Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

KHUX What I Think The New Surprise World for Kingdom Hearts Unchained X Will Be

open-uri20150422-12561-wpiwpu_74d49156.j

Having this property be the new world for Kingdom Hearts Unchained X makes sense for a variety of reasons...

1) It still fits in with the Fairy tale theme. Every Kingdom Hearts world featured so far has had a Fairy tale theme. The Black Cauldron is as by the book of a Fairy Tale world as you can get. There's a hero, a villain, a Princess (with no Kingdom to rule over) and a Jar Jar Binks. 

2) It fits with Kingdom Hearts X dark theme... from a broader perspective, there's going to be a split from X's and Unchained X's storyline. That's guaranteed. What else is guaranteed is that there's going to be events that are far more darker than what we're currently witnessing, and, having a dark fairy tale like this world provides a thematic connection.

3) Square Enix have used obscure Disney properties before. Remember Mickey, Donald and Goofy: The Three Musketeers? or the Mickey short, Runaway Brain? well, they are as obscure as you can get yet they made it into Kingdom Hearts because Square Enix made the creative decision to add that property in. The Black Cauldron is far more recognised than those two properties because it's a feature length film so it's not out of the question despite the original movies financial returns.

Most people are drawing to the conclusion that The Jungle Book is going to be the world featured, however, there's two things that prevent me from believing that The Jungle Book is going to be the "surprise world". Firstly, The Jungle Book's story does not thematically fit as a Fairy Tale world. Yes, it's based of a tale, however, it's not a fantastical tale with magic and daring adventures, it's a coming of age tale. But more importantly, I feel as though having another human in that world just wouldn't work. Mowgli is the "mancub" of that world. Kingdom Hearts III can pull off The Jungle Book because Sora can transform in different worlds. I highly doubt our customisable avatar will "transform". 

Eh, I still think Jungle Book is just as likely, especially since I feel it has a better chance in Unchained than in KH3, since I will agree that it doesn't have enough going on in it to have a fantastical element to it. I frankly don't think it's "big" enough for KH3, but it might just be the right amount for Unchained. However, keep in mind we have not been getting purely fairy tale material in Unchained so far. Olympus Coliseum comes from Hercules, which isn't necessarily a fairy tale styled story, and depending on how you look at it, Aladdin isn't technically a fairy tale either, the Arabian Nights kind of being more of a general fantasy series than a specific type (unless you want to make the argument that genies can make it a fairy tale). So while Unchained X and X's stories as a whole are supposed to feel more fairy tale like and at least half of their worlds are from legit fairy tales, it does not necessarily dictate the kinds of worlds that they adopt for it. So Jungle Book has as good a chance as any other world does.

That said though, I also think Black Cauldron might have a decent chance...provided that they work around the parts of the movie that didn't work out. Remember, this was one of Disney's original critical and commercial flops, not making the return they were hoping for and getting a fair bit of negative reviews to go with it. While that doesn't necessarily prevent it from getting adapted for KH, it'd still be kind of a problem trying to work with the issues that got it such criticism. I guess some of the troubled voice acting won't be much of a problem, and the plot still gets kind of altered whenever our characters get involved anyway, so that might also be another issue taken care of. Of course it also has that obscure reputation thing as well, but I don't see that as much of an issue, as we have seen them go ahead with movies like Nightmare Before Christmas (remember it didn't receive much promotion from Disney prior to Kingdom Hearts, Tim Burton was too "edgy" for Disney at the time), Tron (really the only thing keeping it relevant at that time would have been it's gameboy games, and Tron Legacy didn't happen till after KH2 curiously enough...), and yes, Mickey Donald and Goofy The Three Musketeers (DVD only, and not too critically acclaimed either). No, really my only concern is with how infamous it got, but I'm almost entirely convinced that Nomura's team and KH itself can make almost anything work (even Marvel and Star Wars, but that's another conversation for another day).

Ooh, it would be very interesting if The Black Cauldron made its way into Kingdom Hearts Unchained X! If it turns out to be the surprise world, that'd be interesting!

Granted, I haven't seen the film, but I've heard it's one of Disney's darker films, and as such, it's gained a cult following, and I've always read on here about how there are people who want this film to be adapted into the Kingdom Hearts series!  So hey, Unchained X could be just the place for The Black Cauldron to make its debut! :D

Though it would be cool to have that be the world (I would rather see it on a console Kingdom Hearts game first because I really like that movie) I think it's either gonna be Zootopia or The Jungle book with how the medals have been so far

Eh, I still think Jungle Book is just as likely, especially since I feel it has a better chance in Unchained than in KH3, since I will agree that it doesn't have enough going on in it to have a fantastical element to it. I frankly don't think it's "big" enough for KH3, but it might just be the right amount for Unchained. However, keep in mind we have not been getting purely fairy tale material in Unchained so far. Olympus Coliseum comes from Hercules, which isn't necessarily a fairy tale styled story, and depending on how you look at it, Aladdin isn't technically a fairy tale either, the Arabian Nights kind of being more of a general fantasy series than a specific type (unless you want to make the argument that genies can make it a fairy tale). So while Unchained X and X's stories as a whole are supposed to feel more fairy tale like and at least half of their worlds are from legit fairy tales, it does not necessarily dictate the kinds of worlds that they adopt for it. So Jungle Book has as good a chance as any other world does.

Hercules is based on Greek mythology and Aladdin is based off Middle Eastern mythology. They technically fit into the context of "Fairy tales" as they are still fantasy in the origins despite not being European Fairy tales. The only aspect that even remotely Fairy Tale about The Jungle Book is the talking animals, but even then, that's very tame compared to the current fantasy worlds that are already in Unchained X. Nomura stressed that the worlds that are featured in X/Unchained X focus on the "Fairy Tale" aspect to reflect the "Fairy Tale" era.

Plus, The Jungle Book is a high profile Walt Disney Animation Studios movie. They're not going to make it an Unchained X exclusive because the demand for that world is too high for it not to be featured in a mainline game. As I mentioned earlier, Sora, Donald and Goofy have liberties in transforming, therefore, being more suitable for a Jungle Book world than our customisable avatar is.

That said though, I also think Black Cauldron might have a decent chance...provided that they work around the parts of the movie that didn't work out. Remember, this was one of Disney's original critical and commercial flops, not making the return they were hoping for and getting a fair bit of negative reviews to go with it. While that doesn't necessarily prevent it from getting adapted for KH, it'd still be kind of a problem trying to work with the issues that got it such criticism. I guess some of the troubled voice acting won't be much of a problem, and the plot still gets kind of altered whenever our characters get involved anyway, so that might also be another issue taken care of. Of course it also has that obscure reputation thing as well, but I don't see that as much of an issue, as we have seen them go ahead with movies like Nightmare Before Christmas (remember it didn't receive much promotion from Disney prior to Kingdom Hearts, Tim Burton was too "edgy" for Disney at the time), Tron (really the only thing keeping it relevant at that time would have been it's gameboy games, and Tron Legacy didn't happen till after KH2 curiously enough...), and yes, Mickey Donald and Goofy The Three Musketeers (DVD only, and not too critically acclaimed either). No, really my only concern is with how infamous it got, but I'm almost entirely convinced that Nomura's team and KH itself can make almost anything work (even Marvel and Star Wars, but that's another conversation for another day).

Actually, The Black Cauldron has been adapted as a video game... twice. The Horned King is the main antagonist in The Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse, and, there's also been a Black Cauldron video game for the Commodore 64. And besides, Square Enix have complete control as to which Disney properties can be used. If a property can't be used, chances are, it's nothing more than legal reasons, or, in respect of Walt Disney's wishes. In a game with no voice acting, portraying the characters of The Black Cauldron in a modern context wouldn't be that hard at all.

Remember, Treasure Planet was a flop for Disney Animation and that property nearly made it into Kingdom Hearts 3D so The Black Cauldron isn't out of the question at all.

Ooh, it would be very interesting if The Black Cauldron made its way into Kingdom Hearts Unchained X! If it turns out to be the surprise world, that'd be interesting!

Granted, I haven't seen the film, but I've heard it's one of Disney's darker films, and as such, it's gained a cult following, and I've always read on here about how there are people who want this film to be adapted into the Kingdom Hearts series!  So hey, Unchained X could be just the place for The Black Cauldron to make its debut! :D

I stress that you watch it. It's interesting to say the least. If anything, this movie seems to emulate Don Bluth's early movies like The Secret of NIMH as opposed to regular Disney Fairy Tales. There's no musical numbers and the colours are intentionally dark and saturated.

Hercules is based on Greek mythology and Aladdin is based off Middle Eastern mythology. They technically fit into the context of "Fairy tales" as they are still fantasy in the origins despite not being European Fairy tales. The only aspect that even remotely Fairy Tale about The Jungle Book is the talking animals, but even then, that's very tame compared to the current fantasy worlds that are already in Unchained X. Nomura stressed that the worlds that are featured in X/Unchained X focus on the "Fairy Tale" aspect to reflect the "Fairy Tale" era.

Plus, The Jungle Book is a high profile Walt Disney Animation Studios movie. They're not going to make it an Unchained X exclusive because the demand for that world is too high for it not to be featured in a mainline game. As I mentioned earlier, Sora, Donald and Goofy have liberties in transforming, therefore, being more suitable for a Jungle Book world than our customisable avatar is.

Actually, The Black Cauldron has been adapted as a video game... twice. The Horned King is the main antagonist in The Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse, and, there's also been a Black Cauldron video game for the Commodore 64. And besides, Square Enix have complete control as to which Disney properties can be used. If a property can't be used, chances are, it's nothing more than legal reasons, or, in respect of Walt Disney's wishes. In a game with no voice acting, portraying the characters of The Black Cauldron in a modern context wouldn't be that hard at all.

Remember, Treasure Planet was a flop for Disney Animation and that property nearly made it into Kingdom Hearts 3D so The Black Cauldron isn't out of the question at all.

I stress that you watch it. It's interesting to say the least. If anything, this movie seems to emulate Don Bluth's early movies like The Secret of NIMH as opposed to regular Disney Fairy Tales. There's no musical numbers and the colours are intentionally dark and saturated.

I don't know, all I'm saying is for me personally, the Jungle Book never captured me the same way other Disney movies did as a child, so I don't know if there's enough rationalization for it to be in something as big as KH3. But the team clearly really wants to put Jungle Book into the picture somewhere down the line, and I figure Unchained X is probably the safest place to do that in. I still don't buy that every world featured so far has to be fairy tale related (still counting Greek and Middle Eastern mythology as entirely separate beasts), so I'd say as long as they wanted to do Jungle Book and for some reason didn't want to put it in KH3, then this would be the safest bet.

Yes I get the whole "other human character kind of threatens the role that Mowgli has in the story as the 'man-cub'" thing, but sometimes things like being a human in an area where there really shouldn't be any other humans didn't become a problem in KH worlds before. Deep Jungle ("Oh, you're human? Well I guess you aren't related to Tarzan..."), Deep Space (they don't even question Terra, Aqua, or Ventus being human, just being trespassers), Country of Musketeers or any Mickey world essentially, and let't not forget the flip-side to that where Donald and Goofy are anthropomorphic animals and yet no one in any of the mostly human-populated worlds they travel to ever question their appearance or existence. My point is that Jungle Book might have the potential to make Sora and gang's standard appearances become a bit of an issue, but there's also the potential for it to not be brought up as an issue at all, and thus it would apply to our Players as well.

Really I think the main reason they transformed for Pride Lands was because there were no human characters in Lion King whatsoever and all the character interactions happen between animals anyway so it would have been awkward. Maybe that might still apply to Jungle Book, but since there are at least 2 human characters and humans are brought up as a presence multiple times in the story I think it gives it some flexibility. I'd place it somewhere between Atlantica and Pride Lands in terms of whether it's necessary to look animal or not (or "creature-native" as it were), it might need a transformation to make it work, but it might not be necessary either. It's just my thought though, they will end up doing whatever they want to do, regardless of what either of us thinks is right.

Again, I don't doubt that Black Cauldron has as good a chance as any other previously obscure/underrated Disney movie, I'm just concerned about whether or not there will be interest in it. But then again, if Three Musketeers could make it then I suppose anything is fair play at this point. I have to admit, I'm curious as to how they would handle the story in a much more digestible format like Unchained X, without all of the voice acting issues or even some of the questionable writing of some characters (did not care for comic relief dog or the whiney nature of the main protagonist), so maybe having it take place in a text-based game can help fix some of those shortcomings. It's one of those movies that I wish had worked better, as I could see a lot of potential in it, so maybe having it in a KH game can give it a second chance. Whether it's been adapted in other games before or not doesn't concern me, I just want to make sure the good parts are highlighted more and the weak areas are worked around or even fixed. I think it has a decent chance, I'm just concerned with some of the issues the original had is all.

BTW, I do hope that Treasure Planet will still be included in KH3, that would make for such a fun world, potentially replacing Port Royal's ship sailing to different areas dynamic if they don't adapt another Pirates movie (I have feeling they will adapt one anyway, but even if they don't, you still have a pirate world as well as a space world).

I don't know, all I'm saying is for me personally, the Jungle Book never captured me the same way other Disney movies did as a child, so I don't know if there's enough rationalization for it to be in something as big as KH3. But the team clearly really wants to put Jungle Book into the picture somewhere down the line, and I figure Unchained X is probably the safest place to do that in. I still don't buy that every world featured so far has to be fairy tale related (still counting Greek and Middle Eastern mythology as entirely separate beasts), so I'd say as long as they wanted to do Jungle Book and for some reason didn't want to put it in KH3, then this would be the safest bet.

Yes I get the whole "other human character kind of threatens the role that Mowgli has in the story as the 'man-cub'" thing, but sometimes things like being a human in an area where there really shouldn't be any other humans didn't become a problem in KH worlds before. Deep Jungle ("Oh, you're human? Well I guess you aren't related to Tarzan..."), Deep Space (they don't even question Terra, Aqua, or Ventus being human, just being trespassers), Country of Musketeers or any Mickey world essentially, and let't not forget the flip-side to that where Donald and Goofy are anthropomorphic animals and yet no one in any of the mostly human-populated worlds they travel to ever question their appearance or existence. My point is that Jungle Book might have the potential to make Sora and gang's standard appearances become a bit of an issue, but there's also the potential for it to not be brought up as an issue at all, and thus it would apply to our Players as well.

Really I think the main reason they transformed for Pride Lands was because there were no human characters in Lion King whatsoever and all the character interactions happen between animals anyway so it would have been awkward. Maybe that might still apply to Jungle Book, but since there are at least 2 human characters and humans are brought up as a presence multiple times in the story I think it gives it some flexibility. I'd place it somewhere between Atlantica and Pride Lands in terms of whether it's necessary to look animal or not (or "creature-native" as it were), it might need a transformation to make it work, but it might not be necessary either. It's just my thought though, they will end up doing whatever they want to do, regardless of what either of us thinks is right.

Thing is though, the concept of being a human is the core of The Jungle Book. In Tarzan, there was more than one human in the movie to begin with, and in Deep Space, Ventus, Terra and Aqua were able to fit into the world as they were labelled as "Unidentified life forms" by Gantu. It's better to have The Jungle Book in Kingdom Hearts III, because again, it's a high profile Disney property. It's better to save the big guns for a mainline game as opposed to limiting it to a mobile game.

Although, there's also The Sword in The Stone to consider. Merlin has yet to make an appearance outside an evolve medal, and I feel as though that world is a good contender too. Fairy tale yet distinct enough to be an Unchained X exclusive without wasting a world slot for Kingdom Hearts III. Though the only reason as to why I rated The Black Cauldron over The Sword in The Stone is because of the latter's unusual narrative translating awkwardly for Kingdom Hearts Unchained X.

Thing is though, the concept of being a human is the core of The Jungle Book. In Tarzan, there was more than one human in the movie to begin with, and in Deep Space, Ventus, Terra and Aqua were able to fit into the world as they were labelled as "Unidentified life forms" by Gantu. It's better to have The Jungle Book in Kingdom Hearts III, because again, it's a high profile Disney property. It's better to save the big guns for a mainline game as opposed to limiting it to a mobile game.

Although, there's also The Sword in The Stone to consider. Merlin has yet to make an appearance outside an evolve medal, and I feel as though that world is a good contender too. Fairy tale yet distinct enough to be an Unchained X exclusive without wasting a world slot for Kingdom Hearts III. Though the only reason as to why I rated The Black Cauldron over The Sword in The Stone is because of the latter's unusual narrative translating awkwardly for Kingdom Hearts Unchained X.

If you say so, I'm just still kind of skeptical of Jungle Book's ability to live up to the hype a KH3 world should expect. I've always seen it as a good movie, but not really a great one. I guess we'll just have to see.

Sword in the Stone would be a great contender for any KH game in my opinion. Though I do think it might work a bit better for Unchained X. I don't remember too much about the movie, but I am aware that it kind of strays from the main narrative for a good middle portion of the movie, so maybe it might have to be worked around a bit. Still, I think because of that middle it would find a better home in Unchained, as your missions targeting Heartless could easily be interwoven into the time Merlin is spending to teach Arthur. The narrative still might have to be edited to fit as a KH story somewhat, but that's never been too big of a challenge before.

Ooh, it sounds pretty cool! I love it when a cartoon film has a dark tone, and from what you're telling me, it seems The Black Cauldron is one such film! I hope to watch it when I get the chance! :D

If you say so, I'm just still kind of skeptical of Jungle Book's ability to live up to the hype a KH3 world should expect. I've always seen it as a good movie, but not really a great one. I guess we'll just have to see.

Sword in the Stone would be a great contender for any KH game in my opinion. Though I do think it might work a bit better for Unchained X. I don't remember too much about the movie, but I am aware that it kind of strays from the main narrative for a good middle portion of the movie, so maybe it might have to be worked around a bit. Still, I think because of that middle it would find a better home in Unchained, as your missions targeting Heartless could easily be interwoven into the time Merlin is spending to teach Arthur. The narrative still might have to be edited to fit as a KH story somewhat, but that's never been too big of a challenge before.

Yeah, The Sword in The Stone is an unusual movie with the way it deviates its narrative halfway through to be an educational program of sorts. A battle against Mad Madam Mim would be worthwhile though as that's the most memorable scene in the entire movie. The movie itself is a lower profile Disney production, plus, there's also that Kingdom Hearts comic that had Sora and Riku in The Sword and The Stone world.

Though my question is, how is The Sword in The Stone going to aesthetically stand out from Enchanted Dominion and Dwarf Woodlands, because, that movie's Forest and Castles look like a mix between the two worlds...