Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Soul_Seeker

Soraalam1's BBS 0.2 Impressions

Inb4 Osaka teams games didn't suck they were limited to handheld devices we saw exactly how the command board played on the DS that's a big reason why they changed it to the command deck for the handhelds.

Inb4 Osaka teams games didn't suck they were limited to handheld devices we saw exactly how the command board played on the DS that's a big reason why they changed it to the command deck for the handhelds.

A game being on a handheld is a really poor excuse for it being bad. There are amazing games on the PSP and DS imo xD

Anyway, the video was really great and it definitely seems that Nomura stayed true to his word about KH3 being like KH2, thus 0.2 is also looking very similar to KH2 but also has a birth by sleep elements with a lot of new changes xD This just makes me more interested to see what KH3 is going to play like once it gets further into development. I hope 0.2 is balanced, that's all I need to know-otherwise the game will just be boring if I can spam the same attack constantly.

Edited by Barry Bacon Allen

Am I the only one who loved all the Osaka games and thought they were all incredibly fun, helped build the story and were very unique?  I see people trash the Osaka team too often and I just don't get it

Am I the only one who loved all the Osaka games and thought they were all incredibly fun, helped build the story and were very unique?  I see people trash the Osaka team too often and I just don't get it

I do but people's main issues are the games were too floaty and the command deck made things to easy.

The lack of things like enemy stagger also had an effect on people's decisions 

Shotlocks and Command Styles were both quite OP but Shotlocks weren't mandatory.

I dunno I like all of Osaka teams games I mean none of them are better then 2 but still.

I do but people's main issues are the games were too floaty and the command deck made things to easy.

Shotlocks and Command Styles were both quite OP but Shotlocks weren't mandatory.

I dunno I like all of Osaka teams games I mean none of them are better then 2 but still.

I remember it being floaty but is that really that big of a deal?  I feel like whenever I see a video someone makes about this theyre like "oh god this is the worst thing ever!", which seems to be how a lot of people act toward very minor things in the Osaka games.  Command decks definitely made things easier, but they weren't mandatory to beat the game.

The only thing I can agree with is the lack of stagger, especially in DDD, would have been better with a slight stagger and revenge factor.

This all isnt directed at you either, you seem like you are ok for the most part or at least indifferent when it comes to the Osaka games, I just dont understand the people who lose their shenanigans because Aqua spends a little more time in the air than Sora and hand held games arent console fluid.  Kinda seems like theyd be disappointed with anything if they are setting those standards

I remember it being floaty but is that really that big of a deal?  I feel like whenever I see a video someone makes about this theyre like "oh god this is the worst thing ever!", which seems to be how a lot of people act toward very minor things in the Osaka games.  Command decks definitely made things easier, but they weren't mandatory to beat the game.

The only thing I can agree with is the lack of stagger, especially in DDD, would have been better with a slight stagger and revenge factor.

This all isnt directed at you either, you seem like you are ok for the most part or at least indifferent when it comes to the Osaka games, I just dont understand the people who lose their shenanigans because Aqua spends a little more time in the air than Sora and hand held games arent console fluid.  Kinda seems like theyd be disappointed with anything if they are setting those standards

Oh don't get me wrong I love the Osaka games I still play BBS to this day and I can't wait to be playing DDD IN 60 fps.

But yeah I agree people get a bit to I dunno overly exaggerate the floatiness that didn't make the game easier or anything without stagger air combos were just sorta there I think people just disliked how the handhelds played despite the fact that originally everyone was praising them and loving them.

Wow, this was probably the best analysis I've seen on the 0.2 gameplay. Very in-depth, very focused on the points that matter. I'm not sure if I would entirely agree on the point of the movement being better than KH2 though; although in combat, it seems a lot more fluid, normal movement outside of combat still lacks the speed and agility Sora attains in KH2 after mastering all growth abilities. Then again, this is a demo so it'd be a bit too soon to speak.

I'm scared that something like Curaga will become ridiculously overpowered (similar to KH1). If it only takes half your MP and you restore a bunch of your health with it, you might be able to abuse it with added abilities (MP Haste, MP Rage, etc.) which thus leads to healing items being obsoleted. That was kinda the case in KH1 by mid-end game; Cure was better than any other magic spell and HP healing item you had, so you basically just spammed that to survive. 

Although it's pretty cool the way Aqua autojumps and interacts with the environment, I'm not sure if I'll be a big fan of it; it feels like it can be annoying, especially in the middle of combat. Say I'm comboing an enemy, and then accidently reach a gap where I autojump and my combo stops. Not sure if that'll be a problem or not.

Other than that, Dean pretty much said everything. The end was really good too; it's important to understand that this is a demo, not the actual game, nor is it KH3; therefore, we can't judge whether KH3 will be good or not based on this.

It's probably not too big of a deal to a casual player, and I can understand why many would become confused. However, for hardcore KH players, speedrunners, challenge players, etc. this is a HUGE problem. Especially in a game like KH3 where you're probably gonna want to replay it like 50 times, you want replayability. 

People go crazy over "floatiness" because it basically makes combos completely useless. It's so slow and weak that it's not even a viable option by mid-game. Sure, it seems like a "little more air time" than Sora, but it makes the combos so much weaker that commands are better in every single way. You can't exactly blame people for that either; it's because KH2 set a pretty high bar for the games to reach, and the handhelds just..weren't even close.

The issue isn't even mainly with "floatiness" in the handhelds; it's balancing. Sure, to a casual player balancing isn't too big of an issue. However for someone who plays the game over and over and wishes to challenge themselves, playing on higher difficulties doesn't make things more difficult; it makes things more tedious, because the ONLY way you can beat the game is to spam OP attacks. That's the problem; not because "so and so said unbalanced attacks are bad", but because it makes the game lose entertainment and replay value. Which I'm sure no one wants for KH3. The expectations are high, and whether Osaka carries it out, we'll just have to wait and see.

Anyways, being critical isn't a bad thing y'know. A lot of people misinterpret it as hate, but typically, the hardcore players who are being critical of the handhelds just want the best for their games, so they want to eliminate as many flaws as possible for the highly anticipated KH3.

Wow, this was probably the best analysis I've seen on the 0.2 gameplay. Very in-depth, very focused on the points that matter. I'm not sure if I would entirely agree on the point of the movement being better than KH2 though; although in combat, it seems a lot more fluid, normal movement outside of combat still lacks the speed and agility Sora attains in KH2 after mastering all growth abilities. Then again, this is a demo so it'd be a bit too soon to speak.

I'm scared that something like Curaga will become ridiculously overpowered (similar to KH1). If it only takes half your MP and you restore a bunch of your health with it, you might be able to abuse it with added abilities (MP Haste, MP Rage, etc.) which thus leads to healing items being obsoleted. That was kinda the case in KH1 by mid-end game; Cure was better than any other magic spell and HP healing item you had, so you basically just spammed that to survive. 

Although it's pretty cool the way Aqua autojumps and interacts with the environment, I'm not sure if I'll be a big fan of it; it feels like it can be annoying, especially in the middle of combat. Say I'm comboing an enemy, and then accidently reach a gap where I autojump and my combo stops. Not sure if that'll be a problem or not.

Other than that, Dean pretty much said everything. The end was really good too; it's important to understand that this is a demo, not the actual game, nor is it KH3; therefore, we can't judge whether KH3 will be good or not based on this.

It's probably not too big of a deal to a casual player, and I can understand why many would become confused. However, for hardcore KH players, speedrunners, challenge players, etc. this is a HUGE problem. Especially in a game like KH3 where you're probably gonna want to replay it like 50 times, you want replayability. 

People go crazy over "floatiness" because it basically makes combos completely useless. It's so slow and weak that it's not even a viable option by mid-game. Sure, it seems like a "little more air time" than Sora, but it makes the combos so much weaker that commands are better in every single way. You can't exactly blame people for that either; it's because KH2 set a pretty high bar for the games to reach, and the handhelds just..weren't even close.

The issue isn't even mainly with "floatiness" in the handhelds; it's balancing. Sure, to a casual player balancing isn't too big of an issue. However for someone who plays the game over and over and wishes to challenge themselves, playing on higher difficulties doesn't make things more difficult; it makes things more tedious, because the ONLY way you can beat the game is to spam OP attacks. That's the problem; not because "so and so said unbalanced attacks are bad", but because it makes the game lose entertainment and replay value. Which I'm sure no one wants for KH3. The expectations are high, and whether Osaka carries it out, we'll just have to wait and see.

Anyways, being critical isn't a bad thing y'know. A lot of people misinterpret it as hate, but typically, the hardcore players who are being critical of the handhelds just want the best for their games, so they want to eliminate as many flaws as possible for the highly anticipated KH3.

Like what thatkingdomheartsguy said, it is to the hardcore gamer and even the casual one sometimes (Version2lp). BBS suffers from unbalancing and lack of polishing, It's a game where on the flip of a coin your either OP or your enemy is and there is nothing you can do about it. In KH2 you can use everything you had to fight and it mattered what you did but in BBS the only things that mattered are commands, shotlocks, and style changes and the same goes with 3D for Flowmo and Commands. The mentality is "Why would I use "fill in the blank" when there is clearly something more powerful." Look at re:Coded, the game that I think gets waaaaay to much hate and the game that also was made by the Osaka Team had the best gameplay out of the two other games they made. You can't blame it on the fact that it was on a handheld and those things are limiting because I've played a bunch of games on them that didn't even feel the slightest bit limited other than the graphics and plus Re:Coded was on the DS which is even more limited than the PSP and 3ds. Re:Coded was balanced, the commands weren't OP, and combos even mattered. 

To answer your question thatkingdomheartsguy, in KH3 trailers and even in the 0.2 demo you can see that the ground combo immediately turns into an air combo if you go off the edge.

Edited by Kingdomhe

Like what thatkingdomheartsguy said, it is to the hardcore gamer and even the casual one sometimes (Version2lp). BBS suffers from unbalancing and lack of polishing, It's a game where on the flip of a coin your either OP or your enemy is and there is nothing you can do about it. In KH2 you can use everything you had to fight and it mattered what you did but in BBS the only things that mattered are commands, shotlocks, and style changes and the same goes with 3D for Flowmo and Commands. The mentality is "Why would I use "fill in the blank" when there is clearly something more powerful." Look at re:Coded, the game that I think gets waaaaay to much hate and the game that also was made by the Osaka Team had the best gameplay out of the two other games they made. You can't blame it on the fact that it was on a handheld and those things are limiting because I've played a bunch of games on them that didn't even feel the slightest bit limited other than the graphics and plus Re:Coded was on the DS which is even more limited than the PSP and 3ds. Re:Coded was balanced, the commands weren't OP, and combos even mattered. 

To answer your question thatkingdomheartsguy, in KH3 trailers and even in the 0.2 demo you can see that the ground combo immediately turns into an air combo if you go off the edge.

Re:coded was actually developed by a studio called "h.a.n.d.", which also made 358/2 Days. Which means Osaka didn't actually make it. Ironically enough, however, I believe it had the best gameplay out of the handhelds.

Edited by Rocketboy

Re:coded was actually developed by a studio called "h.a.n.d.", which also made 358/2 Days. Which means Osaka didn't actually make it. Ironically enough, however, I believe it had the best gameplay out of the handhelds.

Re:coded was balanced but also had the lack of an actual story and the gameplay felt just gimmicky at times.

Hardcore gamer? Considering I Play BBS and 2 hardcore I feel like I have to address some things

-The only time I felt spamming commands was with terra on Mysterious figure and that's because he is unbeatable I agree he's cheap like that-

>Your right you don't have to use the combos and just spam the commands but you are just ruining the fun by doing that even as a hardcore that's just boring and you are the one doing it not the game. Maybe if I was a speedrunner I'd understand but KH games were never meant for speedrunning tbf

>The floatiness did not effect my speed all that much its an issue sure but it isn't something that's overly a problem.

>Combos were weak? I'm pretty sure they weren't with Aqua they were at their weakest for a rather obvious reason. And due to how BBS plays I expected from the bat that the combos wouldn't be as in depth as KH2's it was a handheld

>h a n d developed Re:coded Osaka teams most balanced game may just be BBS while DDD is their most unbalanced

Edited by TheKeyofRose

A game being on a handheld is a really poor excuse for it being bad. There are amazing games on the PSP and DS imo xD

Anyway, the video was really great and it definitely seems that Nomura stayed true to his word about KH3 being like KH2, thus 0.2 is also looking very similar to KH2 but also has a birth by sleep elements with a lot of new changes xD This just makes me more interested to see what KH3 is going to play like once it gets further into development. I hope 0.2 is balanced, that's all I need to know-otherwise the game will just be boring if I can spam the same attack constantly.

Yep.

It isn't the 3DS' fault that 3D is partly pet simulator.

It isn't the DS' fault that days is so repetitive.

It isn't the PSP's fault that enemies don't have a proper counter system so bosses like Vanitas counter after 1 hit.

Yep.

It isn't the 3DS' fault that 3D is partly pet simulator.

It isn't the DS' fault that days is so repetitive.

It isn't the PSP's fault that enemies don't have a proper counter system so bosses like Vanitas counter after 1 hit.

People just look for ways to blame anything but the Osaka Team so it doesn't make the KH game seem that bad.

At least Days had a quality story on the level of 1 and 2 or close to. BBS is fanfiction

At the end of the day, it's an action RPG where I should be able to string together tons of fluid and fast combos. It may not seem like a big deal, but combos are the meat of an action RPG. If they feel like I'm fighting in slow motion then it becomes a problem.

The balancing issue is also a huge problem that shows poor game design. In fighting games where I have a huge roster of characters it's not that big of deal if one character is slightly OP e.g Naruto Storm 4. But for an ARPG the game will lack replay value. People go back to KH1 and KH2 because there are tons of ways to defeat bosses and every play through feels fresh. BBS has overpowered shot locks like Prism Rain and Ultima Cannon, infinite cartwheels and dodge rolls, terrible AI and playing the game on critical is laughable because it is so easy.

I've always said that the KH fanbase is divided into 3 sections

Those who played the handhelds and disliked them or only liked 1 or 2 of them

Those who played the handhelds and loved them

Those who haven't played the handhelds and only played KH1 and KH2.

KH1, KH2, Days and RE:COM/COM feel like they've been made by people who gave a shit about what they were doing. BBS, DDD and Unchained Chi/Chi feel like they've been made by people who don't give a shit about what they are doing xD

Edited by Barry Bacon Allen

People just look for ways to blame anything but the Osaka Team so it doesn't make the KH game seem that bad.

At least Days had a quality story on the level of 1 and 2 or close to. BBS is fanfiction

It happens tons of times when a series that has its main games on an home-console get some side-games for habdhelds(I am speaking development-wise, not story-wise)

The KH series is where I see it most of the time since there are more games on handhelds than there are on home consoles.

And honestly Days isn't as bad as 3D or BBS, but rather dissapointing. Aside from it being reptitive, the only 2 other problems I have is that a few bosses take quite a long time to beat(looking at you, Ruler of The Sky) and that you can't edit the deck mid-mission.

Both 3D and BBS felt repetitve for me because of the wrong use with the mutiple playable characters. You visit the same worlds and sometimes fight the same bosses as well, not to mention going for 100%.

As for the story, Days had some instances where I hated the plot, and the 'who else will I have ice cream with' line that made me laugh, but that's not even close to the other 2.

3D is where I decided to give-up on the plot since it bored me. Although Xehanort has some comedy gold moments(All these times the character say how genious he is yet his plans fail like 7 times because of the smallest things xD)

Hardcore gamer? Considering I Play BBS and 2 hardcore I feel like I have to address some things

-The only time I felt spamming commands was with terra on Mysterious figure and that's because he is unbeatable I agree he's cheap like that-

>Your right you don't have to use the combos and just spam the commands but you are just ruining the fun by doing that even as a hardcore that's just boring and you are the one doing it not the game. Maybe if I was a speedrunner I'd understand but KH games were never meant for speedrunning tbf

>The floatiness did not effect my speed all that much its an issue sure but it isn't something that's overly a problem.

>Combos were weak? I'm pretty sure they weren't with Aqua they were at their weakest for a rather obvious reason. And due to how BBS plays I expected from the bat that the combos wouldn't be as in depth as KH2's it was a handheld

>h a n d developed Re:coded Osaka teams most balanced game may just be BBS while DDD is their most unbalanced

-My only assumption is that you've never played the game on Critical/Level 1, because then, I'd genuinely be impressed if you got through the game without abusing OP commands. It's basically impossible to beat MF at high difficulties/low levels without Thunder and Fire Surges, even more so with Terra.

-That's not the problem though. It's not like you have a choice between using combos and commands, and that you're "ruining the fun" by just spamming. What it means is that if you use combos AT ALL at, say, Level 1 Crit, you would 1. deal absolutely zero damage, and 2. die, because combos are the slowest damn things on the planet. That's the inherent problem; BBS doesn't even give you the choice to use combos on super high difficulties, which is WHY hardcore players despise it. It's like saying, "Hey I want a challenge" and then when you try to challenge yourself, the game responds with, "Nope, the only way to win is the spam OP stuff; anything else will make playing the game completely impossible." Also not sure what you mean by that last part; theoretically speaking, no games are probably programmed purely based on speedrunning. It's just another way to enjoy the game; hell, KH2 is probably one of the best speedruns that you can find.

-It's fine that combos aren't as good as KH2, and I wasn't expecting it to be. However, when combos can actively get you killed on a higher difficulty is where the problem comes in. I can only assume at this point that you've never played Level 1 Crit, so let me clear this up: hardcore players would want to challenge themselves, and playing Level 1 Crit is theoretically the "highest" challenge the game can offer. In the end though, combos are completely useless and only like 5 commands are viable options...for the entire game. That doesn't make the game hard; it just makes it boring and tedious. 2FM forced you to learn the game's mechanics in and out on Level 1 Crit; BBS forced you to spam the triangle and square button until you win. See the difference? It's why people hate BBS so much; it's a huge downgrade from 2FM, and replayability values on higher difficulties is basically nonexistent.

Also yeah, balancing is one of the problems, but that doesn't mean BBS is perfect aside from that. There are a ton of minor gameplay factors that make BBS so hated; to give you an idea, here's a quick list:

-Invincible dodges on Aqua and Ven

-Command Style changes interrupting combos/death

-Non staggering bosses

-Bosses without any form of revenge/randomly break out (aka Vanitas)

Those are just a few off the top of my head; there's probably way more out there. Anyways, point being; you can find the game fun and all, but you have to understand that these flaws are apparent in the game. Not saying people have to hate the game for it, but saying the game is well designed is the part where you'll be wrong. Opinion: BBS is fun. Fact: BBS is a badly designed game.

-My only assumption is that you've never played the game on Critical/Level 1, because then, I'd genuinely be impressed if you got through the game without abusing OP commands. It's basically impossible to beat MF at high difficulties/low levels without Thunder and Fire Surges, even more so with Terra.

-That's not the problem though. It's not like you have a choice between using combos and commands, and that you're "ruining the fun" by just spamming. What it means is that if you use combos AT ALL at, say, Level 1 Crit, you would 1. deal absolutely zero damage, and 2. die, because combos are the slowest damn things on the planet. That's the inherent problem; BBS doesn't even give you the choice to use combos on super high difficulties, which is WHY hardcore players despise it. It's like saying, "Hey I want a challenge" and then when you try to challenge yourself, the game responds with, "Nope, the only way to win is the spam OP stuff; anything else will make playing the game completely impossible." Also not sure what you mean by that last part; theoretically speaking, no games are probably programmed purely based on speedrunning. It's just another way to enjoy the game; hell, KH2 is probably one of the best speedruns that you can find.

-It's fine that combos aren't as good as KH2, and I wasn't expecting it to be. However, when combos can actively get you killed on a higher difficulty is where the problem comes in. I can only assume at this point that you've never played Level 1 Crit, so let me clear this up: hardcore players would want to challenge themselves, and playing Level 1 Crit is theoretically the "highest" challenge the game can offer. In the end though, combos are completely useless and only like 5 commands are viable options...for the entire game. That doesn't make the game hard; it just makes it boring and tedious. 2FM forced you to learn the game's mechanics in and out on Level 1 Crit; BBS forced you to spam the triangle and square button until you win. See the difference? It's why people hate BBS so much; it's a huge downgrade from 2FM, and replayability values on higher difficulties is basically nonexistent.

Also yeah, balancing is one of the problems, but that doesn't mean BBS is perfect aside from that. There are a ton of minor gameplay factors that make BBS so hated; to give you an idea, here's a quick list:

-Invincible dodges on Aqua and Ven

-Command Style changes interrupting combos/death

-Non staggering bosses

-Bosses without any form of revenge/randomly break out (aka Vanitas)

Those are just a few off the top of my head; there's probably way more out there. Anyways, point being; you can find the game fun and all, but you have to understand that these flaws are apparent in the game. Not saying people have to hate the game for it, but saying the game is well designed is the part where you'll be wrong. Opinion: BBS is fun. Fact: BBS is a badly designed game.

Re:coded was balanced but also had the lack of an actual story and the gameplay felt just gimmicky at times.

The only games that are meant for speedrunning are Sonic games.