Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
VisitJoan

If a full length Kingdom Hearts film were made, what would you want it to be based on?

If a full length Kingdom Hearts film were made, what would you want it to be based on?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. If a full length Kingdom Hearts film were made, what would you want it to be based on?

• Birth by Sleep
    • Kingdom Hearts
    • Chain of Memories
    • 358/2 Days
    • Kingdom Hearts II
    • Coded
    • Dream Drop Distance
    • I'd love to see and original storyline (Tell us your ideas below)

As much as I would love to see a Days movie (the manga was just hilarious), I have to go with Kingdom Hearts.  It doesn't have a lot of what I love about Kingdom Hearts, but with this series, it's best to start at the beginning.  I wouldn't want Birth by Sleep because it doesn't have a conclusive ending (and it isn't all that happy).  That would be like starting Star Wars with Episode III.  If a movie were to be made, it would want to be appealing to a broader audience.

Edited by AndrewHankinson

The first game clearly. The plot is very straightforward and free from the convoluted dribble that's introduced later on. The SDG dynamic is brilliant and the Disney worlds are all from the Renaissance era. Thus nostalgia can be used to attract a wider audience.

If a film were to be made, why would you not start at KH1? If you start at KH2 your obviously missing things and RE:COM would never appeal to a wide audience without a predecessor. I don't have to mention the other games since it's common sense to include them later on as sequels.

I wouldn't watch films of any of the others besides KH1.

Of course it can't be live action, a CGI movie would be perfect. Make it around 1 hr 30 minutes. But here's the kicker, you can't give all 12 worlds enough screentime, so scrap half.

Edited by Barry Bacon Allen

The thing is, I don't really want a movie. We already got 2 dissapointing cutscene movies and one based on X which looks promising. So I don't think a movie is necessary.

But if one is made I don't want it based on any game but instead offer a new perspective. Maybe have Xehanort's point of view and how he got to become who he is. That would develop his character and make a more interesting villain.

But all in all, I'd rather have an anime adaptation of the manga than a full length CG movie.

If they ever made a movie it shouldn't be based on any game. Or at least not tell the same story as the specific game. I just can't see how that should work, considering most cutscenes in the games are irrelevant to the overall story.

So either a completely new story, after KH3, or something we haven't seen yet. Like Mickey and Riku's story after the end of KH1 and Com.

A film based on Birth by Sleep could never happen. It's practically impossible to merge THREE different stories into ONE film...Same goes for Dream Drop Distance, too.

Edited by khsg

KH1 would be the easiest, but I always say if there was a show/anime for kh ,it should be not related to what we've already seen. For a movie, a new story and set of characters to enjoy is better than a watered down version that's going to divide the community, like comic book movies tend to do.

I think the Kingdom Hearts games are too voluminous and sometimes confusing (because of the huge amount of lore) to be adapted into a movie. They only work as games to me...could work as a TV show since they'd have more time to explain the lore but they definitely wouldn't work as movies. If they were to make a movie, they should try something original...Whether it ties into the game or not is optional. A Keyblade War movie would be great (although we have Back Cover coming)...maybe a movie on Skuld and Ephemer seeking the truth on Lux since Back Cover focuses on the foretellers and not them.

i wouldn't want a film but if one just HAD to be made i'd say the first game is a good contender because of it's simple story.  

since you wouldn't be able to cram in all the Disney worlds into a 90 minute feature, use the most relevant worlds

-Tarzan would be good to show the interaction and development of Sora, Donald and Goofy's friendship (but due to legal issues i'm sure this wouldn't happen so maybe just take that character development and put it into another world?)

-Agrabah to show how Maleficent is kidnapping the princesses of heart

-Monstro to show some more conflict between Sora and Riku

-Maybe Neverland just to round off the Disney worlds since it's (normally) the last world you visit before Hollow Bastion.

all the original worlds would be kept in as well, but that's just covering the Disney worlds. 

of course even with the barebones amount of Disney worlds, fitting it all into 90 minutes would be a nightmare. you'd have to trim down a lot of the excess gameplay sections.

maybe the events on Destiny Islands take place over the course of a day, Sora meets Leon as soon as he arrives in Traverse Town, etc. etc. It'd be like watching the game on fast forward and would surely wreck havoc on the pacing unless done carefully. 

honestly if they were to adapt the first KH game into a movie, there's no way they could fit it all into just 90 minutes. they could take the Persona 3 route and go with multiple movies.

if there was an original KH movie that would obviously work better because the story would be written based on the idea that it's going to be the plot of a 90 minute movie. i guess a side story involving Mickey, Donald and Goofy would actually be interesting to see. 

personally i don't really care about the Keyblade War parts of the series because it comes off as a generic fantasy legend backstory involving a great but vague war with many people involved. 

Something originial. I don't have a specific idea, but maybe something to do with KH3, preferebly about Sora, Riku and Kairi. Depending on what's in 0.2, it could be a prolog to KH3 (like Kingsglaibe to FFXV) or maybe an epilogue to KH3 if they release it after KH3, or maybe even a movie that leads up to the next saga

If a full length Kingdom Hearts film were made, while I would love to see the original Kingdom Hearts get turned into a movie, I would prefer to see an original story, like Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.  I don't know what it would cover.  I would have originally said Birth by Sleep Volume 2, but we are getting a short game of that story now (or at least, part of what it was going to be).  I don't know what else an original story could be about off the top of my head.  So, I would be up for anything.

In my honest opinion, if a Kingdom Hearts CG film were to be made, I would want it to have an original story instead of being an adaption of the games! Because then the director would have to compress so much content to fit a 90 minute run time, ya know? It's better that the film have an original story!  Just look at Kingsglaive!  It's based on Final Fantasy XV, but it's not an adaptation of the game, ya know?

For what story could be used, it could be after the events of Kingdom Hearts III, and that way, this film could serve as a nice bridging gap into the next saga! That would be ideal, and it'd give Nomura and his team a break from making KH games, as a film would distract us, ya know? :D

But don't make a movie based on the games!  I've always dreamed of the series becoming an anime series as well, because that'd be amazing!  For a movie though, an original story is the best way to go, ya know? :3

Something original. If it's Keyblade War based, then that would be fantastic.

You know that's what Back Cover is, right?

I'm basically echoing what everyone else says at this point, but while it wouldn't be impossible to turn the original Kingdom Hearts into a movie, there'd be no point to doing that if you weren't going to cut it down an awful lot, skim over important details in a game that skimmed over important details itself and end on a cliffhanger that promises sequels that can never be made because it would be near impossible to do any other game.

It'd be way more worthwhile to do something original, which is such an interesting topic all on its own. The question becomes whether the story is something from a point in the canon timeline, or something more creatively fresh within the vast possibilities this universe gives us. All these worlds, all these characters, all these franchises and elements to the universe. Anything could be done.

I'd personally be happy to see an original tale set with a new cast of characters somewhere outside the established events or places of the KH story as it stands. You'd have far more creative freedom over what kind of story you could tell, while still being established in the KH lore of keyblades, heartless, worlds, etc. If not that, I do think that a detailed look at Ansem and his apprentices is long overdue. It may not be the most action-packed story, but it's a story that needs to be told in one form or another.

Then again, I'd also be first in line to see a film where Buzz Lightyear travels the worlds in order to gather the forces of Hercules, Stitch, Elsa, Luke Skywalker, Lightning and Captain America in order to thwart the combined might of Zurg and Kefka. A ridiculous idea like that can work in Kingdom Hearts and it's always bothered me that Disney and Square Enix haven't capitalised on any of that potential. A movie would be a good excuse to run wild.

Something fresh and new: Just pull a Final Fantasy: Spirits Within and do a completely original story based on the themes and ideas of Kh, but not directly adapting any storylines or characters.

That's going to be a very unpopular opinion, I think.... 

You know that's what Back Cover is, right?

I'm basically echoing what everyone else says at this point, but while it wouldn't be impossible to turn the original Kingdom Hearts into a movie, there'd be no point to doing that if you weren't going to cut it down an awful lot, skim over important details in a game that skimmed over important details itself and end on a cliffhanger that promises sequels that can never be made because it would be near impossible to do any other game.

It'd be way more worthwhile to do something original, which is such an interesting topic all on its own. The question becomes whether the story is something from a point in the canon timeline, or something more creatively fresh within the vast possibilities this universe gives us. All these worlds, all these characters, all these franchises and elements to the universe. Anything could be done.

I'd personally be happy to see an original tale set with a new cast of characters somewhere outside the established events or places of the KH story as it stands. You'd have far more creative freedom over what kind of story you could tell, while still being established in the KH lore of keyblades, heartless, worlds, etc. If not that, I do think that a detailed look at Ansem and his apprentices is long overdue. It may not be the most action-packed story, but it's a story that needs to be told in one form or another.

Then again, I'd also be first in line to see a film where Buzz Lightyear travels the worlds in order to gather the forces of Hercules, Stitch, Elsa, Luke Skywalker, Lightning and Captain America in order to thwart the combined might of Zurg and Kefka. A ridiculous idea like that can work in Kingdom Hearts and it's always bothered me that Disney and Square Enix haven't capitalised on any of that potential. A movie would be a good excuse to run wild.

I'm sorry. I wasn't specific. What I meant was a Keyblade War based film based off the viewpoint of a Dandelion and a Keyblade wielder who fought in the war and how their paths have intertwined.

I have an idea:

How about an anime movie chronicling the time Sora was asleep during the events of 358/2 Days? No, I'm just saying another KH1 rehash with a different story. I'm talking about beyond that. Maybe Sora could see visions of the events of BBS and 358/2 Days, then probably just forget them because KH2.

Then, in a post-credit scene, we get a sneak peak of KH3 or maybe even something after that.