Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Yes, you probably heard of this anime on the web a lil while ago, the one by Kyoto Animation that came out this year....

If you haven't.....well this topic doesnt apply to you. xD

Well anyways I just finished watching the series, read a translation of the 2nd Light Novel and I'm just wondering....

Whats with all the hate towards this anime!?

Like yeah, fanservice and no plot but....BUT....come on. Which popular anime these days don't have a bit of fanservice in it and even though yeah this counts as ecchi.....I mean like, it's not like it's over the top like some anime you know.....(*Cough Crappy DxD)

And on with the plot...just because each episode has little relation with the previous episode doesn't necessarily mean that the plot is really bad. I mean, there are LOADS and LOADS of anime out there which don't have like a linear plot (did I use the right word? Probably not).

​And like.......yes the plots pretty underdeveloped I'll admit it.....Read Volume 2 of the Light Novel.

You seriously won't see that plot twist coming, I can guarantee you that! xD

Anyways yeah, I just don't see all the need of bashing this one. Yes, on MyAnimeList it has a rating of 7.3 which is pretty okay but if you look at the top reviews.....thts some pretty HATEFUL stuff. WHY!? It's not that bad xD Your thoughts?......if you have seen it lol

If you want my personal opinion on phantom world, then I'll have to say that it's pretty bad, it was hard getting past the first couple of episodes just because of the unnecessary fan service; to this day, the only fan service anime that I have seen that is actually funny or doesn't hinder the anime at all is shokugeki no soma, Elfin lied, and kill la kill. Hayao Miyazaki said it best himself, that as long as anime is made by fans it won't ever convey real characters and situations. Yes a lot of anime now a days have fan service, but most of the non harem ones do it every so often. In phantom world where every female is going to get either felt up or up skirted once per episode is kind of ridiculous, even that limbo episode, you can tell it was made by a man who has NEVER seen a naked woman before in real life, breasts don't bounce like they are basketballs unless you get some pretty extensive surgery done. All in all the story was meh and it tried to make you come back each week just to see how the girls get screwed over. I binge watch series after the season is over so if it can't hold me during a back to back session then in my opinion it's garbage.

Disclaimer: I have not finished this anime. I watched the first 5 episodes and stopped.I don't plan on finishing this anime anytime soon. The negative feedback is an accumulation of multiple things. The hype that surrounded the show before it aired, the fact that KyoAni animated this, and the overall dislike towards ecchi shows.I don't know if you were around for the pre-hype to this show, but it was pretty big. There was a lot of talk about how KyoAni is God, the source material is good, and how all these cool people are working on this anime. The hype let people down, naturally, as that's inherent in every hyped thing. Also doesn't help it's not that great.Focusing more on KyoAni, many people were excited that they were coming out with another anime. They have an impressive lineup, as you may know. Lucky Star, K-On, and Hibike Euphonium to name a few. They were excited for the eye-catching visuals and the possibility for fight scenes from KyoAni, which are few and far between, last anime I remember with that is Kyoukai no Kanata. They got that at least, but they were also expecting a good story. Anime like Chunnibyou had included anime original characters to keep the anime interesting and have new character interactions, which are usually the focus in KyoAni's anime. I can't say anything about the story, obviously, but their character interactions were boring, along with their personalities. Maybe they evolve later, I don't know. But, I don't see how they'd be able to 7 more episodes after 5 episodes of nothing.You also have the opposite side of the spectrum, people who don't even like KyoAni in the first place. Be it them propagating moeshit or just going against the hype. They come out of the woodworks with a way louder voice than people who are content with the anime, which may explain why you seem alone in your stance.All I got out of these 5 episodes was that this anime is an ecchi show with shoddy foreshadowing that doesn't seem to go anywhere. I admit the characters look really nice (Reina a best), but the art and animation can only carry it so far. There was no substance,but acted like there was or will be, and as far as I'm aware, the only coherent plot kicks in the last two episodes, which is far too late.As for my own opinion, it's just another ecchi show. Kyoto Animation has done a fantastic job once again with its animation and art, but just lacks in everything else. Again, take it with a grain of salt, since I haven't finished it. Nothing has really made me want to anyways.

Edited by Kyouma-Blade

I felt like the show had potential, but never capitalised on it. It never really progressed and the characters never really grew, it just felt like the same thing each episode. In the last two episodes where something really investing does happen, it just reminds me of how little the show actually achieved story wise. A good test would be to ask yourself: what was the point, what was accomplished or set up for the future? The show isn't horrible, but it does nothing to truly warrant its existence. It's gorgeous though, I'll give it that much.

P.S. The main cast have no chemistry,which is a big minus for me.

Edited by Kalen Bellamy