared when Ansem and Xemans were slain instead of Terranort, it's probably because, as Robbie said, the heart shapes the vessel, and given all the time that passed, Terra's constant struggle with Xehanort must have failed at some point, and when that happened, Xehanort took complete control, and then molded Terra's heart, so that when we see him in DDD, he looks like his old self, while having the vitality and strength of Terra's heart, ya know?  Terranort himself is probably a vessel though, since all the vessels are from different points in time, ya know?  While Xehanort has Terra's body in his possession, that also means that Terranort from the past can manifest himself, ya know?  Yeah, even with the knowledge we have of the series, things can get confusing sometimes! xD

But yeah, his body's definitely there, but it's influenced completely by Xehanort!  I always knew that Terra in 0.2 was an illusion.  Kind of messed up, too, since Aqua's losing her mind, the poor dear! D:

But yeah, what will happen to Terra's body and heart remains a mystery, but I'm sure Kingdom Hearts III will help clear things up! Heck, Nomura himself said that Aqua will find a possible way to save both Terra and Ventus in 0.2, so there's that as well!

But yeah, this is all very interesting!

Xemnas and Ansem are technically not Xehanort's Nobody and Heartless, but are actually Terra's, since they came from Terranort. Xemnas is what Terra would have looked like if he grew older and remained himself, albeit with brown hair and blue eyes of course. We know that Terra has had a good amount of influence on Xemnas as he refers to Ventus and Aqua as "friends" and is the sole reason why he sent members to CO so they could retrieve Ventus. As for what happened to him, we won't know until KHIII.

As for what happened to him, we won't know until KHIII.

In the meantime, I just can't see Blank Points giving Terra all that Riku-like character-development + Eraqus's Heart for backup if he was just going to be chumped regardless -- too anticlimactic and pointless -- especially given Nomura's occasional insistence on bringing that part up.

Edited by Alan Smithee

Xemnas and Ansem are technically not Xehanort's Nobody and Heartless, but are actually Terra's, since they came from Terranort. Xemnas is what Terra would have looked like if he grew older and remained himself, albeit with brown hair and blue eyes of course. We know that Terra has had a good amount of influence on Xemnas as he refers to Ventus and Aqua as "friends" and is the sole reason why he sent members to CO so they could retrieve Ventus. As for what happened to him, we won't know until KHIII.

You're right.  Xemnas and Ansem are really Terra's.  Xehanort is just possessing his heart, changing their appearance, the same as Ventus to Sora (but Ventus doesn't take control).  If Xehanort stops possessing Terra, then Ansem and Xemnas would no longer have yellow eyes, white hair, and pointy ears.  I don't know if they would still be evil though, since Xemnas grew his own heart.  OR Xemnas grew Terra heart back, but being controlled by MX, so Xemnas' heart could be good.

Edited by BlazingSoul

In Dream Drop Distance, Master Xehanort told Mickey that he Use two of Mickey's list (Himself, Aqua, Ventus, Terra Sora and Riku). Sora is one of them. Mickey and Riku are already there, Ven is still sleeping in Castle Oblivion and I don't believe Aqua could be a vessel.

That only leaves Terra.

Isn't it possible that one of the hooded guys was Terra?