Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Jake

Tai Yasue discusses Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A Fragmentary Passage- with Famitsu

With new gameplay shown at E3 2016, allowing players to go hands on with Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, Tai Yasue, co-director of the Kingdom Hearts series, sat down with Famitsu to discuss the new gameplay mechanics on Kingdom Hearts 0.2 -A Fragmentary Passage-, the flow of the game, the controls, the lighting/graphics, and more on how Unreal Engine 4 has made developing Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A Fragmentary Passage- easy for the team. You can read the main highlights of the interview below.

[*]The demo was very popular, players saying the gameplay was easy and the tempo was good, and the visuals were stunning.

[*]The appearance of Kingdom Hearts 0.2 has significantly changed from past games of the series due to Unreal Engine 4

[*]It was difficult trying to program a fantasy based realism for the game.

[*]You can use Blizzard spells to activate Flowmotion.

[*]AI has improved, such as Heartless moving differently on different terrain.

[*]'Devils Wave' (The Heartless boss in 0.2 described by Nomura) has a special reflection effect in their eyes

[*]Maps have changed a lot with Birth by Sleep 0.2 and that's something you'll see in Kingdom Hearts III as well. For example, Aqua having to fight on a slope in the demo.

[*]Tai Yasue comments how interesting it is to play in a Disney world that has sunken into Darkness

We will have the full interview translated as soon as possible.

Even though not much is new discussed by Tai Yasue, it's still great to hear about the flow of the game and what we can expect in the gameplay aspect for Kingdom Hearts III.

Are you excited for the release of Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue? Would you like to play the demo on the PlayStation store? Let us know in the comments below!

Click here to view the article

A Playstation Store demo would get alot of people interested so let's hope they go with it and decide to release it to the public soon! Even if it was literally 10 min tops, I'd replay the hell out of it.

The appearance has changed but not for the better in regard to character models. As it is now, I prefer the Luminous engine over UE4 because it looked so much more like a graphically improved Kingdom Hearts and not like expressionless, inflated plastic dolls. I'd even prefer the look of all previous games to that of UE4 if the models aren't getting better because even if the worlds look great, the characters have to fit into this too. And so far, they don't.I couldn't even feel anything for Aqua because Terra's model made me cringe. x.x It's been ages since I last saw such a terrible character model in a fairly big title that was this close to being released...Even the stunning visuals apart from that can't really distract from that because the characters are the ones who provide the story and the emotions. óo

The appearance has changed but not for the better in regard to character models. As it is now, I prefer the Luminous engine over UE4 because it looked so much more like a graphically improved Kingdom Hearts and not like expressionless, inflated plastic dolls. I'd even prefer the look of all previous games to that of UE4 if the models aren't getting better because even if the worlds look great, the characters have to fit into this too. And so far, they don't.I couldn't even feel anything for Aqua because Terra's model made me cringe. x.x It's been ages since I last saw such a terrible character model in a fairly big title that was this close to being released...Even the stunning visuals apart from that can't really distract from that because the characters are the ones who provide the story and the emotions. óo

The problem isn't the models. It's the lighting.

Some of it, yes. The lighting does have something to do with some of the problems but the models are also not the best. For example, look at Terra's face, it does look broader, less sharp and his eyes are rather lifeless and the form is flat and lacks detail. Lips and nose are also a bit weird.Aqua's shoulders appear a little awkward and her mouth looks also like a plastic doll.Quite a bit can be pushed on the lighting, I agree with you, but when it comes to shape or form of something, it's not only the lighting's fault but also the model's.

Some of it, yes. The lighting does have something to do with some of the problems but the models are also not the best. For example, look at Terra's face, it does look broader, less sharp and his eyes are rather lifeless and the form is flat and lacks detail. Lips and nose are also a bit weird. Aqua's shoulders appear a little awkward and her mouth looks also like a plastic doll. Quite a bit can be pushed on the lighting, I agree with you, but when it comes to shape or form of something, it's not only the lighting's fault but also the model's.

He was on screen for like 2 seconds, They probably didn't put much effort into it because of that. KH3 will probably be better because they'll likly tweak the models between now and release. I'm bettng this Terra model isn't the final version.

As for Aqua, Well for the sake of comparison 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image