Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Pretium

Marvel's Guide To Political Correctness

I Am Fine With Making An Alternate Version Of A Character In Their Own Comic. But That's Not Marvel's Style. Let's Take A Look At The Way Marvel Handles It's Characters In Their Established Comic Series. 

Thor - Becomes Unworthy And Loses His Hammer.

Captain America - Loses His Powers. 

Spider-Man - Dies.

Yup. My Fave Spidey Comic Series (Ultimate) Ends With Peter Biting The Big One In Order To Make Way For A New Spider-Man.. Wait, Boy.. Kid?? Anyway. I Don't Understand Marvel's Need To Destroy Heroes In Established Series To Make Way For Different People To Take The Mantels. Why Did They Not Just Create New Series For These Versions Of The Heroes? They Certainly Are Not Handling This PC Stuff With Much Tact.

Next Up: Tony Stark Goes Broke And A New Rich Guy (Or Woman? Child? Who Knows) Has To Be The New Iron Man/Woman/Child. (Iron Child, Has A Nice Ring, Right? xD).

Or They Could, You Know, Make A New Comic..

Edited by Pretium

Comics change. As much as I love Marvel and comics, I know not to take them too seriously. They're always going to experiment in big ways, so killing off characters to add more diversity isn't an exception. The diversity is nice to have, and we know that all these characters aren't going to stay dead or inactive forever, they'll come back and find a way to separate them from their replacements. Also, as for the Ultimate Spider-Man series, what's the point of having two versions of the same character? If there's going to be two Spider-Mans, they don't both need to be Peter. Peter is still alive and the Spider-Man of the main canon, and Miles is a pretty great Spidey for the Ultimate canon.

Well, Spider-Man started out as not much more than a kid himself, so I don't see what the age has to do with it. And half of Iron Man's entire point is how these suits can easily be transferred to other people (both good and bad).

But yeah, since these comics have been going on more than three times the number of decades I've been alive, it's not surprising that they feel the need (or even the desire) to challenge the status quo. That's how things stay interesting.

Maybe to state that being a hero doesn't mean you have it made after all is said and done? I like stories with conclusions better than the ones that just keep going on and on and on anyway, so part of it could be the effort to create a conclusion in a way that's more realistic than happily-ever-after. Plus people like drama. Just look at what's on television.

Comics change. As much as I love Marvel and comics, I know not to take them too seriously. They're always going to experiment in big ways, so killing off characters to add more diversity isn't an exception. The diversity is nice to have, and we know that all these characters aren't going to stay dead or inactive forever, they'll come back and find a way to separate them from their replacements. Also, as for the Ultimate Spider-Man series, what's the point of having two versions of the same character? If there's going to be two Spider-Mans, they don't both need to be Peter. Peter is still alive and the Spider-Man of the main canon, and Miles is a pretty great Spidey for the Ultimate canon.

I don't read comics, but with basically all media people tend to die in order to create drama and prevent the series from getting stale.

Well, Spider-Man started out as not much more than a kid himself, so I don't see what the age has to do with it. And half of Iron Man's entire point is how these suits can easily be transferred to other people (both good and bad).But yeah, since these comics have been going on more than three times the number of decades I've been alive, it's not surprising that they feel the need (or even the desire) to challenge the status quo. That's how things stay interesting.

I fail to see how this is related to political correctness. Also, why do you capitalize every single word?

Maybe to state that being a hero doesn't mean you have it made after all is said and done? I like stories with conclusions better than the ones that just keep going on and on and on anyway, so part of it could be the effort to create a conclusion in a way that's more realistic than happily-ever-after. Plus people like drama. Just look at what's on television.

Just Wanna Say That I Appreciate Everyone's Civil Responses. My Point Was, However, That They Did Not Handle It Well. They Did A Much Better Job With The New Ms. Marvel. No One Had To Die Or Lose Powers, Just So That They Could Be Replaced By An Afghanistani Girl. And Yet, Everything Just Sorta Flowed. Edited by Pretium