Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Soravids

Are these "console upgrades" really a good thing?

So Sony recently revealed the PS4 Pro, and while it does look neat, I have some concerns about the whole concept of it. Remember, one thing many console gamers love about console gaming is it's simplicity and consistency (Not having to upgrade them all the time, like you would commonly do with a smart phone). Do we really want to reward this type of marketing and turn consoles into something inconsistent? What if it gets worse next gen because we rewarded this gen? It's kind of like the New 3DS. It had one game that could only run on it. It was just one, but it was still alarming. If they do this AT ALL with PS4, it would hurt their business, and ultimately make console gaming less popular.

This move was probably mostly inspired from the obsession with FPS. Instead of saying "I hope this game has fun gameplay, a good story, good music, and is overall a good experience", a lot of people say something like "What's the FPS? Less than 60? NO!!!!". I always said constant complaining about frame rate would be bad for the industry, and it was. I wanted to be wrong, but I was right.

What are all of your thoughts on this? Let me know!

I think they're pointless cashgrabs. If Sony and Microsoft were able to make consoles more powerful than the current ones, why weren't they the original versions of the Ps4 and Xbox-One? 

IMO, the upgrades are so small that they're not enough to shell out $400/500 dollars each, plus it devalues the originals and shits on some of the people that bought each console at their respective launches (Not everyone is going to buy the Neo/Scorpio and feel that way, however).

So Sony recently revealed the PS4 Pro, and while it does look neat, I have some concerns about the whole concept of it. Remember, one thing many console gamers love about console gaming is it's simplicity and consistency (Not having to upgrade them all the time, like you would commonly do with a smart phone). Do we really want to reward this type of marketing and turn consoles into something inconsistent? What if it gets worse next gen because we rewarded this gen? It's kind of like the New 3DS. It had one game that could only run on it. It was just one, but it was still alarming. If they do this AT ALL with PS4, it would hurt their business, and ultimately make console gaming less popular.

This move was probably mostly inspired from the obsession with FPS. Instead of saying "I hope this game has fun gameplay, a good story, good music, and is overall a good experience", a lot of people say something like "What's the FPS? Less than 60? NO!!!!". I always said constant complaining about frame rate would be bad for the industry, and it was. I wanted to be wrong, but I was right.

What are all of your thoughts on this? Let me know!

I think they're pointless cashgrabs. If Sony and Microsoft were able to make consoles more powerful than the current ones, why weren't they the original versions of the Ps4 and Xbox-One? 

IMO, the upgrades are so small that they're not enough to shell out $400/500 dollars each, plus it devalues the originals and shits on some of the people that bought each console at their respective launches (Not everyone is going to buy the Neo/Scorpio and feel that way, however).

This isn't anything new really, Sony makes different versions of the first console which can make you feel like you should have just waited or your glad you bought one before this. I think Microsoft makes different versions of the Xbox as well and at least with Playstation they are upgrading ALL Ps4s to HDR ( Which IMO sounds better than 4K to me), so all you will need is a HDR tv. I don't think it's hurting the community, if you have some extra money and/or really care about all the stuff the Pro is offering then get it, but if you don't then don't. Since HDR is coming to the current ps4's, I feel I can hold off on getting one without feeling to left out, but I most likely will get one around the Ps5 or something. Plus, for what they are offering, the Pro isn't that expensive (I don't know how much the scorpio is).

Edited by Kingdomhe

The endless fight of 1080p/60fps is stupid.

It might be annoying, but back in the day we didn't had to worry about such things.

Forget the graphics! a good gameplay, story or music was all we needed before, but people these days are like "60fps, 4k! Better graphics!"

I wish we could go back to those days when we had a good time and didn't had to worry about those things.

No one's forcing you to buy them. I don't care for the PS4 Pro, but I upgraded from a standard 3DS to a New 3DS XL and haven't looked back since. They're just for people that want to get the most out of a system. The price might not always seem justified, but it won't kill the industry.

It's kind of like the New 3DS. It had one game that could only run on it. It was just one, but it was still alarming. If they do this AT ALL with PS4, it would hurt their business, and ultimately make console gaming less popular.

The New 3DS has more than one exclusive, but they're all just mobile ports of games on consoles. It's for people that want to play them on the go, the games are still readily available elsewhere. It's not "alarming" that these systems have exclusives, Xenoblade would have never run on the standard 3DS. That's just one example.

Also, saying that this is going to make console gaming less popular is a huge jump from just talking about updated systems. I doubt that many people will quit buying consoles just because their PS4 can't play in 4K 60FPS.

At this point they're harmless, but pointless.

If you care that much about specs (which isn't a bad thing), then stick with PC gaming. The launch of the PS4 Pro is going to be an eye opener for Sony, and jopefully Microsoft as well.

Honestly, I'm not too big of a fan of such constant upgrades, ya know?  I say wait for next gen to bring out the new big guns, and let the current consoles enjoy their life cycle, ya know?  For instance, I have a normal PS4, and plan to keep it, because it's worked just fine for me!  

Different versions of consoles isn't exactly a new thing, though.  Back then, we'd get Slim versions of PS2's and PS3's and XBox 360's as well, but at least they were just slim models that had basic perks and whatnot.  But this current wave of console upgrades that bring more tech than their normal counterparts might cause some people to worry, since they'll think the purchase they made was a waste, ya know?

I have no idea how this is gonna pan out, but I just hope that there aren't big consequences! D:

Edited by The Transcendent Key

It might be annoying, but back in the day we didn't had to worry about such things.

Forget the graphics! a good gameplay, story or music was all we needed before, but people these days are like "60fps, 4k! Better graphics!"

I wish we could go back to those days when we had a good time and didn't had to worry about those things.

We always worried about these things they were called the bit wars. 

We always worried about these things they were called the bit wars.

Perhaps, but we didn't had to suffer the console upgrades like with the newest generations of gaming consoles.

At least I don't remember that.

I really don't like this,especially if there are game exclusive to the new version of the system.It sucks when the new version has exlusive features too like the DSI shop or the SNES virtual console,now I wonder if I should buy the NX at launch or will they make the "NX Neo" with tones of new features better framerate,etc.

I don't know if they did this for a lot of New 3DS games but its really stupid what they did for Hyrule Warriors Legends,the game is playable on 3DS and New 3DS but if you play on the regular 3DS the game runs like shit,it may as well be a New 3DS exclusive.What if the same thing happen with PS4 and PS4 Pro games.

I really hope we don't see that kind of thing happen too often,it really needs to stop

This is why I have a gaming PC, I knew this would happen, the PS4/XBoxOne are pretty much PCs upgrades aren't out of the question. 

At least for me I only have to upgrade 3 parts  of it, and keep the parts I want  to keep 

I only need to upgrade the motherboard and CPU(6 years), and or GPUs(4-7 years)

Perhaps, but we didn't had to suffer the console upgrades like with the newest generations of gaming consoles.
At least I don't remember that.

Sega 32x, but granted that died horribly

This is why I have a gaming PC, I knew this would happen, the PS4/XBoxOne are pretty much PCs upgrades aren't out of the question. 

At least for me I only have to upgrade 3 parts  of it, and keep the parts I want  to keep 

I only need to upgrade the motherboard and CPU(6 years), and or GPUs(4-7 years)

Sega 32x, but granted that died horribly

So instead of the 1080/60 this is about Console/Pc?

I only care to have a good time with a game. Don't really care about graphics, 60fps, consoles OR pc.

That's just me and I respect everyone's opinion on the subject.

No one's forcing you to buy them. I don't care for the PS4 Pro, but I upgraded from a standard 3DS to a New 3DS XL and haven't looked back since. They're just for people that want to get the most out of a system. The price might not always seem justified, but it won't kill the industry.

The New 3DS has more than one exclusive, but they're all just mobile ports of games on consoles. It's for people that want to play them on the go, the games are still readily available elsewhere. It's not "alarming" that these systems have exclusives, Xenoblade would have never run on the standard 3DS. That's just one example.

Also, saying that this is going to make console gaming less popular is a huge jump from just talking about updated systems. I doubt that many people will quit buying consoles just because their PS4 can't play in 4K 60FPS.

That's not the point. Sure, it's that way now, but if this behavior is rewarded who knows what it will extend to. Consoles might turn into something like smart phones that we have to upgrade every 6 months just to stay in the loop. This a "testing waters" move, and I and many others don't like it.

So true. The days when people actually cared if the game was good, and not if the frame rate was a little "slow" or not. Some people care so much about frame rate they'll call a game that is complete garbage amazing simply cause the frame rate is good.

I kind of see your point. Rather than giving us the best possible console each gen, this might inspire companies to launch a sub-par console so they can get more money for a better version better. Thst being said, if I could trade in my current PS4 and just pay 100-200 for the Pro and keep my downloads, I might consider upgrading.

Honestly, I'm not too big of a fan of such constant upgrades, ya know?  I say wait for next gen to bring out the new big guns, and let the current consoles enjoy their life cycle, ya know?  For instance, I have a normal PS4, and plan to keep it, because it's worked just fine for me!  

Different versions of consoles isn't exactly a new thing, though.  Back then, we'd get Slim versions of PS2's and PS3's and XBox 360's as well, but at least they were just slim models that had basic perks and whatnot.  But this current wave of console upgrades that bring more tech than their normal counterparts might cause some people to worry, since they'll think the purchase they made was a waste, ya know?

I have no idea how this is gonna pan out, but I just hope that there aren't big consequences! D:

I just hope this isn't heavily rewarded, and turns out to make consoles the new smart phones... :/ No offense to anyone, but people are spoiled these days.

So instead of the 1080/60 this is about Console/Pc?

I only care to have a good time with a game. Don't really care about graphics, 60fps, consoles OR pc.

That's just me and I respect everyone's opinion on the subject.

It's more about options, and how much it sucks to have limited hardware and the sad part is the PS4 Pro doesn't even have the option to have a more powerful GPU if you don't like your performance.

The only updates that seem good to me are in regards to the PS4 slim. You save space, money, and energy. That's going green the right way for you.

The PlayStation 4 Slim is horribly priced I mean for 100 bucks for you get a much power powerful system.

The PlayStation 4 Slim should have been 199-250, they should have at least made the gap between price bigger

This is nothing new. It's part of a constant cycle, and is now the norm in technology.

What we can't or what we choose not to update with software, we go the route of upgrading with hardware. Distributors distribute, consumers consume. We buy one thing, we trade in for the new thing.

So Sony decided to release a new Playstation 4 console that serves better to the tastes of the graphics whores, while also implementing their slim model as the new standard in new releases for what will now be the "standard" edition... so what? Life goes on.

That's not the point. Sure, it's that way now, but if this behavior is rewarded who knows what it will extend to. Consoles might turn into something like smart phones that we have to upgrade every 6 months just to stay in the loop. This a "testing waters" move, and I and many others don't like it.

It's not testing waters for crapping out new hardware models every year, it's giving more options to people that want to do new things with their game systems. We won't need to get a new console every 6 months, and these current upgrades aren't even necessary unless you want a few hardware boosts. You can skip out on the PS4 Pro or the New 3DS and still not miss out on anything major. These variants/upgrades have always been done in the past; look at the Gameboy Color compared to the original Gameboy, or the PS2 Slim compared to the PS2. This is just a way to offer even more variety. If you don't want the best hardware available, that's fine. Skip on the PS4 Pro, New 3DS, and the new Xbox models. Again, you're not being forced to upgrade as they don't offer a drastically new experience.

people really misunderstand what's going on. the PS4 got remodeled and became more efficient, they didn't make anything exclusive for one or the other, if you want HDR it's coming to the original ps4 too. The upgraded peripherals will work on the original too, the only reason you should buy that ps4 is if you didn't already have one or your old one broke down. Pro is just more powerful. Excuse my language, but it was made for the tech wh*res of the PS community, the people who just have to be on the cunning edge. It would be different if sony made a product that was so different that developers would have to make games exclusively for Pro or standard. It's not a cash grab. it's if you need a new ps4, here's one that works more efficiently; or if you want a ps4 that consistently has better graphics here's one that does that. A cash grab would be: here's a new ps4, we have changed the system and new games will have to be played on it or you won't be able to play them at all.

This is nothing new. It's part of a constant cycle, and is now the norm in technology.

This. tbh I've found console upgrading to be annoying for a while lol. Maybe it's because I've basically been pretty behind, but I feel like upgrading and then getting enough games to justify having gotten said console is... a lot. Cost-wise No regrets about Wii U/XCX tho Idk it's just a personal thing I guess

the only reason you should buy that ps4 is if you didn't already have one

Basically me rn lol damn you KH3 and Tales of Berseria

Also Dustin's argument can be used for the New3DS as well. Either you don't already have a 3DS and get a New, or you're like "Damn this is too good" and get one (because even though I don't have one it is pretty good imo) it's just if u got the cashmoney

Edited by Xiro

This isn't anything new really, Sony makes different versions of the first console which can make you feel like you should have just waited or your glad you bought one before this. I think Microsoft makes different versions of the Xbox as well and at least with Playstation they are upgrading ALL Ps4s to HDR ( Which IMO sounds better than 4K to me), so all you will need is a HDR tv. I don't think it's hurting the community, if you have some extra money and/or really care about all the stuff the Pro is offering then get it, but if you don't then don't. Since HDR is coming to the current ps4's, I feel I can hold off on getting one without feeling to left out, but I most likely will get one around the Ps5 or something. Plus, for what they are offering, the Pro isn't that expensive (I don't know how much the scorpio is).

I'm with you on this. This isn't anything worth getting worked up over. 60 fps isn't a bad standard to look up to, if anything I feel that it's amazing that we've advanced so far in the world of gaming that we can even worry about fps as the next hurdle to jump over. It's just another link in the chain that is progress. And besides, they made it explicitly clear that regular PS4 users are not going to have an obsolete experience, the Pro is just an alternative for gamers who have the extra time, money, and interest in getting something that delux. This is just giving you more options rather than making one super-console that you either have or don't have, this way no one gets left out. If you have the means to buy and enjoy it, then get it, good for you, but if you don't then don't sweat over it, you'll still get an awesome experience with the PS4 and the HDR upgrade that's coming, you're still getting an enhanced experience either way.

And seriously, console add-ons are nothing new, we've been "rewarding" game companies like Nintendo, Sega, and Sony for releasing multiple versions of the same console for years (I mean the Sega Genesis/CD/32X anyone?). It's not a new trend that needs to be stamped out, it's just an already existing part of the cycle that we just accept for the most part.

I don't really care about the frame rate or quality of a game. I already have a PS4, so in my opinion, getting this new one is pointless. The most important aspect of a game is gameplay, not graphics or frame rate.

I mean, if people are excited for the PS4 Pro, then good for them, glad they got something to look forward to, but I don't really think it deserves so much praise or attention. A higher frame rate and quality isn't gonna change how much fun I'm gonna have with the game. I'd rather spend my money on something worth it right now. If I DIDN'T have a PS4, then I'd probably buy this, but since I already have one, it's not really that worth it.

What we can't or what we choose not to update with software, we go the route of upgrading with hardware. Distributors distribute, consumers consume. We buy one thing, we trade in for the new thing.

So Sony decided to release a new Playstation 4 console that serves better to the tastes of the graphics whores, while also implementing their slim model as the new standard in new releases for what will now be the "standard" edition... so what? Life goes on.

That's exactly how I see it. Where was that backlash when the New 3DS was introduced at the time?

people really misunderstand what's going on. the PS4 got remodeled and became more efficient, they didn't make anything exclusive for one or the other, if you want HDR it's coming to the original ps4 too. The upgraded peripherals will work on the original too, the only reason you should buy that ps4 is if you didn't already have one or your old one broke down. Pro is just more powerful. Excuse my language, but it was made for the tech wh*res of the PS community, the people who just have to be on the cunning edge. It would be different if sony made a product that was so different that developers would have to make games exclusively for Pro or standard. It's not a cash grab. it's if you need a new ps4, here's one that works more efficiently; or if you want a ps4 that consistently has better graphics here's one that does that. A cash grab would be: here's a new ps4, we have changed the system and new games will have to be played on it or you won't be able to play them at all.

You don't get it though. They are testing their waters with this. If we reward them this time, it very well may get to that point next gen. Not worth the risk to me.