Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dracozombie

KHDays Xion Actually Does Stuff. Seriously.

Doesn't mean she's not a welcome addition for some people out there. :)

That's fine. But they get mad at me when I say she didn't need to be there. I mean. My fav character is Demyx and I can admit he isn't important.

That's fine. But they get mad at me when I say she didn't need to be there. I mean. My fav character is Demyx and I can admit he isn't important.

Well, when you tell someone a character they like doesn't need to be there--especially when they're a main character--they usually won't give you dandelions. xD Thing is with Demyx is that he had a minor role and only got a handful of scenes, so even his fans can say he isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.  It's a bit different when you're referring to a main character who gets plenty of screen time (for better or for worse, depending on if you're a fan of her).

But in the end Xion is still a plot device.

One could argue that some lead antagonists in stories are just plot devices used to cause conflict. (romantic comedies, the "bad guy", it doesn't matter what character you stick in here as long as they are worse than the protagonist and cause conflict) I am pretty sure you can notice similar things in some melodramas as well.I am not trying to defend Xion by saying this, but in the first game Mickey was basically a MacGuffin. He had practically no plot significance other than to move Donald and Goofy forwards. And at the end he didn't even help push the door shut, he only helped lock it. Essentially you could have stuck a different character in the same roll, and just acted like they were important and had the similar results. (I am excluding the popularity of Mickey and the anticipation of finally seeing him in the game because he was expected from the start) Because he was simply a plot device. Basically what I am trying to say if you can basically just replace one character with another character that has a totally different personality with the same alignment and get the exact same results, chances are someone could argue they are just a plot device.

So now I ask you, do you think they could have just through in any random character in Xion's place and had the same results? If not, I would have to say she was more than just a plot device. Does that mean she was needed? Who knows, but if she appeared in the writer's vision of the work, and how it should be seen, then yes, absolutely she was needed. Because what ever your belief, every character a writer puts into a story is put in their for a purpose. And the writer is almost* always right because it is their story to tell.*There might be a few exceptions, notably out of place things in historical fiction. Or possibly the writer not thinking clearly and then sticks by what he wrote even though he would like to change it. There could be a few other exceptions but the point is the writer has the ultimate say in the matter of what is right for the story.

Xion's a character that tends to invoke such things, yes.

Wait, I thought KH13 was all about fighting.  Peaceful discussions?  lol nah.

Nah, peaceful discussions here. IF you wanna see fighting, head over to KHInsider xD

Well written!!!! :) I love it when people stick up for Xion.... And Axel, but he doesn't need it as much. As for how none of the trio handled the situation right, they are Nobodies, and unaccustomed to emotion, not to mention Roxas and Xion haven't existed even a year yet. Good job!!!

Xion is just one of those characters who's easy to hate when viewing her from a specific view point.  She's also one of those characters who's easy to love when viewing her from a specific viewpoint.  Some call her selfish, I call her tragic and misguided.  Deal with it.

Xion hate is a dime a dozen.  Xion defense?  Far less common.  Why not try sticking up for characters who aren't almost unanimously loved?