Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

I'm going to buy the Nintendo Switch as a Handheld

After much thoughtful deliberation as to whether I should buy the Nintendo Switch, I've decided that I will... but with a twist. I'm going to buy it as a handheld console as oppose to a home console. Why? well for two primary reasons...

1) I already have a PlayStation 4 Slim as my dedicated home console system. And with all the wonderful PS4 exclusives and third party support the system receives, that console is not going to go away any time soon...

2) It's going to be the most powerful handheld gaming system in the market. Nintendo want to unify their handheld and console portfolio into one division, this means that franchises like Pokemon, Ace Attorney and Fire Emblem are going to be in HD quality.

I don't go out much and when I do I never bother taking handheld consoles with me. It's just a hassle if you already own a smartphone.

If I do buy it I'll just buy it as another home console. I probably will buy it it just depends on the games. I've been wanting Nintendo to give me a real home console where I can sit down front of a TV and play the game with a normal controller for a LONG time. R

I don't go out much and when I do I never bother taking handheld consoles with me. It's just a hassle if you already own a smartphone.

If I do buy it I'll just buy it as another home console. I probably will buy it it just depends on the games. I've been wanting Nintendo to give me a real home console where I can sit down front of a TV and play the game with a normal controller for a LONG time. R

I'm with you 100% on this. I just want to play Monster Hunter and other games with better graphics on a big screen with a normal and comfortable controller. q_q That's my gripe with handheld devices, is that the small screens I can't handle for all that long especially with my eyes, and they aren't all that comfortable.

Edited by Geralt

I'm with you 100% on this. I just want to play Monster Hunter and other games with better graphics on a big screen with a normal and comfortable controller. q_q That's my gripe with handheld devices, is that the small screens I can't handle for all that long especially with my eyes, and they aren't all that comfortable.

Yeah my eyes are awful so staring into small screens is dangerous for me.

Yeah, but that's a really weak analogy. That's like saying, if you own a BluRay player, you shouldn't have a PS4 or a Xbox One because they both play BluRays.

Besides, handheld gaming is far superior in quality than smartphone gaming will ever be. Handheld games are still designed as conventional games, smartphone games are designed as psychological time killers, two drastically different outlooks. The Pokemon franchise would be non-existent if it had a smartphone application mentality on the 3DS.

I can play the Switch at the comfort of my bed, with home consoles, I'm stuck to a single location. With the Switch, I can game wherever I want inside and outside the household.

Yeah, but that's a really weak analogy. That's like saying, if you own a BluRay player, you shouldn't have a PS4 or a Xbox One because they both play BluRays.

Besides, handheld gaming is far superior in quality than smartphone gaming will ever be. Handheld games are still designed as conventional games, smartphone games are designed as psychological time killers, two drastically different outlooks. The Pokemon franchise would be non-existent if it had a smartphone application mentality on the 3DS.

I can play the Switch at the comfort of my bed, with home consoles, I'm stuck to a single location. With the Switch, I can game wherever I want inside and outside the household.

Why would I take a video game console with me when I go somewhere? I'm not going to go outside just to play a game.

As for 'handheld gaming>smartphone gaming' I don't care, gaming is a time killer, everything is a time killer.

That just kills the idea of going outside. That console is like 8 cm wide and doesn't even fit in your pocket either. Not to mention the risks and annoyances of

Having it stolen

Dropping it and breaking the screen

It taking up extra space and having to get a bag to fit it in

Taking it in and out of the bag consistently

Losing the bag which it is in

If it dies then you are lugging around dead weight 

Edited by Barry Bacon Allen

You may want to wait and see if it's a good handheld first; all there is are rumors currently and it'd be pretty foolish to make decisions based solely on that and Nintendo's promises.

As for 'handheld gaming>smartphone gaming' I don't care, gaming is a time killer, everything is a time killer.

That is absolutely a matter of opinion. Some people (like myself) hate mobile games because they almost universally fail at actually being fun games; if I wanted to "kill time", I'd just read a book or browse news articles on my phone. Games are a thing that require attention and at least a small amount of skill, and mobile games are almost the antithesis of that. Handhelds are perfect for that niche (and yes, it is admittedly a niche among consumers) and it'd be great if the Switch could surpass the 3DS in that role. I'm just not convinced it's going to totally be able to do that, in no small part due to the complaints you brought up.

(plus if you really believe that everything is a time killer then life is meaningless we're all just killing time until we die just saying)

Why would I take a video game console with me when I go somewhere? I'm not going to go outside just to play a game.

You're completely missing the point...

I use public transport like buses and trains and my journeys take quite some time (especially if there's delays). That's a logical reason in of itself to have a handheld console, and as far as the system being damaged and broken goes, you have to use common sense to dictate appropriate times to use the system. Plus, these things have insurance warranty's attached to them, so even if the Switch was to hypothetically break, the insurance would cover it.

Were you not aware that people travel with big bags? the Switch video literally demonstrated all the hypothetical scenarios it can be realistically used as a portable.

You may want to wait and see if it's a good handheld first; all there is are rumors currently and it'd be pretty foolish to make decisions based solely on that and Nintendo's promises.

Lol, I did forget to mention that I'm not gonna buy it on release day, matter of fact, I'll get it for Black Friday 2017.

Edited by Guest

Were you not aware that people travel with big bags? the Switch video literally demonstrated all the hypothetical scenarios it can be realistically used as a portable.

Yeah, I bring a messenger bag or backpack with me most places I go and I already bring my 3DS with me; the Switch feasibly shouldn't be much different. (Plus there's a 100% chance they'll sell protective cases for it too.) Also a point I forgot to mention was that if I play games on my phone all the time, my battery's gonna be draining constantly. I'd rather deplete the battery of a handheld game system than my phone that I might really need at some point.

Lol, I did forget to mention that I'm not gonna buy it on release day, matter of fact, I'll get it for Black Friday 2017.

That's a wise move. Hell, they might even release an updated version of the Switch by that point (or at least different colors :P ).

Yeah, I bring a messenger bag or backpack with me most places I go and I already bring my 3DS with me; the Switch feasibly shouldn't be much different. (Plus there's a 100% chance they'll sell protective cases for it too.) Also a point I forgot to mention was that if I play games on my phone all the time, my battery's gonna be draining constantly. I'd rather deplete the battery of a handheld game system than my phone that I might really need at some point.

Speaking of the Nintendo 3DS, I'll have to sell a lot of beloved games, because the Switch is going to take over as my primary handheld. I can use the money from that to help save up for the Switch. 

That's cool, Baymax! I'm still deliberating on whether or not to get the Switch, but what I'm thinking is that I'll wait and see if the system builds up a good library, ya know? If it does, I'll most certainly get it! :D

Yeah, that's my reason for waiting it out. I'm willing to see how unique the library of games are before I consider dedicating myself towards the system.

Yeah, that's my reason for waiting it out. I'm willing to see how unique the library of games are before I consider dedicating myself towards the system.

Indeed! After all, we won't know how good the system will be until the software comes out for it! I'm pretty sure Nintendo's gonna deliver more epic games this time around, though, via their partnership with numerous game developers! :)