Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Heavens Fang

Game modes and Fighting games: Is this a bigger problem or is it just me?

I don't usually use this forum for getting answers and generating discussions but I want to talk about this issue I have been having when it comes into getting more into fighting games because I want to get this off my chest. This has been bugging me for some time now ever since the announcements of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and the news and release of Tekken 7 and I feel like this needs to be addressed. 

If you have been surfing on the internet and looking up video game related topics hoping to find more news about what games you want to get you may have come across lots of vloggers (i.e. Maximilian Dood and AwpWilliams) talking about how hype they are for having their favorite fighting game franchise finally releasing a sequel after a long time (i.e. Tekken 7 and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite) and are super excited to play it and talking about how much content in it and even going as far as to make jabs (unwarranted or not) at other fighting games for not having a lot of content by comparison. 

And this is where the whole content thing kind of bugs the more I am thinking about it. 

For example I believe the developers of the Marvel Infinite talk about how they are going to put a lot of single-player content in to bring in more casual audiences into trying out the game and buying it compared to other games. After looking through the new information about the content (http://archive.is/vfhrL), it honestly does not have a lot. Now I know from an external viewpoint, it seems like an okay deal since it has content you will expect a fighting game to have. The thing is however, it is just the same things you will expect, but there is nothing actually new. No new game modes which have different gameplay styles like a beat-em up, character creation, or anything else that wants me to spend over $100 to play it or even come back to. 

Tekken 7. Same problem for me (http://archive.is/SxJ9I). The news and advertisements for Tekken 7 make statements about making having lots of single-player content, but the modes don't really stand out compared to other games like Blazblue Calamity Trigger, and Mortal Kombat 9. I also read from articles like shoryuken.com and playstationlifestyle.com that the story mode for Tekken 7 is actually very short and not even that great despite all the hype around game. 

I understand that both of these examples I mentioned before are good games since the majority of the reviews online proved that to be the case, but I honestly feel that if I am going to spend around hundreds of dollars on deluxe editions of the game just so I can catch up to pace with other players online, I would rather spend it on a game which actually has a lot of good and unique/interesting content to make me spend that large amount of money and not just on merchandise like figures and LED stones and cosmetics like new characters and costumes. 

Personally if I want to get into a fighting game franchise/fandom by going into a new recently released game, I would rather have more fun features for other people to do while playing the games rather than just be concerned about whether or not this new character is going to play in a way that want him/her to play or whether this character is going to appear or not and patches and buffs/debuffs.

The reason I bring this up is with with the release of the new DLC character in Street Fighter V, some people on twitter are a little too despondent with their reactions to the point where their claims are little too personal. Like I think there is one person who said he can't memorize her combos because they are too long and his old age can't keep up. I don't know about you but I am the only who felt that the statement gives the impression of him being so spoiled and pampered that he is not happy about how the character will play for him only. 

I know the character is not out yet and I have not played as her yet and I am not saying he represents everyone else's reactions but I still feel like people are just letting their emotions getting the better of themselves and not really thinking about what really needs to taken into consideration. 

Because when you really think about it, whether or not you like the character or not; once you play the game again online, who wants to fight nearly the same person over and over again using the same main character over and over again. I mean I want to do something outside of just fighting other people online all the time or against CPU's in a fighting game format. 

I know this sounds very long-winded and ranty, but I just want to get this out of the way. This is made very recently so if anybody wants me to clarify my points in further detail be my guest. Simply put I just want fighting games to have more unique stuff aside from changes in gameplay mechanics. 

Edited by Heavens Fang

Well, the climate nowadays has become very different for video games. It's like an ever evolving cycle, and fighting games are always on their toes, trying to find new ways to improve and stay relevant in the ever competitive gaming market, ya know?

I get what you mean, though. If I'm gonna spend money on a game, I want to ensure that I'm getting the bang for my buck and not just some game with empty content, ya know? So I can understand where you're coming from! There's nothing we can really do, because this is all becoming a strategy so that developers can put DLC's in their games so they can last a good many years while they work on a new projects. It's how the world is working now in terms of DLC's, both for fighting games and otherwise, ya know?

Edited by The Transcendent Key

Well, the climate nowadays has become very different for video games. It's like an ever evolving cycle, and fighting games are always on their toes, trying to find new ways to improve and stay relevant in the ever competitive gaming market, ya know?

I get what you mean, though. If I'm gonna spend money on a game, I want to ensure that I'm getting the bang for my buck and not just some game with empty content, ya know? So I can understand where you're coming from! There's nothing we can really do, because this is all becoming a strategy so that developers can put DLC's in their games so they can last a good many years while they work on a new projects. It's how the world is working now in terms of DLC's, both for fighting games and otherwise, ya know?

I understand the idea of developers putting in DLC later on so the game can last for a long time, but even then I still want to have fighting game franchises in general nowadays to have lots of interesting and well-made content to convince me to try out a fighting game and spend $60 on launch date. I don't want the majority of DLC of any fighting game or even with any game in general to end just being quality-of-life enhancements if you know what I mean, especially if you have you have to pay extra money just so you can get that quality-of-life enhancement. I don't expect every DLC to be free and I understand companies having their own rights to have somebody pay for content, but at the same time I still wish something like what I said before should have been in the game from the start. I mean didn't Tekken 7 had a Tekken Bowling mode where you have to pay for it or at least pay the $20 season pass just to get it? I know it does not sound like a quality-of-life enhancement but when you researched the Tekken games they have something like Tekken Bowl or something which is different and fun outside of the main core game to make want to come back. 

Edited by Heavens Fang

I understand the idea of developers putting in DLC later on so the game can last for a long time, but even then I still want to have fighting game franchises in general nowadays to have lots of interesting and well-made content to convince me to try out a fighting game and spend $60 on launch date. I don't want the majority of DLC of any fighting game or even with any game in general to end just being quality-of-life enhancements if you know what I mean, especially if you have you have to pay extra money just so you can get that quality-of-life enhancement. I don't expect every DLC to be free and I understand companies having their own rights to have somebody pay for content, but at the same time I still wish something like what I said before should have been in the game from the start. I mean didn't Tekken 7 had a Tekken Bowling mode where you have to pay for it or at least pay the $20 season pass just to get it? I know it does not sound like a quality-of-life enhancement but when you researched the Tekken games they have something like Tekken Bowl or something which is different and fun outside of the main core game to make want to come back. 

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Developers should definitely have all the modes that they want to have in their game available from launch, but nowadays, they're taking a more money-grubbing approach to things, sadly. Hence, incomplete games!

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Developers should definitely have all the modes that they want to have in their game available from launch, but nowadays, they're taking a more money-grubbing approach to things, sadly. Hence, incomplete games!

It's not so much I have a problem with developers charging content, I mean like I said before they do have rights to which content they want us to pay money for. It's a little more so to how it feels like most people are not really thinking clearly about what they are hyped for and are not taking into consideration what is going on with the fighting game coming out (i.e. Marvel Infinite and Tekken 7). What I mean is from an excited persons external viewpoint, it seems like everything is going okay, but when you dig deeper with research and comparisons to other games within the same franchise, you might notice the game feels like its lacking more than it should have been marketed for (When you really think about it Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has more content than Tekken 7 and that's a spinoff game). I mean I know with fighting games the gameplay obviously comes first and foremost with new mechanics and see how fun the game should be, but with that logic I thought like, "Okay but what about all the other single-layer modes they said and promised us"?, I mean have more things to do in the game instead of just relying too much on the core mechanics and find more stuff to make the game more fun and bigger and better than the last entries beforehand?" I have seen people talking about it in some videos posted by vloggers like Awpwilliam's Tekken 7 Wishlist video but from my experience I don't see this talked about often. It seems like they are just talking about the core mechanics and only the core mechanics. It almost feels like they are not treating their games like they're games and almost like a utility.

Do you know any other videos which talked about this?

Edited by Heavens Fang