Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Why is Mini NES a thing?

I initially thought that this was nothing more than a nostalgic cash grab... but then I thought about this more tactically. Then I realised as to why this is a far better idea then I initially had presumed. Here are my key three reasons as to why the Mini NES is a thing.

A quick cash grab

Let's be honest. A product prime objective for a company is to make profit. The price point is ideal for cash conscious consumers. If you're able to target these kind of consumers, you're able to maximise profits because they're the largest market segment of consumer markets.

Maintaining nostalgia

As the press release has stated, the validation of this console novelty item is that, it preserves the memories of the most memorable NES titles to a new generation. This means that, the NES goes beyond a historic video gaming console to modern relevance once again.

A hint for the NX

Sometimes, a company's business practices may be subtle hints at their future. Nintendo was always the company about "innovation". Maybe they finally listened to their fans after the disaster of the Wii U, and start from square one with the re-release of the NES.

Capitalising winter sales

The winter term is when consumers are most likely to spend cash because of the festive season, and with Nintendo's lacks of software and hardware on the Wii U side of things, they need to have something aside Pokemon Sun and Moon in order to make Christmas cash.

Sega and other former video game titans have released similar things like this before in the past, I don't think of this as anything special. The only reason people are making a big deal about it is because "GAAAAAASP, IT'S NINTENDO, ZOMG!!!!!". What it's not a big deal when Sega releases a mini-Genesis but when Nintendo releases a mini-NES it's like the best thing ever? Pfff, it is what it is, an option for those who want it, it's nothing revolutionary or anything like that. I'm only turned off in the fact that those who have previously owned cartridges can't really play those games on it, as it's meant to be a gaming library with built-in content. It's a useful device and a good way to get a taste of Nintendo history. It's just not the greatest thing since canned bread that everyone keeps making it out to be. :P

Nintendo has been manipulating your nostalgia since forever, why do you think they re hash the same franchises all the time? (Super mario bros, Mario galaxy, , Zelda, Mario Kart. Metroid, Pokemon,). This is just another way of doing it lol.

You know I never understood why people criticise Nintendo for doing nothing but "re-hashing", ignoring your laughable example of saying Metroid, both Mario and Zelda haven't been the exact same since the 80s. They share the same universes and basic premise, but I'd hardly look at Super Mario Galaxy and say "well that's the same game I played on the Gamecube but without that water gun mechanic!". Nintendo can cater to nostalgia because they have arguably the most iconic set of IPs in the video game space, if not the world. Some buy into it, but others don't.

Sega and other former video game titans have released similar things like this before in the past, I don't think of this as anything special. The only reason people are making a big deal about it is because "GAAAAAASP, IT'S NINTENDO, ZOMG!!!!!". What it's not a big deal when Sega releases a mini-Genesis but when Nintendo releases a mini-NES it's like the best thing ever? Pfff, it is what it is, an option for those who want it, it's nothing revolutionary or anything like that. I'm only turned off in the fact that those who have previously owned cartridges can't really play those games on it, as it's meant to be a gaming library with built-in content. It's a useful device and a good way to get a taste of Nintendo history. It's just not the greatest thing since canned bread that everyone keeps making it out to be. :P

The mini-Genesis had such a trashy line-up of games though? It's nothing revolutionary of course, but there's a reason why Nintendo gets that little bit more buzz... The games are better for one thing and let's face it, Nintendo are far more relevant than Sega are nowadays. I haven't seen much praise towards it to be honest, seen lots of people criticise others for liking it though.

In relation to the Mini NES though, it's hard to fault Nintendo on this one, sure it's a little barebones, but the sheer amount of great games on it more than justifies the price. Whether it will appeal to the masses is another thing, but if it's a success then I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't continue with another line of mini consoles. You pose a good question though Alpha as to whether it will be related to the NX, does it further signify a return to cartridges? We shall see...

I initially thought that this was nothing more than a nostalgic cash grab... but then I thought about this more tactically. Then I realised as to why this is a far better idea then I initially had presumed. Here are my key three reasons as to why the Mini NES is a thing.

A quick cash grab

Let's be honest. A product prime objective for a company is to make profit. The price point is ideal for cash conscious consumers. If you're able to target these kind of consumers, you're able to maximise profits because they're the largest market segment of consumer markets.

Maintaining nostalgia

As the press release has stated, the validation of this console novelty item is that, it preserves the memories of the most memorable NES titles to a new generation. This means that, the NES goes beyond a historic video gaming console to modern relevance once again.

A hint for the NX

Sometimes, a company's business practices may be subtle hints at their future. Nintendo was always the company about "innovation". Maybe they finally listened to their fans after the disaster of the Wii U, and start from square one with the re-release of the NES.

Capitalising winter sales

The winter term is when consumers are most likely to spend cash because of the festive season, and with Nintendo's lacks of software and hardware on the Wii U side of things, they need to have something aside Pokemon Sun and Moon in order to make Christmas cash.

And if it sells well then other mini console ver. could happen.

Nintendo has been manipulating your nostalgia since forever, why do you think they re hash the same franchises all the time? (Super mario bros, Mario galaxy, , Zelda, Mario Kart. Metroid, Pokemon,). This is just another way of doing it lol.

Except this is done purely to try and hit you in the nostalgia.

I was thinking about that and I think Sega did it to soon, I mean No HD ver. of the games, only one player games, not as many games, and it's not as convenient because you couldn't take out the controllers(and the controllers were cheap), and no save states/spots. Plus, I think they were still a little shaken by their past with consoles. But if they did something like this and added some thing then I'm sure it would sell.

And if it sells well then other mini console ver. could happen.

Except this is done purely to try and hit you in the nostalgia.

I was thinking about that and I think Sega did it to soon, I mean No HD ver. of the games, only one player games, not as many games, and it's not as convenient because you couldn't take out the controllers(and the controllers were cheap), and no save states/spots. Plus, I think they were still a little shaken by their past with consoles. But if they did something like this and added some thing then I'm sure it would sell.

Well I haven't really been paying attention to the specs. If they've done a lot more than just have all the games in their original formats built into the thing and made it a lot more quality level (rather than something you would just find in a Bed Bath and Beyond), then I guess it's a pretty sweet deal. I'm just a little annoyed is all, I like Nintendo but I'm not first in line to praise every little thing they do.

True, it's their only saving grace at this moment in time. Aside Splatoon, historic IP's are their only backbone to rely on. Quite a double edged sword if you ask me

Sega and other former video game titans have released similar things like this before in the past, I don't think of this as anything special. The only reason people are making a big deal about it is because "GAAAAAASP, IT'S NINTENDO, ZOMG!!!!!". Why is it not a big deal when Sega releases a mini-Genesis but when Nintendo releases a mini-NES it's like the best thing ever? 

Actually, the reason as to why Sega's version isn't as special is because of the following...

1) The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Collection is available on Steam. That's already a large target market covered. Nintendo is exclusively Nintendo.

2) The plug-and-play that Sega released was developed by a third party. This is developed by Nintendo.

Funnily enough, Sega released a survey a while ago about the IP's that consumers are into aside Sonic and what consumer think of Sega as a company. Hopefully, Sega can translate those findings into something that culminates into their other franchises being respected and represented outside Sonic.

The mini-Genesis had such a trashy line-up of games though? It's nothing revolutionary of course, but there's a reason why Nintendo gets that little bit more buzz... The games are better for one thing and let's face it, Nintendo are far more relevant than Sega are nowadays. I haven't seen much praise towards it to be honest, seen lots of people criticise others for liking it though.

Hold up, are you calling Streets of Rage, Shinobi and Virtua Fighter 2 trashy? cause Streets of Rage defined beat-em ups and Virtua Fighter 2 introduced 3D polygonal fighting. You may want to take that back son.

Hold up, are you calling Streets of Rage, Shinobi and Virtua Fighter 2 trashy? cause Streets of Rage defined beat-em ups and Virtua Fighter 2 introduced 3D polygonal fighting. You may want to take that back son.

Nope. Streets of Rage was so good. Virtua Fighter 2 as well. I just meant in comparison to the NES line-up it was much smaller and not nearly as good. Though that's just my opinion. I'd take Mario 1-3 over Sonic 1-3 any day :/

True, it's their only saving grace at this moment in time. Aside Splatoon, historic IP's are their only backbone to rely on. Quite a double edged sword if you ask me

Actually, the reason as to why Sega's version isn't as special is because of the following...

1) The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Collection is available on Steam. That's already a large target market covered. Nintendo is exclusively Nintendo.

2) The plug-and-play that Sega released was developed by a third party. This is developed by Nintendo.

Funnily enough, Sega released a survey a while ago about the IP's that consumers are into aside Sonic and what consumer think of Sega as a company. Hopefully, Sega can translate those findings into something that culminates into their other franchises being respected and represented outside Sonic.

Yeah well it sure is nice to still be able to make your own consoles, now isn't it? :P

All depends on how they go about things. As long as Sonic is being handled well enough they can spare some more attention and care to other franchises.

Nope. Streets of Rage was so good. Virtua Fighter 2 as well. I just meant in comparison to the NES line-up it was much smaller and not nearly as good. Though that's just my opinion. I'd take Mario 1-3 over Sonic 1-3 any day :/

I see Sega's Mega Drive/Genesis and Nintendo's NES line-up as equals to be brutally honest. Nintendo's classic line-up doesn't have any first party beat-em ups, racing games or fighting games like Sega. The Sega Mega Drive line-up was exactly the same as the Nintendo line-up: quantity wise. 30 games.

Yeah well it sure is nice to still be able to make your own consoles, now isn't it? :P

I am so 50/50 about Sega being software only. On the one hand, we have Sonic in Smash and games like Project X Zone, but on the other hand, Sega's software have lacked the passion of their hey-day because they're no longer in the hardware business (if you don't count Atlus).

I see Sega's Mega Drive/Genesis and Nintendo's NES line-up as equals to be brutally honest. Nintendo's classic line-up doesn't have any first party beat-em ups, racing games or fighting games like Sega. The Sega Mega Drive line-up was exactly the same as the Nintendo line-up: quantity wise. 30 games.

I am so 50/50 about Sega being software only. On the one hand, we have Sonic in Smash and games like Project X Zone, but on the other hand, Sega's software have lacked the passion of their hey-day because they're no longer in the hardware business (if you don't count Atlus).

At the very least there's less need to compete against Mario...or maybe that was what pushed it in the first place..........I don't even know anymore. Just ask me after July 22nd. :P

You know I never understood why people criticise Nintendo for doing nothing but "re-hashing", ignoring your laughable example of saying Metroid, both Mario and Zelda haven't been the exact same since the 80s. They share the same universes and basic premise, but I'd hardly look at Super Mario Galaxy and say "well that's the same game I played on the Gamecube but without that water gun mechanic!". Nintendo can cater to nostalgia because they have arguably the most iconic set of IPs in the video game space, if not the world. Some buy into it, but others don't.

Adding to this, the idea that they "only" release games in the same franchises that they have for 20 years is ridiculous. They've done other new IPs, and have some franchises that get new releases in a much longer timespan. Splatoon and Codename S.T.E.A.M. are two examples of new IPs, and while Xenoblade is a spiritual continuation of past Xeno games, it hardly counts as a nostalgic franchise in the same league as Mario (Not in terms of quality, but in terms of popularity and how long it's been around). It also hasn't been rehashed at all, given that there's only been two Xenoblade games total, and there was a long gap in time between them both. Then there are franchises like Pikmin or Kid Icarus, both of which have only had a few games released.

Besides, there have only been two Mario Galaxy games. Can't call that rehashing, really.