Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
star7crystal

Text English Translation of Kingdom Hearts II Other Diamonds Episode 2 The Twilight Short Stories Volume 1

Kingdom Hearts II Short Stories Volume 1: Episode 2, The Twilight

This translation is finished and was done by me. It's also on my LiveJournal alongside the translation of Episode 1 Nothing But Blue.

THIS IS AN UNOFFICIAL TRANSLATION. IT IS NOT WORD-FOR-WORD, BUT DONE SO THAT ENGLISH-SPEAKING PEOPLE MAY UNDERSTAND IT. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO REPOST AND CRITICISE. Enjoy! star7crystal

Note: This is written from Namines point of view.

By Tomoko KanemakiDraft: Tetsuya Nomura, Nojima Kazushige

The light of the sun shone through the large windows.I stare blankly out of the slight opening in the curtain.It’s called a haunted house because it is far away from the view of the people, there is little sign of people here. Sometimes all that can be heard is the voices of the birds out in the woods in the front of the mansion.In just this room in the sunlight, I am able to see the forest properly. I am in a pure white room, similar to Castle Oblivion, but it is in here that I don’t hate being alone.Axel and Riku remained the same since I left.Because I don’t get to interact with other children I cover the walls in drawings that I draw in my sketchbook, alone in this room. I am drawing Axel and Riku today.Riku, not the appearance of Ansem. Riku from the time that he was in his original form. Axel is eating ice cream.It’s a place where those two men could laugh.Axel and Riku get along very well somehow. Since Riku has become a figure of Ansem, I don’t speak much with him, but he laughs like a different person when he eats Ice cream with Axel. Axel says he “Laughs to face bad feelings”, but it seems that Riku isn’t a bad person.After, Axel likes sea salt ice cream.You’ve eaten sea salt ice cream ever since you moved to that house. I think that you’re eating all the time! I wonder how you don’t break your stomach! Axel too often disappears to eat ice cream. There’s a lot in the refrigerator of the computer room.When I met Axel for the first time in Castle Oblivion, I never imagined that he would become like this.You seemed like a bad person.After knowing Roxas’s memories, you no longer seem like a bad person.

Closing the curtain, I sit down in a chair.Laughing, I had drawn Axel and Riku just now.It’s a little sad to say that I like to paint this much.I am accustomed to spending time by myself.I’d spent days in this mansion and a year in Castle Oblivion, mostly alone. Although now Sora is sleeping, we almost barely see each other.Therefore it’s different to being lonely.But it is boring.It isn’t too boring while I’m with Axel and Riku.

The two tell me about Sora going to a variety of worlds.Then talk about the world’s movements and institutions by three.From Donald, Goofy and Sora, Roxas too, Also my friend the Replica. I was never to talk to someone like this.From birth- I don’t remember most things including birth, but my memory is surrounded by people from the Organisation in Castle Oblivion like me, because I was one.So funny you are in three people.I thought it might be lonely for you, but perhaps not now.I think I know that there is no heart for me and that this is lonely.I tilt my weight on my chair so that it leans back and sigh a little.It didn’t fall over on its back, come to think of it Axel had tilted further back in the past.I give a small laugh which echoes in the quiet room, as I remember it.Oh, maybe I am still lonely after all.I don’t know whether Axel will come back with Riku.Although I surely hope that the two guys will come back, I think they might be lying about coming back after all.He is pressed for time ‘cause he’s busy with the Organisation.

I stop moving by stopping tilting the chair.

What good would I be if It weren’t for the two of you?I just didn’t know.I can’t think about the two men disappearing on me now.

I stare in the sketchbook at Riku and Axel.Unexpectedly, a person’s voice is heard from outside the house. I look up.Is someone……coming?

I pull the curtain gently and look over at beyond the garden of the mansion. “It’s useless even to come here” “It’s supposed to have some kind of ghost” “I-I will leave again”I see the troubled face of the fat boy between the older boy in command and the girl. It was Olette and Pence with Hayner.I know all three of them well. It was the “arrangement” of friends for Roxas in the fake town that was created just a short while ago. “Not again Hayner” “It would be nice to be here, if you hadn’t insisted”. I understand from a distance that Olette is angry. She’d turned her head angrily in one direction, Hayner had done the same in the other direction. I began to laugh.There were three sets of people come to think of it. Riku with me, then Axel – Sora, Donald and Goofy. Kairi, Riku and Sora were also a threesome.It isn’t a lively one like Donald, Goofy and Sora, and there is no such friendship like Riku, Kairi and Sora with us. But I think we really are equals now. “Would you just quit fighting!”I stare alternately between them. Pence was silent and nervous. “I’m going home because I say so!”Breaking the silence it was Olette. She was going back into the forest alone. “For good?.....” Hayner asks, remaining with his arms folded with anxious Pence. “Yo leave her alone, we shouldn’t be here to get haunted without Seifer anyways!” “Oh……I wonder if it’s likely!” Pence tilts his neck, seems to spot something, then rushes over to Hayner in a hurry. “Look, look now, the curtain has moved!”I hide behind the curtain at Pences words. “What are you talking about? Isn’t it just swaying in the wind?” “It moved again!” Pence says again whilst pointing to the window, Hayner sighs in amazement. “I mean- that window should be closed properly” “It moved? Likely!” Hayner jumps up this time. I take a deep breath and place my hand over my chest, while listening to what was going on beyond the curtain. “I’m a suspicious guy now that you mention rumours, What’s out there?”Pence had his arms folded. “You’re the big man, You wanna go to grandmothers candy shop then”Hayner crosses his arms too, and I smile at the pairs conversation.Grandmother’s candy shop... Perhaps Axel would be there.Axel went out of the house alone to the city casually once in a while. They didn’t fit the behaviour very well, but he and Riku were not going to give up on their visits. “It’s over” I say whilst Hayner scratches his head. “I’m confused, what’s so new at grandmothers candy shop?” “I don’t think…… Yeah I wonder if it is”“I mean the suspicious man in the black coat. Even grandmother said it’s strange. Apart from him what other explanation is there?” “Now it is likely, but…… but we never saw the man in the black coat anywhere that…… hmm?” “Eh?”Hayner frowns and tilts his neck. The movement stopped Pences question. “Man, do you know every kid in town?” “Yeah”Pence gives a big nod to Hayners words. “How did that guy in the black coat even get to this town?” “You may not, but I know many people come from…… the train station?” “How am I immediately supposed to know if a stranger comes from the station?” “It seems that’s how it is…… oh” “I’ve never seen a man in a black coat there”Pence fell deep into thought at Hayners clear answer. “I wonder if…… That’s it?” “Great! I mean that’s probably it, Now are you a bit hungry?” Hayner stood up straight. “Want a sea-salt ice cream?”Pence looks up at that suggestion. “You can buy”Hayner begins to run towards the forest quickly in response. Pence bolts after him in a chase.And from behind the curtain, I watch their backs.Come to think of it, I always just take ice cream out of the refrigerator in the computer room to eat, and had never bought ice cream at the store in the city. I wonder if it’s the same maybe, but even to eat the ice cream outside was likely to give a different taste. “I’m good…… for a bit” I murmured aloud to myself.If I went out like Axel, and there’s no sign of Heartless or Nobodies in the house, and if push comes to shove there’s “the darkness in between“--.I clench my fist tightly.Then looking back, I leave the room and brake into a run.

I walk through the strip of forest.50 pieces of munny clenched in my hand. Come to think of it, It was the first time that I had handled munny like this. This munny that I had carefully picked up was from the drawing room on the first floor, from the safe at the back of the laboratory in the basement. I always knew that there was munny that I could spend here, but I couldn’t bring myself to use it, because it belonged to Diz.Using the munny……It was all right.I look around the forest. I felt a little scared silly, but the feeling was good to be sucking in the outside air.Walking down the winding path to the bottom of the road. And there’s the tram square again, through a hole in the wall.I had to blink in the daylight, being adjusted to the dim light of the dark forest.A tram went past, in front of me.I know that I do not have a heart, but as my mind raced, I imagined that a beating around in my breast became faster and faster.I began to walk a little at a brisk pace with my hands clasped tightly at my chest over the munny.Indeed, grandmothers candy shop was supposed to be straight ahead.I kind sincerely of knew where everywhere was in this town. But I had never actually walked alone through the city.Passing between some buildings, Grandmothers candy shop came into view. “Two please”Stood next to Pence who already had an ice cream, Hayner asks the old woman showing her with two fingers. “For Olette?” Pence asked. “That said…… what’s there to complain about?”“That it’s too cheesy?”Hayner told Pence to stick it in his face. “I’ll pay half. 10 Munny, yeah” Pence placed 10 munny on the counter of the store. “So, who are you okay with fishing money from? Your parents?”Grandmother tilts her neck. “Because I got this 10 munny? Give me a break. Honestly! Fishing for munny!” “Yes sir”Hayner stooped into his pocket and passed 10 munny over the counter to his grandmother. 2 pieces of ice cream were handed to him. “It’ll melt if we don’t find Olette soon” “I know!”With an ice cream in either hand, Hayner tries to look around, to find me standing there. “Hey……”I stop moving unintentionally, Hayner too seemed puzzled for a moment, but started running again. “Hayner?”After a delay where he notices me in the same way, Pence hurries to catch up with Hayner. “Wait up Hayner!......”After my encounter with the duo, I give a sigh in relief. Then taking a deep breath again I begin to slowly walk towards the shops. “Oh those……!.” “Challenges?”Grandmother raised her face. “Why, there’s an audience for the first time”. “One Sea Salt ice cream please” with my hands clasped to her chest, I ask grandmother. “Yes then, wait a minute”I take a step back as grandmothers movement was slow giving it to me. I received it in my hand that wasn’t holding the munny. “How much is it?” “It’s 20 munny”I opened her hand containing 50 munny coins and gave the amount to the old woman. “I have 30 munny left”The old lady reached out and received the munny from my palm. “Come again soon”And then I laugh and smile. “I will……come again”I start walking back down the road and laugh once more. And then I realised.Where am I going to eat this ice cream?...... “Oh!”I went back towards the shop to ask the old woman. “Is there a problem?” “Can I eat it here?” “Oh yes, Of course”. Grandmother smiled. “That’s fine!”Leaning on the wall next to the counter, I bite into the ice.Salty and sweet, the taste spread in my mouth as usual.But I thought it tasted special. “Well, is it good?” Grandmother asked. “It’s yummy”“That’s nice dear” “Yeah”I nodded and a small black cat meowed and snuggled at my feet. “Do you want some?”I squat down and hold out the sea salt ice cream to the black cat. The black cat snuggled further onto my foot and meowed again. “Hey child, I love that you’re acting like a parent” Grandmother says happily. “Really?” I asked the black cat. Then the black cat meowed once more.

In the storage area under the elevated train tracks—in the usual place, Hayner is eating sea salt ice cream. It seems he and Olette have reconciled.Sitting on top of crates that are stacked in the corner of the storage area, Hayner eats the ice cream as usual. “Hey Hayner”“Uh?”Pence, who had already finished eating his ice cream looked to face Hayner. “Who was that girl who went to the shop?”Pences question made Hayner stop. “Why do you mean ‘the girl’?” Olette asks them. “It was a girl in front of grandmothers shop a while ago”Instead of answering, Hayner just blinks. “Don’t you know the child?” Olette asks as she ate her ice cream. “I never saw that girl before. She wore a white dress and had golden hair. Like Hayner!” “Yup” Hayner nodded. “I wonder whether she moved here?” Pence looked up at Hayner. “We might meet her at school in the new school year”. Olette said happily. “I hope we do” Pence nodded in agreement. “Hayner, Are you listening?” Olette asks Hayner who just gives a vague:“What?”Olette gave a small sigh, amazed that Hayner was surprised. “That girl…… do you mean she was cute?” “Exactly! Well understood Olette”. Pence answered again. “You’re so dim Hayner” “No way!”Hayner gets down from the wooden box and jumps up.She certainly was a pretty girl, but why did that mean she was so vague?

There was a strange atmosphere about that girl. “So is there anything else…”Olette is surprised. “So……”Hayner looks up, depressed, as he suddenly asks a question with a sad air. “I wonder if we’ll meet again?!” “Perhaps in the new school year” Olette suggested whilst Pence shrugged.

I ate the ice cream and with a wave to the old lady, ran to return home. I close the door of the white room loudly so as to suppress the ringing of the beating in my chest. I should be better than this, I take a deep breath.Yet the heart is making a sound.I perched in my chair and take out my sketchbook. Then I remove the black crayon and begin to draw a black cat.That I spoke with someone in town for the first time, and ate the ice cream outside… was also for the first time.Enjoyable for the first time—-for my first visit, I had fun.Such feelings in Soras memory—That I touched the heart for the first time, but still felt like I was on my own.Come to think of it, I was also able to meet Hayner.We didn’t talk—But I was happy to meet him. “I guess I should go…… again” I murmur to the cat in the sketchbook.I imagined that the cat gave a small meow, and smiled.

The next day.Clasping 30 munny, I gently left the mansion. It is possible to buy just one more ice cream, because it is 20 munny.Axel, and Riku too, didn’t come back last night.But that was a good thing yesterday.If I met the two yesterday, I surely would’ve ended up telling them that I went into town.Axel would’ve scolded, that aside, Riku would’ve been a little anxious.Besides, what information could the people of this town have about us? That would’ve caused an emergency.So I shouldn’t talk much with them—they might learn too much. But it was all right if I went to the old woman’s shop.And so through the dimly lit forest, through the twists in the path, I walk to town.Before buying the ice cream, I was going to walk a little through the town today.Having never seen the real thing, I walk slowly past the clock tower.Turning to the right of the road, unlike yesterday, I begin to walk along the line of the tram. I guide myself straight around the bend, and then duck down the aisle out into the square lined with shops. I stop at the foot of grandmothers candy shop. “Hello Grandmother” “Oh, hello” The old woman gives a laugh and a smile. The black cat which was on top of the counter, meowed the same as yesterday. “One Sea Salt ice cream please” “Yes. Wait a minute”I put two 10 munny pieces on the counter. With the remaining 10 munny, it is not possible to buy any more Sea Salt ice cream. “Yes. I didn’t drop it”. Grandmother hands me the ice cream with a smile. “Thank you”The black cat gave a small meow which made me laugh. “Bon Voyage”Grandmother lowers her head with a smile. Then I walk to the road to the Station, whilst eating the ice cream. If you walk from here all the way up to the hill, you were supposed to arrive at Station Square. I tread lightly up the hill while looking at how the children are playing on the slopes.If I turn right along the way, I would supposedly reach Hayners usual spot.As I start up the hill, I stop walking for a moment and looked into the back alley. The hill is a little steep from here, and there was a garage where the path cut out, for sure.By the time I came close to the garage, my ice cream was completely gone. And turning right at the garage, Station Square is straight ahead. The moment I entered the square the setting sun came into my eyes. “Dazzling……”The murmur came out unintentionally as I shielded my face with one hand. As I stepped to approach the setting sun, pigeons took off into the sky. “Wow!” “Pardon?”I turn around with a sudden cry. Hayner was sitting on the steps in front of the station. I was so surprised; I felt paralysed on the spot and couldn’t move. Hayners face showed that he was feeling the same way. “…… All right?” It sounded so involuntary to me. Hayner stands up awkwardly. “Yeah, fine!” “That’s good”.I look back at the setting sun and smile away the butterflies in my stomach.It wasn’t the first time that I had seen the sunset in Twilight Town. I remember that once I saw it here, when I helped Axel. That sunset was pretty too, but it seemed more beautiful today.And at that moment, Hayner rushed in front of me to block my view. “We met yesterday, at the tram plaza”.Not knowing what to say back to him, I just stare at him. “What’s your name?”"...... Naminé" I answer in a small voice. Hayner looks down for a moment, scratches his head and opened his mouth. “My name’s Hayner. Where did you come from Naminé?" Hayner asks, so I look down.Where he’s coming from, I don’t know.Although I came from ‘the haunted house’ today- I could’ve really came from anywhere couldn’t I?Hayner takes another step towards my troubled face. This is when I reach the state of panic. The last of my Sea Salt ice cream, only one last bite, melts and drops to the ground. “So you must really like Sea Salt Ice cream? Me too!”I nod quietly. “But it melted away?”I bite my tongue at Hayners last words. Hayner keeps on staring. I take a deep breath to calm myself. “Oh, you know”After I say this, Hayner tries to say something else, but is cut off by the sound of the bell ringing. We both unintentionally look up at the clock tower at the same time.The hands of the clock and the bells read it was 2 o’clock. “Do you know the stories about the ghosts that appear on the top of that clock tower?” “What!?”I stare at Hayner. “Besides when Uncle goes up the clock tower to clean the clock once a month, nobody goes up there. But some people have said that they’ve seen black shadows sitting side by side up there, in front of the clock”.In the moment that I listen to the story, I look up at the clock tower again, surprised. “No human would sit up there. So why should there even be a ghost story of the duo?” “The two ghosts……” I mutter and giggle.Surely it’s about my two.Just like that, the two guys were thought to be ghosts. Somehow I found it interesting and funny at the same time. “So you like ghost stories? Well here’s another: There’s a large mansion on the outskirts of town…” “I know what ghost you’re talking about! Don’t you mean that shadow of the girl on the second floor?” “Right!”I responded with a smile and, relieved, Hayner returns my laugh. “Yeah that’s a good one, It makes us both laugh” “Hayner-!” It was the carefree sound of Pences voice approaching from a distance. By the sound of the footsteps it seemed like Olette was behind him too. “I gotta go again” I said and took a step back as the pair came up to us. “Right now?” “Thank you. Sorry”. “Yeah, Huh?! But I want to introduce you to everyone……”I run past Hayner and break into a run. His face had a startled expression on it, and his mouth opens. “What?” “Oh?”Olette and Pence notice that I start running and, being surprised, they stop in their tracks. “Wait!” And my feet stop moving for a moment at Olettes voice: “Let’s play together”Pence calls something else out in agreement at my retreating back..However, without looking back, I break into a run again.

Vigorously fastening the door of the white room shut, my shoulders raise and lower themselves to the rhythm of my rough breaths. I close my eyes.I should not have spoken to the city people like that.If I know Hayner correctly, he’s a blabbermouth. And this mistake will be irrevocable.But his story was interesting. I had never spoken to a boy the same age as me like that. When I spoke with Sora, It was in a very unusual situation. It’s the same with Riku, and he’s not the same age. Anyway it can’t be helped. Both Riku and Sora are special people.But Hayner is different.An inhabitant of the town, just a normal boy.Just ordinary, even Pence, Olette too. Just boys and girls.It is different with us.Placing my hand on my chest, I look down. My heart sounds still.It wasn’t going anywhere, after all.

I walk quietly, alone in the forest outskirts.I didn’t sleep much last night.Because I only have 10 munny left, I can’t buy another Sea Salt ice cream.There’s Twilight Town as usual. I sneak through the hole in the wall. And realise—this town is special.I begin walking anywhere, without an aim. Then came a voice: “Don’t kick it like that!” “That’s bad, even worse!” “Not there, move over a little”It was the voices of Olette, Pence and Hayner. My feet stop moving. In front of grandmothers store, the three people are trying to kick a ball. “Got it!”Pence kicks the ball and it rolls towards me and stops at my feet. Pence yells out loud."Naminé!" “Hello” I smile at Hayner, who runs up to me in a panic. “I thought we’d meet again” “I’m sorry to have left so suddenly yesterday”I pick up the ball at my feet and pass it to Hayner. “I was going to come again” I say, and to my relief, Hayner laughs. “What’s taking so long, Hayner?”Olette comes running up from behind, with Pence in tow.“Nice to meet you” I nod my head at the two. “I’m called Naminé” “I’m Pence”. Pence reaches out to shake hands with me. “Nice to meet you, my name is Olette” Olette laughs and smiles, I nod in return. “When did you move here Naminé?”To answer Pences question I just laugh quietly.The three exchange a troubled look. “You know, I haven’t eaten any ice cream today……so?”I shake my head at Hayners invitation. “I can’t. I only have 10 munny”“Well I’ll pay half!”“You’re on!” “Me too!”And the three start laughing as they look at each other unanimously. “We’ll be hospitable today” “Thank you”I was just a little downcast at Pences words.

Everyone headed for the front of grandmothers candy shop side by side. “Yes, today many parents come!” Grandmother jokes and makes me laugh. The black cat rubs affectionately against my knees. “And my they’re good. One 5 munny each from Olette and Pence and a set of 10 munny from Hayner to pay for 4 am I right?” “That’s fine, do we have enough?”Olette looks a little worried at Hayners hands. “It’s all right!”To the trios combined total of 20 munny to pay for my ice cream, I add my 10 munny and Hayner puts it on the counter for 30 munny altogether. Olette and Pence then each pay 25 munny, to make up the total. “Yes, please”Grandmother passed us all an ice cream. “Thank you” I nibbled into the ice immediately. “It’s salty… but sweet” “Yeah, only Sea Salt ice cream!” Pence answers and leans back onto the wall, like the day before yesterday I lean on it too. Hayner and Olette then lined up side by side and joined us, as a train soon went by in front of us. In the aftermath I have to say something. “I’m glad to meet everyone”“We’ll meet up again lots now, in the future” Olette says and looks at me “Yeah, but Summer Vacation will end soon” Hayner continues.I stop eating my ice cream and stand in front of Hayner. “Thank you for the ice cream” “Don’t worry about it” Hayner says, embarrassed, and faces the other way. I look at Olette and Pence in the same way. “Today I came to say goodbye” “What?” Hayner jumps off the wall and stares into my face. “Why?”Pence and Olette stop leaning in the same way to stand next to me. “But I loved meeting you”Olette was now standing right next to me. Standing with three people, as if they were to totally surround me. “I can’t see you anymore” “What do you mean…?” “I’m sorry. I’m a witch- kind of like a ghost”I took Hayners hand, and in it placed the half-eaten ice cream. “Yo, but… Naminé…… Wait a minute?” “So I won’t be able to meet up with you anymore. Thank you for the ice cream.”I smile quietly and release my hand from Hayners. “Even if I unravel the chain of memories, fragments of memory do not disappear. When everyone forgets me, I won’t forget the people” “What are you saying Naminé?” “I’m sorry—Goodbye, thank you!”The “darkness of between” opens behind me, and I disappear from their sight.

3 people return to the calls of a small cat, he looks around.Since when was I standing in front of grandmothers store?“Hayner, are you forgetting something?”Hazy, Hayner was amazed by the sound of Olettes voice. “When did you get ice cream for two?”Pence also came out from behind Olette.Hayner looks down at his hands. He really was holding two Sea Salt ice creams.Why do I have an  ice cream in both hands. “……Yeah……Another?” Hayner tilted his head.Each of his ice creams were half-eaten. But so too were the ice creams that Olette and Pence each had.The sound of the bell is heard in the distance. Hayner looks up.Oh yeah… didn’t I recently tell somebody the story- about the ghosts on top of the clock tower?But, I can’t remember.Hayner clings to the ice cream blankly. It’s salty and sweet. As always.A black cat snuggles at Hayners feet and meows softly.

I paint quietly.In the sketchbook, I stare at Hayner, Pence and Olette laughing up at me.Secret memories that won’t be told to anyone.In that town, I’m glad that you’ll still eat ice cream, but we’ll never meet like that again.Because I am a witch that can manipulate memory, doesn’t mean I will forget.I can’t forget these even if I want to forget.I will not forget that I got the ice cream. Sweet and salty… “Naminé” My name is called out, I look up. “Welcome back” “I’m home Naminé” Riku replies while removing his hood, it makes me smile. “I just returned with an innovation”And Axel sits down in a chair opposite, with a Sea Salt ice cream held in his hand.I’m at home with these three people. So I feel good now.My cherished companions—Riku , Axel. “So, how has Sora been?” I ask them, as I close the sketchbook.

" I don’t speak much with him, but he laughs like a different person when he eats Ice cream with Axel."

AXEL EAT ICE-CREAM WITH RIKU? AXEL YOU CHEATED ROXAS.!! xD

--Awesome translation thx :D

Edited by I♥KH