Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Pangoro "Sen"

My first proper sketch: Teddie from Persona 4

Oh, I don't mind at all! I really do want to get better, so any constructive criticism will help!

Cool, thats the way to think :) with an attitude like that you wont have any problems.

I'll Try to be nice x D

So first and foremost from what I can see here, all of your instincts seem to be in the right place. A lot of aspiring artists have no sense of shape or form but your drawing of teddie unlike other sketchers Ive seen is less a copy of the subject matter and more your own unique observation of him, While in some places the shapes you have used to describe teddies body are slightly innaccurate, the fact you have considered the shapes that make up his body at all is really impressive for a beginner, but while this talent is a good starting block it needs to be expanded on, allowed to flourish and grow.

You mentioned that you had trouble putting the bent arm in I believe? Well this is directly related to the idea of using shapes to build up the figure i mentioned above, I figure that the reason you had trouble with that is because you were worried about drawing it, when you start worrying about drawing something your natural drawing instincts go out the window and your brain kicks in, you cant let this happen. So what I would reccomend, in the future whenever you get stuck on a part of a drawing or start overthinking it, just think about the shapes that make up what you are trying to draw to help try calm yourself down and get your instincts back on track, because as I said earlier your drawing instincts are outstanding and you should let them flourish. Then once you have the shape established you can focus on making it look more like teddies arm, or whatever subject matter you are working on.

Another thing I noticed is that in places you have focused to much on fine details and not enough on the form of the body (Like on teddies zip in particular), or how those details would relate to the body. My main advice here, similarly to above would be that before you even start drawing the details of the subject matter establish very quickly on your page all the shapes that make up that body, and then add the details on top of that, just remember, form and shape always comes before details.

A good way to progress from where you are now and to practice what Ive advised would be to get pictures of subject matter you want to draw and practice establishing and identifying the shapes that make them up, even if you dont draw the details, just practice drawing the shapes over and over again and im sure you will notice your drawing skills increasing rapidly.

Cool, thats the way to think :) with an attitude like that you wont have any problems.

I'll Try to be nice x D

So first and foremost from what I can see here, all of your instincts seem to be in the right place. A lot of aspiring artists have no sense of shape or form but your drawing of teddie unlike other sketchers Ive seen is less a copy of the subject matter and more your own unique observation of him, While in some places the shapes you have used to describe teddies body are slightly innaccurate, the fact you have considered the shapes that make up his body at all is really impressive for a beginner, but while this talent is a good starting block it needs to be expanded on, allowed to flourish and grow.

You mentioned that you had trouble putting the bent arm in I believe? Well this is directly related to the idea of using shapes to build up the figure i mentioned above, I figure that the reason you had trouble with that is because you were worried about drawing it, when you start worrying about drawing something your natural drawing instincts go out the window and your brain kicks in, you cant let this happen. So what I would reccomend, in the future whenever you get stuck on a part of a drawing or start overthinking it, just think about the shapes that make up what you are trying to draw to help try calm yourself down and get your instincts back on track, because as I said earlier your drawing instincts are outstanding and you should let them flourish. Then once you have the shape established you can focus on making it look more like teddies arm, or whatever subject matter you are working on.

Another thing I noticed is that in places you have focused to much on fine details and not enough on the form of the body (Like on teddies zip in particular), or how those details would relate to the body. My main advice here, similarly to above would be that before you even start drawing the details of the subject matter establish very quickly on your page all the shapes that make up that body, and then add the details on top of that, just remember, form and shape always comes before details.

A good way to progress from where you are now and to practice what Ive advised would be to get pictures of subject matter you want to draw and practice establishing and identifying the shapes that make them up, even if you dont draw the details, just practice drawing the shapes over and over again and im sure you will notice your drawing skills increasing rapidly.

I see! Thanks for all of the advice! From what I'm understanding, your main point is that rather than drawing it as a whole thing, I should take it piece by piece with simple shapes before adding more detail. I'll try that next time, then!

Also, regarding the whole not worrying about drawing thing, I kind of took that advice already. See, instead of constantly going at it, I just spent time on other parts of Teddie's body for a while before going back to the arm. It took a few tries, but I got it rather quickly. But again, next time I'll try and break it down into shapes before making it more detailed.

Again, thanks for all of the criticism! I'll take these into account the next time I draw!

See, here's the problem. I really like this sketch, problems aside...

But I want to call it un-bear-able, in the spirit of Teddie. 

Heheh! Yeah, I don't blame you. But still, I'll be bear-y sure to continue making my drawings not crap, so you can never properly make that pun!

Nice . Now draw his human form  :D . Also I agree with Eternal's given feedback and most importantly practice and don't give up..

Maybe. I want to start with simpler designs for now. And, as a human, Teddie has a fairly simple design. At least for a Megaten character. He may be the first human I draw. But for now, I'm going to stick with simpler designs. For however simple suited Teddie is, anyways.

That's pretty good, but I'll just say it straight out, you made him a bit on the tall side.

Yeah, I know. That's one of the things I need to get better with. By the time I realized it, I didn't know how to make him shorter without erasing the whole thing, and a large part of me didn't want to do that. So I just left it. But in all honesty, if you weren't doing a side-by-side comparison, it would be difficult to notice the difference in height.