Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
DChiuch

How to contribute to the Kingdom Hearts Datascape + Q&A

With our new wiki-style project now in full swing, we'd like to invite everyone to contribute as much as they like. This topic will serve as a brief overview of the Datascape, and answer common questions about how to contribute. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask them below.

In what ways can I contribute?

We're looking for people to do any number of the following:

- Create new projects (projects are collections of pages, like "Characters" or "Worlds")
- Help manage existing projects
- Participate in the project discussion topics
- Create new pages in projects
- Edit and add information to pages in projects

How are we going to organise this?

Within the Datascape, we're going to have "Projects". "Projects" will generally be aimed at completing one section of the Datascape, for example, we'll have a "Project: Characters" for completing all of the Characters pages. Each project will have its own topic in this forum, a project leader, and a group of volunteers tasked with completing the project. The project leader will be in charge of managing the project and making sure that it gets completed – this means that they'll maintain the official topic for the project here, including a general outline of the page structure, a schedule, a list of volunteers, and so on.

How can I create a new project?

Please use the "propose a new project here" topic to suggest and discuss new project ideas. After this, we'll create the database for you, and you'll be ready to start working on it. 

How can I add a page?

- Go to the appropriate database (for example, Characters)
- Click the “Add New” button on the top corner of the page
- Fill out the editor like it appears, including all fields
- Click “Save” at the bottom of the page. The page is now available to be edited and seen by everyone

How can I edit a page?

This works much the same as adding a page, but instead, you go to the page itself and click the "Edit" button at the bottom.

Anything else?

Please ask all questions below.

5 minutes ago, PrinceNoctis said:

The "Edit" button only appears at the bottom of pages I've created. Is this normal?

Thanks for reporting this – it should be fixed now. Please let me know if you run into any other issues.

8 minutes ago, PrinceNoctis said:

I can only put one game in the "game this soundtrack covers" section for the soundtrack pages. But some of the soundtracks cover multiple games. Could this be fixed please?

Oops yeah I forgot about those soundtracks – fixed.

In future please use the appropriate project topic here :)

Thanks a lot for contributing!

29 minutes ago, DChiuch said:

Oops yeah I forgot about those soundtracks – fixed.

In future please use the appropriate project topic here :)

Thanks a lot for contributing!

Sorry, I couldn't see the project topic for soundtracks and I don't know who the project leader is so I didn't really know if I should comment here or wait for him to create the topic.

2 hours ago, PrinceNoctis said:

Sorry, I couldn't see the project topic for soundtracks and I don't know who the project leader is so I didn't really know if I should comment here or wait for him to create the topic.

Oh true, sorry you're right – it's an unassigned project right now. Please feel free to create the topic and take it if you like.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:07 AM, DChiuch said:

Thanks for reporting this – it should be fixed now. Please let me know if you run into any other issues.

Hey DChiuch, I think this is happening in the Soundtrack section. I wanted to add more detail to 3 of the soundtrack pages, but I didn't create them so I don't seem to see the Edit option at the bottom of the page.

1 minute ago, blue490246 said:

Hey DChiuch, I think this is happening in the Soundtrack section. I wanted to add more detail to 3 of the soundtrack pages, but I didn't create them so I don't seem to see the Edit option at the bottom of the page.

Don't know how I missed that – you're right, it wasn't configured correctly. Fixed now. I've also double checked all of the other databases.

Just now, DChiuch said:

Don't know how I missed that – you're right, it wasn't configured correctly. Fixed now. I've also double checked all of the other databases.

No worries! Thanks for the quick fix!

Just a few things and nitpicks:

- Great work so far! It's cool to see lots of people contributing.
- We're following the Wikipedia style guide, so, generally we'll follow how they would write something. One important one is the trademarks manual of style, specifically, to not capitalise words just because they're branded that way. So "Kingdom Hearts", not "KINGDOM HEARTS".
- Please feel free to set the page URLs to whatever makes the most sense, instead of using the auto-generated one. So usually something like "100-acre-wood" or "kingdom-hearts-3" – sort of turning the title lowercase and putting dashes instead of spaces.