Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

In the Kingdom Hearts X secret ending, we see that Maleficent from Kingdom Hearts canon is present in the Kingdom Hearts X era. My personal theory is that, Maleficent was able to time travel after the end of Kingdom Hearts and before her revival in Kingdom Hearts II.

Specifically, after she was defeated by Sora in Kingdom Hearts, she wasn't completely eliminated, but rather, she was nothing more than a spirit. By default, she discarded her body and was given the ability to time travel.

Now, she must have had the knowledge of The Book of Prophecies before Kingdom Hearts as she may have been intelligent enough to travel to the Kingdom Hearts X era as she realised that her world appeared as a "hologram", and because a version of her existed in the hologram, she could travel to that era (unlike Xehanort).

Edited by Guest

This is a pretty good theory. I was about the comment about the fact that a version of you must exist at the destination, but you brought that up. xD

Plus, if this theory is true, it ('it' referring to the story of Unchaind Chi) could bring a good explanation for her return in KH2.

Oh, I'm just shaking with excitement for Maleficent to be relevant again. xD

EDIT: Unfortunately, there's just one problem with this theory. We don't know if the 'hologram' of herself created from the Book of Prophecies counts as a version of herself with which she can time travel to. My guess is that it would count, but I just want to bring this up for the fact that this theory wouldn't work if the 'hologram' doesn't count.

Edited by Master Eraqus

On 8/30/2016 at 1:45 AM, Sorarocks93 said:

That's impossible though, unless she existed back then too. In DDD it is stated that you can only travel back as long as you have a version of yourself there. So unless she's immortal, that's impossible.

They actually brought that up:

Now, she must have had the knowledge of The Book of Prophecies before Kingdom Hearts as she may have been intelligenet enough to travel to the Kingdom Hearts X era as she realised that her world appeared as a "hologram", and because a version of her existed in the hologram, she could travel to that era (unlike Xehanort).

That doesn't really make any sense though. The hologram would only exist in The Book of Prophecies, so that's the only place where she'd have to go.  So no need for time travel in the first place. I just think this is connected to the new cutscene in Re:Coded and that she found a way to access it. (possibly something to do with Jiminy's journal.)

Edit: And how would the hologram be there in the first place if she didn't go there? That would be a paradox. I mean, this theory is nice and all but after what DDD did, we don't really need paradoxes on top of everything else :(

Edited by Sorarocks93

That doesn't really make any sense though. The hologram would only exist in The Book of Prophecies, so that's the only place where she'd have to go.  So no need for time travel in the first place. I just think this is connected to the new cutscene in Re:Coded and that she found a way to access it. (possibly something to do with Jiminy's journal.)

Edit: And how would the hologram be there in the first place if she didn't go there? That would be a paradox. I mean, this theory is nice and all but after what DDD did, we don't really need paradoxes on top of everything else :(

The 'hologram' doesn't exist in the Book of Prophecies. The book is able to create 'illusions'/'holograms' of beings, powers and worlds that have yet to exist, which explains the cards/medals of powers of characters from the future, characters such as Mickey, Donald and Goofy, who we see in Daybreak Town, and the Disney worlds we visit, along with the people in those worlds.

The thing is X and Unchained X take place within the Realm of Sleep. We know that because of Chirithy Dream Eaters. The Realm of Sleep exists outside of time, so how could she directly travel to world of Unchained X. In terms of time travel, it would make more sense to travel to Castle of Dominion before it fell to darkness, and try to enter the Realm of Sleep that way. But personally I don't think time travel is involved. From the sounds of it Pete is there with her, and has wandered off. Maleficent even comments that it doesn't matter if he's snooping around because Sora and friends can't get to that world, or so she thinks, remember after DDD Sora was specifically shown to have unlocked the ability to enter the Realm of Sleep freely.

Eh, I don't think that's how they're implying things. Every secret ending we've been getting so far has been implying a linear progression towards Kingdom Hearts 3, or in Re:Coded's case, the next game in the timeline (be it KH 3D, 0.2, KH X, or KH3). With that said, I doubt that they would give us a curveball and suddenly drag Maleficent into the whole timetravel business, especially since that's kind of one of the defining things separating her from Xehanort as a villain. Story progression wise, it makes more sense, that Maleficent is still pursuing the goals she has from Re:Coded-onwards, meaning that this is still present Maleficent, but somehow she has access to somewhere that appears to be Enchanted Dominion that Sora and co. can't seem to access. It keeps Maleficent more relevant if it's the same Maleficent who's just starting to jump back into action again after KH2, from a narrative standpoint.

Now I'm sure that you think I'm a broken record by this point, but the damning thing about this is that we still don't know all the details. For all we know, this might not even be the real Enchanted Dominion or even a facs-....fasim-....fabra....a copy made by the Book of Prophesies. For all we know, it could also be a recreation of the world within the Realm of Dreams, or some other crazy mumbo jumbo that Maleficent has conjured up that allows this scenario to happen. This might even be what that "Unchained State" was supposed to be, but somehow she hijacked it. The way that ending went, there's so many questions left up in the air and so many different ways to interpret it.

But I guess that's the point after all, to interpret till it's explained. My point is that as many possibilities as there are with this ending, I think the one thing I can feel certain of until proven otherwise is that this is still the same Maleficent we have been following through all the games instead of some time travel off-shoot. She was already hinting several times that she has big plans in store for everyone, and while the focus has been mostly focused on Xehanort, it's been giving her plenty of room to move about mostly unnoticed, so it really feels like this is the beginning of the culmination of whatever her plan is. At least, that's how I see it.

The thing is X and Unchained X take place within the Realm of Sleep. We know that because of Chirithy Dream Eaters.

Except for the facts that:

1. Dream Eaters can exist outside the Realm of Sleep, as seen in Dream Drop Distance.
  2. We can see the Keyblade War and its ruins from the four squares of Keyblades, which we see in Birth By Sleep.

Except for the facts that:

• Dream Eaters can exist outside the Realm of Sleep, as seen in Dream Drop Distance.
  • We can see the Keyblade War and its ruins from the four squares of Keyblades, which we see in Birth By Sleep.
There was only one instance in which the Dream Eaters existed outside of the Realm of Sleep. That was when Riku escaped Sora's nightmare and used the Dream Eaters in TWTNW. The only reason why he was able to do that was because Sora was still asleep and Riku was still his active Dream Eater. In this way he was still able to call on the Dream Eaters powers despite being in the real world. It also helps that the TWTNW is an Inbetween world and has special properties due to the fact they they can exist in multiple realms at once.

The Keyblade War actually happened, we know this and are seeing how it went down via Chi/Unchained Chi. That doesn't eliminate the possibility that what we are seeing in X and UX is a dream, especially when there is every indication that is what's happening. The very properties of sleeping worlds is displaying things as they were.

There was only one instance in which the Dream Eaters existed outside of the Realm of Sleep. That was when Riku escaped Sora's nightmare and used the Dream Eaters in TWTNW. The only reason why he was able to do that was because Sora was still asleep and Riku was still his active Dream Eater. In this way he was still able to call on the Dream Eaters powers despite being in the real world. It also helps that the TWTNW is an Inbetween world and has special properties due to the fact they they can exist in multiple realms at once.

The Keyblade War actually happened, we know this and are seeing how it went down via Chi/Unchained Chi. That doesn't eliminate the possibility that what we are seeing in X and UX is a dream, especially when there is every indication that is what's happening. The very properties of sleeping worlds is displaying things as they were.

All I'm saying is that it's possible for Dream Eaters to exist outside the Realm of Sleep, even if it was that one instance.

Also, please explain to me the indications of this being a Sleeping world because I don't see it.

Edited by Master Eraqus

The 'hologram' doesn't exist in the Book of Prophecies. The book is able to create 'illusions'/'holograms' of beings, powers and worlds that have yet to exist, which explains the cards/medals of powers of characters from the future, characters such as Mickey, Donald and Goofy, who we see in Daybreak Town, and the Disney worlds we visit, along with the people in those worlds.

Oh. Didn't know that. Damn, this makes things even more confusing.

Yeah I'm just gonna wait until Unchained is over and for Back Cover lol.

All I'm saying is that it's possible for Dream Eaters to exist outside the Realm of Sleep, even if it was that one instance.

Also, please explain to me the indications of this being a Sleeping world because I don't see it.

It's possible, but not under the circumstances that are laid in KHX/KHUX. DDD was a special case, due to the fact that Riku himself became a Dream Eater and was able to call other Dream Eaters to help him.

On the topic of the KHX/KHUX taking place in the Realm of Sleep there is plenty hints. In fact when the player's Nightmare Chirithy is destroyed, he straight up says "See you in another dream". That is a direct implication that KHX is taking place within a dream. The whole dynamic of the KHX and KHUX is very similiar to Sora and Riku's dream within a dream scenario. With KHX being the dream within a dream. 

It's possible, but not under the circumstances that are laid in KHX/KHUX. DDD was a special case, due to the fact that Riku himself became a Dream Eater and was able to call other Dream Eaters to help him.

On the topic of the KHX/KHUX taking place in the Realm of Sleep there is plenty hints. In fact when the player's Nightmare Chirithy is destroyed, he straight up says "See you in another dream". That is a direct implication that KHX is taking place within a dream. The whole dynamic of the KHX and KHUX is very similiar to Sora and Riku's dream within a dream scenario. With KHX being the dream within a dream. 

Oh, well you got me there. xD

*claps*

I think I need to provide you a visual context.

Jump to 15:25 and you will see that Maleficent has no body. It's easy to assume that she was defeated, but in reality, I think that she had no physical body.

And as far as the term hologram goes, it's the official term used by Ephemera to describe the worlds in Kingdom Hearts Unchained X.

The real question we should be asking, is who is doing the dreaming?...

Could it be Ventus who is dreaming? That could explain why he was on the commenrative 3rd anniversary art behind Skuld and Ephemera.

Could it be Ventus who is dreaming? That could explain why he was on the commenrative 3rd anniversary art behind Skuld and Ephemera.

That would be a relevant link with Dream Drop Distance as well...

That's definitely possibility. Maybe is an avatar of the player, and while Ventus was asleep he connected to the sleeping hearts of Skuld and Ephemera. Perhaps X and UX is Ventus, Ephemera, and Skuld trying to be awake from their slumber.

Who gave her the power to time travel though?

Alpha Baymax is suggesting with this theory that Maleficent gained the power to time travel after losing her body from Sora defeating her in Kingdom Hearts 1.

To quote Young Xehanort, "To move through time, you must leave your body behind."

The thing is X and Unchained X take place within the Realm of Sleep. We know that because of Chirithy Dream Eaters.

Actually, Chirithy are exceptional Dream Eaters. They're like the equivalent of Emblem Heartless. They're man made. Chirithy states so themselves.

"Before my master, He who created me, disappeared. He bestowed His six followers with new names, and gave five of them a tome of prophecy. These five followers, who were to become the Foretellers, read the future written in the tome."

It's impossible for Chirithy to be made in just a Dream World, when the Keyblade War has been documented in the Kingdom Hearts lore in the real world of Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts X can still happen in the real world regardless of the existence of Chirithy, as again, they're an exception to the Dream Eater rule. 

That actually makes some sense.

Plus, when you travel back to the present day, you forget the experiences that you've seen, but, the path influenced from interacting directly with the past in etched in a person's heart (as evident by Young Xehanort). That can be a reasonable explanation as to why Maleficent wasn't too concerned about the Book of Prophecies until the events of Re: Coded reminded her of her interactions from travelling to the past.

Edited by Guest