Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

So I watched a pretty old video by joshscorcher on "Top 10 Worst KH Bosses" and it was a pretty bad list imo; his explanations were subpar and felt more like complaints and salt from being unable to beat a boss (quote from the video "I HATE how [Demyx] keeps pelting me with attacks that I CAN'T COUNTER!"), and it really that informative. However it did get me thinking; KH has a bunch of awesome bosses (I'm looking at you, Mr. Zebra Xemnas), but it also had its fair share of bad bosses (as to be expected from every game series). So yah, here's my list (from least worst to worst worst). 

1. Data Xigbar (KH2) - Honestly just a not very well designed fight in general. His bullets are so fast that it is pretty much impossible to react to them, unless you 100% understand his every pattern. Even then, you'll most likely have to spam Reflect to survive. It has redeeming qualities though; it's still a doable fight, and it's nowhere near as unfair as some of the later bosses you'll see on this list.

2. Ursula 2 (KH1) - There is lightning everywhere, and they strike down insanely rapidly. You can at most get off two hits of your combo before having to move to avoid the lightning. Her other attacks are avoidable, but the main downfall of this fight was the lightning. Using a finisher would only result in finisher lag, where you cannot move in that instant and forces you to get hit by the lightning. It's honestly just a horribly designed fight overall.

3. Chernabog (DDD) - Underwhelming and kind of pathetic. I remember in KH1 when we fought Chernabog; it was difficult fight, but hell yeah it was intense and epic.  This...does a lot less. Awesome, convert an awesome intense fight to a drop mission.

4. Ruler of the Sky (Days) - Once again, this was just another boring fight; debatably the most boring in the entire game. This fight can take an absurd amount of time, and once over, you really don't feel any feelings of accomplishment. It's not even a hard fight; just tedious since the majority of the fight is just you chasing after him.

5. Phantom (KH1) - This fight, like Ruler of the Sky, is boring and tedious. What's with flying bosses having bad design? You can only use a specific attack on Phantom at a certain time: Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, and Attack. Phantom has a bunch of health, and the fight overall just takes a long time. You'll once again be flying around for the most part and Curing when you get hit. Also, you have to cast Stop periodically on the Clock Tower to prevent him from casting Doom on your party members, which will remove them from the battle forever. Boring, long, and tedious. But at least we aren't at the frustrating ones yet.

6. Young Xehanort (DDD) - Speaking of frustrating bosses, here's one for you. Imagine all the issues with DDD, regarding boss stun, difficulty spikes, unfair AI; roll them all together, and you get this. YX is relentless, and barely has openings.  Even when you do attack him, you'll just end up getting obliterated by him randomly retaliating out of your combo. Welp, time to stick to spamming Balloon to win again. I don't even have a grudge against his time reverse thing at the end; in fact, I thought that was pretty cool. However, the fact that the fight empahsizes on the problems in DDD really just makes me hate it.

7. Armor of the Master (BBS) - Can't be stunned, once again. It's a long and boring fight. Sure, his attacks are flashy, but when you realized that all of them can be dodged by mashing Square as Aqua and Ven, the fight really doesn't do much else. Once again, use Surges! Because that's how you beat every single optional boss in BBS.

8. No Heart (BBS) - You cannot stun him. His attacks are brutal. The only way to win is to Dodge like hell, use Surges, get hit, run away, Cure, repeat. The fight also took FOREVER on the PSP version; luckily, Square nerfed him on the PS3 version. But that still doesn't make it any better.

9. All Vanitas Fights (BBS) - Vanitas is the epitome of bad boss design. He, like many others in BBS and DDD, cannot get stunned (and if he does, he teleports out before you can hit him again). He is the most inconsistent boss in the series; he does whatever he wants, whenever he wants, quite literally breaking the game's rules. Finally stunned him with a possible opening? Nope, teleport. Finally got two hits on him and is about to use a finisher? Nope, break out in the middle of your combo and teleport behind you, hitting you. The fight isn't hard once you get used to it; just don't use finishers. That's right, the way to win that fight is literally to attack once, roll away, and slowly chip away at his health forever and ever. A boss that is frustrating and tedious is one thing; however, a boss that breaks its own set of rules that the game has set up is a completely new level of bad design. What were you thinking Square?

10. Mysterious Figure (BBS) - As Aqua and Ven, this fight is almost pathetic once you know how to beat him. Mash Square until your thumb breaks, and Surges in his openings. As Terra, you hope and pray to the KH RNG Gods that they don't let you die. The issue with this fight rests in the intention. Square quite literally programmed the fight to act after the most broken mechanics in the entire series that is found in BBS. You spam Aqua and Ven's invincible dodges to win, you spam the OP command Thunder Surge, and everything else, including Terra and his crappy slide, is completely, utterly, useless. What a great fight. Vanitas broke its own rules, but Mysterious Figure literally breaks its own rules in order to force the player to also break the game's "intended rules" to win. Unbelievable; I can't believe people actually designed this garbage.

And yeah, I got pretty brutal with the last few ones there, but my point still stands; they were bad fights. Anyways, I'd like to see all of your opinion so yay discussion!

I agree with a lot of these points. If I were to add one to the list it'd be Data Luxord. The original fight is kind of a cakewalk, and I understand that if they didn't make this change, then the data version would also be a cakewalk, but when Luxord does his desperation move and forces Sora to that little card game that requires you to press the right commands at the exact right time? It's absolutely absurd how difficult that boss is, just based on that one little gimmick.

Pretty much all of your list aside from Xigbar, adding data-Luxord because of his Desperation Attack.

I almost forgot data Luxord,the reaction command in his fight were BS,I beat him purely by luck

Guard Armor from chain of memories: reverse/rebirth for the GBA

Man that fight was annoying (in the GBA version, they only gave riku 4 cards)

Edited by Pachirisu

I've never really had a problem with Vanitas or Data Xigbar, and I'd argue that the fight against Chernabog in DDD is more for the sake of aesthetic and style than a challenging boss fight. We already had a fight where we smacked him in the head until he died so turning him into a memorable Dive mission was a cool change of pace.

I wouldn't say I'm fussed to defend the other ones though. Birth by Sleep in general suffers from what has to be the weakest combat system. Every battle in that game is kind of a chore. Love the music, though.

Dragon Maleficent from KH1. Took me four freaking years to beat her. Sprays fire that covers the ground in an absurdly wide range and it LINGERS, homing nearly impossible to dodge due to the subpar camera and rolling mechanics and the fact that they all come after you at once, a biting attack that is never telegraphed, a tail swipe with HUGE hitbox data granted it is the only attack she telegraphs, but still it hurts, pounds the ground for what it feels forever. The worst part is, those attacks, they ain't weak they hit like a nuke. You're only hope is aeroga and leaf bracer. I hate this boss to death. Hands down my least favorite boss battle of all time.

Edited by SeekerOfLight97