Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Has anyone begun watching the anime? It's only got 2 episodes so far but it's really awesome. I did try and read the manga but it wasn't really that interesting, I feel the anime does a better job of investing me into the story :D

My hero academia is centered around a kid named Deku, who's dream is to become a hero-although he is talentless and possess no natural gifts. If you're a Naruto fan, you'll enjoy this since it's got a big Naruto influence. The theme is superheroes :). So far the music has been pretty good and the animation is great too. It reminds me of One punch man a tiny bit.

I recommend it :D.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've been tuning into the show for the past 2 weeks and have been enjoying it so far! It's really grabbed me and I can't wait to see more. I haven't tried to read the manga yet but I will eventually. I think I just want to be surprised by the show so I might wait for a while to pick the books up.

I would also recommend MHA if anyone is interested. The artstyle has grabbed me, the animations pretty good and for the current 2 episodes I think the story is great and paced well.  :P

His name isn't Deku, it's Izuku Midoriya. Deku is a nickname.

OT: Before I started watching the anime, I had already read the first volume of the manga. Still, from what I've seen from both, so far it's just alright. I do like a lot of ideas that its doing but it's not really impressing me that much. Although I will say I'm enjoying this much more than One-Punch Man. Oh yeah, and Katsuki is currently my favorite character just because of how entertainingly awful he is.

The whole comparisons to Naruto kind of bug me though. Not saying that you can't draw parallels to it, but it say that the author automatically drew inspiration from Naruto is really assuming. It's a very common shonen trope to have an MC in the same vein as Izuku or Naruto.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Haha, but the author has specifically mentioned drawing influence from Naruto. Kishimoto also has shown a lot of support for it along with Oda the One Piece creator. Because it started right around when Naruto ended a lot of people look at it as the spiritual successor to Naruto.

I'm caught up manga wise and it's gotten really spectacular. A lot of really interesting themes are explored once they start to really introduce the villains. It's really fun to compare it to One Punch Man as both are currently focussed on the lives of superheroes in vastly different ways. This is definitely going to be a big one.

Haha, but the author has specifically mentioned drawing influence from Naruto. Kishimoto also has shown a lot of support for it along with Oda the One Piece creator. Because it started right around when Naruto ended a lot of people look at it as the spiritual successor to Naruto.

Cite your source, pal.

His name isn't Deku, it's Izuku Midoriya. Deku is a nickname.

OT: Before I started watching the anime, I had already read the first volume of the manga. Still, from what I've seen from both, so far it's just alright. I do like a lot of ideas that its doing but it's not really impressing me that much. Although I will say I'm enjoying this much more than One-Punch Man. Oh yeah, and Katsuki is currently my favorite character just because of how entertainingly awful he is.

The whole comparisons to Naruto kind of bug me though. Not saying that you can't draw parallels to it, but it say that the author automatically drew inspiration from Naruto is really assuming. It's a very common shonen trope to have an MC in the same vein as Izuku or Naruto

So Gon, Natsu, Luffy, Yusuke, Ichigo and Goku are similar to Deku?

Deku is nothing like any of them.......... Deku draws closest to Naruto because both started out as nothing and became something out of sheer willpower and determination (Deku says in episode 2 that he becomes the greatest hero), everyone resented Naruto at first just like they resent Deku. Deku isn't much of a hot head either since he's more nerdy than the others. He has a few fangasms at All Might if that counts as being hot headed....

The only 'shonen trope' that Deku shares is that he follows his dreams and has willpower. Other than that, he's just a nerdy teenager.

So Gon, Natsu, Luffy, Yusuke, Ichigo and Goku are similar to Deku?  

Not all shonen protagonists are loud and boisterous. Yusuke isn't even a good example to use, he's just a punk. Ichigo is also very moody. Still, my point is that most MC in shonen start off as insignificant in the eyes of many and eventually rise above expectations. So yes, Izuku does fit that bill.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Second, not all shonen protagonists are loud and boisterous. Yusuke isn't even a good example to use, he's just a punk. Ichigo is also very moody. Still, my point is that most MC in shonen start off as insignificant in the eyes of many and eventually rise above expectations. So yes, Izuku does fit that bill.

Yusuke is 'just a punk' yeah okay... Even though he's more complex and hot headed than any of the others...

Edited by Flaming Lea

Yusuke is 'just a punk' yeah okay... Even though he's more complex and hot headed than any of the others...

Look I don't remember much of Yu Yu Hakusho, but I do know he was a punk. I don't know about complex though.

Edited by Flaming Lea

Reading this section in the manga went a lot more fast-paced, as do most sections from manga to anime since the episodes naturally add more frames and scenes to the plot to fit a 22 minute anime episode. Still, this was the first instance where I felt that things dragged on a little too much, mostly likely to how far the moral of helping others went over the line of pure corniness this week. I understand why it was done, but I pretty much got the message the moment he socked the OP robot. The guy in the glasses whose name I forget pretty much spelled it out too. Still, the part where Ochaco is shown trying to help out Izuku added some depth to the moral, but even so, the entirety of the last half of the episode just felt a little overstuffed for me.

I haven't seen the anime yet but I am up to date on manga. Sh*t got real.

Anyone see the latest chapter?

Edited by Dravoo