Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
PrinceNoctis

(SPOILERS!) An analysis (sort-of) of Sora's character in KH III

Spoiler

I just finished KHIII's story and personally, I am satisfied with how the game wrapped things up. When I reached the ending though, I couldn't help but feel like Sora's fate wasn't fair. I felt like it had come out of nowhere and just didn't understand how it made any sense with everything that had happened over the course of the series. So I decided to reflect upon Nomura's decision to make Sora...disappear? 

My first thought was that maybe the story meant to tell us that happy endings are EARNED and that Sora hadn't earned his yet. Aqua, Terra, Ventus, Roxas, Lea, Xion and Riku all went through really painful experiences. Extreme loneliness, guilt, being possessed, sacrifice, lack of identity, loss...Sora didn't really have to go through all that, I thought. But then I realized that one important arc in the series (Coded and Dream Drop Distance) was all about Sora learning about pain and feeling the pain of others. And although the consequences weren't drastic, Sora sacrificed himself in KH1 and he lost EVERYONE in KHIII. Xehanort definitely made him suffer A LOT in that final battle...He knows pain just as much as the others, so why doesn't he get the happy ending.

After taking a second look at the events of KHIII, I'm realizing that Sora's fate is totally in line with everything we know about his character. He's optimistic and by the end of KHIII he's over optimistic and that's what led him to where he is. The way I see it, there are four ways to approach challenges in life. You can be pessimistic(act like you've failed before even trying), realistic(evaluate the good and the bad, and decide what to do from there), optimistic(do your best to face the challenge even if the odds are against you) or overly optimistic(be undoubtedly sure that everything will be fine, no matter what). Sora's defining trait is his optimism. He's the hero and he always believes he can save the day. There was a time (KH2 era) when people even thought his character had no depth because nothing ever seemed to get him down. He smiled ALL THE TIME. For the most part, Sora's an optimist, not an over-optimist, but he does start to show over optimistic tendencies when KHDDD comes around.

First, he underestimates Xehanort. In DDD, Sora thinks that, together with Riku and Mickey, he's ready to face Xehanort and expects to pass his exam easily. In KHIII, as soon as he hears Riku and Mickey are in trouble, Sora rushes to their side even though Yen Sid told him he wasn't ready. When it's time to wake up Ven, Sora uses the power of waking although he doesn't really know how to use it. When everyone dies (except Kairi, mind you), Sora uses the "Power of Waking" to save them even though he's told the way he uses it is dangerous. By the end of KHIII, Sora tells everyone to stay behind. He believes he can face Xehanort ALONE. I don't think Sora thinks he's invincible or in control of everything, but he does seem to believe destiny is on his side. And why wouldn't he, he's been brought back from the depths of darkness TWICE, he's defeated Xehanort THRICE, a thousand keyblades came to his aid out of nowhere and he's transcended death (because of Kairi, mind you). In the end, that belief that destiny has his back, that pure optimism was his undoing. Sora was advised multiple not to use the Power of Waking foolishly, but he did nonetheless. 

Nomura decided to approach Sora's character differently in KHIII, instead of showing the strengths of his optimism, he showed it's weaknesses. He showed that there's a fine line between optimism and over optimism. And that one can have grave consequences. Do I think Nomura wants to teach us that being optimistic all the time is bad? No. In fact, Sora probably doesn't regret what he did since it was for Kairi to be safe. Nomura wanted to teach us about the relationship between friendship, love, sacrifice and will and he did. But when it comes to Sora's character, I believe Nomura wants him to learn about consequences, something that Sora never really had to face as everything always ended well for him. 

EDIT: Or maybe he just wants to teach us about sacrificing yourself for what matters most to you and I'm overthinking it.

What do you guys think?

Edited by PrinceNoctis

Spoiler

Personally I think Sora's confidence or over-confidence is actually a cover for how he really feels. He clearly doesn't want to bring everyone down by thinking they cant do it. He's also very empathic, Note how he reacted from seeing Elsa for a moment at a distance. He said she seemed sad. He knows nothing about her at this point but is able to tell she's sad. Sure context of her apparently running away from something helps but he doesn't know this is the point. There are other examples of his empathy, though I can't think of them at the moment. I personally believe that his empathy is actually the real source of his ability to make friends with anyone. Regarding the ending I was a little shocked they went with such a bittersweet end because it shows that while Sora has been through the ringer he still hasn't earned his happy ending, or more likely he was willing to sacrifice his to make sure the others got theirs. That said Im well over 100% certain that the next game is going to involve a mission to find Sora. But thats mainly because Nomura has stated that KH will always be Sora's story.