Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Stardustblade358

Cold hands, Warm hearts (V:LD 1x1 w/ Aqua7KH)

Get in nerds we're going on an emotional Domestic!AU roller coaster with the Voltron: Legendary Defender cast!

---

"Good afternoon, Mr.Shirogane! Good to see you again."

"Likewise, Coran."

The sound of children playing echoed across the halls of the Orphanage. The orphanage's director Coran led a familiar face through the halls, the young adult known as Takashi Shirogane, though better known by his nickname of Shiro. He was around 27 years old, more or less, a well accomplished student and hard worker who was known within the Galaxy Garrison as one of its youngest accomplished pilots, taking part of multiple missions, including that of the Kerberos Mission. However he had downgraded from piloting, becoming a well liked professor at the Garrison. Beginning with that, one thing led to another...and he had eventually come to this point where he had become an adoptive father to three wonderful young children. Now, he was here to adopt another one, a special one, in fact.

"I didn't realize that Katie didn't have any remaining relatives until the funeral." Shiro murmured. Coran sighed.

"Yes. Quite tragic the whole thing. All family members available were too far away or simply too distant to be able to take care of the child..."

"Thank you for allowing me to see her." Shiro said, a pained expression on his face. He had even gone to school with the oldest son, Matt Holt. "The Holts were a close friend even before the Kerberos Mission. I never expected for them to be taken away so...suddenly."

"No one did." Coran then gently patted Shiro on the shoulder. "Ready to see her?"

"Yes." Shiro said, a small smile appearing on his features. Coran nodded, leading Shiro down the hall, all the way to the play room where other kids were found, while the rest were either all around the building or even outside enjoying some fresh air.

"Right there." Coran said, suggesting to the young girl in green that sat on a table, concentrated on something on her own. Shiro blinked, gently moving towards Katie. He wondered if she would remember him? Maybe not. He had seen her when she was so much younger. He doubted she would remember him in anyway. Maybe his prosthetic arm, or his scar. Who knew.

"Hey Katie." Shiro spoke, a soft smile on his face as he gently knelt down next to her. "Do you happen to remember me?...I used to be good friends with your dad and brother."

The young girl in the green dress was utterly silent; she was secluded away from all the other kids. She was the only one playing by herself, fumbling with pens she dismantles. Springs of various sizes were scattered about. She seemed extremely focused on her work, for she didn't even notice two adults in the room before Shiro approached her. When the man knelt, Katie only looked towards his face, not in the eyes. She visibly shivered, shrinking away.

A soft sigh was heard as a man who was frantically tending to the other children came and went to take the pens away before Katie could explode the ink everywhere.

"Hi there Mr.Shiro." Came the young man who knew Shiro well from the stories he heard.

Katie sniffled and began to whine, eyes tearing up as shaky hands reached for the pens.

"Katie, please." Said the man with a frown. "Please excuse Katie... She recently just got diagnosed with autism and she really insists on having something to play with in her hands..." He looked to the director.

"I'm sorry, I have no idea where she got these from..."

Katie continued to sniffle and whine, soft yells escaping from her tiny lips. Slowly, her eyes wandered toward's Shiro's arm and at first she recognized it but in fear. She went to hide underneath the table, shutting down from the world.

Coran shook his head. "It's fine. We have enough pens to go around." Coran said with a soft smile, only for it to slowly fade into a frown as he saw Katie hide underneath the table. "Ah...sorry, Shiro." Coran murmured.

"There's nothing to be sorry about." Shiro insisted, gently feeling his prosthetic. It was natural for young children to fear the strange, the unusual, the unknown. Katie wasn't the first kid afraid of his arm, nor would be the last. The announcement of Katie's diagnosis did not deter him, instead it only added fuel to the already burning fire. This child had lost everything dear to her. He wouldn't stand by and watch her grow up scared of the world that had taken everything that was dear to her. He gently picked up pieces of the pens on the table, noticing the gentle dismantlement of the pieces. "She's very hands on." Shiro chuckled softly. He picked up a few more pieces in his hand and sat down on the floor, taking a peek underneath the table, but not stepping any closer in order to give Katie her space. "It's ok, Katie. I know my arm is...strange. But there's nothing to be scared about." Shiro spoke, gently picking up the pieces of one of the pens and trying to figure it out together, but purposely or not, failing to accomplish it. "You were able to take these apart with ease. Though I don't seem to be able to put them together." Shiro then extended his arm, pieces in his hand as he offered them to Katie. "How about you build it back together? Maybe you can show me how?" Shiro asked politely. Coran watched as he gently played with his fingers. After the accident, after the tragedy, after the funeral, Katie had become more lonely and reclusive...hopefully Shiro would be able to help her to open up again. Even just a little.

The man sighed, standing by the director with a soft frown.

"She... Doesn't speak much. Eye contact frightens her too." The caretaker spoke. Such description and responses the girl made her seem like an animal; a sort of puppy.

"Should we take her to her room?" The caretaker asked the director gently. He feared the girl was a lost cause- that there was no hope for her.

Katie hid further underneath the table when Shiro got on the floor. Her long fluffy hair darted about around her, acting as some sort of shield or blanket. Her hands twitched idly, for there was nothing to ease her desire.

When Shiro offered the pens, Katie shrunk away further, stairing hard away from the man. As she saw a few prices scattered to the ground, Katie couldn't help but reach forward for the pieces.

The caretaker shook his head at the scene. "She's going to ignore you. She can't-" his words paused.

Katie quickly snatched the pen pieces away like a squirrel would do with peanuts from a human. Right away she began to put it back together. Mid way through her work, she slowly looked towards Shiro only to stare at his arm again as if it was his eyes.

Slowly her eyes darted from his arm, to his chest, up his face, the scar, the hair... The eyes.

She immediatly pulled her gaze, eyes widening as the eyes imprinted itself in her mind. It struck a chord within her, unlocking the deepest corners of her locked away memories. Memories of her father and brother... Memories of the same man before her holding her on his lap and playing with her.

Katie with still shaky hands, reached forward to slowly touch Shiro's prosthetic hand. She ripped her hand away as if it burned her, only to reach forward once more. After feeling the soft surface, she tugged him forward to lead his fingers with the pieces. She played with his hand, using it as a tool to put the pen back together in order to teach him. Within a few moments the pen was good as new, although some parts were used from other pens.

The caretaker's eyes widened. "That's the first time she...!"

Coran couldn't have smiled wider if he tried. The interaction itself was like something magical of the sort. And though the caretaker meant well, his surprised expression and gasping silence brought a tad bit of satisfaction to him. Just a bit. Shiro watched in awe as Katie taught him to put the pen together. The actions alone were ever so vaguely reminiscent of her older brother when they studied together, trying to put something together in the middle of the night while the project was due only a few hours away. Their physical resemblance was nothing to joke about, either.

"Would you look at that." Shiro spoke, smiling as he took a closer look at the pen. It was good as new. It even clicked. Katie by all means, had inherited he father's skills, and her mother's wit all in the same. Maybe more. "Amazing. You put all of this together so fast. You're brilliant, Katie." He spoke, his words truthful and honest. Most kids if not all around her age would have simply thrown away a broken pen. But she was able to take it apart, fix it and make it work like nobody's business. That was definitely talent that needed help to bloom to its full potential. "I have a son, Katie. His name is Hunk. He likes to take things apart and build them back up too. He especially likes to rebuild old toys...though I really think you beat him when it comes to pens." Shiro smiled. "You can come with me to meet him if you want. He's not the only one. I have two more sons, Lance and Keith. If you would like...maybe you would like to meet them?" Shiro offered, beginning slow in efforts to avoid overwhelming her. "I know you have been staying here. But you can stay with me and them if you want."

Katie seemed to back away in the mentions of other people, although the more she looked at Shiro the more she felt safe. She couldn't really understand why for the man was still strange to her, but unconsciously her mind remembered this man as an ally. Her mind and heart wanted her to be with him, the only person she had a familiarity to in this cruel world. It was the closest thing she had to family.

She didn't give an answer and she still didn't give a word. She only just slowly crawled out of her little sanctuary, inched herself up Shiro's lap comfortably and wrapped her tiny arms around her neck. She kept the pen in her hand, clicking it idly which caused it to poke and prod at Shiro's neck, inflicting small marks of ink on him. She wrapped her legs around his waist.

"I-I...!" The caretaker dead panned, utterly appaled by Katie's responces. He slapped his hands on his cheeks, utterly shocked.

"K-Kat- I... What did she...- W-Wha..."

Shiro gently wrapped his arms around Katie, making sure to hold her tight as he stood up on his feet. His heart ached of both happiness and grief. The Holts would not be around to see this child grow, but Shiro promised himself, and Katie's family, that he would watch over her with his life. No harm would come to her. She would grow into a fine young girl, much for everyone to be proud of. He could feel it in his gut. Coran remained amused at the caretaker's expression, but quickly turned his attention to Shiro and Katie.

"Right. Ready to make it official?" Coran asked. Shiro was a good man. Katie could have not fallen into better hands, at least in his mind. He turned to the caretaker, clapping his hands together softly. "Help me out here now. Could you do me a favor and gather her things while I have Shiro sign some documents?" Coran asked, gently patting the caretaker on the back before leading Shiro and Katie to his office. There, with Katie in his arms still, Shiro sat down and began to sign the papers, making the adoption official through his signature. The same signature had brought other children into his life; Hunk, Lance, Keith, and now Katie. It felt like a dream, but his beating heart and the gentle warmth of Katie in his arms reminded him this was real. "And done." Coran said as he whisked away the papers, making copies of them and such. Shiro smiled as he stood up.

"Alright. Ready to go, Katie? Would you like to say goodbye to any friends?" Shiro asked, gently rubbing her head.

The caretaker was still shocked and couldn't even respond for a moment at the director's request. Finally, after a moment the caretaker snapped back to reality and nodded.

"W-What-? Oh yes! Yes of course!" He stammered, stumbling away as he rushed to go take care of Katie's belongings.

Katie hid her face into Shiro's neck, afraid of looking what was going on around her. Instead she just wanted to be with Shiro, attatched to him like glue. When Shiro asked if Katie wanted to say goodbye to her friends, Katie merely held her grip on Shiro tighter.

Meanwhile the caretaker stumbled back inside the room, holding a small green suitcase with a bow on top. He smiled, tears coming to his eyes as he wiped them.

"I can't believe this! This is so great- and I got all her things ready for you Mr. Shiro! She has all her dresses, underwear, her favorite blankey, hair brushes, toothbrush, socks, a pair of sneakers- oh no but she needs a new plushie though the other kids ruined it so she'll need a brand new fluffy friend- and I even packed her a small bag of the most complicated pens we have here- including one of yours director Coran I hope you don't mind..." He continued to ramble on, nervous and excited for Katie.

(Katie leaving and asking if she wants to say bye to her friends be like

txbP.gif

Edited by Aqua7KH

Coran smiled at the caretaker softly. "I don't mind at all. She could have all of my pens if she wanted to." Coran cooed as he shook Shiro's hand. "I'll see you around then, Shiro. Allow us to assist you to the car." Coran said as they all headed outside. Coran and the assistant set Pidge's belonging in the trunk of the car, Shiro buckling Pidge up in the back seat for the ride, making sure to leave her with the pen so she had something to do on the way home.

"You always know where to find us." Coran said with a soft gaze as he looked over at Pidge. Yes, he would miss her. But she was in better hands now. "Ill send you a copy of her medical records as soon as available."

"Thank you, Coran." Shiro said. He shook the caretaker's hand, then Coran's. "You guys are always welcomed by." He added. He got into the driver's seat, waving at the two. "Say goodbye Pidge." Shiro hummed, smiling at her reflection on the rearview mirror before driving off, Coran and the caretaker eventually disappearing in the distance.

The drive took about thirty minutes, more or less. Their surroundings changing from main city life slowly into the suburbs. Eventually they arrived at the one story house, Shiro pulling up into its driveway before parking the car. Simple looking enough, brick exterior with wildflowers decorating the grass, wooden fences separating the properties. He opened the door for Pidge, smiling. "Here we are."

The caretaker began to wave the two off, misty eyed as he watched Katie leave for her new life.

"Isn't this so great director?" The caretaker asked, so excited for the girl's future. "Do you think she'll like her new home?"

Katie looked down at her hands in the car, immediatly going back to fumbling with her pen. When Shiro left however, Katie started to cry and whine, inching her hands forward for the older male. As the car began to move, Katie placed her hand on the window.

Once they arrived at their destination, as soon as the door opened Katie practically threw herself on Shiro. She clung to his waist, climbing up is body to hug his neck. She managed to undo her seatbelt all by herself.

Coran looked back at the caretaker, gently patting his back. "Knowing Shiro," Coran said. "I really think she'll like her new home." Coran smiled reassuringly.

Shiro quickly wrapped her arms around Katie as she climbed back to hug him. Note number one, separation is not something she's fond of in any form. Hopefully after a few days of sharing with the other children she would be able to handle that a little bit better. Shiro most likely would have to go to give classes eventually after all. "There there Katie." Shiro said softly, holding Katie close as he closed the door. He took out her luggage and brought it over to the front door. He reached for his key and unlocked the door, opening it. "Look, its your new home." Shiro assured as he walked inside, holding Katie with one arm, her luggage with another. He gently pushed the door closed with his hips, hearing it click. The living-room was modest enough. It had a sofa, the wall behind it decorated with picture frames of himself and the rest of the kids. A TV with a wooden stand with shelves around it which was filled with items, ranging from books, to movies, and arts and crafts like a wire cat that Hunk had made. The floor was sort of a mess, toys laying around aimlessly. Beyond there was a kitchen and a dining room, with a large sliding glass window leading to the backyard. Down the hall were the three bedrooms and bathroom. Shiro gently set Katie down on the floor.

"This is your new home." Shiro said again, reassuring her that it was safe to walk around. He began to walk, carrying her luggage across the house. "Ready to see your new room?" Shiro smiled as he walked while looking back at Katie, making sure she was alright as he walked down the hall and opened up the door to a single room. It was simple enough, with a bed, a closet, a desk and chair, and a window with curtains. Surely as time passed Katie would begin to add her personal touches and make it her own. Of course, he had thought this through. This used to be the guest room, but now it was Katie's. She was going to be a girl among boys, so she would have her space. "Your brothers should arrive from practice soon. You can meet them then." Shiro said as he settled Katie's luggage on the bed.

Katie was certainly unwilling to take in her surroundings. The girl honestly didn't quite understand exactly what was going on, nor understand the fact that this was now her home. As far as she cared or was concerned, she was with Shiro. Honestly however she felt like she was merely at a new place for a few and will be going back to the orphanage.

Once Katie was put down, she made sure to keep up with Shiro. She panicked as he walked away, for she plodded her tiny little feet quickly in order to hug on his leg. She followed Shiro blindly where ever he went like a lost puppy. She even began to make small coherent sounds.

"N-Noo..." She whined, as Shiro continued to walk, for she wanted to be in his warm arms again.

Once Katie got to her room, she couldn't help but actually look around. She tried to understand the gravity of it- the fact that this was now her room. This was now her home.

Katie reached out to feel the soft blankets pooling from the bed, delighted at the unique texture stimulating her fingertips. When Shiro put her luggage on the bed, Katie tugged at his pants.

"Are you..." She slowly said, vocal chords strained from rare usage. "My daddy...?" Came the tiny voice, so small and soft that one would think it came from a ghost. Before the question could be answered however, a loud sound of a door slamming side opened came from the house.

"Lance is so stupid!" Shouted a hotheaded teen as he entered the house, plopping his backpack on the livingroom floor.

He stood there in the livingroom, eyes narrowing. Shiro's car was in the driveway, but he was nowhere to be seen... Something was afoot. The teen known as Keith always could tell when something was up.

"Shiro... I'm home!" He called. Immediatly going to investigate the house for anything out of the ordinary. Usually his hunches were right and his adoptive father was always up to something 'sinister.' Something was fishy.

Katie visibly jumped at the sudden loud noises and with a small cry she quickly climbed up Shiro's entire body like an utter spidermonkey all the way up to his head where she clung around him like a koala. Her small body covered his head and her tiny arms covered his face.

(I don't know if you want everyone to arrive at the same time, but it's up to you since you're controlling them. ^_^)

Shiro's heart melted at Katie's soft voice. He smiled softly and gently ruffled her head. "Yeah. I-" Shiro said began, only to hear the door opening and slamming and a familiar voice calling for him. Katie was quickly to climb back onto him, gripping on as if it were life or death. "You're a quick one, Katie." Shiro said gently as he carefully took hold of her hands, careful to not let her go so she wouldn't lean back and fall over. Though with that grip, that wouldn't be much of a problem. Maybe she would like to do acrobatics one day? Note taken down. "I'll be right there, Keith!" Shiro called, walking out of the room with Katie hanging on. He heard the door open and slam again.

"YOU LEFT US!" Lance called, sounding almost betrayed in his tone. Lance was always a dramatic. Always. He was also the type of kid that could never last a day without getting hurt one way or another, and would stay up at night wondering if pigeons had feelings, his mind always wondering. But was a very nice kid. "I THOUGHT WE WERE BROS KEITH."

"Don't scream Lance you'll get a sore throat again." Hunk spoke. Hunk could easily be described as a blessing child. He was the type of kid that would go along with any plan and any order and pretty much anything that came his way without a fight. Very easy going with the flow. Yet he was also a brilliant and curious child who could not keep his hands off complicated things, wanting to see what was inside. He and Katie would get along, Shiro thought. He just hoped the two powers combined didn't end up dismantling the entire TV one day, but that was just silly daydreaming.

"I'm guessing practice went well?" Shiro asked as he stepped into view.

"Keith left us behind!" Lance accused. However his gaze went directly to the tiny person on him. "...who's that?"

Shiro smiled, gently holding Katie in his arms. Keith, Hunk, Lance, this is your new baby sister, Katie." Shiro introduced, kneeling down and getting Katie on the ground again so she could see her brothers. "Katie. These are your brothers. Keith, Hunk, and Lance." Shiro introduced, his heart skipping a few beats. The introductions were always...scary. Because things could either go really really well...or very very bad.

Keith rolled his eyes and rubbed his temples as the loud brother entered the livingroom. Lance was the most annoying person in the entire world to Keith, always getting on his last nerves. Literally everything Lance ever did was just so stupid and unnecessary. That combined with Keith's hotheadednees, furry attitude and just the fact that he was a young teen alone caused the two to get into the most silliest fights. Keith did have to admit though he always loved it when he got to jab Lance somewhere when they wrestled.

"I didn't leave anyone behind." Keith uttered, glaring over at his brother. "You never take practice seriously. All you do is just complain and do the stupidest stuff ever. You kept tripping me the entire time with how stupid you walk!" He hissed at Lance, although his frustration settled down for a moment when he saw the little girl being put down on the floor followed by Shiro's words.

"..." Keith didn't really know how to react at first. A part of him felt initially sorry for the girl to have Lance for a brother and he was confused as to how the entire event happened. A random girl just entered their house and was now their baby sister. Could have he even foreseen this? Katie was adorable though.

Rubbing the back of his head, Keith tried to talk to the girl.

"Hi..." He looked to Lance and Hunk.

Katie wasn't fond of being put on the ground. As soon as she saw the boys, Katie hid behind Shiro's leg. Occasionally she peeked from behind here and there, but generally she did not like this one bit.

Shiro watched the interaction between them. He rubbed Katie's head gently, reassuring her that it was all ok. Lance's eyes seemed to gleam with curiosity at the new sibling, quickly piping up a conversation.

"HI KATIE!!!" Lance squeaked, smiling as he leaned closer to Katie, despite her gently hiding behind Shiro's leg. "I'm Lance! Nice to meet you! Where are you from?! Did you go to mister Coran's orphanage?! How old are you?!" Lance began, overall hyped of the newcomer. Hunk smiled gently and waved.

"Hi Katie." Hunk said as he tapped at Lance's shoulder. "You'll scare her."

"Me? I couldn't scare her! I'm the friendliest guy around! Friendlier than Keith that's for sure!!!" Lance laughed. Shiro sighed softly.

"Alright boys, listen." Shiro began. "I know it's a surprise...but Katie's family and I were good friends for years, and after some...unforeseen circumstances, she was left alone. So she will be part of our family now. Understood?"  Shiro said, smiling softly. "You guys are her big brothers now. You have a responsibility to teach her and put up a good example for her."

Lance nudged at Keith playfully. "Hear that, Keith? A good example!" Lance teased. Hunk gently extended his hand to Katie.

"Nice to meet you Katie! Do you want to play?" Hunk asked as he smiled, trying to pursue Katie out of her hiding place.

Katie instantly freaked out the moment Lance began to interrogate her. She started to cry, and climbed up to Shiro's waist where she clung to him. She dug her face into Shiro's chest.

Keith hissed and smacked Lance upside the head.

"See what you did?!" He asked Lance. "You scared her! Even she doesn't like you."

Katie continued to silently sob in Shiro's chest, although upon hearing an equally soft voice in Hunk's lips, Katie slowly turned her head to look at him, puffy red eyes and all. She sniffled, holding her pen tightly before she stuffed her face into Shiro's chest once more.

Lance was quick to respond to Keith's accusation. "What did I do?! At least I'm trying to be friendly! If anything she's most likely scared of your outdated mullet!" Lance hissed, pushing Keith back.

"Boys." Shiro said, bringing the two's attention forward again so they could calm down. Keith and Lance...were definitely rivals from the beginning until the end. Yes, they got on each other's nerves, but at the same time they pushed each other forward. To become better, to do better, and overall, just to be competitive with each other, which was healthy up to a point. Yet, despite how much they seemed to fight or get annoyed from each other, they really did care for one another, and loved each other as the siblings they were...from time to time. "Katie is...a very special little girl, so she is very shy right now. But she will warm up to you buys eventually. I want you guys to become good big brothers and set an example. So no loud fighting." Shiro said, saying these words as he glanced over at Lance and Keith. "Also, she really likes to put things apart and back again. So unless you're willing to allow her to do so, keep any special pens or buildable toys away from her reach. Understood?" Shiro added. Good. He looked down at Katie, gently rubbing her head. "These are your brothers, Katie. There's no need to be afraid of them. They're very nice." Shiro assured, gently kissing her head in reassurance.

Hunk quickly hurried over to pick up some of the toys around the floor, searching until he found one of their favorites; the Voltron buildable action figure! It was the five cat spaceships, that could be bent and twisted around to form Voltron, and then back into their individual cat space ships. It was a very popular toy now a days. "Look, Katie! It's Voltron." Hunk said, trying to gain Katie's attention, get her out of her shell. "You like to build stuff, right? Look." Hunk said as he tried to impress her with the Voltron action figure. He gently began to dismantle it, moving parts here and there as he slowly turned the toy back into the original five voltron cats individually; red, blue, green, yellow and black. "Isn't it cool?" Hunk asked, showing the toy off to Katie in hopes that it would get her attention. Lance quickly began to add to that.

"Now that we're five, we can form Voltron together!" Lance said playfully. "Dad has the Black Lion, I have the Blue Lion, Hunk has the Yellow Lion, Keith has the Red Lion, and you-" Lance picked up the green lion, offering it to Katie. "You can have the Green Lion!"

"Outdated- what are you even talking about?! You can't even make semi-decent insults at someone it's honestly kind of sad." Keith retorted, sticking his tongue out at the brother. Upon getting their attention snapped back into place by their father, Keith crossed his arms and grumbled, pouting. Lance was just that kid that you really, /really/ wanted to just punch in he gut automatically. Just something in that annoying face. Deep down though, he did love his brother and did get annoyed when others pointed it out too- like the time that he called a kid stupid in Kindergarden for picking on Lance, or the time he kicked a bully's ass in school.

"Understood..." Keith uttered.

Katie at first, wasn't having it. She huffed and crossed her arms with a mighty huff, pouting hard at Shiro with her tiny face. Something changed however, when the toy came out.

Katie's eyes widened and her eyes sparkled. She never saw such a thing in her entire life. It utterly facinated her and placed a spark within the girl.

At first she reached out her hands for it, before slowly sliding down Shiro. Once she was on the floor, she slowly waddled over like a squirrel cautiously. Once she was close enough, she slowly took the green lion into her hand. Upon taking it, a smile couldn't help but creep on her face. Green was absolutely her favorite color. She took the toy and turned behind to look at Shiro, raising it up in the air to show him it as if it was the coolest thing in the entire world.

Shiro smiled, nodding at Katie. "Yeah. It's pretty cool isn't it?" Shiro said as he rubbed Katie's hair gently. "Alright then. I'll get dinner started. You boys try to get to know your sister better, alright?" Shiro said as he looked down at Katie. "I'm going to get some food. You'll be ok with your brothers, right?" Shiro asked. He wasn't going to be very far. He would just be in the kitchen, which wasn't far at all. He stood up, turning as he walked over to the kitchen, preping up an apron to prepare some dinner for his little family. Lance smiled and sat down on the floor next to Katie. He was determined to be the best big brother ever. He picked up the blue lion, scuddling over to Katie so he could be sitting up next to her.

"Bewoom, bewoom! The Galra are falling back! Quick, we must assist the Green Lion from the giant." Lance cooed, moving his blue lion around and hovering it over Katie's head and around her as a whole, as if the toy were flying around her. "Nyooom."

"I want to play too!" Hunk said as he sat down next to Lance and Katie, picking up the yellow lion. "Yellow Lion reporting for duty!" Hunk said playfully as he moved it around, picking up another toy and pretended it was the enemy. "Quickly Katie! You must save us!" Hunk cooed as he made fighting sound effects. He then looked up at Keith, pointing at him with the Yellow Lion. "Keith! You must pilot the Red Lion before its too late. Noooooo~" Hunk said dramatically as he had the Yellow Lion 'crash' onto the floor along with him.

"Keith wouldn't want to play. He's too 'cool' for Voltron." Lance teased, sticking out his tongue. "Right, Katie?" They've never had a sister. Lance, from what he had seen at school, girls would play with dolls or some other stuff of the sorts. But they could totally teach Katie to play with Voltron!

Katie didn't quite liked the sound of that. When Shiro went to leave, Katie reached her arms out for him. Sadly however Shiro went to the kitchen, which felt like as far as another galaxy to Katie. What made it worse then was that everyone was around her. She didn't really know quite how to respond. She felt rather overwhelmed. With fingers twitching as she held closely onto her lion, she slowly got up and walked away, walking over to Shiro where she sat next to him on the floor. She hugged her legs, fumbling with the lion as she appeared to wait for Shiro to finish.

Keith rolled his eyes, which he quite does a lot to Lance. He rolls them so much he wouldn't be suprised if they fell out of his head. Keith immediatly responded to Lance's challenge, grabbing his lion and preparing for attack.

"Oh no, the pilot of the Blue Lion is the worst pilot ever, so the Red Lion has to come save him again and again." Keith said, plopping the Red Lion on Lance's head. "Red Lion ready for action. Yellow Lion and Green Lion, we have to save Black Lion from the evil clutches of broccoli and spinach!" Keith grimaced. "... And save ourselves from Blue Lion's stupid kick." He actually began to have a bit of fun, although Katie seemed to immediatly get up and retreat elsewhere. Keith stood up on his knees and sighed, looking at his two brothers.

"It's okay." Keith uttered to them, especially Lance who wouldn't get over it. He couldn't help but look at Shiro, feeling that there was something up he didn't know about. "..."

Lance whined, sticking out his tongue playfully at Keith. "I'm the best pilot ever! At least I can control a leg!~" He played with his blue lion before pausing, glancing over as Katie picked up hers and walked away. He looked at Hunk and at Keith in confusion. Were they that boring to be around? Lance would beg to differ, he was loads of fun if given a chance. Though he was this close to complain about it, Keith's words caused him to remain quieter than most times. "What's her problem?" Lance muttered under his breath, crossing his arms as he looked over at his brothers. "We're not boring, are we?" Lance asked. "Maybe she's just very shy. Dad did say so." Hunk said solemnly, though his expression did reflect worry for Katie. He and Lance had come out of the orphanage together, best of friends as far as they could remember, Shiro adopting them both much to each other's surprise. From Hunk's experience, children who were that shy straight out of the orphanage meant that they had suffered something before, physically or mentally. It was even more worrying of the fact that she would be shy around kids like her. Hunk turned to his brother, patting his shoulder. "Don't worry too much about it. Remember when we met Keith? He wouldn't let go of Shiro's leg for a week." Hunk assured with a smile. "Yeah but then he became annoying." Lance teased, a smirk on his face as he said so. Shiro hummed peacefully as he cooked something up. Some rice, with chicken, and of course, broccoli. Broccoli was a must. If the kids didn't have their greens they wouldn't grow strong enough. "Get settled down. Dinner's almost ready." Shiro called. "Lance repair the utensils, Hunk the plates, and Keith, get the napkins would you boys?" Shiro asked as he glanced down to where Katie had sat down. Green Lion in hand and everything. "Oh Katie." Shiro hummed as he rubbed Katie's head gently. He then picked up a broccoli and offered it to her. "Look. A tiny tree." Shiro cooed. Lance chuckled, getting the utensils on the table. "She'll stop falling for that eventually dad!" Lance smiled. Hunk gently set the plates down on the table, humming over at Lance. "I don't see why vegetables are that bad." Hunk murmured. "You're just weird, Hunk." Lance added, though he didn't mean it. "Ok boys, settle down now." Shiro said as he looked down at Katie. "Katie, we're getting ready to eat. Why don't you take a seat?" Shiro suggested, picking up the pots of food and beginning to set them on the table to be served.

Keith studied the girl, trying to figure out what could be the problem. Surely it wasn't them, but he still wanted to know what was going on. At first he was going to agree with Hunk, but straightened his face when Hunk mentioned the fact that he would cling to Shiro's leg.

"At least I don't fall after I'm kicking in soccer and scored a goal for the enemy team." Keith mused, putting his arms behind his head with a whistle. The best part about the bullshit Lance says was always having just the right responce. When Shiro announced dinner was ready, Keith huffed as he went to go get the napkins. He was probably the most reluctant to do his chores, always so stubborn and defiant. This main reason was why he could never get adopted before Shiro came along. He plopped the napkins on the table, sitting down after he was finished to eat.

"Shiro, can we talk after this?" Keith asked, his facial expression showing exactly what he wanted to talk about.

Katie remained quiet, although a soft smile inched on her face when Shiro offered the tiny tree. She took it in her hand and began to much on it happily, enjoying her broccoli. When Shiro announced that it was time for dinner, Katie approached a chair away from the boys and stood there, waiting for Shiro to sit down before she sat.

Lance and Hunk sat at their chairs, sitting next to each other. Shiro hummed, walking over and serving everyone up their meal, adding a few extra broccoli to Pidge seeing that she liked the vegetable. If they wanted more, they could just ask more from the pot. "Sure Keith, though there is something I wish to discuss with all of you first. I was waiting for the right time, and I think this should be a good time, seeing that we're all together." Shiro said as he sat down on his seat. Hunk and Lance had already began to dig in, pausing midway to listen to their dad. Shiro cleared his throat. "As you know, we have a new family member. Her name is Katie Holt. She used to have a family, the Holts. I was close to them, a family friend. I studied in the Garrison along with their son and Katie's brother, Matt, and I also accompanied him and his father onto the Kerberos mission. However there was a...tragic accident, which left Katie without anyone...so I have brought her into our family as one of our own." Shiro explained, repeating some things he had said already. "Now, Katie is...special. She was recently diagnosed with Autism. What kind is still being looked after. But because of this you will notice that Pidge might be a bit different, and she has to take medicine. But that is just the way she is, and we simply have to learn to get along with her, alright?" Shiro said with a soft smile as he began to eat. It was something they had to know, from early on especially. This was their sister, and they had to take care of her. "Understood?" Shiro asked again. Hunk and Lance slowly nodded, eating a few more spoonfuls, Lance sneaking his vegetables onto Hunk's plate when he was sure that Shiro wasn't looking.

Keith leaned back in his chair. So that's how it was. Katie's family was a friend of Shiro. Not only that, she has autism. Such a thing was quite difficult for him to understand at such a young age, even with his maturity. He couldn't glance at Katie, before ripping his gaze away to stare down at his food. He didn't really know how to process this, especially since such a family member was now apart of their household. With a small nod, Keith began to munch on his food, although he couldn't help but grin as he sneaked some of his own broccoli and Hunk's back on Lance's plate for punishment.

After Shiro sat down, Katie simply climbed up onto his lap and took her plate to start eating. She munched on her food quickly and efficiently, not seeming to enjoy it however. It was just food, a neccesary requirement to live. Once she was done after a few moments, she simply slid down from Shiro's lap, pulled a nearby box infront of the sink and stood on it. She began to wash her dish, hanging it up in the dish rack to dry before promptly plotting herself right on the floor next to Shiro and sat with her back against the legs of the chair. She began to fumble with her lion once more.

Keith stood silent, watching as the girl dissapeared from view due to the table. He scratched his head, almost glaring at Shiro. This was going to be a long week.

While Lance looked down absolutely baffled at how the vegetables never seemed to disappear from his plate despite constantly sneaking them into Hunk's plate, Shiro began to take mental notes on Katie. One, yes, she was shy, yet she had the capability of being very independent. She could eat on her own, and even washed her own dish and set it out to dry. Something that even Lance complained about doing from time to time. But her interactions were limited by herself. She still didn't speak much, and seemed to prefer to play with something on her own than invite others to play with her. It was only the first day. There was long enough time for her to become comfortable in her home and eventually become more active and social towards her siblings...hopefully. Lance and Hunk finished their dishes, hurrying over to wash them up and setting them to dry before hurrying over to Shiro.

"Dad!" Lance said smiling. "Can we watch Voltron? It should start soon!"

"Sure. But only one episode. Then you boys need to do any homework you might have." Shiro insisted. It was a Friday, but if they didn't do the homework early, they would end up putting it off until the very last minute. Lance and Hunk high-fived, running over to the sofa and jumping on it before turning on the TV, which was showing a small newscast before starting the show. Shiro finished his meal, glancing up at Keith.

"Are you alright, Keith? You don't have a stomach ache, do you?" Shiro asked with a soft smile. Oh a long week it will be. Shiro looked down at Katie and gently rubbed her head. "You can watch Tv with your brothers if you want, Katie." He encouraged.