Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
SomeKHFan

Speculation- Yen Sid

Out of all the characters in the series among the most mysterious is Yen Sid. We know he is a retired Keyblade Master and he taught Mickey but his past is more mysterious than Xehanorts.

Could he have been a student alongside Eraqus and Xehanort? Could he be from the time of X/UX? Could he have been something else?

What is your opinion?

I think he was Eraqus and Xehanort's Master, because he was already retired as of BbS and knew how disobediant and rebellious a student Xehanort was. This suggests that he was a Master in the genration before them, but still knew them as students. 

And if the thing about Xehanort being in his 30's is true, that makes Yen Sid older than either him or Eraqus, makign it even more possible.

Also, It's highly unlikey Square woudld want to mess with his disighn so if he where an apprentice alongside them, hed have Young Eraqus, Young Xehanort, and Yen Sid just as he is. Him being their Master would explain why he still looks the same, because he was already old back then.

However, I seem to be the only person in the fandom who is of this opinion.

Edited by Isamu Kuno

I think he was Eraqus and Xehanort's Master, because he was already retired as of BbS and knew how disobediant and rebellious a student Xehanort was. This suggests that he was a Master in the genration before them, but still knew them as students. 

And if the thing about Xehanort being in his 30's is true, that makes Yen Sid older than either him or Eraqus, makign it even more possible.

Wait where was it said Xehanort is in his 30's?

Wait where was it said Xehanort is in his 30's?

I don't know. probably some baseless fan theory. But you never know with KH. Xehanort actually could be the age he appears, or it could have somethng to do with abusing Darkness. Just ignore that part and focus on the rest.

Edited by Isamu Kuno

I don't know. probably some baseless fan theory. But you never know with KH. Xehanort actually could be the age he appears, or it could have something to do with abusing Darkness.

I'm pretty sure that it was Xemnas that was stated to be around 30. Xehanort looks more around Yen Sid's age.

I'm pretty sure that it was Xemnas that was stated to be around 30. Xehanort looks more around Yen Sid's age.

Hard to tell with Disney characters, They don't age like original or FF characters. Look at Snow White, she was captured just before the start of KH (During if you clear Deep Jungle before Wonderland) but she's barely any older than she was in BbS 10 years earlier. And it's not becasue she's a Princess of Heart otherwise Kairi wouldn't have aged between KH and KH2.

Edited by Isamu Kuno

Yen Sid is definitely a mystery in the Kingdom Hearts Universe!  Of what we know, the only clear things we have is that he was a former Keyblade Master and is an observer of events, and an ally to Sora and friends!

I'm really hoping that we get some more insight on his character in Kingdom Hearts III!  I'd love it if the game had flashbacks of him training alongside Xehanort and Eraqus! I think that he trained alongside them in their early days!  But I don't think he was their master!  But maybe I'm wrong, ya know? :)

Well, he's a Disney character, so most of his backstory is pretty much covered in his movie of origin, The Sorcerer's Apprentice...in that he is a powerful sorcerer who has an apprentice. Point is, he doesn't necessarily need a backstory to be understood, he's great and powerful sorcerer, I think that holds up on it's own.

But, seeing as how flexible his history could be, having only appeared in Fantasia and a few other games, I guess there's enough room for his backstory to be expanded upon in the KH series, to a degree.

A student along side Eraqus and Xehanort? That sounds likely, he seemed very familiar with the two of them, Eraqus calling him his "dear old friend" and Yen Sid having expressed past concerns over Xehanort's ambitions ("I had hoped, Xehanort, that your heart would no longer lead you astray"). Take all this into account along with the fact that he was at one point a Keyblade Master, and you pretty much have enough given information to suspect that he may have well been a fellow pupil with those two under the same Master, or at the very least a pupil of another Master who happens to be friends with their Master.

Could he be from the time of KH X? ...Ehhhhhhh, I don't think so. That's a bit of a stretch. We haven't seen any signs to point to him being from that time. I mean I know he's old, but not that old, especially if we're still willing to believe that he was friends with Eraqus and Xehanort at some point. And it seems as though he only knows as much about the Keyblade War as Xehanort or Kairi's Grandma does, and that was still through years of research and wondering and fairy tales being passed down for generations. He's likely learned things of the War, but having actually witnessed it? Nah, I doubt it. I mean if he did, then he could have just told Xehanort the answers he was seeking and the whole series never would have happened.

Still, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think Yen Sid's past is that important, so long as he still fills that mentor role for Sora and everyone else, we know all that we absolutely have to about the guy. But hey, any expansion of someone's character is welcome in my book, especially if that means we'll get to see a unique design of him as a young Keyblade wielder next to Eraqus and Xehanort. So if they want to give more backstory to him, the more the merrier!

I believe he was a student alongside Eraqus and Xehanort. It kind of makes sense. When Eraqus refers to him in BBS he says "my dear old friend". This doesn't prove anything, but still it's possible....

Could he be from the time of KH X? ...Ehhhhhhh, I don't think so. 

Does that mean Mickey is older than him? Mickey, Donald and Gooofy all appeared in X....and it seemed they were already living at DIsney Castle. I think the best solution to this is that the Disney characters don't age. Simple. But worlds exist at different points in their lives, hence Timeless River, Country of the Musketeers (though Mickey had understanding of other worlds at this point possibly meaning he was merely on a trip with Donald and Goofy from Disney Castle), Symphony of Sorcery and uhh was it Toytown or something?

In any case, Yen Sid probably existed during the time the keyblade war happened but was far away from it and couldn't get there. OR, he could have been a Dandelion. I don't know. He is very mysterious.

Does that mean Mickey is older than him? Mickey, Donald and Gooofy all appeared in X....and it seemed they were already living at DIsney Castle. I think the best solution to this is that the Disney characters don't age. Simple. But worlds exist at different points in their lives, hence Timeless River, Country of the Musketeers (though Mickey had understanding of other worlds at this point possibly meaning he was merely on a trip with Donald and Goofy from Disney Castle), Symphony of Sorcery and uhh was it Toytown or something?

In any case, Yen Sid probably existed during the time the keyblade war happened but was far away from it and couldn't get there. OR, he could have been a Dandelion. I don't know. He is very mysterious.

The Mickey, Donald and Goofy in x/Ux where just holograms projected by the Book of Prophecy, just like every other Disney character.

Edited by Isamu Kuno

Those weren't the real Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, they were all illusions created by the Book of Prophesies. The book doesn't just create illusions of worlds from the future, it can also create illusions of people from the future as well. In this case, the book created illusions of Mickey and the gang to appear in Daybreak Town to give you more missions to do. And logically speaking, it makes no sense for them to be around like that anyway, they don't exist until their worlds exist, they wouldn't be wearing those exact outfits at the time, and Gummi Ships have yet to be invented, because they are made of the broken pieces of the walls between worlds, and the WORLDS don't exist yet, just the one, no barriers necessary. Mickey and co. are just more products of the book.

And again, it seems VERY unlikely that Yen Sid was in any way involved with that war, Dandelion or otherwise, let alone even be alive back then. He only speaks of it as though it were legend and history, not like a survivor who was actually there to witness it. And don't you think that after all this time and all this trouble, he would just have come out and said it if he really was? Xehanort wouldn't need to do half the things he's done just to get his answers, he could have just asked Yen Sid. It's for that reason that I'm very certain that Yen Sid was NOT alive back then, because if he was, then that would be terrible writing, you would have had a solution to your main conflict under your nose for several games. Yen Sid didn't exist back then.