Posted July 1, 20206 yr This is a special chat topic! This means that posts can be shorter and more casual here. Posts here are linked with and will on our Discord server.Join our Discord server here: https://www.kh13.com/discord/Or click here if you've already joined: https://discordapp.com/channels/179158453640495104/727986952909095003
September 29, 20233 yr true, true. counterpoint: that's what so, so many stories prior to the present day have had already. it's not so bad to get what we're getting now, really a drop in the bucket in comparisonoh, you hadn't heard?https://tenor.com/view/snl-saturday-night-live-saturday-night-live-gifs-dwayne-johnson-the-rock-gif-9682446https://tenor.com/view/snl-saturday-night-live-saturday-night-live-gifs-dwayne-johnson-the-rock-gif-9682446
September 29, 20233 yr That's a good point but, it's not enough that we have an, what I'd call debatebly an over abundance of this writing style, but, I think it's lead to less compelling villains, and, less memorable, impactfull heroes. Everyone loves a good villain, but half the time I find villains are given more fleshed out motivations and screen time than protagonists- not a bad thing on the surface, but Villians always have a cool factor that is just assumed, so, they were probably going to be liked anyway, but everyone wants to have their "big bad but empathize-with-able villian" and to me it's lead to inconsistent writing and identity for what the property wants, and points of division of the fanbase. Plus, I find that, when they do this to an established character like Sephiroth, people take this new information, and negatively compare the old writing to it; "Dude this is so much better Sephiroth was so under written before now he has MUCH more understandable motivations and personality", but not every thing needs to be told and explained- and on top of that, older villians, like Maleficent for example, or Joker and Darth Sidious are frowned upon because "ugh they're not deep enough."
September 29, 20233 yr alternativelyhttps://tenor.com/view/heavy-breathing-gus-sweet-tooth-nervous-anxious-gif-2101556655567958482https://tenor.com/view/heavy-breathing-gus-sweet-tooth-nervous-anxious-gif-2101556655567958482
September 29, 20233 yr Look tl;dr, I just think Sephiroth in OG is a better character and I don't think that's a bad thing lol- I know everyone does the whole "that's what you like and that's fine", but no one really means that lol.people only say that when they don't want to debate or come off like they're "the bad guy" in the discussion.
September 29, 20233 yr overabundance?? my guy, we're just now getting into this style for the most part. we've got millions of stories and you think the recent hundred constitute overabundance? like, i've been spoiled now because i've seen what can be. i can't go back to the days of the mustache-twirling villains tying ladies to train tracks. don't get me wrong, i can easily go back to what has been and enjoy it well enough, but stuff that's new? nah, it just doesn't fly anymoreas for sephiroth, i think it's largely ok if it's the same person making the changes as the one who created his story in the first place. it's like if tolkien was alive today and decided to give sauron a backstory that caused him to be seen in a different light. so long as you can reliably tell it was done of the author's own accord and not for easy money/clout or because studio execs got involved, i have fewer qualms about it. it's not someone taking another person's character and saying "hey, you know what would make this better" and potentially screwing everything up by accident(is it the same person in this case? i haven't been following closely enough)
September 29, 20233 yr Hey, I was talking to Fire guy and DaZ, you responded, I responded- I don't think the snarky "my guy" tone is warranted- i wasnt even talking to you lolI mean yeah sure, I'm definitely not a proponent to "Death of The Author", but I also think it'd a writers responsibility to recognize what their fans liked about the character in the first place too
September 29, 20233 yr i don't get this: i replied directly to your reply to me... it's too late for all thiscounterpoint: it's the author's creation. while you can argue that a character belongs to the fans to an extent, they also belong to the author. if the fans don't like a thing, they can express that, and the author can choose to do what they want with that info, whether to their success or to their detriment
September 29, 20233 yr it's just needIess imo Iike.. was this needed does this character need a backstoryin sephiroth's case, it makes him Iess intimidating and mysterious since weII we know everything about himwhen that air of mystique disappears, when you know everything about the monster you're facing, it makes them signifcantIy Iess threatening
September 29, 20233 yr I can agree with thatI'll be honest I think I brain farted and completely forgot I was replying to you lmaoSee that's true at point blank, but it depends on the character- Sephiroth is still scary lol he's just an obsessed stalker now.Well, actuallyHe's the obsessed stalker he was always portrayed as in everything accept the actual FF7 lol.Just now he's that in Remake/birth.
September 29, 20233 yr okay that's even worseI'm waiting.... cuhIoudwaiting for what what are you waiting for sephiroth is it IegaI is it safe
September 29, 20233 yr Yeah- obsessed Cloud stalker fanboy with an Odiepus ComplexThere's a fanbase joke in there somewhere...
This is a special chat topic! This means that posts can be shorter and more casual here. Posts here are linked with and will on our Discord server.
Join our Discord server here: https://www.kh13.com/discord/
Or click here if you've already joined: https://discordapp.com/channels/179158453640495104/727986952909095003