Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Awesome Sauce

KH1 My Thoughts On: Kingdom Hearts

Heya!

So, I recently finished my very first playthrough of Kingdom Hearts. To celebrate, I decided to share my opinions regarding various aspects of the game and what I felt during my playthrough. I'll be talking about vanilla 1 and not Final Mix, which I'll do at another time. I played it on normal mode, so my opinions are gonna be derived there. If this is a review or not depends on you. Finally, sorry if I come off as a little pretentious in some of my comments. Anyways, let's get started:

-Story: I think the story for this game was pretty good. It does a fine job establishing the universe and the characters, and gave some new feelings towards them that I didn't have before I played this game. All the Disney characters are very faithful to their movies, not to mention they added onto the overall plot of the game. It also kept me interested in going forward and completing the trio's main objective. However, there was one thing I disliked about it: the pacing. While the worlds visited served as introductions to the other Disney characters and helped further the character development and dynamic between Sora, Donald and Goofy, they didn't progress the plot by much. It wasn't until Hollow Bastion where all the juicy details are revealed, and I thought it was a bad move. Aside from that, I thought it was good.

-Gameplay: I loved the gameplay. The exploration aspect was good, since there were a ton of areas with many platforms, exits and goodies to find, plus you had to think a bit more to get to the next destination, though it wasn't very clear on where to go (Or I'm just sucky at non-linear games). The combat is where the game really shows a fusion of action and traditional RPG games. I can move around and do a 3-hit combo on my enemies, dodge, block and move around without taking turns like an action game, but I can also use many types of magic, have party members aid me, do special attacks and gain experience after beating Heartless, like an RPG. Everything works  and is fast-paced, plus the magic system was very balanced. None of the spells were better than another, but some worked better against certain enemies and situations while others did not. The ability system complimented both exploration and gameplay, and made returning to previous worlds to discover new paths or ways to defeat old enemies something worthwhile. Everything just meshed together so well. The gummi ship segments were a nice little minigame to travel from world to world, but it didn't hook me. It was nice being able to make your own gummi, though it was shortlived. It was very annoying travelling worlds through "the lines", but that was remedied with the warp feature.

-Graphics: While it is on a PS2, the graphics of this game were pretty good. All of the worlds had distinct looks and styles and were great recreations of the settings of the movies they came from. The character models also looked good, with the original characters looking very Square Enix-esque and the FF and Disney characters were wonderfully recrreated in this style.

-Sound: TBH, I wasn't a big fan of the soundtrack before I played this game. It didn't hook me as much as the other pieces in the series. After playing, though. I like it! The compositions are original, cheery and set the mood of gameplay and story really well. They give more personality and life to the worlds and represent the spirit of Disney movies and Square Enix. Voice acting was great, in my opinion. All of the voices felt natural and did great performances, especially Haley Joel Osment. It's also nice that they got many of the actors and actresses of the Disney movies to record for this game, which adds into the authenticity. Overall, I think the sound of this game is great.

Overall, I liked Kingdom Hearts. It was what I expected plus more, and is a game that I could see myself replaying a dozen more times. After playing it, I can now call myself a KH fan and cannot wait to continue this series.

And so my marathon continues. This time I'll take a break and look at the life of another boy that is different, but similar, then sometime after that, journey through Sora's memories, before continuing with the other boy...

Heya!

So, I recently finished my very first playthrough of Kingdom Hearts. To celebrate, I decided to share my opinions regarding various aspects of the game and what I felt during my playthrough. I'll be talking about vanilla 1 and not Final Mix, which I'll do at another time. I played it on normal mode, so my opinions are gonna be derived there. If this is a review or not depends on you. Finally, sorry if I come off as a little pretentious in some of my comments. Anyways, let's get started:

-Story: I think the story for this game was pretty good. It does a fine job establishing the universe and the characters, and gave some new feelings towards them that I didn't have before I played this game. All the Disney characters are very faithful to their movies, not to mention they added onto the overall plot of the game. It also kept me interested in going forward and completing the trio's main objective. However, there was one thing I disliked about it: the pacing. While the worlds visited served as introductions to the other Disney characters and helped further the character development and dynamic between Sora, Donald and Goofy, they didn't progress the plot by much. It wasn't until Hollow Bastion where all the juicy details are revealed, and I thought it was a bad move. Aside from that, I thought it was good.

-Gameplay: I loved the gameplay. The exploration aspect was good, since there were a ton of areas with many platforms, exits and goodies to find, plus you had to think a bit more to get to the next destination, though it wasn't very clear on where to go (Or I'm just sucky at non-linear games). The combat is where the game really shows a fusion of action and traditional RPG games. I can move around and do a 3-hit combo on my enemies, dodge, block and move around without taking turns like an action game, but I can also use many types of magic, have party members aid me, do special attacks and gain experience after beating Heartless, like an RPG. Everything works  and is fast-paced, plus the magic system was very balanced. None of the spells were better than another, but some worked better against certain enemies and situations while others did not. The ability system complimented both exploration and gameplay, and made returning to previous worlds to discover new paths or ways to defeat old enemies something worthwhile. Everything just meshed together so well. The gummi ship segments were a nice little minigame to travel from world to world, but it didn't hook me. It was nice being able to make your own gummi, though it was shortlived. It was very annoying travelling worlds through "the lines", but that was remedied with the warp feature.

-Graphics: While it is on a PS2, the graphics of this game were pretty good. All of the worlds had distinct looks and styles and were great recreations of the settings of the movies they came from. The character models also looked good, with the original characters looking very Square Enix-esque and the FF and Disney characters were wonderfully recrreated in this style.

-Sound: TBH, I wasn't a big fan of the soundtrack before I played this game. It didn't hook me as much as the other pieces in the series. After playing, though. I like it! The compositions are original, cheery and set the mood of gameplay and story really well. They give more personality and life to the worlds and represent the spirit of Disney movies and Square Enix. Voice acting was great, in my opinion. All of the voices felt natural and did great performances, especially Haley Joel Osment. It's also nice that they got many of the actors and actresses of the Disney movies to record for this game, which adds into the authenticity. Overall, I think the sound of this game is great.

Overall, I liked Kingdom Hearts. It was what I expected plus more, and is a game that I could see myself replaying a dozen more times. After playing it, I can now call myself a KH fan and cannot wait to continue this series.

And so my marathon continues. This time I'll take a break and look at the life of another boy that is different, but similar, then sometime after that, journey through Sora's memories, before continuing with the other boy...

Glad you like it! xD KH1 is my favourite game in the franchise and it holds a special place in my heart :D I always thought the graphics were awesome for a PS2 game, the replay value is also really good and there are like 5 tough secret bosses you can take on post game which adds in some extra play time. Sora was also at his best in this game imo. The ending always gives me the feels :P

Edited by Shinobi Palace

Heya!

Not gonna be that guy but did you really think the various worlds in the game didn't progress the overall plot?

Oh and as a side note:

Did you play Kingdom Hearts 2 yet? Because that game was an worse offender of not progressing the overall plot of the game.

Not gonna be that guy but did you really think the various worlds in the game didn't progress the overall plot?

Oh and as a side note:

Did you play Kingdom Hearts 2 yet? Because that game was an worse offender of not progressing the overall plot of the game.

Yes. While the worlds were nice character development and Universe-building and offered some advancement in the story, I didn't feel as if it was going in a meaningful direction until Hollow Bastion.

Haven't played it yet, but I've read and watched many comments about the game that mentioned the pointlessness of world travelling in it.