Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Shulk

A New Chapter for Fair Use on YouTube - h3h3Productions

I'm sure we all know what a crappy state the copyright protection on YouTube has been lately, and the wave of WTFU videos helped to highlight that but didn't do much more. Recently, the lack of fair use got to what might be the worst it's been so far: YouTube channel h3h3Productions was sued by a channel that posted a video they talked about in one of their own reaction videos. I won't go into a lot of detail on that situation, but they just posted the following video earlier today, and given that WTFU was a big topic on here not too long ago, I figured it'd be nice to share this. The video does have some swearing, but it's something I think that everyone following this whole fair use issue should watch since it looks like we might finally be able to turn things around.

You know things are that serious when TheFineBros and Keemstar i.e. DramaAlert are actually trying to help.

Viva la revolution.

It's all thanks to the FUPA that we can turn things around.

The worst part about this is is that even if H3H3 wins, it's still gonna cost them around $100k, and what the silver lining is about that is that the community is actually standing up and helping. I don't really like H3H3, I think reaction channels are a part of the cancer of YouTube that also includes drama and prank channels, but it's not about supporting them, this is basically a war about fair use. This "Bold Guy" channel is trying to use blanket censorship because H3 gave critique towards his channel and content. And that's just censoring opinions, if people let that slide, then look at all the power corporations will gain from that. I mean only recently FOX stole a clip from YouTube that was posted in 2009, put it in an episode of Family Guy and then THE ORIGINAL VIDEO GOT TAKEN OFF OF YOUTUBE FOR VIOLATING "COPYRIGHT LAWS" when in actual fact, FOX were actually breaking the law in the first place by stealing the video without permission and using it as their own. Thankfully that has all been resolved and the video's back up but that really epitomizes how broken YouTube is. And back to the topic, it's not even likely, if this does go to court, that H3 will win, the average person doesn't know shit about copyright laws, especially when it pertains to YouTube, so the jury won't know anything about what's being argued.

My point being is, this is basically a make or break for YT's system, if Bold Guy wins this suit and H3 loses, YouTube is going to have an utter shitstorm on their hands, and by shitstorm, I'm talking the entire internet vs YouTube.

The worst part about this is is that even if H3H3 wins, it's still gonna cost them around $100k, and what the silver lining is about that is that the community is actually standing up and helping. I don't really like H3H3, I think reaction channels are a part of the cancer of YouTube that also includes drama and prank channels, but it's not about supporting them, this is basically a war about fair use. This "Bold Guy" channel is trying to use blanket censorship because H3 gave critique towards his channel and content. And that's just censoring opinions, if people let that slide, then look at all the power corporations will gain from that. I mean only recently FOX stole a clip from YouTube that was posted in 2009, put it in an episode of Family Guy and then THE ORIGINAL VIDEO GOT TAKEN OFF OF YOUTUBE FOR VIOLATING "COPYRIGHT LAWS" when in actual fact, FOX were actually breaking the law in the first place by stealing the video without permission and using it as their own. Thankfully that has all been resolved and the video's back up but that really epitomizes how broken YouTube is. And back to the topic, it's not even likely, if this does go to court, that H3 will win, the average person doesn't know shit about copyright laws, especially when it pertains to YouTube, so the jury won't know anything about what's being argued. My point being is, this is basically a make or break for YT's system, if Bold Guy wins this suit and H3 loses, YouTube is going to have an utter shitstorm on their hands, and by shitstorm, I'm talking the entire internet vs YouTube.

Isn't there already a shitstorm with the internet vs YouTube?

Don't watch H3 (or any reacts, most are crap anyways), but I have been paying attention to the situation. H3 should counter sue for the fees. (I believe that's possible, but I'm not a lawyer.) It's messed up how greedy people want to be on YouTube. Like get a/another/better firetrucking job if you want so much money.

On the funny side, this "bold" guy's channel is getting destroyed in almost every way. Now it it can be literally destroyed; deleted.