Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Darkfire1408

Kingdom Hearts Coded Remake

While it seems a lot of fans didn't enjoy Coded or Days as much as the other games in the series, Re:Coded is personally my favorite. The level of customization with the stat matrix was particularly nice. It gave much more control to you over how powerful Data-Sora was, along with his enemies, and the Avatar sector made great use of the DS's multiplayer system at the time. While it didn't allow you to actually play together, it made for a good high difficulty challenge. I felt it at least deserved a remake rather than an HD Movie, which was mostly text anyways.

I think a remake could really be successful though, although I wouldn't want it to take much development time away from the next new title. Bringing it onto a modern console (Preferably Playstation and X-box although more realistically the switch) would allow for greater accessibility and more multiplayer content. The avatar sector could be expanded to be a more social online environment, think something similar to Super Mario Maker, where you can download people's floors and add them to your collection. You might even be able to connect it to your khux avatar. It could also be a good opportunity for square to follow up on Maleficent's threat of controlling the datascape, including a playable epilogue of Data Sora and Riku fending off Maleficent when she finally gets her hands on it.

Come to think of it, one of the Remind episodes in the KH3 DLC might be about Coded, maybe explaining why the darkubes look like bug blox.

Well, the avatar system in KHUX is already visually similar, and I assume square would have the capacity to link it to their own server. Instead of having its own avatar system with their own parts, if they linked it together you could use the same avatar, and likely even unlock/trade avatar parts like you could in Re:Coded by attaching them to your level in tag mode. Could maybe even give bonuses to Data Sora as you're playing through the sector, similarly to the bonuses you get in KHUX for avatar parts.

Sshhhhh…

(As a fan project I've been working on recreating Re:coded in Unreal Engine 4, focusing on the System Sector segments and the stat matrix, etc. and featuring a semi-original scenario. Despite that I find Re:coded to me by favorite as well, I've honestly never interfaced with the avatar system since I have no friends ∏_∏ but that's interesting that you bring it up. I'll have to look in to that.)

codedHD_screeny.png

The gameplay is the most interesting aspect, the plot is 99% world recycling like Chain of Memories (at least 358/2 Days mixed it up with new types of enemies) with only the very end having any importance to the overall plot as we know so far. It'd likely have taken too long to do a full 3D remake for the 2.5 collection, especially with voice acting for the Disney worlds. Even Re:Chain of Memories stuck with text boxes for the world scenes and only did dialogue for the Castle Oblivion cutscenes.

It is a shame, and a remake would be fun. Clean up the synthesis system, get in some voice acting (we still have the voice actors, even if HJO would need to reprise 14 year old Sora again) and paired with a 358/2 Days remake it'd be a good game. Not great, but still good and at least playable on something other that the original DS. Just being able to walk around the Destiny Islands would be nice, as it's only in re:coded and Kingdom Hearts 1 we can do that. Maybe expand some aspects, like introducing data worlds based on other worlds like Twilight Town and Disney worlds introduced in other games. Space Paranoids would be interesting as that's already set in a computer system. Also expand on the fates of the data versions of the characters. I've mentioned elsewhere that it's never explained what happened to Data Sora after Mickey returned to the physical world, and the idea that the denizens of the digital world can grow hearts is a juicy concept. Maybe the journal is linked up to DiZ's set-up, where there's already a Twilight Town.