Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
The Deathdealer

What is your guys opinions on paying to play online on the consoles

I never really played 'fully' online games until Kingdom Hearts Unchained X.

I prefer console offline games mostly but I also don't mind games that require online only for co-op of connectivity purposes such as playing with other people on Pokemon or KHBBS. Other than that I don't play online games.

It also depends. If you're paying a one off purchase fee to play online on a console, its not too bad. BUT if they're charging you for all the small bits and pieces of extras for an 'online console' game, I wouldn't play.

It doesn't irk me all that much. My PS+ sub recently ran out and it was annoying that I couldn't play games with my younger sister over the network, but unfortunately that's just how it is. Nintendo really spoil people with the free online and so does PC. I cannot speak for what Xbox Live is like as I don't own an Xbox, but I don't find that the PS4 does enough to warrant the PS+ price. I had been subbed for a full year and the "free" games each month got worse and worse, I didn't purchase games frequently enough to get any really good discounts, and I simply didn't don't play online games all that much.

I can understand the frustration when it comes to PS+ or Xbox Live, after all we are paying ridiculous prices to even use the internet in the first place from our local ISPs. If PS+ did more to justify its €50 then I honestly don't think it's that big of an issue.

I do like that PS+ isn't mandatory for every game with online functions, but I do think that $60 games that are purely online (like Battlefront or Overwatch) should also fall under the same category. It's actually one of the reasons I didn't buy Overwatch, here I'd have to drop €125 just to play it on PS4, which is beyond a joke.

I never really played 'fully' online games until Kingdom Hearts Unchained X.

I prefer console offline games mostly but I also don't mind games that require online only for co-op of connectivity purposes such as playing with other people on Pokemon or KHBBS. Other than that I don't play online games.

It also depends. If you're paying a one off purchase fee to play online on a console, its not too bad. BUT if they're charging you for all the small bits and pieces of extras for an 'online console' game, I wouldn't play.

Yeah, mostly the same boat here. I would only really see myself getting into one if it was with a franchise I already had an attachment to or interest in, like Kingdom Hearts.

It sucks, but it also really depends on how much you're willing to put up with. Like the BS with KH Unchained X, while I hate the fact that I basically have to spend $15 a week in order to try and draw better medals, I can at least put up with it enough (theoretically you get what you pay for, and then some). The irksome thing is that the medals are never guaranteed so I may as well be throwing money away each time for getting an average chance of 50% useless medals, 40% average clones, 9% decent medals that I wasn't anticipating, and 1% the super awesome medal that was advertised that I really really want. That and going through all this while knowing full well how much better the Japanese server treats their players just makes it even more aggravating.

But it's Kingdom Hearts, so I just kind of have to put up with it. At least it isn't getting as BS as Sonic Runners got (but it's slowly getting there...deal by deal...).

But unless it was a series I really cared for, I wouldn't bother dealing with a monthly subscription that far outprices the experience I initially payed for. Again, if there's perks or incentives that comes with it, then fine, but if it doesn't feel like it matches the value of what I have to keep dishing out, then it just wouldn't be worth it. Plus, I'm not even sure if it's the style of game for me. Unless I'm invested in the world, story, and gameplay that I get to interact in, I won't feel as happy playing in a mostly barren setting with nothing to do other than level up most of the time. The only few I ever got into in the past was Fusion Fall (which is, of course, offline....currently waiting for those Legacy and Retro fan projects to kick off though), White Knight Chronicles (I soon got bored of it though, not as gripping as the main campaign), and, well Kingdom Hearts Unchained X, but it's more of a single player campaign with mass communication and shared damage on Raid Bosses...so a 1.5 player experience. Maybe I could get into something like Final Fantasy XIV, but that's going to be a while before I put in the investment for that.

My feeling on the issue at large is that while a subscription for a continuously expanding online experience is understandable, I feel like whatever price they make you pay MUST match the quality of the experience that they give you. If it really doesn't add much, then they shouldn't be charging you an average of one game price a month. But in the end, it just depends on the experience you're looking for in a game. Maybe online is worth it for you, maybe it isn't.

Well with Xbox (at least) I can sort of make an exception, because not just are you paying for online play, you get free games. Not all of the games you get offered every month are something that everyone is gonna want, but I can guarantee that there are several games every year offered free (and add up to quite surpass the 60 bucks) that will make that 12 month membership more than worth it for a good number of people at the very least. I personally redeem all the game cause you never know what you just might find you like! And what's even more worth it is you can find the membership cards at a much cheaper price. :) Not quite something you get on steam. And as a person who has been both a console and PC gamer I think I can appreciate that. 

Though I will admit having to pay to play online does suck. You just shouldn't have to do that. Bad enough you have to pay for internet AND games, why have to pay to play these games online too? And while there are incentives like the free games to buy a membership that they added a few years back, they should remove online game access from these memberships. Make them for monthly games and other things only. So I completely agree that we shouldn't be paying to play online. But since I like the whole Games with Gold program I just kind of ignore that the live membership is required to play online because either way i'm going to buy the membership (discounted) anyways.

(I should also note that since they made apps useable for free a long while ago and since i'm not much of an online gamer when it comes to console, at least as of late, i'm pretty much just paying for the Games with Gold program anyways.)

Edited by Geralt

I think it's bloody bullshit. I can't speak for Xbox, but I have nintendo and sony consoles, and I remember when sony announced ps plus I was so sure that there would be a massive backlash that they would scrap it. But apparently people welcomed it.

I still think that there should be a boycott of ps plus so sony can get the message, because being complacent isn't gonna get anyone anywhere, except for Sony's pockets. I don't have ps plus, and I don't intend to either. we've already paid a small fortune for the consoles, we're already paying for internet, and every game in this generation costs a ridiculous amount of money  don't even get me started on the bullshit excuse that is shipping costs. So why on Earth should we pay for online multiplayer?

And also, wht tf are all modern games online multiplayer only? This really pisses me off. More than the paying for online multiplayer.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular, just the big CEO's who are only interested in ca$h /rant

Edited by 2 quid is good

I think it's bloody bullshit. I can't speak for Xbox, but I have nintendo and sony consoles, and I remember when sony announced ps plus I was so sure that there would be a massive backlash that they would scrap it. But apparently people welcomed it. Beccause people are f*cking idiots.

I still think that there should be a boycott of ps plus so sony can get the message, because being complacent isn't gonna get anyone anywhere, except for Sony's pockets. I don't have ps plus, and I don't intend to either. I also think that people who say we were being spoiled in previous generations need their heads screwed on, we've already paid a small fortune for the consoles, we're already paying for internet, and every game in this generation costs a ridiculous amount of money  don't even get me started on the bullshit excuse that is shipping costs. So why on Earth should we pay for online multiplayer?

And also, wht tf are all modern games online multiplayer only? This really pisses me off. More than the paying for online multiplayer.

I swear down if anyone says because split screen is 30 fps I will do something unpleasant.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular, just the big CEO's who are only interested in ca$h /rant

To be fair, a friend of mine has PS+ and they do give out free games, and not old cheap games, but new games like that new NBA one. Obviously, the vast majority will be cheap games, but sometimes they do give out nice stuff.

I still think paying for online stuff is stupid, just pay for the actual thing, on the long run it'll be a lot cheaper xD

It's up to £40 in the UK for an XBL membership or a PSN membership (12 months).

That's one of the reasons why PC is cheaper in the long run. If the console lasts you 6-7 years, then your paying another £240+.... Add that on top of your regular console+possible extra controllers+overpriced games and then PC becomes less expensive

Yah know what's even WORSE? The fact that PSN is constantly going down or getting hacked yet Sony still charge an insane price for an online membership...

Oh and also the free games on PSN are AWFUL. I used to play on XBL a few years ago (2011-2015) and the games they'd give for free were so good. You'd get games like gears of war, dishonoured etc for free.

All PS4 give out is these really bad indie games...

Oh and what's even worse? The fact they charge you for certain backgrounds/themes on the PSN store. They never did that when I used to play on XBL.

I'm glad I play on PC now xD If it wasn't for Persona 5, KH3, FFXV and Final Fantasy 7 Remake (FF is coming to PC anyway since Square love the PC. Nearly every FF game is on there xD. Rip console exclusives) then I wouldn't own a PS4. I bought the PS4 mainly for KH3.

As someone who's played on XBOX and PS. I'd say that Xbox live is a million times better than PSN. PSN is pretty bad.

Oh and ALSO this

http://nichegamer.com/2016/08/22/playstation-plus-gets-a-price-hike-in-north-america/

Edited by Barry Bacon Alicia

That's one of the reasons why PC is cheaper in the long run. If the console lasts you 6-7 years, then your paying another £240+.... Add that on top of your regular console+possible extra controllers+overpriced games and then PC becomes less expensive

Yah know what's even WORSE? The fact that PSN is constantly going down or getting hacked yet Sony still charge an insane price for an online membership...

Oh and also the free games on PSN are AWFUL. I used to play on XBL a few years ago (2011-2015) and the games they'd give for free were so good. You'd get games like gears of war, dishonoured etc for free.

All PS4 give out is these really bad indie games...

Oh and what's even worse? The fact they charge you for certain backgrounds/themes on the PSN store. They never did that when I used to play on XBL.

I'm glad I play on PC now xD If it wasn't for Persona 5, KH3, FFXV and Final Fantasy 7 Remake (FF is coming to PC anyway since Square love the PC. Nearly every FF game is on there xD. Rip console exclusives) then I wouldn't own a PS4. I bought the PS4 mainly for KH3.

As someone who's played on XBOX and PS. I'd say that Xbox live is a million times better than PSN. PSN is pretty bad.

As someone who owns an Xbox one, some of the games on Xbox Live are really nice, and I actually played them lol(my brother is the one who paid for the console and Xbox Live, I wouldn't have paid it else)

And that's honestly the only games that are not on PC that I have some interest(not including FFVIIR and KH3), and P5 will be released on the PS3 too. BlazBlue Central Fiction would have make it to the list if Akyss would make a dub, but I'll just wait until the extend version is out.

So yeah, I am glad there is no such stupidity on the PC. I am pretty much a PC gamer.

Oh and ALSO this

http://nichegamer.com/2016/08/22/playstation-plus-gets-a-price-hike-in-north-america/

BUUULLLLLLL

Wow, PSN got a price hike? How bull is that?!

Never paid for PS PLUS, never will. I hope to never own a console again if they don't get their crap straight next gen. If it wasn't for needing to sell PS4 and Xbone in Japan, FFXV (and probably way more other games) would have a simultaneous PC release, cause Square already knows the market!

Edited by Clouded Sun

BUUULLLLLLL

Wow, PSN got a price hike? How bull is that?!

Never paid for PS PLUS, never will. I hope to never own a console again if they don't get their crap straight next gen.

Now they are charging PSN members even more for constant updates every time you turn the console on, servers going down and getting hacked, bad free games and the ability to pay for overpriced backgrounds.

Now they are charging PSN members even more for constant updates every time you turn the console on, servers going down and getting hacked, bad free games and the ability to pay for overpriced backgrounds.

Thank you Nintendo for not making me pay for online multiplayer.

Edited by Clouded Sun

People who pledge allegiance to a hardware company annoy me more tbh. I play games to have fun. I don't sell my soul to rich people who, albeit, employ some creative people who care about gaming and gamers, yes, but don't care themselves at the top. I understand there's more important and dire things going on in the world than one of my hobbies. 

I love video games, I will play unmodded console games from both japan and the west and have fun, I will go on my PC and mod or play an mmo and have fun. Sometimes I find messing with my PC tiring and will play my consoles. Sometimes I want to craft a tailored experience or mess around with mods. To me the internet gaming community sounds like a bunch of complainers trying to tell others how they should game. The industry right now annoys me, but whatever, I just won't buy any new games for a couple weeks, months, year or two unless I really like it. That way I'm not buying into the hype and know how the game actually is. Maybe even by the time I get it some things have been fixed. Destiny came out in 2014 and I'm glad I didn't buy it that year. They all release too fast for me to play at once anyway since I can't possibly have enough time. I still play older games, from a couple years ago, or the last two generations, or even retro gaming, because they are still fun as hell, and or I haven't played through them yet. Maybe I'm just a gaming hippie? xD

Edited by Yuno Gasai

I don't think you should be paying to play online at all! It's not a privilege, PC, Nintendo, PS3 and even Xbox and PS2 never took that crap! It was only when the Xbox 360 came out that we had to P2P online, and after Microsoft made so much damn money off of that, Sony jumped the bandwagon.

This is from someone who has owned every PlayStation system (yes, even after Sony screwed me over with my Vita).

Damn it feels good to be a PC gamer.

I completely agree that it is a joke that we have to pay. There's nothing to justify having to pay €50 a year on the PS4 when all the other consoles under my tv (PS3 & Wii U) offer free online.

Xbox users will tell you that Xbox Live is an amazing service that is leaps above the PSN or Nintendo Network, but we do have that generation of people who paid for Live to blame for why PS+ is mandatory on PS4 for online on most games. I'm honestly dreading the thought of Nintendo having a similar subscription service on the NX.

I've definitely opted to buy more games on PC if there is online components I'm interested in.

For me at first, it was irksome, because I was used to playing online for free on my PS3!  And then the PS4 comes around, and I have to have a PS Plus Membership in order to play online! It bothered me to no end at first, but then, it didn't really become a problem, since now I have a job, and I can be able to manage my PS Plus Membership more, ya know? After it expires, I think I'm gonna get the Full Year offer, where I just have to pay once, and I don't have to pay for the rest of the year, ya know? :)