Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Power Jusho

Cosmo breaks Ocarina of Time record

Beating LoZ: Ocarina of Time in 18:40, Cosmo Wright made a new world record! 

If you can beat oot in 18:40 it sort of proofs how much time this guy has put in to breaking the world record. 

Do they separate the runs into glitched speedruns and glitchless when it comes to "World Records"

I don't know why everyone asks this as though glitching is cheating. Glitchless is a category but almost nobody runs it. If your speedrunning a game, your running it to be fast; avoiding glitches only makes the game boring to both play and watch. Only exceptions to this are categories made so you actually get to play the game and not skip everything and beat it in 20 minutes like "MST", which is a category to beat the game while successfully completing each dungeon.

I don't know why everyone asks this as though glitching is cheating. Glitchless is a category but almost nobody runs it. If your speedrunning a game, your running it to be fast; avoiding glitches only makes the game boring to both play and watch. Only exceptions to this are categories made so you actually get to play the game and not skip everything and beat it in 20 minutes like "MST", which is a category to beat the game while successfully completing each dungeon.

I'm not saying it's cheating, while it does take skill and precision I think it''s unfair to lose a world record cause you didn't break the game hence the question as to whether there's different categories for people who complete it the way they're meant to complete it and getting through it fast through literal skill at the game, making use of Farore's wind and know the routes off etc, not exploiting it's errors

I'm not saying it's cheating, while it does take skill and precision I think it''s unfair to lose a world record cause you didn't break the game hence the question as to whether there's different categories for people who complete it the way they're meant to complete it and getting through it fast through literal skill at the game, making use of Farore's wind and know the routes off etc, not exploiting it's errors

I was actually talking about this in a stream a few minutes and there was a pretty massive general conscientious that glitching is fair and that only non-speedrunners believe its not. You speedrun a game to beat it fast, not glitching is just deliberately making it slower for arbitrary reasons. New categories only stem up when a game has either become too difficult to do any faster or to mix things up a bit. There is also the problem of there being a really thin line between what is a glitch and what it not. Does equipping EXP Zero in KH 1.5 to make the game believe you are playing Lv1 to increase your damage output glitching? Is making a well aligned and positioned jump to skip a room glitching?

I was actually talking about this in a stream a few minutes and there was a pretty massive general conscientious that glitching is fair and that only non-speedrunners believe its not. You speedrun a game to beat it fast, not glitching is just deliberately making it slower for arbitrary reasons. New categories only stem up when a game has either become too difficult to do any faster or to mix things up a bit. There is also the problem of there being a really thin line between what is a glitch and what it not. Does equipping EXP Zero in KH 1.5 to make the game believe you are playing Lv1 to increase your damage output glitching? Is making a well aligned and positioned jump to skip a room glitching?

I see the merit in using glitches to exploit the game and get it done faster.  I just think there should be different categories of world records so it's like "fastest glitched run" "fastest glitchless run" "fastest 3 heart glitchless run" etc.  

And no, equipping an available ability in game that is there to give yourself more of a challenge isn't glitching.  But breaking through walls, death sequences and such to fast forward is glitching.  I don't actually see why you've made a relation between the two.  Sure if the glitch in KH1 where you jump all the way to the top of Destiny Island shot you forward to the End of the World, they'd be akin but equipping a legal ability in the game is in no way related to glitching through a game instead of playing a game.  

You do know that Cosmo broke his own record not someone else's. And he used the same way he got his record last time.

You do know that Cosmo broke his own record not someone else's. And he used the same way he got his record last time.

Yes I do

But I'm not saying he just broke someone else's

Just that it'd be fair if they're separated into categories so those who want to actually play through the game fast, without glitching, still get recognition as the "fastest nonglitched run through" where he has the "fasted glitched run through"

I see the merit in using glitches to exploit the game and get it done faster.  I just think there should be different categories of world records so it's like "fastest glitched run" "fastest glitchless run" "fastest 3 heart glitchless run" etc.  

And no, equipping an available ability in game that is there to give yourself more of a challenge isn't glitching.  But breaking through walls, death sequences and such to fast forward is glitching.  I don't actually see why you've made a relation between the two.  Sure if the glitch in KH1 where you jump all the way to the top of Destiny Island shot you forward to the End of the World, they'd be akin but equipping a legal ability in the game is in no way related to glitching through a game instead of playing a game.  

Yes I do

But I'm not saying he just broke someone else's

Just that it'd be fair if they're separated into categories so those who want to actually play through the game fast, without glitching, still get recognition as the "fastest nonglitched run through" where he has the "fasted glitched run through"

Here is the problem though, nobody wants to play the game fast without glitches. Its an arbitrary category that has no meaning most of the time, this means you will have no competition and will never have your record broken, but at the same time, that means your World Record means nothing and you won't have any reason to run it anymore. If you run OoT glitchless, not only will it not exactly count as a "Good" WR since its such a pointless category but you won't get any viewers to watch you run it either because your just playing the game. Trust me, I've seen speedrunners try to run games without glitches and the end result is always the same, its either too boring and they quit or the game is too long and they don't have the patients to run it. Glitches are what make it fun in the first place. There are exceptions to this, some games make categories that ignore specific glitches if said glitch either makes the game far too difficult, too short or random based. Its why Paper Mario has All Cards because in any%, the last 2 bosses are completely luck based and you have zero control over it.

And btw, yes EXP Zero is glitched. If you do a 3 hit combo, summons do double damage due to a programming oversight.